Noob to high wattage reg mod...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSquishy

Aug 15, 2014
Orlando FL
For a while now I've only done some building of my own with vtc5/4 and some lgs and using no more than 50 w reg mods. I really want to get myself a new smok alien and maybe a Battlestar. But I'm unsure what batteries I should use! I don't trust the b&m near me because most of them sell efest and recommend those. I have one that sells the brown lgs (not sure of the model) but again don't trust them to be the sharpest tools in the shed!

I'd ideally like to have a battery I can use for a while with like the baby beast and beast. (I don't own either yet but want a good Vapor production - flavor production tank for work! Hence why I want to get an alien lol. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Oh I also would like to state I've seen imren batteries that have a good claim but don't see mooch rate them.... (not going to lie I've used them in my kanger)

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Check out this thread in the General forum. It has info on what batteries to choose and where to buy them: Best website for buying batteries?

EDI -: In a nutshell (large pic, click spoiler to view):
battery-chart-jpeg.619391
Notice that the LG HG2 (aka "the brown LG's") have the note "LOTS of counterfeits around, only buy from trusted vendors." I would ask the B&M where they source their batteries, and if their supplier is not listed in this image (or if they won't tell you who their supplier is) I wouldn't buy from them.

Last edited:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I've been using the chocolate LG's in my Alien with the Baby Beast and my new G-Priv 220 with the Big Baby Beast and have been happy with those.....easily last the whole day. I don't use my TFV8 cloud beast all day, so can't be sure if that would go all day, but think it would get you through an 8 hour work day.

And if you have a choice, pick up the Big Baby Beast rather then the Baby Beast for less fillings of the tank at work.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
For a while now I've only done some building of my own with vtc5/4 and some lgs and using no more than 50 w reg mods. I really want to get myself a new smok alien and maybe a Battlestar. But I'm unsure what batteries I should use! I don't trust the b&m near me because most of them sell efest and recommend those. I have one that sells the brown lgs (not sure of the model) but again don't trust them to be the sharpest tools in the shed!
I'd ideally like to have a battery I can use for a while with like the baby beast and beast. (I don't own either yet but want a good Vapor production - flavor production tank for work! Hence why I want to get an alien lol. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Oh I also would like to state I've seen imren batteries that have a good claim but don't see mooch rate them.... (not going to lie I've used them in my kanger)
Welcome and glad you joined. "Any recommendations" Yes.
Might like to read:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
(12) Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries - Part I | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor

Reactions: SuperSquishy

SuperSquishy

Aug 15, 2014
Orlando FL
Unfortunately two of those are dead links. Also one says use efest but everywhere else says don't trust efest... Much confused!?!? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Who_Dey_1991

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2016
Ohio
Get batteries from either Sony, Samsung or LG. If you get the brown LG's, HG2's, make sure they're authentic. Unless you're planning on running over 100W, 20A batteries should fine. You can get 25A but you'll sacrifice a little mah. I am running Sony VTC5A'S in my alien. I haven't gone above 40W yet so I know I'm well within my CDR.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: KenD

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I plan on going over 100 watts. I also heard Sony stopped making batteries? What's this I hear about the vtc5a and vtc6?

In the Alien 25 amp batteries (Sony vtc5a, not the vtc5) are good for about 130w, 30 amp batteries (LG hb2/4/6, only 1500 mAh) up to about 155w. There are no batteries rated higher than 30 amps.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: DaveP

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
Well.. good news is for a regulated mod, pretty much any high quality, brand name, high drain battery is fine. What you are looking for is SONY, SAMSUNG, LG, high drain. With a regulated mod, the software balances your amps and watts. So the LG Browns are probably the best, 20A and 3000Mah (longer run time), Samsung 25R have slightly shorter runtime (2500 Mah *If I remember right* and 20 Amp), both are fine, but the LG will give a bit longer run time. So basically, the more Mah the longer you can go between charges. But any high drain 20 to 25A (2250 to 3000MaH) battery will do. Just remember, brand name is important. Rebranded batteries are factory 2nds that failed manufacturer quality control tests in some way. For the sake of a couple dollars, I want the GOOD batteries, not some factory 2nd that I don't know what part of QC failed. Remember, there is a BIG difference between venting out and blowing up. Regulated mods are the safEST but not 100% SAFE. Rarely, the protection circuits can fail allowing a hard short. For the sake of $2 I want my battery to vent out to 0 volts and NOT blow up in my pocket.

Now IF you ever want to try out mech mods, ask about those. The answer is a bit different. Basically, for regulated mods high Mah is better, for mechanical mods high ConstantDischargeRate *CDR* (amps) is better, but again, stick to the top end batteries. To be honest, I vaped for 6 months before even looking at a mech. There is a ton of info to learn and safety measures to follow. To be honest, the regulated mods give the better vape anyway.

Last edited:

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
I plan on going over 100 watts. I also heard Sony stopped making batteries? What's this I hear about the vtc5a and vtc6?

any of the previously mentioned batteries are fine for 100w+ regulated mods. Over 80w most mods have 2 cells anyway. Software regulates it all the same.

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
In all my mechs, unregulateds, & Hi-watt applications i use LG hb series batteries.
Could care less about run time. It's about the current & head space..
Pretty much, since I need to recharge around 3.6 volts anyway. It starts dropping off around 3.8v and much lower than 3.6 is like sucking air. LOL. I constantly have my regulated mod on the go, and 1 battery in my mech and 1 charging. I need more mech batteries though. I kind of abuse my batteries. Beat them like a circus monkey.. LOL.

Reactions: daviedog

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Pretty much, since I need to recharge around 3.6 volts anyway. It starts dropping off around 3.8v and much lower than 3.6 is like sucking air. LOL. I constantly have my regulated mod on the go, and 1 battery in my mech and 1 charging. I need more mech batteries though. I kind of abuse my batteries. Beat them like a circus monkey.. LOL.
On a mech, i can feel 3.7 volts & a batt change. Like clockwork..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread