Ridgeway, Ohio
Last edited:

PapaSloth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2014
Portland, OR, USA
Ok got it. Say i want to make a 1.0 ohm build .but onlybhave 26 gauge wire. That would be like 13 wraps???
It depends on the diameter of the coil. Your resistance (Ohms) will be proportional to the length of the wire. 13 wraps on a big coil will be a longer wire than 13 wraps on a small coil, so higher resistance. Go look at a resistance calculator like this: Steam Coil Calculator.

Reactions: at1rest

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ok got it. Say i want to make a 1.0 ohm build .but onlybhave 26 gauge wire. That would be like 13 wraps???
Coil Toy Calculator

That depends upon what you are going to wrap your wire around. Use the above calculator. Click on each of the following drop down menus for the wire gauge (WYG - 26), diameter of the screwdriver or drill bit you are wrapping the coil around, and target resistance (1.0 ohm). Then click on the "wraps" window under results.

• Lets see, using a 26 gauge wire wrapped around a 2 mm drill bit for a 1 ohm coil would require 11 wraps.

• Using a 28 gauge wire wrapped around a 2 mm drill bit for a 1 ohm coil requires 7 wraps or loops.

• A 30 gauge wire around a 2 mm drill bit for a 1 ohm coil will require 4 wraps.

You see, you are NOT ready yet and have a lot to learn. Do your homework. Get the proper tools and supplies (precision screwdriver set, tweezers, butane torch, and most important an ohm reader). Click on the links that I already provided to you. All the info you need is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: bijo

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona

Save yourself a lot of grief by not attempting this until you have the knowledge, an ohm meter, a voltage meter and appropriate batteries. Building your own coils comes with the responsibility to protect yourself and others around you. Turn your eagerness towards learning and you will be much happier with your results.

eyerhere

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2013
Warren Mi
Why o why do people ask for advice and then ignore the great resources that are provided?
If you cant figue out by yourself what your coil is going to be then you should not be building it! PERIOD!
If you need help understanding the folks are realy great about steering you right.
Keep reading Keep learning Keep safe keep vaping.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Why o why do people ask for advice and then ignore the great resources that are provided?
People are too lazy to read for themselves and want instant gratification. They want to be spoon fed and not do their homework. Makes you wonder how they got through high school.

"Just tell me exactly what I need to do. I don't need to know the why or how parts".

Its lazy people like this who will have mods and hands that look like this:

modexplosion.jpg mod-explosion-3.jpg mod-explosion-1.jpg

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
You were given help and informative links and warnings about the dangers, seems like you payed no attention due to your second question.

I doubt seriously anyone was trying to be rude, vaping safely is a major concern for anyone using a mechanical.
There is no way to use a mechanical safely without the basic equipment & battery safety knowledge.

If you were expecting an awh heck just wrap this and wing it type answer, we don't give those kind because they can be dangerous.

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Wow thanks for being rude. Just asking for help. And u come at me with rude remarks????

Maybe, perhaps a little - but only because people want you to be safe.

Let's review.

You asked a question.

It was answered by several forum members providing links to answer your question plus a lot of other excellent information.

Then you ask another question showing that you haven't looked at any of the links.

It's a friendly forum franco4, and I really hope you stick around - but particularly right now, battery, coil and mod safety is front and center for everyone in the vaping community.

So even if you do nothing else, please, do yourself a favor and read those links.

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
Technically a sub-ohm coil is a coil that reads below 1 ohm on your ohm meter. Does this answer your question?

If you don't have an ohm meter you MUST get one. :rules:You cannot fire a coil that you have not measured.

Susan is right about what a sub coil is, you have been given a lot of good advice already. The one thing that no one has mentioned yet, about ohm readers is they're not all good for coil building close to 1 ohm or lower. You need to get an ohm reader that reads to the third digit and NOT only to the second digit.

Example:

Good ohm reader

1.04 ohm

Bad ohm reader

1.0 ohm

The reason why this is bad any coil you make between 0.95-1.04 will show up as 1.0 ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread