Not Advisable led to Epiphanies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That was a great read I have to say... I'm still vaguely fascinated by it and it does give me a sense of how much the mods have to do around here (and Classwife, I hope I'm posting in the correct place, finally :) )

It kind of made my subconscious go wacky and I realized a) need to go get a THS test ASAP, at first felt great quitting, but every day goes by I get more tired.... I have thyroid disease in any case, but I think I'm definitely going to have to raise my thyroid now that I'm vaping only. All that weird awakening/fatigue/hot cold flashes/poor sleep/eating a lot (I mean, A LOT).... On checking my past symptom list, it seems this appears accurate. Fortunately, have to get a chest x-ray and other stuff done in any case, so now I am motivated. :)

Think I figured out the whole dry mouth/periodontist issue, and I can get some tooth/gum paste to help until I get to a Periodontist hopefully this week.... :)

There's something magic in that thread, though I sincerely hope everyone who posted on it is okay, but as I was reading about vaping St. John's wort (my personal favorite, so advisable to not even TAKE that w/o doctor's supervision) I kinda.... zoned out and I think it made me slightly smarter.

Probably I just feel that way after reading the a-lerts, but I have to say I'm glad I figured out what is ailing me.... And I can fix it and still vape :)

I will report back on Thyroid testing for anyone who has/had a similar issue.... I have been super puffy in the face on awakening, too.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Thanks, Classwife. I scheduled myself to do it tomorrow. I'm fairly certain I will have to go up. I'm so glad I read that pinned thread on quitting sx and possibilities, and feeling a bit dumb I didn't catch it sooner.... But, with thyroid stuff, it's kind of hard to catch until you actually feel bad enough to start putting two and two together.

I'd agree that anyone on thyroid meds should get TSH and whatnot done after 6-8 weeks purely vaping to be on the safe side.... Though I AM glad I figured out why I've been on the couch a great deal of the past 2 weeks.... I kept thinking it was recovery from my oral surgery, but I don't think it's that, anymore.

Anna

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
Thanks, Classwife. I scheduled myself to do it tomorrow. I'm fairly certain I will have to go up. I'm so glad I read that pinned thread on quitting sx and possibilities, and feeling a bit dumb I didn't catch it sooner.... But, with thyroid stuff, it's kind of hard to catch until you actually feel bad enough to start putting two and two together.

I'd agree that anyone on thyroid meds should get TSH and whatnot done after 6-8 weeks purely vaping to be on the safe side.... Though I AM glad I figured out why I've been on the couch a great deal of the past 2 weeks.... I kept thinking it was recovery from my oral surgery, but I don't think it's that, anymore.

Anna
Stols, research "functional medicine doctors" in your area , a GP, and most Endocrinologists/Cardiologists/etc will have you running around in circles for years( i know, i spent the past 5 years doing just that) A good F.M.doc will get to the underlying cause of your condition......most Thyroid Disorders have an underlying gut disorder and until that is attended to the cycle continues , if i can be of any help please dont hesitate to contact me

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Thank you, Backdock. :)

My mom and my sis had preexisting thyroid issues, mine was fine until I started taking lithium, which can suppress thyroid function, so I was almost expecting it... I have seen an endocrinologist in the past and got checked for Hashymotos or however you spell that, and he felt sure it was a side-effect of the lithium also.

Because it's a "benign" condition, my PCPs are pretty lenient with me as far as adjusting my thyroid meds. I started out on Armor thyroid and just raised my dose slowwwly until I felt better. My THS is usually suppressed, but that's not a big deal as my body is handling T3/T4 conversion exactly right, so my doc's aren't concerned. They just want me to test yearly, and anytime I'm having trouble/sx, which hasn't been for several years.

I really adore my PCP's office! I found them completely by chance, but a lot of the founding docs there, who've been my docs for a decade, seem to know everything, or are willing to find out :) If they can't figure out the labwork, they'll send me back to that endo, I'm sure.

They always seemed overly cautious to me until I switched to a different porcine supplement as it was generic and found out that I needed to HALVE my dose as Armor's new formulation (which was all I had been on) contains filler that blocks absorption of thyroid, and I actually was overdosing.... I spent a few days wondering why my chest was pounding and I had a constant panic attack, but then I did some reading up, decided to STOP until I could see my doc. Now, when my docs go, "You know, too high a dose is dangerous, please suffer until labwork is completed, instead of a heart attack," I don't get resentful in the slightest. I almost went to the ER that night.

Thanks so much, Backdock. I do wonder if those "thyroid boosting" supplements that contain selenium and whatnot would be of any use in my situation, I haven't taken them at this point, since everything's usually been fine with the correct dose of thyroid. :)

Also spent some time working with a naturopath, but that's a free perk working where I work, you get free access to the alt/med clinic. I found B-12 shots to be most helpful...

Anna

Reactions: BackDoc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread