Not open for further replies.

MoonLit_Water

We All Shine On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stuart, Florida
Just a quick reminder...

Always read the spice container you are grabbing before you put it on whatever.... otherwise what you thought was Chipotle powder ( a smokey ground chili pepper )... may turn out to be Star Anise ( a licorice flavored spice ) instead... :shock: :facepalm:

Putting on enough picante sauce at least covers it ... sort of... :D
a friend of mine, years ago accidentally put cinnamon in some spaghetti sauce he was cooking, decided he liked it that way and has done so ever since.
happy accident you say?, well maybe.
it is a unique flavor but on occasion he has been known to over do it.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
a friend of mine, years ago accidentally put cinnamon in some spaghetti sauce he was cooking, decided he liked it that way and has done so ever since.
happy accident you say?, well maybe.
it is a unique flavor but on occasion he has been known to over do it.

Licorice, anise, star anise and fennel all are similarly flavored but have different strengths. I'm not a big fan of it but I also don't dislike it as much as many do. I first found out about using it in savory dishes when I had gotten my hands on a packet of seasoning that Olive Garden uses in their marinara sauce. It contains crushed red peppers, basil, fennel seeds along with other spices ... likely among those are oregano, sage, thyme, marjoram and possibly savory. The first three are a certainty and the last ones just some commonly used in Italian seasonings so I assume they are also in the mix but I was unable to duplicate it enough to say with any certainty.

If used properly ( IMO ), fennel and the anises being a dark flavor... should be used lightly enough to make things have a deeper flavor but not actually be tasted. With Star Anise, which is a very strong taste... I use a pinch in about 64 oz of sauce, much more and the licorice flavor starts to show and messes things up. Something I've read but never tried ( since I suck at baking )... is using it in lemon cookies... they claim that it can make the difference of a good cookie and a great one is used properly and delicately enough. If someone was going to try adding this flavor... I'd recommend fennel since it's mildly flavored and easier to not over do it.

Cumin is another spice that like the licorice flavors works best if kept at a level that you can't distinguish it in the dish but it still enhances the dish and in fact, doesn't quite taste right without it.

I could see the same being true with cinnamon, clove and nutmeg... in certain dishes.

MoonLit_Water

We All Shine On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stuart, Florida
i often use fennel seed, i grind it myself in my tomato sauces. it's also a seasoning used in many italian sauces.
I also like to buy fresh fennel (bulbs i guess you can call them) and use them in a variety of ways, even in salads at times.
and since i like to use my own spice mixes when i cook mexican i use cumin quite often

AG51

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Dat Way →
Aggie-Coffee-Morning_zps351e046b.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread