bout times you gots you butts outta bed Maxi, here you coffees
maxi-coffee1.jpg

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Photog geeking out warning... I know few may be interested in this.. but I wanted to share the info anyway with someone since it makes me happy in a techy geeky way :)

Yesterday I received a new lens filter for my camera. The reason I got It is that it filters out the yellow/orange sodium street light pollution... and does it very well if you ask me. When I was researching about what filter to use for this... I found a ton of reviews about this filter for that very purpose and what's interesting is I found few talking about using it for the purpose that it's marketed for...

Here is the Amazon description.... "Also known as a 'didymium' filter, this is used to enhance red, orange and brown subjects to give more color saturation and contrast, while having very little effect on other colors. It can be used in many situations such as architecture where certain building features need emphasising, or for landscapes to enhance foliage and rocky features."

With fall just around the corner... it sounds like it will come in handy for that also... but I'm pretty thrilled already for the main reason I got it.... I think the following shows how effective it can be.

Both pics were taken using the same settings... f-stop ( f2.0 ), shutter speed of 2.5 seconds... and a high sensitivity of 3200 ISO so the light pollution would readily show up... Mother Nature did her part for these test shots and helped by having some thin clouds to help reflect the light pollution back...

DSC_1286_3200iso_1280.jpg

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Photog geeking out warning... I know few may be interested in this.. but I wanted to share the info anyway with someone since it makes me happy in a techy geeky way :)

Yesterday I received a new lens filter for my camera. The reason I got It is that it filters out the yellow/orange sodium street light pollution... and does it very well if you ask me. When I was researching about what filter to use for this... I found a ton of reviews about this filter for that very purpose and what's interesting is I found few talking about using it for the purpose that it's marketed for...

Here is the Amazon description.... "Also known as a 'didymium' filter, this is used to enhance red, orange and brown subjects to give more color saturation and contrast, while having very little effect on other colors. It can be used in many situations such as architecture where certain building features need emphasising, or for landscapes to enhance foliage and rocky features."

With fall just around the corner... it sounds like it will come in handy for that also... but I'm pretty thrilled already for the main reason I got it.... I think the following shows how effective it can be.

Both pics were taken using the same settings... f-stop ( f2.0 ), shutter speed of 2.5 seconds... and a high sensitivity of 3200 ISO so the light pollution would readily show up... Mother Nature did her part for these test shots and helped by having some thin clouds to help reflect the light pollution back...

View attachment 593711
Wow! What a difference a good filter can make! As I mentioned previously, I'm not really into photography, per se, but I do enjoy seeing the results. I had a roommate not too long ago that was into it, with the filters, lenses, and other gizmos. He was like me on vapemail day when he got something new! :D

jmur

Aggie AND Moon's Acct., on retainer for Beckyblue
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Connecticut
I'm baaaack!!:lol::lol::lol:

Picked up a new router this afternoon, and I'm good again.
Wow. Haven't changed out a router in years. Things sure got a heck of a LOT easier these days. Nothing at all like they used to be to set up. Of course, last time I set one up was around the time of the Dark Ages...

MoonLit_Water

We All Shine On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stuart, Florida

Wow. Haven't changed out a router in years. Things sure got a heck of a LOT easier these days. Nothing at all like they used to be to set up. Of course, last time I set one up was around the time of the Dark Ages...
Yep, they're just about plug & play these days

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok

Yep, they're just about plug & play these days

They have gotten a lot easier... but on the 2.4Ghz frequencies you still need to make sure you are only using ch 1, 6 or 11 and not others. Eventually the routers will all just default to using only those but many still try all of the in-between channels out. When they designed the 2.4Ghz channel layout, they overlapped them which means if you are on the other channels, you are getting interference from the neighboring ones also. By selecting just one of the 3 channels I mentioned, you limit the amount of potential interference. The 5Ghz channels don't have this problem and is why I only recommend using those when they are an option....

So... always buy a dual band router... this lets you support older 2.4Ghz WiFi equipment and the newer 5Ghz... If you have to replace a devices wifi and your router supports the 5Ghz... get a dual band for it also. Then setup your 2.4Ghz to use only channels 1, 6 or 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread