Arizona
giphy.gif

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Yesterday afternoon, I was finally able to order the supplies I needed in order to photograph and watch the up and coming solar eclipse. I did have to make some minor compromises that I didn't want to make... The filter I'd originally wanted to get was a good quality glass filter. Since I started looking for them a couple of years ago, they have more than doubled in price because the event is coming closer and demand has risen. Instead, I got a sheet of 8"x8" piece of mylar solar filter and will fix it to a standard UV filter ( almost clear filter usually used primarily to protect a lens as well as filter some UV light ). The UV filter I picked is oversized since I'll likely not get the mylar cut perfectly edge to edge on the UV filter... then I'll also use an adapter to size it down to the size of the lens I plan on using ( the same one I use for the Moon shots I take ).

I also got a 10pk of inexpensive solar glasses... sort of like the old cardboard 3D glasses you'd see in the past, only with mylar solar filters instead of the red/green ones. The 10pk was only $9... so I can share with others if they are in need of some ( hopefully some kids that are getting into the hobby... but whomever may need them ).

The eclipse is to happen on Monday August 21, 2017 ... here is a map just in case you want to try and catch it. I'll probably try to go to somewhere in Missouri ( probably out by OBG and hopefully get to meet him if he's up for it :) )

USA_Eclipse_Aug2017.JPG

jmur

Aggie AND Moon's Acct., on retainer for Beckyblue
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Connecticut
Yesterday afternoon, I was finally able to order the supplies I needed in order to photograph and watch the up and coming solar eclipse...
I'll probably try to go to somewhere in Missouri ( probably out by OBG and hopefully get to meet him if he's up for it :) )

View attachment 667057

Sounds way cool!
...And who knows, after meeting OBG you just may wind up looking like this:D:

einstein-the-original-genius-black-t-shirt-11.jpg

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Sounds way cool!
...And who knows, after meeting OBG you just may wind up looking like this:D:

That would be the best scenario .... weather will a big role in determining where it's best ( travel wise ) to go.

Grand Island NE swinging over to St Clair MO are my best bets as far as travel distances are concerned... about a 7 hour drive to either location. If those pan out weather wise, I'll probably try to leave sometime after midnight so I'd have time to scout a location to setup for the pics... not to mention finding good places for breakfast and lunch if possible or just picking up a fast food something if no town is close by. Trying to get lodging the day before would be nice, but I don't trust the weather enough and it'd add unneeded expense I'd like to not spend if possible.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
I hope that Ollie see's the reminder about the solar eclipse that's coming up in August. It'll be passing very close to where he and the GF lives at, so it'd be a good time to plan ahead for the event if they're interested in it... :)

@oliverturtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread