Status
Not open for further replies.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Most of the recommended wattages manufactures list are exaggerated. Most times you will burn out the coil if you use them at the max wattage.
What can happen is the juice burns and leaves a residue on the wicking material and it will not be able to wick new juice. This will then give you dry hits, burnt cotton taste, or really nasty tasting juice.
It's best to start at lower wattages and work up to what you like. It doesn't matter if it's lower or higher than recommended, as long as it tastes right to you.

Who_Dey_1991

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2016
Ohio
If the coil doesn't burn hot enough, it can't vaporize the liquid. However I run .3, .4 and .5's and never go above 35W. Sometimes even as low as 30. So you don't have anything to worry about. If you are happy at 33, vape at 33.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
I'm running a Clapton coil .6 ohms at 22.5w... I'm breaking in a new coil, eventually i'll have it probably at 33w. the danger is too much watts, you are right about the symptoms... flooding, gurgling, spitting.. you get those? if you can run a q-tip in to get the excess, then raise it a few watts(ones you get one that allows it).

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hey everyone. I am wondering if it is relatively safe to vape an atomizer under its recommended wattage. Say I'm running .4 ohm, recommended 40-55 watt.
And my best vape seems to be around 33 watts.

In General higher ohm coils/lower wattage (generally MTL) vaping will:
Heat the coil slower, which may produce “less” vapor
Provide A “cooler” tasting vape, can produce more flavor
May use less E-Juice (<$ less money)
Prolong battery life (<$)
Prolong coil life (<$)
Prolong wick life (<$)
May result in less PV maintenance/Issues
Less irritation to non vapers
Aids stealth vaping
May be better in the long run healthwise (<$)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I run ALL my atomizers (factory ones) at lower watts than the manufacturer's ratings. Using a 0.4 ohm coil rated for 40w + at 33w is intelligent and advised. You can go too low (sure) but as long as it works, carry on. I am pleased to read this post, I really have no sympathy for people who complain their coil doesn't last when they blindly trust the numbers. I know lots of vapers using the Cleito coils around 30-35 watts. Also the same with other tanks/coils.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
No danger in spitting and gurgling, just annoyance. With a regulated mod I don't think there's any danger in going higher either since it will cut down the voltage if your watts are too high thus maintaining the batteries safe amperage. I'm no expert in the electrics so if I'm wrong in what I've said somebody please jump in and give me a swift boot.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
No danger in spitting and gurgling, just annoyance. With a regulated mod I don't think there's any danger in going higher either since it will cut down the voltage if your watts are too high thus maintaining the batteries safe amperage. I'm no expert in the electrics so if I'm wrong in what I've said somebody please jump in and give me a swift boot.
There is no danger, but the chance of burning up the coil if you over power it.

Reactions: djsvapour

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Not sure exactly what you mean here, but a regulated mod can't know the cdr of the batteries and it is therefore fully possible to exceed the capability of a battery.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Not sure exactly what you mean here, but a regulated mod can't know the cdr of the batteries and it is therefore fully possible to exceed the capability of a battery.

Regulated mods specify the required battery to be safe and limit current draw to that specification. Even if you're only using a fourth the power capability of the mod (as I am), strictly speaking the mod only protects you if you have the full required battery (though I'm not sure I do).

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    Regulated mods specify the required battery to be safe and limit current draw to that specification. Even if you're only using a fourth the power capability of the mod (as I am), strictly speaking the mod only protects you if you have the full required battery (though I'm not sure I do).
    Yeah. My point is that, for example, if you use a 20 amp battery in a single-battery mod you can't safely exceed 60 watts.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah. My point is that, for example, if you use a 20 amp battery in a single-battery mod you can't safely exceed 60 watts.

But what the user should be doing is using a 20 amp if the maker says so, in which case it probably won't be capable of more than 60 watts, etc. ... if the maker says 25A and you're using 20A, the mod itself doesn't give the same protection. But you'd still be pretty safe using 30 watts or less, since that has its own advantage. The mod doesn't "know" the CDR of the battery but the designer knew what was supposed to be printed on the page.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    But what the user should be doing is using a 20 amp if the maker says so, in which case it probably won't be capable of more than 60 watts, etc. ... if the maker says 25A and you're using 20A, the mod itself doesn't give the same protection. But you'd still be pretty safe using 30 watts or less, since that has its own advantage. The mod doesn't "know" the CDR of the battery but the designer knew what was supposed to be printed on the page.
    If the user isn't going over 60w (which will result in abysmal battery runtime anyway), better use a higher mAh 20 amp battery. If 25 or 30 amps aren't needed they're not needed. The point is, it's always best to figure out one's amp usage and choose batteries accordingly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread