Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
I would hate to start another Ody thread for a small issue, so I am going to Piggy-Back onto this one. I made my first coil a week before I got my Ody, just like Scott, igetcha69's video and when I put it in it vaped like a champ, plenty of vapor, only opened juice control a crack and it worked til dry. Filled it, vaped it dry. Filled it a third time, vapd it dry.

Decided to make another coil, same wick, same wire. It leaked a bit but then worked fine, but I started to get dry hits. Opened the JC a bit, still dry. Little more, still dry. I got to the point when the mouthpiece was literally 11.5-12mm long off the top cap in short mode (about 1/3 of a turn from being totally open/off. It started to wick fine but then started flooding and leaking.

I have since made 5 identical, 1.6ish ohm coils and I am getting the same dry hits, opening the JC in 1/4 turn increments only to be left with flooding/leaking.

I am using COV wick and wire, but tried Silver NR wire as well. Doubled the wick at the top, doubled it in the channels, same issue. Vaselined the bottom O'ring and such, same issue. I am now at about 12 or 13 coils of different configurations and still get dry hits after initial fill.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what I could be doing? It seems like it isn't feeding properly. 50/50 juice, wires turned properly with the nuts as per Imeo's latest video. I am stumped.

Thanks, all.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
Funky you're probably wrapping the wire too tight around the wick that's why you're getting more dry hits this time around. If you wrap it too tight you kind of cut off juice feed to the center of the coil hence the dry hits

Yikes. I Was wrapping it rather tight. I will build a new coil now and try :D Thanks Capt.

Another question. The braided part, where the NR and R meet, should that be close to the wrapped coil or just down the channels. Basically, I am asking, should all of the R wire used in the coil be around the wick, or should some kind of hang off. Is it better to have the braided part near the wick or as far away as possible?

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
Phew, I thought so. I figured that's the only way that made sense. Trying another coil from scratch now Will post a few pictures to make sure everything is on the level. I really appreciate the help. This Ody is a work of art and artisan engineering. So much imagination must be needed to come up with something so..so...... yeah.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
After I got her working as per your suggestion I thought, "hey, why not try big mode so I won't have to refill her at the bar tonight?"

So. I pour out all my juice, wipe her down and take out the extension pieces. Same coil and Wick, etc... I lube up the threads, lock everything down tight and fill it up. Within a couple seconds, juice starts dripping out of the connector pin at a rate of aboot one drop per second; steady, unrelenting. I put the Ody (off the GGTS Base) over the juice bottle and let it sit for five minutes or so...

The tank proceeds to empty down to about a ml or so before I stopped it, poured the rest out and wiped it down. I figured I would try the other (510) mouth piece as well, same result: it emptied right out at about 1 drop/second. So I emptied it out, dried everything off, and put the short mode mouth piece on. Then it hit me:

I tried to isolate the mouthpiece, so I stuck with the shorty, and since I already had the short tank on, I simply added the SS extender and plastic window on top to get the same capacity. As soon as I filled the tank up the rest of the way, it started dripping out again...

So, I'm not sure if it is the pressure of more juice doing it, but I wiped everything down and decided to stay in short mode. As I filled the short tank to the top, juice started dripping out at the same rate as before. I quickly blew through the pin hole until no more gurgling occurred and screwed on the top caps and O'ring and everything worked again. No drops leaking out for the past 5-10 minutes at all, no gurgling.

So I am thinking, if I try to use full mode, and blow the juice leaking through the bottom, 'up' into the ceramic/mouthpiece, quickly put on the caps and seal it, it might work. It wouldn't help with refills, but I don't know what else can be causing it. I have perused the threads pertaining to the Ody and watched Imeos videos and I can't see any successful way to get Full Mode working.

Any thoughts, anybody?

Vape Groovily,

Charlie;
FunkyVapes

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
ckeck this video funky

Thanks Imeo,

I have watched this video a few times and I have been making all of my coils like this. I find that it helps in short mode too to stop the very little leaks. The coil I am trying to use right now in Big mode is exactly like yours in the video, but I still get the dripping leaks.

I have screwed the rebuildable portion very tight into the GGTS base so that the O'ring is very tight at the pin, and I have also made an almost complete circle on both nuts to ensure that they are as flush as possible for the mouth piece.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg

Here are some pictures of the coil. I am surprised how nicely they turned out as these were taken with my phone... :D

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
Ι almost never have leakage funky. Check this video too please:

Watching it now. So for the negative wire, instead of wrapping it around the Ceramic housing, you just let it hang out and actually screw it into the Odysseus base? I am going to make a new coil and try that method out right now.

Kingzkross

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hey funky congrats on the ody. Anyways, in picture #3 that you posted it looks as if there's a gap on the right side between the housing nut and ggts base, make sure that when you screw in the nut, it isn't crossed threaded. I've had this happen a couple of times. So make sure that the nut is on there properly and aligned well

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
Imeo, My Friend,

I have watched the second video so many times, yet I always missed the part where you said you could put the negative wire inside the base instead of screwing the nut onto it. It must have been due to the fact that every time I watched the video I had no Odysseus, just a UFS :D

So, I tried the method and the Ody is not leaking at all in big mode! I am a very happy man right now I promise you that. Thanks to Steve I have no wicking problems or dry hits. Everything is absolutely perfect right now.

I just have to work on my Vapor Rings :D

Last edited:

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
Hey funky congrats on the ody. Anyways, in picture #3 that you posted it looks as if there's a gap on the right side between the housing nut and ggts base, make sure that when you screw in the nut, it isn't crossed threaded. I've had this happen a couple of times. So make sure that the nut is on there properly and aligned well

I saw that too, but I double-checked and it was a "trick of the lens/light" I assure you. It seemed as though it was on perfectly flush.

Edit: Actually... Now that I look closer, especially picture 4 it looks as though the nut is off on a slant, the table is quite level, that definitely could have been the issue all along. I will try a standard coil with the Nut-Contact method when this tank is done and see what happens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread