Not sure what wattage is safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittianm

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2015
I just got my first rda and bought a Clapton build that comes out to .2 resistance. I have this on my rx 2/3 w 2 mxjo batteries which are 20 amp cdc. I'm worried about taking it over 60 watts because I don't want to stress the battery too much. Am I being a sissy? What do you guys think or what would you feel comfortable running this set up at?

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Known good 20A CDR cells will get you about 60 watts per cell, safely, in a regulated mod. Coil res is irrelevant in this calculation (A=W/V).
You can be a tad more conservative or liberal from there, as is your preference, but that's a solid, safe ballpark.

If one regularly vapes over say 65w on a single, or 130w on a dual... it's wise to look toward adding another cell. Something your new model RX allows. :D

Last edited:

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
i thought since it is a series mod that the amperage didn't double

It doesn't, you use the total voltage in the calculation bringing the resulting Amps back into range per cell.
Don't worry about it, but do learn the whys of the calculation and you'll see why you never have to use it again.
It's the bottom line MAX AMPS that occurs at lowest charge state that matters (in a regulated, opposite in a Mech) and that doesn't change.

What I forgot to add though is... be sure to use a separate married set of three when vaping that way and not just adding a third cell to a regularly used set of two.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
@brittianm no you are not being a sissy.
A good quality 20 amp battery like the LG HG2 or the Samsung 30Q is good for 60 watts per cell. MXJOs are garbage rewraps. So in your mod 120 watts with two or 180 with three. Coil resistance is irrelevant in a regulated mod when calculating amp draw from the battery/s.
On a regulated mod the configuration of the batteries (parallel - series) is unimportant to the user, it is a design choice made by the manufacturer relevant only to the regulator chip.

Hers is some supporting documentation you should read:

Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum

Reactions: Cheallaigh

brittianm

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2015
@brittianm no you are not being a sissy.
A good quality 20 amp battery like the LG HG2 or the Samsung 30Q is good for 60 watts per cell. MXJOs are garbage rewraps. So in your mod 120 watts with two or 180 with three. Coil resistance is irrelevant in a regulated mod when calculating amp draw from the battery/s.
On a regulated mod the configuration of the batteries (parallel - series) is unimportant to the user, it is a design choice made by the manufacturer relevant only to the regulator chip.

Hers is some supporting documentation you should read:

Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum
That was super helpful

Reactions: sonicbomb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread