• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

NYC vaporers

Status
Not open for further replies.
SI here, still NYC for now. Been vaping all over the island since Jan. as well as Brooklyn and Manhattan. Have only seen a few other e-smokers in the area where it seems 80% of the people are smokers.

Was at a bar in midtown a few weeks ago and my buddy took my ecig and started blowing vapor all over the place, until this guy comes over and grabs it from him, rips off the cartridge and throws it on the floor. He proceeded to flash us a PBA card really quick which was amusing enough. I explained it to him very calmly even though he knew enough to throw the cartridge but not the entire e-cig itself, a white 901 btw.

Hope to see some of you guys around sometime-

Mike

PBA Card? Who ever it was, he was probably a wanna be a cop. A real Officer wouldn't even do something like that while off-duty and even so, would not risk his job by forcibly taking someone else's property and throwing it on the floor.

Real cops have ID cards and badges and in a bar, if they have the balls to do it, would do it discreetly unless they are just plain STUPID.

I would've smacked him around a little bit and taught him a lesson!!

Anyone flashes you a PBA card next time, laugh at him. :lol:

Shoot, If I had one, I would send you one just to flash yours back in his face!!

Hey guys! Spike here... as eplanet said.. we started the Long Island Vapers Club. We have a forum on here... here is a link.. feel free to send a PM if you want an invite!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/groups/long-island-ny-vapers-club.html

We meet once or twice a month (once there are more than 10 of us it will be twice a month... but we need to have enough people to make it worthwhile to meet). We are growing fast. We get together to talk vaping and vapers rights and vape in public and recruit smokers to the club and trade juice and try each others devices so we can "try before we buy" and talk about funny vaping incidents. It is a lot of fun.. hope to see some of you there! Next meeting is May 8th at 7pm in Hicksville Long Island and I will be picking city people up at the LIRR at 6pm if you need a ride. More info can also be found at Long Island, New York - Vapers Club. The website is not done yet.. but it has meeting info for right now.

deny

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
New York
Thanks Blue Knight Max for the info. I haven't had much problems because i vape through the nose and its not very visible when the vapor is thrown downwards with lots of pressure. And laws are pretty strict this days on subways. I was going home once from work and it was 12 am the subway was empty. So i put my legs on top of another sit and when the doors open to a station an undercover cop summon me a ticket for taking a sit for others. And in there was only 2 people ^^. I reasoned with him and he lower it to $25 ^^. So if you just explain to the cop they would probably yet you go with a warning.

p.s. I use the penstyle RN 4072

Last edited:

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
I live on Long Island but I work in Manhattan. I vape everywhere including the subway and Penn Station.

I have not had any problems in the subway so far. In penn station I have explained what it is to MANY police officers and to date every single one of them has been satisfied with my ansers and the most any of them have done is asked me to please not do it in the main concourse area where large amounts of people will see. They were more concerned that my 'smoking' would make analog smokers think it was OK.

I have had several 'confrontations' and so far not one single one has ended in me being told I can not do it. The two keys are simply, offer a polite explination and also say you recently quit smoking and this is what is keeping you from going back. When they ask how long it has been I find it is better to lie and say a week or two rather than tell people I have been without analogs since jan 1.:rolleyes:

If you are the type to get hot tempered quickly I do not suggest openly vaping in non-smoking places. If you are the type that can stay calm and polite with a stranger yelling so hard that spit flies out their mouth then whip it out and vape anywhere.

And lastly, if you think the looks get harsh smoking an e-cig in public, you should see the looks when I pull out a Ruyan Vegas and start puffing that enormous bad boy.:D

DW

Thanks Blue Knight Max for the info. I haven't had much problems because i vape through the nose and its not very visible when the vapor is thrown downwards with lots of pressure. And laws are pretty strict this days on subways. I was going home once from work and it was 12 am the subway was empty. So i put my legs on top of another sit and when the doors open to a station an undercover cop summon me a ticket for taking a sit for others. And in there was only 2 people ^^. I reasoned with him and he lower it to $25 ^^. So if you just explain to the cop they would probably yet you go with a warning.

p.s. I use the penstyle RN 4072

Taking up more than one seat? Sheesh, that plain clothes officer was more than likely a rookie looking to meet their productivity quotas for the month.

You got had because officers do not have the authority to "lower" the fines. It was either $25.00 bucks to start with or he gave you a summons for some other BS offense.

Man, When I worked in transit, I hated it!! I was never an ice picker and that caused me nothing but problems with my supervisors.

I live on Long Island but I work in Manhattan. I vape everywhere including the subway and Penn Station.

I have not had any problems in the subway so far. In penn station I have explained what it is to MANY police officers and to date every single one of them has been satisfied with my ansers and the most any of them have done is asked me to please not do it in the main concourse area where large amounts of people will see. They were more concerned that my 'smoking' would make analog smokers think it was OK.

I have had several 'confrontations' and so far not one single one has ended in me being told I can not do it. The two keys are simply, offer a polite explination and also say you recently quit smoking and this is what is keeping you from going back. When they ask how long it has been I find it is better to lie and say a week or two rather than tell people I have been without analogs since jan 1.:rolleyes:

If you are the type to get hot tempered quickly I do not suggest openly vaping in non-smoking places. If you are the type that can stay calm and polite with a stranger yelling so hard that spit flies out their mouth then whip it out and vape anywhere.

And lastly, if you think the looks get harsh smoking an e-cig in public, you should see the looks when I pull out a Ruyan Vegas and start puffing that enormous bad boy.:D

DW

Yeah, those Penn Station Cops are more laid back than the NYPD Transit Cops.

Good for you.

hey blue knight, i was on the 4 train the other day puffing on my 901 white with orange led. two cops came up to me and asked to see my id. when i put my pv into my pocket they asked what is was. after a delightful conversation they both asked where to get one. i sent them to this forum. the cops want to vape too

ROFLMAO

That is so funny. I wish I could've seen the look on their faces.

Like I've said in a few threads, some will go for it and others will not.

However, if passengers do complain, they may ask you to not vape on board the train.

Well, enjoy your travels while vaping!!

Max

FourC

May 20, 2009
Hey all - After 35 years of tobacco smoking, rolling my own Bali Shag for the last five years, I'm a brand new Manhattan e-cig user now. I think it's the greatest thing ever for smokers. Being the manic-compulsive that I am, I'm obsessed with it, and I've been talking to a neighbor that owns a magazine and smoke shop on the block about importing from China and retailing e-cigs and supplies in his shop.

Anybody seen a retailer in the city selling these products? I think people would come from all around to his shop if the price and selection were right.

Please share your thoughts - would it work?

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
Hey all - After 35 years of tobacco smoking, rolling my own Bali Shag for the last five years, I'm a brand new Manhattan e-cig user now. I think it's the greatest thing ever for smokers. Being the manic-compulsive that I am, I'm obsessed with it, and I've been talking to a neighbor that owns a magazine and smoke shop on the block about importing from China and retailing e-cigs and supplies in his shop.

Anybody seen a retailer in the city selling these products? I think people would come from all around to his shop if the price and selection were right.

Please share your thoughts - would it work?

On lexington ave, on the west side of the street between 50 and 51 there is a cigar shop. A friend who works down the road from there tells me he gets disposable e-cigars there. I don't know exactly what it is that they are selling there but my friend flipped out for a ruyan vegas disposable cigar and made comments that led me to believe whatever he was getting was not as good.

Unfortunately I am working all the way across town at lincoln center so it is not exactly convenient for me to stop by there and I have not had a chance to check it out.

DW

FourC

May 20, 2009
On lexington ave, on the west side of the street between 50 and 51 there is a cigar shop. A friend who works down the road from there tells me he gets disposable e-cigars there.
DW

I weny by there today, it's the Barclay-Rex shop. They discontinued the sale of e-cigarette products pending resolution of the FDA issues.

FourC

May 20, 2009
What does that mean? Are they waiting for the SE vs. FDA decision?
Hey Mike I tried to catch you through the chat module on your website just now.

The clerk at Barclay-Rex just said they were waiting for "the dust to settle" or something to that effect. I am probably behind on the latest current events, but I assumed he meant waiting for the products to either clearly fall under the FDA's domain, and the subsequent approval of individual products, or for a definitive ruling putting an end to the FDA's interference. Would a positive ruling in the SE case mean the latter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread