Status
Not open for further replies.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
One of the things that DSLR's do have over a smartphone camera...

Has to do with the larger lenses ability for more light gathering and resolving finer details because of that as well as other attributes I won't go into. Telescopes are able to do what they do, not because they can magnify more... but because of their light gathering and increase in detail that a larger aperture brings with it.

Here is a shot I took using my 300mm telephoto ( having a 58mm diameter lens, the 300 refers to the focal length ). Because I didn't use a telescope... this shot required that I take multiple pics of the same shot and "stack" them together so I could reduce the noise level and increase the brightness so everything showed up. This is comprised of 99 different shots of which only 33 1.3 second shots were used to create the image from, the other 66 were to help clean up the shots and get rid of noise in the pics. Had I used a telescope with even a larger aperture lens, it would have take just a few or possibly only one shot depending on the diameter of telescope used.

Another reason I needed so many shots ... is that I have no way to track the stars with just a camera and tripod and since they are always moving, I could only take short shots. Even at 1.3 seconds, at this magnification you can still see some slight trails on the stars.

This is the orion Nebula ...

Orion_a_lzn_crop.jpg

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
That second shot is one to be proud of...

I can talk about why a smartphone isn't as good as a DSLR... but I can't say they don't take good pics because they certainly can and that shot is proof of it ( as are many other's I've seen )
Yeah, I love that one. I was about to drive out of the lot, and saw that, and knew I must take a photo! That's through my windshield as well. :)

I do get that the phone isn't near the quality, due to lens size and other reasons. But having that option (and the quality that it does have), is handy at times! :)

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
One of the things that DSLR's do have over a smartphone camera...

Has to do with the larger lenses ability for more light gathering and resolving finer details because of that as well as other attributes I won't go into. Telescopes are able to do what they do, not because they can magnify more... but because of their light gathering and increase in detail that a larger aperture brings with it.

Here is a shot I took using my 300mm telephoto ( having a 58mm diameter lens, the 300 refers to the focal length ). Because I didn't use a telescope... this shot required that I take multiple pics of the same shot and "stack" them together so I could reduce the noise level and increase the brightness so everything showed up. This is comprised of 99 different shots of which only 33 1.3 second shots were used to create the image from, the other 66 were to help clean up the shots and get rid of noise in the pics. Had I used a telescope with even a larger aperture lens, it would have take just a few or possibly only one shot depending on the diameter of telescope used.

Another reason I needed so many shots ... is that I have no way to track the stars with just a camera and tripod and since they are always moving, I could only take short shots. Even at 1.3 seconds, at this magnification you can still see some slight trails on the stars.

This is the orion Nebula ...

View attachment 593581
Wow - that's just stunning RD! :thumb:

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I do get that the phone isn't near the quality, due to lens size and other reasons. But having that option (and the quality that it does have), is handy at times! :)

I do the same thing... for much of the same reasons. While I do try to always keep my DSLR on hand... somethings it's just quicker to grab the smartphone... Here is one of mine from my previous Droid Maxx after a storm had passed thru just as sunset was starting...

DramaticSky1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread