• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Oh no - Nick Clegg is a vaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirtbloke

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
UK
Oh my God - I had to read a huge amount of electioneering tosh before I got to the meat of what you were on about here.
So nobody else has to wade through the nonsense here's the quote.....

Nick Clegg might suffer from a reputation for struggling to keep promises, but he claims to have made a breakthrough on one long-running ambition: to give up smoking.
The Deputy Prime Minister has become a convert to ‘vaping’, in particular using a blueberry flavoured e-cigarette which helps him unwind at home in the evenings, with the occasional glass of Spanish white wine.
In 2011 Mr Clegg revealed he had gone ‘cold turkey’ to give up smoking, but it did not work.
Two years later he declared he was ‘off the ciggies’, but admitted it might not last. It didn’t.
But now there may have been a breakthrough. ‘It has taken a significant step in the right direction,’ he declared.
‘At the moment, at least for the last several weeks, I am off the fags and on the vapes. I’ve got some hilariously termed multi-voltage thing.
‘I haven’t smoked a cigarette in weeks. I’m not 100 per cent sure what the effect on my health is of these new battery powered things,’ he laughs.
‘You can put all different flavours in it. I have tried the blueberry, it’s good. I recommend the blueberry vape. That’s quite different to the Marlboro Lights.’

Listen - we should give Clegg some leeway here as it's the last political thing he's going to do before being completely ousted at the next election and the nation breathes a collective sigh of relief because they'll never have to listen to him again.

Last edited:

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Listen - we should give Clegg some leeway here as it's the last political thing he's going to do before being completely ousted at the next election and the nation breathes a collective sigh of relief because they'll never have to listen to him again.
Yes, but I'd love to hear more politicians endorsing e-cigs so well!

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
No, you were dead right. He's so thick he doesn't realise that the new EU regs coming in will prohibit the hardware he used (an eGo with a tank) and the refill liquid he used (blueberry muffin) so that others will not have that opportunity.

If you described him as an utterly incompetent, ignorant, dim thingwit, you wouldn't be too far off the mark. How he was lucky enough to be well-advised sufficiently that he chose the right solution is the big question. Probably his wife sorted it out for him and she votes UKIP.

These people are idjits (the only word that isn't censored here :) ) and it's unfathomable how people keep voting for them. One thing I agree with Russell Brand on, anyway.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Don't worry Chris. Nick is history very soon.

If I had my way, they'd all be history, because the majority of new legislation passed by the UK government are EU laws.

Fighting between themselves like a group of drunk women in a small market town over whether we should have 20.00 or 19.88% VAT is a waste of everybody's time.
The whole lot of them are becoming pointless expensive minnows.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
The whole lot of them are becoming pointless expensive minnows.

Too right.

Does vaping turn us all into political cynics or were we cynics beforehand?
There's probably an essay to be written on this subject.

I didn't bother with politics before becoming a vaper, but when a bunch of utterly corrupt liars and useless, incompetent berks are trying to kill you it gets personal.

Had spent years in sports politics and stuff so it wasn't hard to adapt.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Does vaping turn us all into political cynics or were we cynics beforehand?
There's probably an essay to be written on this subject.

No Shirt... it's finding out we are all puppets of the EU.

Our future is no longer in our hands. If we had a referendum, only 30-40% would vote to leave the EU, so referendum is a waste of time.

I am not anti-Europe, but UK MPS may as well just lie down and give up, as their "brothers and sisters" in Brussels (MEPs) are the rulers now.

I've personally always been cynical as I've never lived anywhere why my vote counts... weird that...

Shirtbloke

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
UK
When so many laws and fundamental changes to laws are made in the EU parliament which we (the general public) can seemingly have no influence or voice on, then I suppose it's no surprise that we all get very cynical about politics. I predict that the turnout at the upcoming general election will be the lowest ever, politicians will wring their hands and gnash their teeth and moan "Why? Why?" but they'll do nothing to change it.

Just for the record I've been cynical about politics for decades.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I am not anti-Europe, but UK MPS may as well just lie down and give up, as their "brothers and sisters" in Brussels (MEPs) are the rulers now.

The thing is, MEPs don't have any say except on something of no importance. The TPD was fixed in secret committee in order to bypass the parliament, then got voted in by deception.

I've personally always been cynical as I've never lived anywhere why my vote counts... weird that...

Same here. I live in a safe seat for one of the deadhead parties, and I'm seriously considering moving to a marginal seat in order to vote for someone - anyone - who'll make getting rid of those murderously corrupt liars at the EU a priority.

The funny thing is that 30 years ago and all the time since, I've been the strongest supporter of Europe as a trade market and in all forms of voluntary cooperation. All that time ago, no one could understand what I was on about, and there was strong resistance to it. However, the way the EU has developed into a neo-communist (or even neo-Stalinist) federal government moving towards totalitarianism is unbelievable. We should leave it as soon as possible and join ECTA, the European free trade bloc. That way the economic impact would be minimised, the murderously corrupt political authority would be removed, and we could move ahead without being members of a neo-communist nightmare. It hasn't done Norway or Switzerland any harm, after all - they are masters of their own destiny and trade with the EU with advantage.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
Yes, but I'd love to hear more politicians endorsing e-cigs so well!

I did see a member of UKIP vaping (during some kkkind of debate), he had a box mod with maybe a subtank, he was wearing sunglasses at the time (it was indoors).
He did get some disapproving looks, but that could have been unrelated to the clouds of vapour.
Not sure if it is a good or a bad thing...

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I'd vote for anyone that would rid us of those murderously corrupt liars. UKIP isn't fit to govern but all it has to do is get enough seats to force a referendum soon. Whether that would get us out is another matter - I agree that currently the ins would probably beat the outs. Something would have to be done to shift those figures.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
They might get 5 seats: bound to get a couple in Essex, hold Rochester, 1 in Plymouth, etc.

I'm hoping they get enough to become a thorn in the side of the government of the day. Some of their policies are nuts, but then that's likely anyway for any party just getting seats. For example, free hospital carparks would be an unmitigated disaster, and I say that as someone who visits about 3 times a month and curses the cost. Free = used as a dump for shoppers, neighbours, everyone; you'd never be able to park in there. A discount for genuinely ill people who have to attend weekly for several hours, on the other hand, might be a good idea. Just another populist policy I guess.

Not half as crazy as some of the Greens' policies are, though. People who bang on about renewable power sources have obviously never used it or spoken to an electrical engineer, which kind of invalidates their right to create a policy. Green power is useless without batteries of some kind (any storage device including pumped water gravity flow systems, or giant vanadium batteries maybe, or whatever) to store it - as it's never there when you need it. I've lived on 'green power' for years at a time, and these people don't have a clue. When someone has developed power storage 'batteries' for use anywhere in any region including flatlands with no mountain lakes to store water power, then let's talk about more green power. Until that day it's best to shut the hell up or just show how ignorant you are. Green power generation is easy, you can do it anywhere; but that isn't the problem, storing it is.

Geothermal is the only real answer, and that's too tricky in most countries, with current technology (too deep).

I'm a green by nature, but voting for these idjits is another matter entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread