Not vaping for a week. Is coil still good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrynewvape

May 30, 2017
Hi everyone. Good to be here and share my questions and thoughts with the experts. I went on a trip and did not take my ecig with me. It was left with no juice in the tank sitting in a humid place for at least a week. When I got back I added some juice to vape a bit and realized the coil was having trouble to work the way it's supposed to. There was not much vape coming out of the ecig and the taste was a bit odd. Also noticed the formation of 2 black spots in the "coil's filter" (white bit you add the juice to start with). Do you guys think there is a chance that mold grew in the filter? I changed the coil again (the previous one was just a few days old but was left here not in use for a week) and it works perfectly with the new one of course. Was that coil wasted or I could still use it? Have any of you experienced formation of mold in the filter of a coil that wasn't used for at least a week and left in a humid place? Sorry for the words used. I'm new to this and don't know for sure how to describe what I see. Cheers

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Anything's possible, but this is improbable.. VG and PG being antibacterial. And unless you left it exposed (the odds of mold finding it's way down the mouthpiece would be alarming, not so much for your question about your coil, but that if you have such an amount of mold in your house that it would manage to contaminate something via such a small opening, I'd be worried.

I have tanks that have been sitting for months (but have liquid in them) on my desk and aside the "what the heck liquid was in there" when I try them, it's never been an issue.

But still when ensure, better to go the safer way, but the black spots are most probably oxidation of the liquid being exposed to air for a period of time, that was still in the coil's wick.. and that would make it taste weird.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
I leave tanks unvaped with juice in them sometimes for months without any problems. Give your coil and tank a good rinse with running water, blow the coil as dry as you can get it (blow through the top with your fingers plugging the base to force the air/water out the juice holes), then re-prime/refill and try again.

Reactions: Henrynewvape

Henrynewvape

May 30, 2017
According to what you said I have two coils that should still be good to use. I will boil some water and soak them both in hot water for a few minute. I'll then roll them up in paper and let them dry to be used whenever I feel the need to change the one I just put in today. There is no point in trying that now just to have 3 good coils opened for no reason. That should also give time for those other 2 dry off right? Thanks guys.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Well, the water thing can only do so much... once a coil gunks up, it's done for.

The water can only dissolve liquid that hasn't caramelized/gunked up. So there's no guaranty that this can "save" a coil.

Note that you need to try and dry it as well as possible as water in a wick can be a unsavory experience.

Reactions: Henrynewvape

batteredwombat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
I heard you can soak the coil heads in high proof vodka 100 ^ for a day or so then rinse clean with distilled water. With my built coil to get gunk off I use a ss brush if I feel really lazy, and doing that I made a fused clapton coil last 6 months and I could still use it but changed to regular clapton for battery life on my on the go device.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I heard you can soak the coil heads in high proof vodka 100 ^ for a day or so then rinse clean with distilled water. With my built coil to get gunk off I use a ss brush if I feel really lazy, and doing that I made a fused clapton coil last 6 months and I could still use it but changed to regular clapton for battery life on my on the go device.
For cartridges, I tried alcohol, denture cleaner, boiling, ultrasonic cleaner, and learned that the results are very poor afterwards... I was able to reuse just a few, but they weren't all that great and they still died not that long after, absolutely weren't worth the time and effect I put into them...

That's when I decided to simply take them apart, see how they are built and started rebuilding them...

Vaperrasso cCell rebuilding

The rebuilt ones were 10x better than the factory new ones, plus I knew exactly what was in there and no longer stuck within their "recommended" settings.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi everyone. Good to be here and share my questions and thoughts with the experts. I went on a trip and did not take my ecig with me. It was left with no juice in the tank sitting in a humid place for at least a week. When I got back I added some juice to vape a bit and realized the coil was having trouble to work the way it's supposed to. There was not much vape coming out of the ecig and the taste was a bit odd. Also noticed the formation of 2 black spots in the "coil's filter" (white bit you add the juice to start with). Do you guys think there is a chance that mold grew in the filter? I changed the coil again (the previous one was just a few days old but was left here not in use for a week) and it works perfectly with the new one of course. Was that coil wasted or I could still use it? Have any of you experienced formation of mold in the filter of a coil that wasn't used for at least a week and left in a humid place? Sorry for the words used. I'm new to this and don't know for sure how to describe what I see. Cheers
Welcome and glad you joined. "Coils" that are purchased can be expensive over the long run. Could consider making you own coils in the future. RDA's are considered a good starting point to learn and not to mention that this device family is considered the purist's favorite for taste.
Might like to read:
Drip Vaping: Your Guide to Dripping e-Juice | Vape-Resource.com
2015: The Art of the Drip - A Dripping Primer | Spinfuel VAPE
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
What is an Atomizer? E-Cig Terminology Simplified
Rebuildable Tanks Explained: RBAs vs RDAs vs RTAs vs RDTAs
Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread