Status
Not open for further replies.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
how is usaohmmeter compare to coil master`s platforms?

Via OnePlus A0001
I can not honestly say, I don't have any of the Coilmaster products. One think I do like about the 521 tab my USA does not do, is the leads to check a coil before installation. I don't actually need the pulse/burn function; I'd rather do it on the mod. Plus, all the ones I have seen use a single 18650 for power, which means you couldn't use the pulse function on a build intended for a two or three battery mod that would draw more amperage than a single battery can withstand.

Reactions: haleysdadda

Romenov

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
I can not honestly say, I don't have any of the Coilmaster products. One think I do like about the 521 tab my USA does not do, is the leads to check a coil before installation. I don't actually need the pulse/burn function; I'd rather do it on the mod. Plus, all the ones I have seen use a single 18650 for power, which means you couldn't use the pulse function on a build intended for a two or three battery mod that would draw more amperage than a single battery can withstand.
yes not for full test, just for readings

Via OnePlus A0001

TheMike21

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2015
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
My question is, I have only regulated mods with screens and read without the need of fireing, if I placed a resistance on an ohm meter and It was off once on the mod, what do I do? I can't adjust my mod, I can only throw away my mod anyways. I have an evic vtc, a cuboid and a Kbox mini. One is more accurate than the other, but even when I know kanger is reading higher, what do I do other than shelf the Kbox?

Norr

Jan 26, 2016
Wow I didn't expect this much feedback, thank you to all of you for your input.

My main mod is my Sig150w which has dual authentic Sony VTC4s and according to the most updated battery safety chart by @Mooch I feel pretty confident I have a decent safety margin for any potential builds at 0.15ohms or above. I definitely plan to learn how to make my own sub-ohm builds. Do you still think it is necessary for me to get a multi-meter for my batteries or do you guys think I'd be well off without one?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Wow I didn't expect this much feedback, thank you to all of you for your input.

My main mod is my Sig150w which has dual authentic Sony VTC4s and according to the most updated battery safety chart by @Mooch I feel pretty confident I have a decent safety margin for any potential builds at 0.15ohms or above. I definitely plan to learn how to make my own sub-ohm builds. Do you still think it is necessary for me to get a multi-meter for my batteries or do you guys think I'd be well off without one?
The resistance of the build is not important on a regulated mod, so long as it falls within the range the mod will fire. What counts is where you set the watts. Your Siggie goes up to 150 watts, and you should be able to use the full range with VTC4s as this amounts to only 23+ amps even at 3.2V per battery. If you were using 20 amp batteries-- Samsung 25Rs, LG HE2s, etc.-- I'd say keep it in the 100-120 watt range. The formula for a series regulated mod is (set watts) / (minimum battery voltage x number of batteries) = amps. For better accuracy, multiply that answer by 1.05 or 1.1 to account for efficiency losses on the board.

Reactions: Norr

Norr

Jan 26, 2016
The resistance of the build is not important on a regulated mod, so long as it falls within the range the mod will fire. What counts is where you set the watts. Your Siggie goes up to 150 watts, and you should be able to use the full range with VTC4s as this amounts to only 23+ amps even at 3.2V per battery. If you were using 20 amp batteries-- Samsung 25Rs, LG HE2s, etc.-- I'd say keep it in the 100-120 watt range. The formula for a series regulated mod is (set watts) / (minimum battery voltage x number of batteries) = amps. For better accuracy, multiply that answer by 1.05 or 1.1 to account for efficiency losses on the board.

Okay that makes a little more sense then. I knew the calculation for current/amperage but I wasn't aware of how to calculate in for series. So essentially it seems as long as I can maintain the amp rating from that calculation under the specified continuous discharge rate, I should essentially be in the safe zone, correct? (Which in this case would be 20A or under for my VTC4s according Mooch's chart)

Also another weird side question, when my mod stops firing when it reaches about 30% battery power, do you think this is because I am reaching the "minimum battery voltage"? Do I need to always ensure when firing that I am able to do it at 3.7v?

Reactions: suprtrkr

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Okay that makes a little more sense then. I knew the calculation for current/amperage but I wasn't aware of how to calculate in for series. So essentially it seems as long as I can maintain the amp rating from that calculation under the specified continuous discharge rate, I should essentially be in the safe zone, correct? (Which in this case would be 20A or under for my VTC4s according Mooch's chart)

Also another weird side question, when my mod stops firing when it reaches about 30% battery power, do you think this is because I am reaching the "minimum battery voltage"? Do I need to always ensure when firing that I am able to do it at 3.7v?
Close enough. The VTC4s are native 20A batteries but, if you will look more closely at Mooch's chart, you will see they can be run out to 30A without dangerous overheating. This shortens their life span as heat kills batteries, and they do get warm, but they are unlikely to vent or blow under 30A. They are my go-to battery in nearly everything because I like the headroom, and because I also like mech mods, where a short is seriously dangerous. I have recently acquired a dozen LG HG2s, the 20A, 3000mAh ones, to stuff my two RX200s, but they're quite safe as those are 3-battery mods and they rock the house for battery life. I can go days on a charge from the capacity and the fact I usually have 2 or more mods set up at once so I can change flavors. But all the rest of them, in everything, are VTC4s. I don't recommend you take them over 20A routinely. If you want to do that, buy some LG HB6s. But I sleep better knowing the extra safety is there. Also, I like to leave some room from the rated amps anyway, somewhere between 50-80% of rated capacity is where I like to be. But I don't worry about the VTC4s; I'll run them out to 20 amps without fear or trouble.

The reason your mod stops firing with 30% charge is to prevent overloading the batteries. If you'll look at the formula I quoted above, the denominator is fixed by battery minimum voltage. If your mod kicks batteries out at 3.5 volts, the denominator is bigger and thus the product (the amps) is lower. 150W/(2x3.5V)=21.4A, but if you divide by 6.4 (2x3.2), the amp draw is 23.4A. Thus, you can see amp draw increases as battery voltage decreases, assuming set watts remains the same. Dumping them out "early" is part of the way the designers limit the amp draw. It also extends battery life as a free gimme bonus.

Norr

Jan 26, 2016
The reason your mod stops firing with 30% charge is to prevent overloading the batteries. If you'll look at the formula I quoted above, the denominator is fixed by battery minimum voltage. If your mod kicks batteries out at 3.5 volts, the denominator is bigger and thus the product (the amps) is lower. 150W/(2x3.5V)=21.4A, but if you divide by 6.4 (2x3.2), the amp draw is 23.4A. Thus, you can see amp draw increases as battery voltage decreases, assuming set watts remains the same. Dumping them out "early" is part of the way the designers limit the amp draw. It also extends battery life as a free gimme bonus.

I'm not sure how much you know about the Sig150w, I forget if you said you have one, but do you know if the voltage reading/display on the mod is what I should be doubling or do you think it already doubles it for me? For example, the lowest I see it go on the display is somewhere around 2.4V when it stops firing and it displays the whole "Check Battery" thing. Does this mean it's stopping at 2.4V or 2x2.4=4.8V?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I'm not sure how much you know about the Sig150w, I forget if you said you have one, but do you know if the voltage reading/display on the mod is what I should be doubling or do you think it already doubles it for me? For example, the lowest I see it go on the display is somewhere around 2.4V when it stops firing and it displays the whole "Check Battery" thing. Does this mean it's stopping at 2.4V or 2x2.4=4.8V?
On my Sig-- it's an Old Skool without TC-- the voltage display is for the voltage it's putting on the coil, not the battery voltage per se. The battery voltage is indicated by the battery icon to the side, full = full charge, half = half charge, you know the drill. The voltage display is a different matter. How a regulated mod works is backwards to a mech mod. With a mech, the voltage is (semi) fixed because it's native to the battery. It varies (decreases) from full charge to depleted, but it tends to stay the same for the duration of the puff. Thus, the only way to adjust watts is to change coils. On a mech, at full charge of 4.2 volts across a .5Ω coil, the mod makes 35 watts. As the voltage in the battery decreases due to discharge, down to say 3.5 volts, the watts applied also decreases because the coil stays at .5Ω, down to 24.5 watts.

On a regulated mod, both the coil and the watts are fixed; the coil doesn't change, and the watts you set on the machine. Thus, the mod varies voltage to change watts, not the coil value. If you put a .5Ω coil on, and tell the machine to make 40 watts, it will hit the coil with 4.47V. If you tell it to make 60 watts on the same coil, it will use 5.47V. That figure is what the voltage reading on the screen is telling you: the mod is using X volts on that particular coil to make whatever watts you set.

None of that has anything to do with the amp draw on the battery. It's helpful to think of it as two separate circuits; a battery circuit to power the board, and a firing circuit to power the atomizer. What I just described above is downstream of the board in the firing circuit. Upstream of the board, in the battery circuit, is where amps are applied to the batteries. All the power to the whole machine is supplied by the batteries; this includes both the power used to fire the coil, as well as the efficiency losses (I^2R losses) on the board itself, and the board has to take that power at whatever voltage the batteries are then supplying. Therefore, while the power expended to fire the coil stays the same in all cases (so long as the coil and set watts stay the same), the losses can vary on the board, and the current draw from the battery must increase as battery voltage decreases from discharge to make the required power for the downstream circuit.

Now maybe I am wrong. Perhaps the voltage display on your machine changes, showing applied voltage when the fire button is pressed and snapping back to native battery voltage when the button is released. There's no reason the board couldn't be programmed to do that, although most of them aren't in my experience. In your case, though, I don't think so because 2.4V is lower than it is safe to discharge that type of cell. Generally, 2.7V is considered about the lowest to avoid battery damage, and most mods kick out between 3.5~3.2V. I strongly suspect what you're seeing is the voltage the machine applies to the coil downstream of the board, not the voltage supplied by the batteries upstream of the board. An easy way to check-- I assume you don't have a digital charger that displays battery voltage when you put them in to charge-- is to measure the voltage of the battery with a multimeter when you take it out of the machine. In my Sig, the "discharged" batteries come out within a few hundredths of 3.4V, as measured by my Xtar and Nitecore digital chargers as well as a pair of Fluke multimeters (an 87 and a 287).

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
My question is, I have only regulated mods with screens and read without the need of fireing, if I placed a resistance on an ohm meter and It was off once on the mod, what do I do? I can't adjust my mod, I can only throw away my mod anyways. I have an evic vtc, a cuboid and a Kbox mini. One is more accurate than the other, but even when I know kanger is reading higher, what do I do other than shelf the Kbox?
You don't worry about it. Take it into consideration when you are building, if you care about getting a consistent vape across different mods. That is, if your Kbox reads .3Ω high, and you know this, you can wind your coils .3Ω low if they are intended to go on the Kbox, or at native ohm readings if they are intended to go on a mod that reads accurately. Then you'll get the same vape (other things being equal) from both. One of the things I like about using a stand alone meter is I always get the same reading from the same coil, and I don't have to worry about what the mod thinks unless I want to tweak it (I usually don't bother). Having the stand alone is a good way to check the mod, that's all. Unless you are so picky, or building so close to the ragged edge of safety, you have to worry about a few tenths of an ohm, the fact the mod and the meter are not calibrated to match is not important for most vapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread