Official ProVari 3 Thread - P3 *PART 2*

Status
Not open for further replies.

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
While I'm a Ti nut, (P3, two 2.5s, and a Kabuki) I really pondered my last purchase. Even though my P3 350/Kabuki is my out-and-about mod, I decided against the P3. For $20 more, the Radius is so much more capable imo. I vape low wattage but the only thing I've learned for sure in my years vaping is never say never. If my style changes, the Radius will still be usable. Plus, I really like the feel and durability of the polycarbonate even though I thought it was a major drawback when the model was first introduced.

In fact I've almost decided I don't need 2 Ti 2.5s. But I have absolutely NO idea of what it's worth. I haven't seen one come up for sale in a long time. Is that because no one wants that "old" technology or because those who own one wouldn't think of letting it go?
I think it amounts to whatever makes you happy. I wasn't going to do it, but ended up purchasing another Ti P3 a few days ago, so now I've got 4 Ti P3s (3 silver and the stealth Ti). For a particular vaping style, they're awesome. I have Dicodes tubes that quite honestly do more (hello temp control, 60watts, far higher level of configurability than ProVari's, smaller form factor, the list goes on), but comparing the Dicodes tube to the Ti P3, is like a lead weight vs. a feather.

What I want with me when I'm out is something very small that fits in my pocket (18350 mode); my actual needs are 7-10watts or so, with higher nic/higher pg/lower vg juice. Within this criteria the ProVari Tis are incredibly awesome. So for that matter are the minis, classics, etc. Basically: it's the device that keeps me from smoking cigs.

For higher wattage/sub-ohm'ing, I long ago moved elsewhere. One of my main prerequisites being temp control (or temp guessing, or however you want to call it), which the Radius lacks. I don't need 1.2gigawatts to run 27 coil heads, but I do want temp control, because at higher wattages it starts making a significant difference (in my experience and personal opinion, everything is subjective of course). I have a lot of anger directed at the FDA, and the Radius would no doubt have working TC, instead of their unfinished "coil control" they kicked out the door to beat the 8/8 deadline for no more changes, but, they can't ever finish it/release a better version in the present state of the vaping world, thanks to the FDA.

I have 2 Radius' which I purchased mostly just to complete my ProVari collection and having at least 1 of every model they ever made; but I don't actually use either one, they're packed up for Vapocalypse. I... like the Radius, it's a strange "box mod" which really isn't. It's pretty small, it's a nice unit, but for me personally it just didn't fulfill any need I had. For me, the Procyon is the same thing. I got it, just to complete ProVari collection, but beyond test firing it, I can't imagine ever using it, because a Dicodes tube in 18650 does a lot more, and it's a lot smaller.

In my world: all of ProVape's products up until the P3 = awesome, and items I used every day, at some point in time. The Radius and Procyon = <shrug>. And I fully realize that many people love the Radius and use it as their daily driver. There's are lots of ProVari people who seem to love the Billet Box, for me, b'okay, it looks very interesting, but... it's 2017 and they're showing vids of people slotting in 510 cartos that feels like a strange time-warp for a "new" device. Everything is subjective, what has resonance for your needs, may have none for someone else's.

In short: would I take another Ti P3 or a Radius? No brainer for me, and I already voted with my money for the Ti.

What something is worth is always relative to what somebody is willing to pay for it. A few weeks ago I loaded up on the mini 2.5s when they were $20 each. Now you can buy the same thing for $50 from ProVariFuel, or nearly $200 at many B&Ms. Looking at Ebay, non-Ti minis seem to be going for $50-$130 ... so obviously *somebody* is buying them at those prices. You'd probably get considerably less in the classifieds of a vape-related forum.

Here's a new 2.5 Ti mini at Intaste: InTaste roughly $235 USD. Or here, PROVARI™ 2.5 TITANIUM LIMITED asking price is equivalent to $303 USD.

If you want to sell something, perhaps wait 6-12 months until everything has gone off the market, and suddenly the value of what you've got will increase 5-10x on the grey and black markets which will emerge ;-) "It's no longer available/against the law!" b'okay, so that means the value just went up 500% to start.

Whatever you decide to get, right now would be a good time to do it, because everything has a fire-sale price attached to it, and while anything could happen, it seems likely that very soon there will be no more.

rhammer186

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2015
NY
Question for you folks-

Im looking for a box mod that can last a lifetime. I fear that there will come a time when even the cheap chinese mods wont be able to get shipped or sold to the US. (Im already having some issues with vendors not wanting to ship coils, as well as paypal refusing to facilitate payment for them).

Eventually, my $30 chinese mods will stop working and I dont have the know how of putting together circuits, boards or chips to make my own. Money is an issue as I really cant afford the high end box mods, but I am willing to sacrifice a few meals since it will pay off in the long term. Here is the dilemma, I am a bit stuck between the SX Mini ml class and the Radius 60w.

Anyone have both that can chime in on your experiences and preference with either one? Watts are roughly the same. As for upgrades- Considering once you upgrade the Radius to the last update, it will no longer be a user upgradable mod so no real differnce there either. Im leaning towards the SX since it has a real temp control as opposed to "coil control", whatever that means.

I am aware that this is a Provape thread, but any objective thoughts between the 2 on effectiveness and durability?

APF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Qualicum Beach BC
Question for you folks-

Im looking for a box mod that can last a lifetime. I fear that there will come a time when even the cheap chinese mods wont be able to get shipped or sold to the US. (Im already having some issues with vendors not wanting to ship coils, as well as paypal refusing to facilitate payment for them).

Eventually, my $30 chinese mods will stop working and I dont have the know how of putting together circuits, boards or chips to make my own. Money is an issue as I really cant afford the high end box mods, but I am willing to sacrifice a few meals since it will pay off in the long term. Here is the dilemma, I am a bit stuck between the SX Mini ml class and the Radius 60w.

Anyone have both that can chime in on your experiences and preference with either one? Watts are roughly the same. As for upgrades- Considering once you upgrade the Radius to the last update, it will no longer be a user upgradable mod so no real differnce there either. Im leaning towards the SX since it has a real temp control as opposed to "coil control", whatever that means.

I am aware that this is a Provape thread, but any objective thoughts between the 2 on effectiveness and durability?
I have both, so here is my take. The ML class ranks right up there with the Radius on build quality and is built like a tank. Being a solid mod, the weight reflects it as well. The ML is heavier than the Radius, but the feeling of weight doesn't bother me at all. The size fits my medium size hands perfectly and the ergonomics are superb.

Temp control is where the ML really shines. It already has built in settings for most coil materials such as stainless, nickel, titanuim etc., plus you can use the available software to fine tune temperature curves and just about any other factor you can think of. The ML uses Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to control the temperature, which means that on occasion you can hear a 'rattle snake' effect, which doesn't bother me, but drives some people to distraction. I'll also mention that the ML Class mods are 'battery pigs'. On the plus, they do charge up quickly from a USB, but you will want a high quality 3000 mAh battery.

I guess that I'll come out of the closet and admit that I have two ML Class mods, as well as a Q Class and the latest SX Mini Q Mini, which I use in addition to my ProVari mods. If you are after temp control, the SX Minis are hard to beat, as are your better DNA mods. From the standpoint of a precision built, quality box mod, for non-temp control, the Radius is hard to beat.

The above may or may not help your decision, but I solved the dilemma by getting both. In reality, you can't go wrong with either mod.

rhammer186

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2015
NY
I have both, so here is my take. The ML class ranks right up there with the Radius on build quality and is built like a tank. Being a solid mod, the weight reflects it as well. The ML is heavier than the Radius, but the feeling of weight doesn't bother me at all. The size fits my medium size hands perfectly and the ergonomics are superb.

Temp control is where the ML really shines. It already has built in settings for most coil materials such as stainless, nickel, titanuim etc., plus you can use the available software to fine tune temperature curves and just about any other factor you can think of. The ML uses Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to control the temperature, which means that on occasion you can hear a 'rattle snake' effect, which doesn't bother me, but drives some people to distraction. I'll also mention that the ML Class mods are 'battery pigs'. On the plus, they do charge up quickly from a USB, but you will want a high quality 3000 mAh battery.

I guess that I'll come out of the closet and admit that I have two ML Class mods, as well as a Q Class and the latest SX Mini Q Mini, which I use in addition to my ProVari mods. If you are after temp control, the SX Minis are hard to beat, as are your better DNA mods. From the standpoint of a precision built, quality box mod, for non-temp control, the Radius is hard to beat.

The above may or may not help your decision, but I solved the dilemma by getting both. In reality, you can't go wrong with either mod.
Thank you! Weight may become a factor with my small female hands [emoji22] .

While most high end mod's housing are built solid Im curious about which board will outlive the other. Provari has already proven their lifespan with some of their mods being several years old and still performing like they did when new. Can the SX or similar do the same?

Temp control is the other issue. I may not use it often now, and I can easily use my other TC mods for when I do. But, after those mods die off or break it will be something I think I would want my brick of a mod to do. My thoughts being that you can always use non temp coils on a TC mod, but you can't do the reverse.

Of the SX series and DNA mods that you have, any favorites? (Highest wattage I vape is 45-50)

Last edited:

APF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Qualicum Beach BC
...Of the SX series and DNA mods that you have, any favorites? (Highest wattage I vape is 45-50)

Well, I quess it is put up or shut up time for me. ;)

Of the three DNA 40, three DNA 75 and one DNA 200 mods that I have, I find myself using the DNA 40 mods the most. The most I ever vape at is 30 Watts, so 40 Watts is just fine for me. The DNA mods that I have the most of are Vaporsharks, which all have stellar performance. The earlier DNA 40 boards were a little 'glitchy', but the later boards are fine. Be advised that the DNA 40 boards can't be adjusted on your computer, like the DNA 75, 133 and 200, however I never bother with that feature as the stock settings work just fine for me.

Favorite mods? Vaporshark DNA 40, Lost Vapes Skar DNA 75, ML Class SX Mini, SX Mini Q Mini and any ProVari tube mod. I like the Radius as well, but it is not the first mod I find myself reaching for, in all honesty.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I like my Radius more than my SX Mini M if that helps in any way. Easier to use, as tough and madenin USA (I am Canadian and don't really care, but many do).

The question is if 60w (or 40) will be enough way down the road IMO. That's why I have a few 200w mods and mechs.

rhammer186

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2015
NY
Well, I quess it is put up or shut up time for me. ;)

Of the three DNA 40, three DNA 75 and one DNA 200 mods that I have, I find myself using the DNA 40 mods the most. The most I ever vape at is 30 Watts, so 40 Watts is just fine for me. The DNA mods that I have the most of are Vaporsharks, which all have stellar performance. The earlier DNA 40 boards were a little 'glitchy', but the later boards are fine. Be advised that the DNA 40 boards can't be adjusted on your computer, like the DNA 75, 133 and 200, however I never bother with that feature as the stock settings work just fine for me.

Favorite mods? Vaporshark DNA 40, Lost Vapes Skar DNA 75, ML Class SX Mini, SX Mini Q Mini and any ProVari tube mod. I like the Radius as well, but it is not the first mod I find myself reaching for, in all honesty.

I do appreciate the honesty! Its a big decision since its a lot of money for me to dish out. I havent gotten new vape gear in about 8 months due to budget restrictions [emoji30]. So I'd rather be well informed, either way and for whatever company/board before buying something. I have more Provape products than any other company so I dont feel too bad expanding a bit!!

Thanks again [emoji7]

rhammer186

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2015
NY
I like my Radius more than my SX Mini M if that helps in any way. Easier to use, as tough and madenin USA (I am Canadian and don't really care, but many do).

The question is if 60w (or 40) will be enough way down the road IMO. That's why I have a few 200w mods and mechs.

I dont see myself ever going over 50w which is why a 60-75w device is perfect for me. Im busy watching youtube reviews by Phil Busardo on the board comparisons. So many options! I know that the other mods may be around for me to buy later on should I find myself with some extra money, while the Radius is more - get it while you still can.

Last edited:

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
I'm just curious, can someone weigh a TI and a regular P3 with a battery in it to compare the two?
Provape says that the regular P3 = 3.8oz and the Ti = 2.1oz. So, assuming you have a scale to weigh your battery, that's the answer.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
You will find the weight difference to be almost magical.
I'm sure. And the other reason for the Ti P3 is that I carried them at different times in the inside breast pocket of my jacket. The Radius always fell sideways. (Not a big deal since my Kabuki's never leak on their sides.) But, I didn't have to reach way down to retrieve my mod, since the GMZ P3 was just tall enough to stay upright. Silly I guess, but ergonomics.

Honestly, the P3 I bought is miles above anything I've ever used and at super low wattage. I paid the extra $10 for 30w and I will likely never ever use it, but this thing is excellent. I hope to get a Kabuki eventually and maybe a backup P3. I hope you find what you're looking for!

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
I absolutely love my P3s. Just added the Celtic Knot and it's just as pretty as I hoped it would be.

The finish of the GMZ is flawless but the feel of the stainless is so much better.

For now, I'm only topping them with the Kabuki. :thumbs:

P3s and Kabuki.jpg

I absolutely love my P3s. Just added the Celtic Knot and it's just as pretty as I hoped it would be.

The finish of the GMZ is flawless but the feel of the stainless is so much better.

For now, I'm only topping them with the Kabuki. :thumbs:

View attachment 630281

What kind of tanks do you use? I like the way they look!

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
Received the P3 Provari Programmer today and would like to report that it works perfectly under Win 10.

It's beautifully made with high quality cables and connectors. As it advised, I plugged in the supplied thumb drive and installed the program to my PC. Connected the probe to the control box and then the control box my desktop PC. Took all the rings off my P3 and screwed on the P3 adapter, there it was in the PC screen.
Chose V41 and away it went. Finished and I put my P3 together again and sure enough, it's at V41! Worked so well, I did a couple more, so now all my P3s are at the same Revision.

All the above took maybe 5 minutes tops, so if you have some older P3 revs, the Programmer is well worth the money.

Glad to hear that. Got mine today...no thumb drive or instructions :( Opened ticket

Didn't get thumb drive or instructions with mine either. opened ticket

I guess you can add me to the list of peeps that got the programer without instructions or a thumb drive. Ticket opened... :cry:

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Flyover Central
Question for you folks-

Im looking for a box mod that can last a lifetime...

Anyone have both that can chime in on your experiences and preference with either one?

I have multiples of both and many hours vaping them. But just to confuse you more, I'm going to throw in a third alternative that meets your requirements.

As good as all of the options are, just from a gut feeling approach I expect the Provari stuff to last the longest. Design by aero engineers and boards built to military specifications give me that impression. Milspec is, in almost every case, equivalent to bulletproof. And the designers aren't moonlighters guessing about how to build a mod.

But as for performance, the absolute best performing mods I own are made by Dicodes from Germany. I don't have any of their tubes, but have two Dani Boxes and a Number 6. They have served me well since they are awesomely consistent and require no fiddling with settings to maintain a great vape.

Next, slightly cheaper and more easily available, is the SX Mini M class. Though I have an ML also, it doesn't have any advantages over the M as far as I'm concerned. It has great smooth performance in both power and TC modes. I do not like the latest SX models at all since they have lost the best ergonomics I've ever experienced along with having some bizarre styling.

The Radius? I just bought another one last week. It's somewhat limited in configuration compared to the other two, but is another set it and forget it device. I don't always use TC, and its performance with SS wire in power mode is smoother than the SX and on a par with the DIcodes.

I have been much more efficient at buying than selling so I also have DNA200, DNA75, DNA40, and DNA30 mods. (Yes, a massive culling of the flock is about to occur, vapocalypse be damned.) They are all, in various ways, inferior to the three I've suggested.

So I probably haven't provided much help. The thing is, the three brands I mention all have their individual strengths and you will not be sorry if you get any of them. From a strictly price/quality standpoint I don't think there's anything that comes close to the current Radius.

karlmetz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2014
NW Florida
I guess you can add me to the list of peeps that got the programer without instructions or a thumb drive. Ticket opened... :cry:
Good news...got a reply from ProVape that provided a link for software download with instructions. Got it done and all P3's now updated :) Your ticket will be answered quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread