ODY using Nextel XC-116 without Moding Ceramic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
I'm glad its working out for you... and I now purposely make my wick's a mm or so longer so that it sticks out a tad past the ceramic housing... I find it to work better this way....

Same here... I had occasional leaking when I had it cut flush. Having nextel stick out a mm on each side has worked beautifully.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Notice below #3 where it says leave space blank, I believe that is how you get just 1' at a time. Here is the link, not sure if its the same as from VO.

Nextelordersheet.png

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
thank you very much kw, GG forum is full of comments like this but everytime I feel like its the first one.
I am glad you like GG series:)
Hey guys, I just got my first Ody last night and all I can say is WOW! My question is about the nextel. I have a 1' length of the XC-116. I also have a torch. So if I understand correctly I need to torch the Nex. B4 using it, correct? I am well versed at mesh, so its pretty much the same process, just torch the heck out of it. Does it change colors or something? How do I know I have cooked it enough?
Imeo, you are truly a master of your craft. When you say you will satisfy every vaper, know that you have satisfied this one.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
@kwalka

You are correct that you can choose less than 10 feet when ordering and I don't know if anything has changed lately but they used to contact you after ordering to let you know they won't ship less than 10 feet. That's something that was previously reported here. Let us know what you find out. Thanks.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
@kwalka

You are correct that you can choose less than 10 feet when ordering and I don't know if anything has changed lately but they used to contact you after ordering to let you know they won't ship less than 10 feet. That's something that was previously reported here. Let us know what you find out. Thanks.

You are correct sir. I just got off the phone w sales. There is a 10' min and $15 for shipping, which is a total of $30. Here is the link

Hey folks we just found the same stuff at Discount Vapers. $3.50 for 6". I was told that link didnt work. Heres the link to DV.

Last edited:

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
i picked up some 116 and the newer stuff too...cant remember the numbers/letters...torchign info woudl be great to find out from someone who has done it

I currently have a pc in my Ody. I was told to torch it, that it would turn fire orange/red, then brilliant white. All of those things did happen. It took approx 2 mins which includes switching ends in which I was holding the piece w hemos. This is the second piece I have had in my Ody in 3 days and all I can tell you is all seems well. Now I did read somewhere in ECF that folks were putting the Nextel in a kiln instead of using a torch and that that was a better method. I dont have a kiln laying around. Hope that helps. You may want to ask Mr Krinkle as he swears by nextel in his Ody.

MrKrinkle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
You can torch the Nextel over a gas stove burner also if you dont have a torch... Ideally a kiln is the best way but the torch or stove method works just as well... but be very thorough if in doubt torch it again and be patient... you cant melt it so burn the heck out of it... and lastly keep in mind the only reason we do this is to burn the coating off that they put on it at the factory....

I was in Michaels the other night and looking at the cotton & bamboo threads people were trying but didnt like how easily it could melt... but I ran across some hemp cord and wonder if that may work for a natural organic solution.... its 10 bucks for 400 yards but wanted to see if anyone else may have tried it first before I gave it a shot....

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Hello MrKrinkle, I just invested in a 100 ft of the nextel wick. Im so confused. I just heated it up with a lighter and it went from almost black to almost white again, Is this enough heating, and another thing, is breathing in the fumes harmful. I was thinking of firing up the grill and since it is propane, thought Id slip it on a stainless steel kabob rod and heat it up, figure the fumes would dissipate better. I set up my Ody with untreated ceramic wick and it is so wonderful. It wicks great, tastes better than cotton. I used it on my Vivi Nova and also the best experience with it yet. Help me get all the correct information. I really like the nextel but I dont want to make myself sick as a result of ignorance.

bTW, I just purchased my first Odysseus, and Im in love, I just wish I could afford another. I was thinking of possibly purchasing the russian/german kayfun, as its similar in looks and building methods.

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
Hello MrKrinkle, I just invested in a 100 ft of the nextel wick. Im so confused. I just heated it up with a lighter and it went from almost black to almost white again, Is this enough heating, and another thing, is breathing in the fumes harmful. I was thinking of firing up the grill and since it is propane, thought Id slip it on a stainless steel kabob rod and heat it up, figure the fumes would dissipate better. I set up my Ody with untreated ceramic wick and it is so wonderful. It wicks great, tastes better than cotton. I used it on my Vivi Nova and also the best experience with it yet. Help me get all the correct information. I really like the nextel but I dont want to make myself sick as a result of ignorance.

bTW, I just purchased my first Odysseus, and Im in love, I just wish I could afford another. I was thinking of possibly purchasing the russian/german kayfun, as its similar in looks and building methods.

Ok this is jmho so take it as you will but here goes.

My prefered method for heat treating the nextel is a kiln. This will burn off the sizing and make it a little more durable. If a kiln isn't available as it isn't for most of us I recomend a propane torch. As per Omega "This sleeving retains strength and flexibility at continuous exposure to 1200°C (2200°F). Short exposures to 1425°C (2600°F) can be tolerated." and since a propane torch only gets to around 1900f you should be fine with most any length exposure and pretty much assures the sizing gets burned off. I keep a small bottle of alcahol around (usually vodka) for rinsing but I am sure pg or vg would work and probably even water but the alcahol evaporates very quickly and leaves behind very little taste.

synthros

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
Spring Hill,Tn
I absolutely love this stuff! Thanks for bringing it up/to us! I'm running a 6 wrap of 30 gauge(thanks KWalka:) on a single piece of the 116 in a Kayfun RBA and this is a seriously durable build. I'm going on week two, I dry burn it back to essentially like new every couple of days and carry on. I'm curious how long it will last, so far so good! At the rate this is headed, a couple of feet of wick/wire should make it a year easy. That's nothing short of outstanding. And it's less the frugality of it for me as it is convenient and relatively "fiddle-free". If I can actually rebuild close to 3-4 weeks at a shot, I'm thrilled with that! While I've gotten much better at wrapping a coil, I still have days where I'm a coil-wrapping mack maven, and days where I can't seem to get it right for anything lol.

Does the Nextel stop wicking well at some point? It hasn't for me yet, but was wondering what you've seen ....
Would you torch it again at some point, or just replace it after some ideal time? Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread