OBS Engine RTA... or is it an RDTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Does the OBS engine wick 80/20 well? Or will you get dry hits?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
It's wicking my 97%VG without any issues at all. That's with fluffy japanese cotton wicks through the holes and almost touching the bottom. No dry hits or flooding.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Jumping on the band wagon.

I have an og Engine and a Mini en route. It'll be fun to compare the two as one is 25mm and the other 23mm but both dual coil attys.

False alarm, they're sending me the non-rebuildable OBS Engine "Sub" tanks for review instead of the RTAs. :(

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
I've had my Engine Mini for over a month and finally built it a few days ago. I put in simple 26ga. nichrome coils at 0.41 ohms and put it on my new Hotcig R150. I finally got the R150, Christmas present to myself, been wanting one a long time. The Engine Mini looks great on it. The Mini has been wicking and vaping great, phenomenal flavor. I think I'm liking the Mini a bit more.

mini2_zpsuoct6vrz.jpg

mini3_zpsvyjew4pu.jpg

An OBS Engine family pic

mini5_zpsu9qca6dh.jpg

MidwestGuy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
Iowa
I've been trying to find a decent tank to replace my old Lemo (v1) tanks. I may have gone a little overboard, but there've been a few that have been released since I last looked (Lemo 2 days) ... to say the least. I now own the following (within the last four weeks):
(2) GeekVape Ammit tanks
(2) Digiflavor Siren tanks
(1) Smok TFV8 (bad salesman, didn't research it ahead of time, but clouds!!!!)
(1) Vaporesso Gemini (haven't been able to get this one to work very well, yet...)
(1) OBS Engine (just received today)

Up until the engine, it was a close battle between the GeekVape Ammit and the Digiflavor Siren. The Siren offers great flavor, and has the airflow I'm looking for on the largest setting (I'm a slow & steady DL guy) but it's annoyingly loud and whistles like crazy, to the point where I don't enjoy using it. The Ammit offers great flavor, the airflow I'm looking for, but I'm not a fan of the small capacity. If they offer a larger version, I'll most likely be buying it.

Anyway, enter the OBS Engine ... best tank I've ever used up to this point. Thinking outside the box, wow ... never experienced (or even heard of) a top airflow design. I've never had much of an issue with leaking, but glad to know that it's pretty much impossible on this one. Huge capacity, very easy build, incredibly versatile in that it can almost be dialed down to MTL/concentrated flavor level with the airflow, or open it up and blow some clouds. This thing is the best of all worlds so far... very impressed with this company and this product. On top of all that, I've never been too worried about "looks" of my devices, but this tank looks amazing on top of my SwitchBox DNA75 mod!

A few "gotchas" ...
  • Shortly stock drip tip can get hot fast. Fixed by using one of my favorite/standard drip tips from a Lemo 2.
  • I had to adjust my build due to shorting ... one side of one of my coils was raised up just enough that it was making contact with the top of the chimney section. A quick adjustment fixed this. I wanted as much clearance as possible so as not to "pinch" my wicking too much when folding them underneath my coils... and like to have the coils close to the airflow to get some good warmth and maximum flavor.
  • Overfilled a bit the first time filling it up ... I'm not really sure when to stop filling (?) this will probably be an experience thing.
I'm not a big fan of dual coils, but just switched to SS316L and building with this stuff is incredibly simple. Overall It was a cinch and ohms read perfectly, meaning the build deck provides great connectivity.

I'm running simple dual, 9 wrap 28GA SS316L coils, coils high (just below the top of the velocity posts), reading .56ohms. Wicked with KGD, thick through the coils, trimmed at the outer edge of the build deck, combed/fluffed and then tucked/looped gently underneath the coils resting on top of the liquid holes, with a tiny section of wick "edge tail fibers" poking through on each one.

I'm using TC, have yet to settle in on a temperature and wattage yet, but so far the Engine is performing perfectly at everything I've thrown at it, so looking forward to dialing it in over the next few days. Just now chucked a pretty healthy and very flavorful cloud at 30W, 440F.

This is my reference tank now, and am happy that I found it. I'll be ordering probably two more of these, and I can see my future self purchasing/trying out the single coil/nano option as well.

Beeker25

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2016
Great review. Have you tried sticking the wicks through the holes just as described in the little booklet. I tried your approach initially and it gave me a bit of a wetter vape while going through the holes makes things dryer, which is what I prefer. Of course that's just me and very likely using less power. Actually it's 47 watts @ 44 ohms. I'm using kanthal in power mode. I never have gotten the power high enough to feel heat at the cap so you must be using more. And probably frying that e juice faster. Agree this is a great tank and now my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I've been trying to find a decent tank to replace my old Lemo (v1) tanks. I may have gone a little overboard, but there've been a few that have been released since I last looked (Lemo 2 days) ... to say the least. I now own the following (within the last four weeks):
(2) GeekVape Ammit tanks
(2) Digiflavor Siren tanks
(1) Smok TFV8 (bad salesman, didn't research it ahead of time, but clouds!!!!)
(1) Vaporesso Gemini (haven't been able to get this one to work very well, yet...)
(1) OBS Engine (just received today)

Up until the engine, it was a close battle between the GeekVape Ammit and the Digiflavor Siren. The Siren offers great flavor, and has the airflow I'm looking for on the largest setting (I'm a slow & steady DL guy) but it's annoyingly loud and whistles like crazy, to the point where I don't enjoy using it. The Ammit offers great flavor, the airflow I'm looking for, but I'm not a fan of the small capacity. If they offer a larger version, I'll most likely be buying it.

Anyway, enter the OBS Engine ... best tank I've ever used up to this point. Thinking outside the box, wow ... never experienced (or even heard of) a top airflow design. I've never had much of an issue with leaking, but glad to know that it's pretty much impossible on this one. Huge capacity, very easy build, incredibly versatile in that it can almost be dialed down to MTL/concentrated flavor level with the airflow, or open it up and blow some clouds. This thing is the best of all worlds so far... very impressed with this company and this product. On top of all that, I've never been too worried about "looks" of my devices, but this tank looks amazing on top of my SwitchBox DNA75 mod!

A few "gotchas" ...
  • Shortly stock drip tip can get hot fast. Fixed by using one of my favorite/standard drip tips from a Lemo 2.
  • I had to adjust my build due to shorting ... one side of one of my coils was raised up just enough that it was making contact with the top of the chimney section. A quick adjustment fixed this. I wanted as much clearance as possible so as not to "pinch" my wicking too much when folding them underneath my coils... and like to have the coils close to the airflow to get some good warmth and maximum flavor.
  • Overfilled a bit the first time filling it up ... I'm not really sure when to stop filling (?) this will probably be an experience thing.
I'm not a big fan of dual coils, but just switched to SS316L and building with this stuff is incredibly simple. Overall It was a cinch and ohms read perfectly, meaning the build deck provides great connectivity.

I'm running simple dual, 9 wrap 28GA SS316L coils, coils high (just below the top of the velocity posts), reading .56ohms. Wicked with KGD, thick through the coils, trimmed at the outer edge of the build deck, combed/fluffed and then tucked/looped gently underneath the coils resting on top of the liquid holes, with a tiny section of wick "edge tail fibers" poking through on each one.

I'm using TC, have yet to settle in on a temperature and wattage yet, but so far the Engine is performing perfectly at everything I've thrown at it, so looking forward to dialing it in over the next few days. Just now chucked a pretty healthy and very flavorful cloud at 30W, 440F.

This is my reference tank now, and am happy that I found it. I'll be ordering probably two more of these, and I can see my future self purchasing/trying out the single coil/nano option as well.
Hot drip tips are usually caused by Insufficient power ie boiling the juice instead of properly vaporizing it. 30w is not enough power for that build imo. I'd try something closer to 60w. The flavor would be better and your hot drip tip problems would disappear. Faster ramp times too.

MidwestGuy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
Iowa
Hot drip tips are usually caused by Insufficient power ie boiling the juice instead of properly vaporizing it. 30w is not enough power for that build imo. I'd try something closer to 60w. The flavor would be better and your hot drip tip problems would disappear. Faster ramp times too.

Thanks @cigatron - running 45W @ 460F with a 70W 1 second "hard" punch to get things moving. Working much better now, no burnt lips!

Reactions: cigatron

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm up to three of these tanks, two for my daily rotation and one in my stash. You really have to work hard at getting this tank to mess up.

It also handles larger builds quite well. I've gone with Claptons and fused Claptons and the tank really turns out amazing flavor. 3 mm coils are fine, probably larger as well, but that's the biggest I've played with to date. All my stuff is built with 316L, so everything is in TC so just a nice warm vape throughout.

Now I'm waiting on a mini, but thanks to Chinese New Year and my laziness placing my order I won't see until Spring. Still, I'm happy with what I've got.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts

I thought the preheat settings would take care of slow ramp and the like.
But yeah, you gotta have the power the build needs after the preheat is gone.

You learn something new every day!

Beeker25

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2016
Thanks @cigatron - running 45W @ 460F with a 70W 1 second "hard" punch to get things moving. Working much better now, no burnt lips!

This is close to my DNA200 settings when I run in SS temp mode. Anywhere from 420 to 460 @40w and 40w punch. Seems to work on most of my builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eskie

Runamok3x

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
New Paltz, NY, USA
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread