Status
Not open for further replies.

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
Thanks for the kind offer mate. But I'm in rural Victoria so not really feasible.

But tonight I did a test with the Kanger by installing a pre made coil instead of the mini RBA and there was a noticeable improvement in flavour, so maybe I'm not as good as I originally thought at building my own coils/wicks lol

Anyway the net result is I've finally bitten the bullet and purchased a kabuki and a couple of 5 packs of Aspire nautilus BVC coils.
Should be here by Friday or Monday.
Worst that can happen is I'll need to sell it on and try something else, but I'm quietly confident I'll be a happy camper.
Cheers and thanks All who have given me advice :)
You will let us know, right? You said so... Pictures or it didn't happen!

iBloke

Verified Member
May 25, 2016
The Lan Dow Nunda
You will let us know, right? You said so... Pictures or it didn't happen!
LOL oh there'll be pictures alright! I'll be so excited about having the completed Procyon + Kabuki set up that I won't be able stop myself posting a pic :thumbs:

oh and I just got a confirmation email saying my order has been shipped.
Fingers crossed for Friday arrival lol

APF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Qualicum Beach BC
LOL oh there'll be pictures alright! I'll be so excited about having the completed Procyon + Kabuki set up that I won't be able stop myself posting a pic :thumbs:

oh and I just got a confirmation email saying my order has been shipped.
Fingers crossed for Friday arrival lol
Congrats, iBloke! You are in for a real treat.

iBloke

Verified Member
May 25, 2016
The Lan Dow Nunda
My Kabuki arrived on Friday and as promised I've just taken some pics to post here.
My new lady friend has taken me away on an adventure weekend to places I've never been before and we have just stayed in a tent style hut in a stunning bush setting.

2A338DF1-570F-42AF-A2FE-C3FF458B5AB9_zpshvowjmt7.jpg

iBloke

Verified Member
May 25, 2016
The Lan Dow Nunda
I was going to edit my previous post to add my flavour findings with the Kabuki now that I'm on my second tank of juice.

Unfortunately I find no noticeable flavour increase over the cheap and cheerful Kanger top tank mini I've been using on the Procyon.
I have both tanks with me and have swapped back and forth between puffs and the only difference I've found is the restrictive airflow through the Kabuki, even though I've completely removed the air flow screw.
I've taught myself to adapt to the decrease in airflow and it's not a problem now.

But it looks a million dollars over the Kanger sitting atop my beloved Procyon so that is the only real positive I have gained overall.

Thankyou ALL who have given me advice to arrive at what I'm sure will be my only mod into my vaping future.

The Procyon truly is a thing of beauty.

Cheers
Phil :toast:

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
I was going to edit my previous post to add my flavour findings with the Kabuki now that I'm on my second tank of juice.

Unfortunately I find no noticeable flavour increase over the cheap and cheerful Kanger top tank mini I've been using on the Procyon.
I have both tanks with me and have swapped back and forth between puffs and the only difference I've found is the restrictive airflow through the Kabuki, even though I've completely removed the air flow screw.
I've taught myself to adapt to the decrease in airflow and it's not a problem now.

But it looks a million dollars over the Kanger sitting atop my beloved Procyon so that is the only real positive I have gained overall.

Thankyou ALL who have given me advice to arrive at what I'm sure will be my only mod into my vaping future.

Cheers
Sorry you don't like the Kabuki more than you do. Truth to tell, I didn't really taste that much of a difference from the Nautilus to the Kabuki, certainly not a $75 difference. What enticed me to it was country of origin and everyone drooling over it. Still, I liked it enough to purchase 7 of them for myself and 2 or 3 of them for Jackie.

EDIT: I should add, should there be a problem, customer service is unbeatable, if it's a widespread known problem. Otherwise, you may have some 'splaining to do...

Last edited:

Yonjuro

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2015
Western Australia

Cheers

Bummer that you aren't finding it vastly better than the Kanger.

Do you mind me asking what juice and wattage you are using. I definitely find that some juices just aren't great in the kabuki, but one of my favourites (Blacknote Cadenza ) absolutely sings at 12.2 Watts. Lots of experienced people here do vape at much lower settings than me, but I find I have to go higher to compare with my RTAs.

I make sure I prime a new coil with 1 or 2 drops of e-liquid in the coil, and leave the filled and assembled tank for 5 minutes before vaping.

I start the coil at around 8 watts for 1/4 tank. Then go to 9.4 for another quarter and then I bump it to 12.2 and by the last quarter tank it should be tasting great. The second tank is normally better again.

I use PG 50 VG 50 in the kabuki. I personally don't think it is great with higher VG juices.

There are other ways to get more flavour but you generally get a little less coil life. Try Boost 2 if you aren't satisfied. Don't be afraid to go up to 13 - 13.4 Watts if you are not satisfied with certain juices.

Unfortunately you will probably go through a few more coils than normal at the beginning and finding the sweet spot with various juices. Keep some zip lock bags and swap out a coil, to try a different juice and then go back to it and try a different setting later on.

Last edited:
Reactions: AstroTurf

iBloke

Verified Member
May 25, 2016
The Lan Dow Nunda
Sorry you don't like the Kabuki more than you do. Truth to tell, I didn't really taste that much of a difference from the Nautilus to the Kabuki, certainly not a $75 difference. What enticed me to it was country of origin and everyone drooling over it. Still, I liked it enough to purchase 7 of them for myself and 2 or 3 of them for Jackie..
Nah, it's ok mate. I do love my Procyon/Kabuki combination. Just on looks alone it's a vast improvement over the black Kanger tank on such a beautiful mod. And then of course there's the country of origin thing as well for me, which makes me feel ok about spending such a huge amount of money on a genuine made in the USA product :)

Bummer that you aren't finding it vastly better than the Kanger.

Do you mind me asking what juice and wattage you are using. I definitely find that some juices just aren't great in the kabuki, but one of my favourites (Blacknote Cadenza ) absolutely sings at 12.2 Watts. Lots of experienced people here do vape at much lower settings than me, but I find I have to go higher to compare with my RTAs.

I make sure I prime a new coil with 1 or 2 drops of e-liquid in the coil, and leave the filled and assembled tank for 5 minutes before vaping.

I start the coil at around 8 watts for 1/4 tank. Then go to 9.4 for another quarter and then I bump it to 12.2 and by the last quarter tank it should be tasting great. The second tank is normally better again.

I use PG 50 VG 50 in the kabuki. I personally don't think it is great with higher VG juices.

There are other ways to get more flavour but you generally get a little less coil life. Try Boost 2 if you aren't satisfied. Don't be afraid to go up to 13 - 13.4 Watts if you are not satisfied with certain juices.

Unfortunately you will probably go through a few more coils than normal at the beginning and finding the sweet spot with various juices. Keep some zip lock bags and swap out a coil, to try a different juice and then go back to it and try a different setting later on.
I mix my own juice. 50/50 PG VG, 10mg nic, and this particular one is RY4 tobacco.

So exactly the same juice in both tanks, from the same bottle.
Settings for the Kanger are 27 watts boost one.
Settings for the Kabuki are 11 watts boost one, which is where I've found the best flavour.

But swapping back and forth, changing profiles to suit each tank, there is no noticeable improvement in flavour from the Kabuki....and after my forth kabuki refill I would actually give the nod to the Kanger for having the edge flavour wise...but only just, if anything at all.

So the reality is I've just spent $156 AUS on a Kabuki and a cuppla 5 packs of aspire nautilus BVC coils to top my magnificent Procyon with a quality, and aesthetically matching tank, and gained nothing in flavour, which was one of my main goals.

I may end up just buying something else just as beautiful as the Kabuki, but with an economically rebuildable deck, a much better DL experience, more capacity, easier to fill, and a great flavour to boot.

Trial, and in this case, error :)

Yonjuro

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2015
Western Australia
Nah, it's ok mate. I do love my Procyon/Kabuki combination. Just on looks alone it's a vast improvement over the black Kanger tank on such a beautiful mod. And then of course there's the country of origin thing as well for me, which makes me feel ok about spending such a huge amount of money on a genuine made in the USA product :)

I mix my own juice. 50/50 PG VG, 10mg nic, and this particular one is RY4 tobacco.

So exactly the same juice in both tanks, from the same bottle.
Settings for the Kanger are 27 watts boost one.
Settings for the Kabuki are 11 watts boost one, which is where I've found the best flavour.

But swapping back and forth, changing profiles to suit each tank, there is no noticeable improvement in flavour from the Kabuki....and after my forth kabuki refill I would actually give the nod to the Kanger for having the edge flavour wise...but only just, if anything at all.

So the reality is I've just spent $156 AUS on a Kabuki and a cuppla 5 packs of aspire nautilus BVC coils to top my magnificent Procyon with a quality, and aesthetically matching tank, and gained nothing in flavour, which was one of my main goals.

I may end up just buying something else just as beautiful as the Kabuki, but with an economically rebuildable deck, a much better DL experience, more capacity, easier to fill, and a great flavour to boot.

Trial, and in this case, error :)

Yeah, that is a bummer mate. VV have a Squape R(s) with wide deck ! I have the same and it tastes awesome - super easy to build on. I wouldn't go the newer X(dream) version personally. And maybe rethink the Kayfun 5. Either will definitely give you great flavour with the ability to go MTL or full lung.

Oh, The Squape R(s) is a pain to fill, but so easy to build on so bear that is mind ;-)

iBloke

Verified Member
May 25, 2016
The Lan Dow Nunda
Yeah, that is a bummer mate. VV have a Squape R(s) with wide deck ! I have the same and it tastes awesome - super easy to build on. I wouldn't go the newer X(dream) version personally. And maybe rethink the Kayfun 5. Either will definitely give you great flavour with the ability to go MTL or full lung.

Oh, The Squape R(s) is a pain to fill, but so easy to build on so bear that is mind ;-)
Thanks mate. That's a really nice looking tank and I've added it to my wish list.
But at $180 it's unlikely I'll be able to buy it for a while (gotta save up lol)

Tried something different today. I mix my own juice and I've had a really strong one steeping for a few days which contains 50/50 PG VG, 13mg nic, and 4ml of a baccy concentrate called "styvo" which is less sweet than RY4 and has a generally stronger flavour.
Bumped the Procyon's wattage up to 12 and I'm finally getting close to something that tastes better than what's in the Kanger.

I've even tried closing the air flow down to MTL levels on both tanks with interesting results in favour of the Kabuki, but after all I've read about how awesome the kabuki's are I'm surprised it's been so difficult to get any noticeable flavour improvement.
Slowly reading through the Kabuki thread to try and find some more advice on acheiving a flavour return on my investment.

It's all a bit of a jigsaw puzzle and I'm sure I'll get the right pieces to fit sooner or later LOL :)

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
but after all I've read about how awesome the kabuki's are I'm surprised it's been so difficult to get any noticeable flavour improvement.
I'm not trying to discourage you & I know you'll read more 'OMG the Kabuki is the bomb post' than you will 'OMG the Kabuki is a dud'. I bought mine based on everyone's WOW factors & haven't been WOW'd by it yet- have had it since Dec.
I think for me the problem comes from my wick holes being so closed off once the base is attached making the vape an unappealing struggle to enjoy.

Eventually I'm going to send it to Zen to look at but with so much going on I often forget about it.

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
I'm not trying to discourage you & I know you'll read more 'OMG the Kabuki is the bomb post' than you will 'OMG the Kabuki is a dud'. I bought mine based on everyone's WOW factors & haven't been WOW'd by it yet- have had it since Dec.
I think for me the problem comes from my wick holes being so closed off once the base is attached making the vape an unappealing struggle to enjoy.

Eventually I'm going to send it to Zen to look at but with so much going on I often forget about it.
Who's Zen?

Reactions: AstroTurf

iBloke

Verified Member
May 25, 2016
The Lan Dow Nunda

G'day ScandaLeX
If you look at the inside diameter of the chimney compared to the external diameter of the coil body where the wick holes are you'll see that there is quite a bit of room for the juice to access the full wicking hole.
Its actually not closed off at all even though it appears that way looking at it from the side.

If you have access to a set of vernier calipers you can measure this for yourself and see there is no problem at all with the wicking holes having full access to the juice.

Just a friendly FYI :)

0D3817F9-F379-432F-AC02-310085002D1A_zpsohbk8d0c.jpg

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
G'day ScandaLeX
If you look at the inside diameter of the chimney compared to the external diameter of the coil body where the wick holes are you'll see that there is quite a bit of room for the juice to access the full wicking hole.
Its actually not closed off at all even though it appears that way looking at it from the side.

If you have access to a set of vernier calipers you can measure this for yourself and see there is no problem at all with the wicking holes having full access to the juice.

Just a friendly FYI :)

0D3817F9-F379-432F-AC02-310085002D1A_zpsohbk8d0c.jpg
For some of us the wick holes are covered not allowing juice to flow thru.

@coldgin96 ~ You really dont know who HoH Zen is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread