rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Last of my Latakia starting to run low...:shock::shock::shock:

:mail:

Call Yimmie and find out how to make more :)

You don't just make Latakia... it's a type of tobacco leaf with a very unique flavor due to how it is cured... so you'd have to extract it from the leaf IF you could find a source for it since it's getting rare to find

Sunray

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2011
Tiger Town, Ala
Good morning.

16427238_707733176042319_6155620540746989135_n.jpg

Reddhott

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
cartoon land,usa

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
@rdosk
maybe you could buy this and soak it???

McClelland Syrian Latakia Blends - Pipes and Cigars

I can never do any Latakia ... period.

Latakia is a very smokey ( think campfire like ) and rich blend of tobacco's originally from the Sirian/Balkan area of Asia that is smoke cured from specific types of wood found in that area ( it's the wood that is almost extinct now and makes it harder to find a good source of ). That is what most people say, and love about the flavor... unfortunately I'm weird. My chemical taster is all messed up on this one, instead I taste an almost iodine like flavor for some odd reason.

Yimmie carried one called "Dark Fire Cured" that I think was using a burley tobacco ( just a guess ) that suited well for a substitute for latakia me. It was a single varietal ( one type of leaf ) and usually mixed into a pipe or other tobacco mix... although it was still pretty nice on it's own.

Extracting the flavor from the tobacco is a relatively simple process but it's also a little time consuming. Most extract using PG although some are using VG if they can be patient enough when filtering it later. A "hot" extraction provides a bolder flavor while a cold extraction is more nuanced. I believe I recall them saying that the cold extraction takes about 3x longer, but I didn't keep up with the process much. For the heat extraction, most would soak the tobacco in the juice and heat it in a water bath ( inside a jar ) in a slow cooker on low for however long it is/was they said it took for a good extraction. They would then use various filtering methods such as something as simple as a coffee filter ( or 3 ) to using a french press coffee maker using 2-5nm filters. The filtering process is the most tedious of all of it and most don't have much of a problem with it... it's just a slow patient thing that must be done at the end. Once done, you use it just the same as you would with any flavoring you add.

The amount of nicotine extracted is negligible to none since that requires a chemical process to do properly... since you aren't burning the tobacco, carcinogens are also non-existent ( if any even exist, lab testing is really the only way to know and few ever have ). It really only extracts just the flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread