Oh snap, High Profile Cloud Competition with Nationals

Status
Not open for further replies.

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
They said the same thing about the horseless carriage. Now look... all those people spoiling it for the rest of us with their nice wheels and tinted windows.

Cloud chasers vs tootle puffers is like hummer drivers vs the electric car drivers. "Smug .......s driving their electric cars" "idiots ruining the environment so that they drive their gas guzzling tanks"

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
I would rather see Suicide Bunny donate $15,000 to notblowingsmoke.org. Most cloud chasers would have been thrilled just to get an authentic "it hits like a freight train bro" mech mod as a grand prize.

At first I thought you said to stillblowingsmoke.org and was super confused. A few more comps like this and we will start seeing "professional cloud chasers" as a real job.

Reactions: beckdg

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Some form of regulation is gonna happen regardless of when where why & how we vape. I don't get these posts that treat vaping like something we need to do in secret hence we bring attention upon ourselves!
The complaints are not about treating vaping like something we need to do in secret.
In fact, I think many that are complaining are all in favor of NOT treating vaping that way.
Why showed vapers stop having fun based on all this doom & gloom regarding regulations?
Because death from smoking.
And not having to die from smoking.
They said the same thing about the horseless carriage. Now look... all those people spoiling it for the rest of us with their nice wheels and tinted windows.
I don't think cloud-blowing brings the same level of societal advancement that horseless carriages did.
At first I thought you said to stillblowingsmoke.org and was super confused. A few more comps like this and we will start seeing "professional cloud chasers" as a real job.
Too late...
This Man Is An Athlete In The Sport Of 'Cloud Chasing'
Vaping Becomes A Sport With Professional Vapers Puffing Giant Cloud Smoke : Other Top Menus : Daily Offbeat
"Cloud chasing" , a sport for professional vapers - Vapertini
Inside the world of vapers, the subculture that might save smokers' lives | Digital Trends

Reactions: caferacer

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I'd be surprised if this thing brought any attention at all. I've yet to see a commercial on ESPN promoting it. In fact, this is the only place I heard anything about it. They can give away a million bucks if they want to....it'll still just be vapers who hear about the first big national blow off.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
If the rules/safety precautions were better outlined (ie: requiring 26650 batteries) I'd have a bit of a different tone.

nyiddle, I totally agree with you about needing better safety rules for this type of event. I don't know how I would do it if I were to stage an event like this, haven't ever given it any thought and after thinking on it for a few minutes I realize it's not trivial, but I would not use 26650 batteries.

I don't know of any 26650's that have a true 30A CDR. If I were to run a 0.1 ohm setup with a single battery in a mech mod my first choice would be VTC4's and my second choice would be the Samsung 25R.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The video above did call it the X-Games of vaping. Though I cringe to hear some of the most dangerous and difficult sports on the planet compared to a guy sucking on a tube and blowing out smoke.

I hear ya on the 'most difficult' thing. The 'most dangerous' part though all depends on the battery and other hardware used :eek:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
The video above did call it the X-Games of vaping. Though I cringe to hear some of the most dangerous and difficult sports on the planet compared to a guy sucking on a tube and blowing out smoke.
LOL, yeah, kinda puts in perspective.

Reactions: hashtag

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
I hear ya on the 'most difficult' thing. The 'most dangerous' part though all depends on the battery and other hardware used :eek:

True, some of the vaping injuries I have seen on this site look like something out of a horror movie. At least skateboarding it's usually just a broken bone and heals.

Reactions: Ryedan

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I don't think cloud-blowing brings the same level of societal advancement that horseless carriages did.

That wasn't really my point to be honest. I was more comparing the fact that tuners, racers and motor sport participants could be considered the cloud chasers of automobiles and driving.

They modify, push the limits, challenge commonly held beliefs and break unwritten rules, they compete and often show off. It happens with almost every new technology and innovation.

When this happens, boundaries quickly become a blurred line rather than a clearly defined delineation between those that participate and those that don't.

Cloud chasers do not own or define vaping any more than a cig-a-like user or tootle puffer.

Reactions: snork and DC2

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Whatever the case may be, I will choose to speak with my wallet. If VaporDNA and Suicide Bunny choose to use their profits (which is their prerogative) to shell out such an obscene amount of money to someone that can blow the largest cloud of vapor, while organizations like notblowingsmoke are on gofundme raising money in an attempt to actually win this battle, then I choose to spend my money elsewhere. I would much rather spend my money with a company like Nicoticket, who donated $5000 to the NBS fund raiser.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Whatever the case may be, I will choose to speak with my wallet. If VaporDNA and Suicide Bunny choose to use their profits (which is their prerogative) to shell out such an obscene amount of money to someone that can blow the largest cloud of vapor, while organizations like notblowingsmoke are on gofundme raising money in an attempt to actually win this battle, then I choose to spend my money elsewhere. I would much rather spend my money with a company like Nicoticket, who donated $5000 to the NBS fund raiser.

Which is absolutely your right as a consumer. I don't know much about VaporDNA but I will say that just because they are sponsoring this contest does not preclude their active (and financial) participation in their local SFATA chapter, other state or national organizations.

I do agree with the gist of your post though. Active advocacy is a criteria I also use when deciding which vendor to give my hard-earned cash. I would like to see more people talk about vendors in these terms than those that offer a 15K prize for a cloud contest.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
You guys actually bring up a good topic on it, them shelling out the money for contests rather than using it to help the advocacy groups/research groups to help vaping as a whole.

Im with you Randy, id rather spend my money elsewhere as well. I actually was a VaporDNA shopper, and heard of this contest due to me being on their mailing list. They emailed me about it.

Reactions: Katya

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
For $15k, if they had an Old Lady With Half Fried Lungs Division, I might enter myself :)
I'd be willing to enter in the "vapes pure 100mg nic base" division" myself.

I won't be ready for the old lady division until the wife's had her way with me for a couple more seasons hopefully.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN

Which is absolutely your right as a consumer. I don't know much about VaporDNA but I will say that just because they are sponsoring this contest does not preclude their active (and financial) participation in their local SFATA chapter, other state or national organizations.

I do agree with the gist of your post though. Active advocacy is a criteria I also use when deciding which vendor to give my hard-earned cash. I would like to see more people talk about vendors in these terms than those that offer a 15K prize for a cloud contest.

You guys actually bring up a good topic on it, them shelling out the money for contests rather than using it to help the advocacy groups/research groups to help vaping as a whole.

Im with you Randy, id rather spend my money elsewhere as well. I actually was a VaporDNA shopper, and heard of this contest due to me being on their mailing list. They emailed me about it.
$15K?

Consider it cheap marketing.

Only a slap in the community's face if they actually don't contribute to the cause.

Tapatyped

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
That wasn't really my point to be honest. I was more comparing the fact that tuners, racers and motor sport participants could be considered the cloud chasers of automobiles and driving.

They modify, push the limits, challenge commonly held beliefs and break unwritten rules, they compete and often show off. It happens with almost every new technology and innovation.

When this happens, boundaries quickly become a blurred line rather than a clearly defined delineation between those that participate and those that don't.

Cloud chasers do not own or define vaping any more than a cig-a-like user or tootle puffer.

The problem is most people see the guy with the primer on fiberglass misaligned body kit Honda Civic which sounds like a lawnmover misfiring, rather than the guy who spent a year tuning a R32 to the point one wouldn't know it didnt leave Wolfsburg like that...

The guy with the dirty dishrag is that Honda Civic...

Reactions: InTheShade
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread