OBS Engine Mini Sub Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I got my OBS Engine Sub tank 25mm from Heaven Gifts, last week. I'm a fan of the Engine tanks and the Engine Sub tank has not disappointed. On the outside, it looks just like the Engine RTAs, but the top down airflow works a little differently. The airflow is great, smooth and quiet, I run it about 2/3 open. I'm getting a nice, warm, dense and flavorful vape. The coil wicks well, no problems with dry hits at all. The coils are rated for 40-100w and I've been liking it at about 70w. The tank doesn't get hot, easy to fill, and of course no leaking or seeping. I like that there is no condensation at all seeping from the tank.

I've gone through about 60ml and the coils are still doing great. I'm curious to find out how long these coils will last. The tank sits flush on the mods I've tried it on, no connection problems. The only thing I've been a bit disappointed about is choice of coils. I was hoping there would also be a 0.4 or 0.5 coil as well, but hopefully they will be coming out soon. It's been a very nice tank so far and have been very happy with it!

obs%20sub2_zpskuhozclk.jpg

Here's an OBS family photo (Mini RTA, 25mm RTA and 25mm Sub)

obs%20family1_zpsqxp30jrd.jpg

Thanks for the great write up. Seeing as you have both and the OBS RTA and Sub Tank how do they compare for flavor?

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
Thanks for the great write up. Seeing as you have both and the OBS RTA and Sub Tank how do they compare for flavor?
They're pretty comparable in flavor, I get a bit moister vape with the Sub, the flavor is very good. I also get a little more airflow from the Sub. Overall, I prefer the RTA's, but that's more about flexibility and personal preference. I like building coils to suit juice wattage ranges, some juices I like at higher watts, some at lower and some in-between. I definitely would like to see some more coil choices.

It's a very good flavor sub tank, especially for those that like vaping in the 60-90 watt range.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
A sub tank with great flavor, not a lot of those out there. I'm truly surprised to hear that the flavor is comparable to the RTA. @Eskie and others have been trying to get me on board with the OBS Engine RTA for a while. I've resisted buying RTAs lately because I've found RDTAs to be superior for flavor, at least with my Aspire Quad Flexes, modded L+ and modded Combo RDTAs.
Still with this Sub tank the flavor is very very good for a factory coil.
I think I'm close to 75ml now with my first .2 ohm coil and it's still going strong. Very impressive.

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
A sub tank with great flavor, not a lot of those out there. I'm truly surprised to hear that the flavor is comparable to the RTA. @Eskie and others have been trying to get me on board with the OBS Engine RTA for a while. I've resisted buying RTAs lately because I've found RDTAs to be superior for flavor, at least with my Aspire Quad Flexes, modded L+ and modded Combo RDTAs.
I think I'm close to 75ml now with my first .2 ohm coil and it's still going strong. Very impressive.
The flavor is comparable, but RTAs, imo, will always edge out sub tanks. I'm there with you, my best flavor dual coil tanks have been RDTAs. Similar selection of RDTAs also, Quad-Flex, L+ and the RDTA Box, but my Engine RTAs rival them. Vaping at 70+watts, I still prefer my RDTAs, in the 50-70w range I lean towards my 25mm Engine RTA. There is some crossover depending on juice flavors, some juices I prefer with the RDTA and some with the Engine.

In the under 45w range, then it's easily the Engine Mini over my Quad Flex. I like the Engine Mini so much more that the QF, it is now in full time squonker duty....lol

Many other RTAs seem very similar to each other and was a little skeptical about the flavor from a top airflow design, but OBS has won me over with the Engine design.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

I think RDTAs can be great. And certainly easy to build and wick. My problem (not a problem really but preference) is they're not "throw in your pocket" setups. Unless you enjoy giving your dry cleaner lots of business.;)

The Engines nail it on the flavor and high leak resistance over just about every other solution out there. It doesn't mean I've given up on my other tanks, I'm still using my L+, Merlin (no, mine doesn't leak praise the vape gods) Crius Plus and a bunch of other stuff but I do keep reaching for my Engines through most of the day.

This sub tank does sound like it will be a winner, although other coil options should be offered. I'm still pretty resistant to adding more tanks that need factory coils, but having a "leak proof" tank for traveling that doesn't need to be built outside the house is something I'll have to consider.

Reactions: cigatron

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Well I finally used up my first coil @100ml.
When I first fired up that coil I did detect a machine oil taste but assumed it was because I didn't wash out the new tank. The taste eventually faded after 3 or 4 tank fills.
I washed the tank thoroughly and installed the second coil today and what do you know; machine oil taste. I'll try the other two coils to see if they have the same taste.

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
There's now an OBS V up for preorder on Ave40. It looks to be a Smok competitor with the 8, 12, 16, whatever number of claimed coils they contain, good for 260W. :facepalm:

It might very well be good, but I do wish these crazy factory coil wars would just move on and forget about these gimmicky approaches. But I guess everyone wants a tank that will "work" with their new super duper 350W mod.o_O

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Word is in from an OBS vendor and from OBS themselves. Pretty much everyone is reporting oily taste from the Notch coils. OBS is working on a new coil wire type. I'll update when I know more.

I boiled the notch coils twice; changed the water after the first boil. Seems to have helped tremendously. I can only detect a very very slight residual oily taste. Even then I don't taste it on every pull.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
So my oily tasting OBS notch coils that seemed to be better after boiling eventually would bring back the oily taste if I let the atty sit for 24hrs or longer. Contacted @AlmightyEvan at heavengifts and he has sent the newer obs occ coils as replacement. Great folks and great CS there. I'll report back when I try them.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I received 3 new clapton coils to replace my oily tasting notch coils. They taste oily too. Whaaaat?!
It's definitely not the tank, I boiled all the parts with a little dish soap twice and then rinsed thoroughly before installing the new clapton coils.
It's really too bad because otherwise I really like this tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread