Noob with questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkecig

Dec 4, 2016
I'm new to the vaping scene and have some questions if someone could kindly answer. What kind of vape should I get? I'm looking for a simple vape and I am not interested in mods at the moment. My primary reason for choosing a vape is to get a cleaner alternative of nicotine delivery. I would like to minimize any health risks. I hear over certain wattage chemicals can alter and be potentially be harmful. So my main concerns are what vape should I go with, what wattage should I run it at and what eliquid should I use? For eliquid I was thinking going flavorless would be the safest route.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
There are thousands of members on here and all of them will give you a different answer.

I suggest you look into some characteristics about what you want and then go from there. Things such as size and whether or not you want an internal or removable battery are good places to start. Also, what is your budget?

Reactions: ph0ng

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I started two years ago on a $15 cheapie vape pen and it reduced my smoking 80% from the beginning. After a few days I had the confidence to buy better stuff which was a Nautilus mini atomizer and a low watts device like an iStick 20. Since I didn't spend much on the first device there was no worries spending on the second one. (The N mini and iStick 20 are still for sale.) Newbies can't tolerate much vapor in the beginning so low watts, 8-10, and high nic, 18 mg for about two weeks then 12 mg after that. My view is don't be talked into a high power device and low nic juice in the beginning. That can come later if you decide you want that. Start with something low powered and easy and start learning. Feel free to ask as many beginner questions as you need to on this forum. Everybody won't always have the same answer so you'll have to figure out whose approach you're going to follow. You've just heard one of the approaches.

Linkecig

Dec 4, 2016
There are thousands of members on here and all of them will give you a different answer.

I suggest you look into some characteristics about what you want and then go from there. Things such as size and whether or not you want an internal or removable battery are good places to start. Also, what is your budget?

Would internal batteries be safer vs removable batteries in terms of these cases of them exploding?

57chilicat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2011
McKinney, TX
I really agree with @sofarsogood. Don't go crazy with high dollar - high watts until you get a feel for vaping and feel that it can help you live a healthier life.
There are great starter set ups that can get you on your way!
Welcome and best of luck on your journey! You will get some great suggestions here!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Would internal batteries be safer vs removable batteries in terms of these cases of them exploding?
My opinion, start with a mod that has a built in battery to remove that issue for now. I believe vapers who choose their own batteries should be able to do a watts law calculation from memory and understand how the result applies to the choice of battery for the power setting you'll be using. Volts x amps = watts. Watts is your max power setting, amps is the rating for the particular battery you are considering, volts is the voltage where the mod is programed to stop firing so you don't over stress the battery. This is easy stuff but may be not in the beginning. Focus on quitting smoking. Become a vape rocket scientist later.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
basically... got to a good in-country website... they all have a starter kit list. if you like to do the deep inhales basically directly to your lungs your what we call DtL(direct to lung), if you just like to inhale as far as your mouth and back of throat, you're MtL(mouth to lung). those two options right there are a very important choice.

the easiest, might be a POD style, like the JUUL(there's about a half a dozen similar devices)... if you're willing to change coils and juice(it's like lego for the coils with these and takes a minute) then i would get the ICARE/ICARE mini... then there are the pen style which is an evod for MtL or subvod which is a DtL and AIO which is MtL as well.

juice depends on how much you smoke and how strong and if you buy something like the evod/subvod... with a heavy smoker i'd go around 18-24mg, med smoker 9-12, and light 6-3 for the first few type of devices... for the subvod go lighter than the evod/AIO for nic.

all the ones i mentioned have internal or twist on batteries, they're the easiest for new vapers.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome @Linkecig!

You are correct. The nicotine is absorbed through tissue, so you would be taking in nicotine, even if you don't inhale.

Since you're not intending on inhaling, the Nautilus and something like an iStick 20/30/40 or even some of the innokin devices would be just fine. The coils merely screw into the base of the topper (i.e. Nautilus or whatever you find). There are various types of coils, but the standard 1.6 ohm/1.8 ohm should suit you just fine. There is a bit of airflow adjustment available on the Nautilus tanks. I prefer mine wide open, but others like them turned all the way down.

Unflavored - you would have to either make your own or work with a base that's low enough for you. There are some equivalents to how much you currently smoke vs. what "starting" nicotine might work for you.

6mg nic is like an ultra-light
12mg nic is like a light
18mg nic is "full-flavor"
24mg is "heavier-duty"

You'll know if you've overdone it - you'll probably get a little dizzy and nauseous (I did that ONCE, and did NOT like it!)

Some folks can tolerate 30-36mg :shock: but that's what works for THEM.

You can get small bottles of PG and VG to dilute your base nicotine, if you find what you get is too strong. There's the PG/VG combination, too. VG is thicker and lends itself to denser clouds. PG is thinner and contributes to Throat Hit. You might start with something 50/50 and see how it does. If the nic is too strong, then 1/4PG, 1/4VG, 1/2 nic base would cut your nic in half and keep your ratio the same.

I guess my "best" recommendation is to not overthink it. Starter kits (great suggestion from above) are a lesser-expensive way to get into this. Then, as you figure more things out, you can branch out if you desire.

Good Luck - keep us posted on your progress!

Reactions: Linkecig

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
I hear you don't even need to take into lungs. Basically just smoke it like a cigar and you'll still get nicotine.
yep you got it! me, i like the deep inhale, but that's the way i smoked as well so it works for me. as for flavoured/unflavoured... responsible companies are trying to make sure nothing that is known to be harmful is in the flavoured juices and they test their juices to make sure, you'll find that one some sites. candy/fruit flavours tasted good enough it helped me as well, definitely tasted better than burning tobacco! the claims about formalihyde are talking about using really, really bad conditions that most would not vape at... like cotton without juice on it at really excessively high wattage/temps, no person does this deliberately, it burns the throat painfully. just keep in mind, the first device might not be the best one for you, because you wont know %100 what is perfect, until you are actively vaping.

Reactions: Linkecig

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
ahh now there i can't help you... i'm a canuck... except, there is Cookie Butter by Vape Pink at DashVapes.com i know it's an american brand, and it's soooo yummy. it's like vaping what we would call bannock or beavertail here... cinnamon/sugar/buttery/fried dough goodness! if anything can make some quit... if you have a sweet tooth this will do it.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
I hear you don't even need to take into lungs. Basically just smoke it like a cigar and you'll still get nicotine.

You are trying to replicate the smoking experience. So if you currently smoke and take it into your lungs, do the same with vaping. If you don't, then don't.

There is no right or wrong way to vape. I am not a flavour chaser in the slightest and like big clouds as a way of getting my hit, so I use mech's with wide open air flows and low resistance builds. That's what works for me, but others don't like that at all and want set ups where the flavour is great and there are hardly any clounds. Neither of these are "better" it's just whatever you settle on in the end.

Buy something you like the look and practicality of and go from there. You aren't going to nail exactly what you want off the bat and that's part of the fun and process.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
You are trying to replicate the smoking experience. So if you currently smoke and take it into your lungs, do the same with vaping. If you don't, then don't.

There is no right or wrong way to vape. I am not a flavour chaser in the slightest and like big clouds as a way of getting my hit, so I use mech's with wide open air flows and low resistance builds. That's what works for me, but others don't like that at all and want set ups where the flavour is great and there are hardly any clounds. Neither of these are "better" it's just whatever you settle on in the end.

Buy something you like the look and practicality of and go from there. You aren't going to nail exactly what you want off the bat and that's part of the fun and process.
This is the best post so far.

I hear over certain wattage chemicals can alter and be potentially be harmful.
It's not wattage. Pg and vg have temperature thresholds before they break down to harmful chemicals.

Depending on the thickness and number of your coils, this can take anywhere from under 5 watts to reach to well over 300 watts.

Not inherently. The first exploding batteries in the vape world were all ego batteries.

Just make sure you charge them properly and don't over draw them with too much power or by drawing them too empty.

Thanks for the input guys. What about coils? Is there any vape that has a maintenance free coil. If not how do coils work? Do you have to constantly clean them and how often do you replace?

No.

If your coils can be cleaned, someone here knows specifically about your particular coils.

If not, they get replaced when they first start to taste harsh at all.

My opinion, start with a mod that has a built in battery to remove that issue for now. I believe vapers who choose their own batteries should be able to do a watts law calculation from memory and understand how the result applies to the choice of battery for the power setting you'll be using.

Absolutely not!

I can do this no problem.

For decades.

But still, I use an online ohms law calculator.

It's all anyone needs aside from a few simple answers.

Which battery to buy for a regulated mod.

What's the lowest resistance my battery can take in a mech mod.

Etc.

It can be simple. Very simple.

Or you can choose to geek.

The fact you chose not to include the other 5 equations tells me you don't even know them off hand, either.

Not cool expecting noobs to know what you don't either...
Ok thanks for the all the info helps alot. I hear with vapes you don't need to even take the vapor down to the lungs to get the nicotine hit. That you can just blow out from mouth eliminating further any potential damage to lungs. True?
True

It's called a mouth only inhale.

Though, it's supposedly more effective if you breath out through the nose.

But not necessary.

And advised against if your nose starts to dry up... at least until it recovers.
True
Thanks for the help guys. Can anyone point me to some good eliquid brands? How is cuttwood?
Cuttwood has undergone scrutiny in the past for the massive amounts of flavorings and for having suspect flavors.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Though, if I were starting on the premise of wanting to take the absolute minimum risk, I would avoid them until I knew more about them, diacetyl, acetyl proprianol, etc so that I could make my own informed decisions and choose what level of risk that represents for me, personally.

As far as what brands you're looking for, I'd ask in the juice subforum and again in the diy subforum.

People with those interests tend to hang more in those sections, so you're bound to get more, better information in dedicated subforums as opposed to a more general one.

And more information will better prepare you for a variety of juices to start your search for "that one" or several dozen... depending on how you wind up settling.

(Some people can't vape just one flavor all day)

Tapatyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread