obamacare and vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
.... Just remember that an injury or illness may cost you or a family member everything.....EVERY american does deserve healthcare...no one should die or suffer because they can not afford insurance.

I suppose emergency rooms, free clinics, cigna, hsra, medicaid and medicare didn't work at ALL before 0bama came along

P.S. I don't think 0biecare covers dental or optical either OH THE HUMANITY!!!! and from what I have been hearing from actual people who signed up for it...NOT AFFORDABLE!

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
Emergency rooms do NOT have to treat non life threatening issues...
Some states like mine do not give Medicaid to adults without children until they have NO assets left.
Tell they young woman with active cancer that lost her part time job due to sitting at the local "Good Samaritan free clinic" that she doesnt really need to have chemo every 3 days because there is no Dr/medication or equipment available when you as a healthcare professional her chances of survival decrease with each missed treatment.
And how was she to pay for Cigna, or hsra supporting herself on a $9 an hour part time gas station job (all she could find with a teaching degree) ?
She is not old enough for Medicare so tell me do you have the humanity to cover her treatment?

This is ONE of a hundred cases I could tell you about that I personally have seen.

I will say again...It is an embarrassment that this great country of ours is the last industrialized country to insure that EVERY citizen has access to healthcare.....may that young woman sitting in that clinic never end up being your wife, sister, granddaughter, aunt, or long lost niece

Last edited:

NakiFantaki

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Las Vegas NV
Emergency rooms do NOT have to treat non life threatening issues...
Some states like mine do not give Medicaid to adults without children until they have NO assets left.
Tell they young woman with active cancer that lost her part time job due to sitting at the local "Good Samaritan free clinic" that she doesnt really need to have chemo every 3 days because there is no Dr/medication or equipment available when you as a healthcare professional her chances of survival decrease with each missed treatment.
And how was she to pay for Cigna, or hsra supporting herself on a $9 an hour part time gas station job (all she could find with a teaching degree) ?
She is not old enough for Medicare so tell me do you have the humanity to cover her treatment?

This is ONE of a hundred cases I could tell you about that I personally have seen.

I will say again...It is an embarrassment that this great country of ours is the last industrialized country to insure that EVERY citizen has access to healthcare.....may that young woman sitting in that clinic never end up being your wife, sister, granddaughter, aunt, or long lost niece

Actually, its against the law for ANY emergency room to deny someone medical care. Plain and simple. Stubbed toe, cut on a finger or a full blown stroke the ER cannot send a patient away.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
WRONG..it is against the law for any hospital to deny LIFE SAVING care to anyone. I have worked in hospitals here in Forida for years and they can and do turn away people every day. They will even refuse uninsured coming BY ambulance if it is NOT intermediately life threatening, advising them to reroute to another facility. I see this EVERYDAY

As a heathcare professional I am sickened by this AND the misinformation of the public.

Last edited:

NakiFantaki

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Las Vegas NV
WRONG..it is against the law for any hospital to deny LIFE SAVING care to anyone. I have worked in hospitals here in Forida for years and they can and do turn away people every day. They will even refuse uninsured coming BY ambulance if it is NOT intermediately life threatening advising them to reroute to another facility

I work for an ambulance company and have been working with hospitals for years as well. Maybe that's how it is in Florida but here in NV they cannot deny anyone care. Ever heard of EMTALA? Even if being told to re route, the patient is still going to get care at another facility.

You say "lifesaving" but who is say what that really means. A small open wound may not be seen as a "lifesaving" emergency at the time the patient presents but who knows, in 3 days that small wound could get infected, patient could get septic and die. Its called liability. I have never in my life seen any patient being denied care at any ER.

Last edited:

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)[1] is a U.S. Act of Congress passed in 1986 as part of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA). It requires hospitals to provide care to anyone needing emergency healthcare treatment regardless of citizenship, legal status or ability to pay. There are no reimbursement provisions. Participating hospitals may only transfer or discharge patients needing emergency treatment under their own informed consent, after stabilization, or when their condition requires transfer to a hospital better equipped to administer the treatment.[1]
EMTALA applies to "participating hospitals."

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
I am happy for the people of Nevada where that is the case...

And Pennsylvania where they young lady with cancer who has been told at the free clinic that chemo isn't really needed 3 times a week (due to lack of equipment,medication or Dr). Is moving because there she can get treatment.

And any other state that does have options, please realize not all do.

dave8944

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2009
I am happy for the people of Nevada where that is the case...

And Pennsylvania where they young lady with cancer who has been told at the free clinic that chemo isn't really needed 3 times a week (due to lack of equipment,medication or Dr). Is moving because there she can get treatment.

And any other state that does have options, please realize not all do.

I do think our old system was barberic in a lot of ways, but the problem is that Obamacare just makes sure we all get health INSURANCE. It does nothing to ensure health CARE. I think the problems you mention will only get worse, maybe not for just the poor, but for all of us because there won't be any doctors willing to treat you for the price the government is willing to pay. We're going to end up with all-cash doctors for those who can pay to get good health care, and the rest of us who are stuck in a system that doesn't work. Maybe the Dem.'s and Republicans will work together to fix the stupid law, but as it stands now doctors are fleeing the profession and the governement is increasing it's grip on our daily lives.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
This whole thing seems stupid.
How can vaping be considered smoking? It has nothing to do with tobacco.
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't all the health problems come from the actual tobacco? Nicotine by itself does not cause COPD and the multitude of other heath problems that tobacco does. So why should we have to pay a fee? Dumb.
It's not dumb, it's evil.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
It's not dumb, it's evil.

**cough**

Department-of-Common-Sense-sign.jpg

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
Actually, its against the law for ANY emergency room to deny someone medical care. Plain and simple. Stubbed toe, cut on a finger or a full blown stroke the ER cannot send a patient away.

WRONG..it is against the law for any hospital to deny LIFE SAVING care to anyone. I have worked in hospitals here in Forida for years and they can and do turn away people every day. They will even refuse uninsured coming BY ambulance if it is NOT intermediately life threatening, advising them to reroute to another facility. I see this EVERYDAY

As a heathcare professional I am sickened by this AND the misinformation of the public.

I work for an ambulance company and have been working with hospitals for years as well. Maybe that's how it is in Florida but here in NV they cannot deny anyone care. Ever heard of EMTALA? Even if being told to re route, the patient is still going to get care at another facility.

You say "lifesaving" but who is say what that really means. A small open wound may not be seen as a "lifesaving" emergency at the time the patient presents but who knows, in 3 days that small wound could get infected, patient could get septic and die. Its called liability. I have never in my life seen any patient being denied care at any ER.

I'm a registered nurse and I agree with KjAthena. But I think the difference in opinion is really because we're talking about two different things.

Someone is injured - car accident, fall, etc. - they go by ambulance to the ER and they will receive care. (At least in my experience.)

But if you have a chronic disease - whether or not you can pay has a definite bearing on what treatment you will receive.

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn

Maybe if we stopped taking care of the rest of the world we could take care of our own.

As said earlier in the thread...it's one thing to be charitable and give, it is quite another to be told you must give.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I suggest there's more than a few ECF members
who have scraped off their Obama bumper stickers.

Let's hope so, considering all the attacks on vaping started with this administration and was saved from a complete ban by the judges appointed by the previous administration.

But from some of the posts I read, some vapers can't seem to make the connection between nanny state liberal politicians (the only ones calling for a ban/severe restrictions) and the drive to eliminate vaping as much as possible.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
...........................................If I am taxed and regulated for vaping, but it allows other people and their families to have access to affordable health care, it's a no-brainer for me which I would choose.

I realize this is not a one-to-one direct relationship, but if it WERE, I"m just telling you what is in my heart to do.

The hard reality is that I could go on living without nicotine. But somebody with a serious untreated medical condition might not be able to go on living.

You are missing a MAJOR point. Whether one agrees with Obamacare or not, a mandated insurance coverage law should have NO impact on our ability and right to vape, period. This administration, and the far left liberal politicians who support it, want vaping eliminated completely if possible (they failed in their first attempt) and severely restricted if all else fails. The hypocrisy of their wanting universal health care yet also wanting the elimination of a significant life saving activity is Machiavellian.

djezewski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Wayland, New York, United States
The impact I can see is more Dr. visits if vaping were banded. Once I would run out of juice I would run for the nearest store for cigarettes. So far since I started vaping this fall I have had no Dr visits., no expensive antibiotics. I have or should I say had chronic bronchitis from smoking.

tommy2bad

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Kilkenny
You are missing a MAJOR point. Whether one agrees with Obamacare or not, a mandated insurance coverage law should have NO impact on our ability and right to vape, period. This administration, and the far left liberal politicians who support it, want vaping eliminated completely if possible (they failed in their first attempt) and severely restricted if all else fails. The hypocrisy of their wanting universal health care yet also wanting the elimination of a significant life saving activity is Machiavellian.
You are assuming the right hand knows what the left hand is doing, these are politicians we are talking about. They don't know what either hand is doing. It's not a clever plot, it's stupidity.

NakiFantaki

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2013
Las Vegas NV
I'm a registered nurse and I agree with KjAthena. But I think the difference in opinion is really because we're talking about two different things.

Someone is injured - car accident, fall, etc. - they go by ambulance to the ER and they will receive care. (At least in my experience.)

But if you have a chronic disease - whether or not you can pay has a definite bearing on what treatment you will receive.

Exactly. But you will still receive treatment of some kind. Even if it just a set of labs and being told to follow up with a PCP.

What I was saying was they won't throw you out of the ER doors and tell anyone to leave.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
Some sort of treatment...like the homeless man who was beaten by some teens. He had many tests including a ct scan, x rays of ribs,arm and shoulder. was bandaged fed breakfast and lunch given prescription for 3 days of meds and referred to see a Dr in 3 days. They found him dead in his tent behind the library 12 hours from his release. It was found he died of a ruptured spleen.

Or the 30 Y/O woman. She presented at the hospital after slipping in the rain running for a bus, Was brought to the hospital unconscious by 911. Tests run, blood work advised to follow up in 3 days, she was released without ever being admitted and test results were not even completed. She died that night from a massive heart attack brought on by a blood clot that traveled from the bruise on her hip

Or the man who was told he was having an anxiety attack and sent home with a referral after 5 hours in the ER. simple tests would have shown he was suffering from a snake bite he didnt know he had received, died sitting against the wall of a free clinic awaiting sign in the next day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread