ohms law help

Status
Not open for further replies.

APathos

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2016
CA USA
github.com
Since your at 4.79v i assume your using a regulated mod (single,dual,triple - with a buck-boost dc-dc converter) . So yes, it's safe. Your mod will give you errors for anything out of its range. FYI think your thinking of the power law: P = V^2/R (google - vape power chart). Ohms law is for amps: I = V/R. Which is still good to know for amp draw.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Can someone help me with ohms law? I'm vaping 28g kanthal twisted dual coils 6wrapd on a 3mm bit, its come out at 0.51 pushing 4.79v at 45w is this safe?

Yes it's safe. On a wattage-regulated device (where you tell it how many watts to use and it uses that many watts), with most standard 20A batteries available today and presuming a cutoff voltage of 3.0v under load, you're good up to about 60 watts per battery. That means you could do 120 watts on a 2-battery device, or 180 watts on three batteries. It doesn't really matter if the batteries are series or parallel, because the amp drain works out the same either way (amp drain is watts/volts -- for multiple batteries, you either multiply the volts x number of batts before the calculation [series], or you divide the result that you get after [parallel] but in the end, you get the same number either way.)

On a mechanical or unregulated device, then you don't get to choose how many watts to use, it's determined by the battery's charge state and the resistance of your load (atomizer). With a standard 20A battery at full charge (4.2v) in a single-battery device, you're good down to around .21 ohms (higher is safer, lower is dangerous). In a multiple-battery, unregulated setup, it matters very much whether they batteries are installed in series or in parallel. Parallel configuration will "share" the load across all batteries, allowing you to build lower, while series will increase the voltage (and not share the load) which means you have to build higher resistances. You end up with higher wattage either way (in parallel, you get same voltage / less resistance = higher watts, in series you get higher voltage(squared) / higher resistance (not squared) = still higher in watts than a single battery.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread