Not Sure I Like the Fewer Sales Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
I think V4L has gotten large enough now where they are starting to adopt the marketing strategies of mid-sized businesses. While the ECF V4L subforum used to be the primary medium for product discussion, it has largely migrated to their own forum, and will continue to drift toward social media marketing sites. They have become a very successful company, and we old timers will miss the personal interaction we used to have with company management; I haven't seen anyone from V4L pop in here in weeks. I also think that the routine sales approach works very well for startup companies to increase their volume. Once it reaches a critical mass however, steady-state sales make a larger profit, assuming you lower the prices to a competitive level. This has been attempted by V4L, if you look at some of their applied discounts on USA juices and some of the kits in recent weeks; so I don't think this is a spontaneous change in marketing, rather they have been experimenting with several different ideas and have made a calculated decision to shift their philosophy.

I for one will continue to hang out here when possible, don't have anything in common or any friends on the V4L forum. I agree with all of you who have posted though, they could certainly have taken 5 minutes to post here and to send out an email announcement to their "loyal" subscribers / customers. Via's point about being "only one" customer also is important; when companies grow, only hundreds or thousands of customers matter anymore - folks, we have been marginalized :)

Edit: Spoke too soon - just saw Wader replied on another thread. At least Wader still luvs us, right Wader??? Thank you Wader???

Last edited:

jeffree

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
california
As a lower-99% member of society--and our forum--I still have a six-month stash of any V4L gear I'll need. I waited for the biggest sales and bought in quantity. That said, I can add that lower prices have never been the main draw of V4L for me. I want quality gear and responsive service more than anything and am certainly willing to pay a bit more for them.

But I understand some of the frustration here. V4L has fostered a culture of constant sales and will have to find ways to ease the transition to something new to maintain long-time customers if that's a goal. A clearer explanation of the new approach would be a good start. Either way, I'll continue to stockpile enough so that I'm never feeling desperate. V4L's a great vendor with reasonable prices even without the steepest discounts.

But Jam, no friends here? We're around, dude, even if we don't post as much anymore. It's all part of the process.

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
As a lower-99% member of society--and our forum--I still have a six-month stash of any V4L gear I'll need. I waited for the biggest sales and bought in quantity. That said, I can add that lower prices have never been the main draw of V4L for me. I want quality gear and responsive service more than anything and am certainly willing to pay a bit more for them.

But I understand some of the frustration here. V4L has fostered a culture of constant sales and will have to find ways to ease the transition to something new to maintain long-time customers if that's a goal. A clearer explanation of the new approach would be a good start. Either way, I'll continue to stockpile enough so that I'm never feeling desperate. V4L's a great vendor with reasonable prices even without the steepest discounts.

But Jam, no friends here? We're around, dude, even if we don't post as much anymore. It's all part of the process.

Well said Jeffree, great to see you as always. I meant I had no friends at the V4L forum, not here on the ECF V4L Subforum, although there are very very few of us left from our heyday.

PS: I'm trying hard to root for your RedWings, down 2-1 but not out!

Rick07

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2011
MS
Email dated April 10. Spend $75.00, Get a $25.00 Gift Card through April 17. Not a bad discount.

Newsletter dated April 12. Special price on Aurora Kit and Premium juice. Now $6.50 a bottle is not bad.

Plus the standing free shipping plus free gifts on orders in excess of $50.00.

Plus the standing 10% discount by entering "smilin" in the code box.

I think V4L is doing pretty darn good.

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast
"We will be offering a special promotional discount to all of our loyal customers tonight, keep your eyes pealed so you don't miss out! :)"
Right - on Facebook & Twitter? Ummm, what about the rest of us? This sale wasn't advertised in our forum, the V4L forum or by email.

And here I was thinking I was a loyal customer...

:evil:

It's the New Epoch. If you don't FB or Twit, you don't count/matter/exist/your business is not wanted.

What happened to the "Family" sales e mails?

Apparently we've been disinherited. Fine. Message received.

waylonjessi4ever

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Northern California
I feel exactly like Katz and Eleanor .We helped spread the word and let our friends try v4l long before facebook ,twitter or that other forum came along .I will never do twitter ,never wanted to ,and dont have time to . I got the heads up on facebook and posted it here anyway ,like it or not ,i'm gonna tell my buddies here .It was only due to ian559( frank ) posting it on another facebook page that i even knew .I dont live on my computer ,i dont check v4l before friends and family OR checking in here ...where my buddies are .
Its a very bad taste in our mouths for sure .No one is asking for constant sales ...but to word it like they did ...as katz has said is just plain wrong without including your OLDEST customers ..by email or text ,or posting here .
Meantime ...i have found the quality of many other juices to be just as good ,if not better so i dont NEED them exclusively .
I will continue to order batteries as needed and blank carts ..but will always wait for a sale or free shipping ...i dont pay anybody 6.95 shipping .I order alot by mail and i dont do that ,out of principal ...in the same way I do not pay retail for clothing or anything else ...i choose not to throw my money away ,afford it or not is not the issue .SO ....will i be working as hard to turn people on to v4l ...nope ....

SR219

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2009
Indiana
I have to agree with the FB and Twitter crap.

First, it was watch the forum.
Then sign up for the text
Next it was sign up for "family" email

I do not and never will fb or twit.
Loyalty gets you nowhere it would seem
It's one thing to reduce sales, but to cut off the established methods of communicating those rare sales is another thing entirely!

Puffice

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
In front of this screen
Well I just found out about this. I wondered why the emails had stopped. I can see cutting back but are they stopping the emails all together. I was getting ready to place a order, but I don't do facebook or twitter and won't. I do have somewhere else I on occasion have ordered juice from and they are as cheep as V4life with the sales but I liked that V4 was quicker. But can't go the no sales route and I was a very frequent customer, and have directed some to them. For the birds!:glare:

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast
I have to agree with the FB and Twitter crap.

First, it was watch the forum.
Then sign up for the text
Next it was sign up for "family" email

I do not and never will fb or twit.
Loyalty gets you nowhere it would seem
It's one thing to reduce sales, but to cut off the established methods of communicating those rare sales is another thing entirely!

Thread winner.

plantlvr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2009
Northern California
I have reluctly rejoined FB cus my daughter wants me to see stuff in her and my grandsons life. But man my spam folder in my email has blown up and some is trickling into my regular email. I stopped FB a year ago cus all my contacts were getting spam supposedly from me right after I joined FB, I hate it and am thinking about getting rid of it again.
But I swear to all that is good that I will NEVER 'twitter', gag me with a spoon. Who wants to read updates about what random thoughts that are in their head or what they just ate?:blink:

And i miss rotary phones and big gas guzzling muscle cars too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread