Status
Not open for further replies.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
translate "unattended loosely"... but at least be home... etc.

exactly! couldn't have said it better myself.

only time i'm adamantly attentive is when i'm charging LiPo packs near 30 amps or so. other than that, as long as i'm home in case of catastrophic failure, i feel safe.

though, my nitecore lives in my room as the kiddos rooms are just adjacent. if there's ever a problem, i want it to be with me, not them.

MonicaRae

ECF Veteran
I've since realized that this post has gone way sideways from where I started! I'm not sure how I started with looking for a new clearo to looking for a whole new setup but I guess that's what happens when the convo starts going! I think it's because someone mentioned they threw away money on 808 gear b4 realizing 510 was the way to go??

I guess it got me thinking and asking questions!! And I must say thank you to everyone for being so quick to suggest things and answer all my questions :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I've since realized that this post has gone way sideways from where I started! I'm not sure how I started with looking for a new clearo to looking for a whole new setup but I guess that's what happens when the convo starts going! I think it's because someone mentioned they threw away money on 808 gear b4 realizing 510 was the way to go??

I guess it got me thinking and asking questions!! And I must say thank you to everyone for being so quick to suggest things and answer all my questions :)

Everybody wants to help you here. But all we can do is tell ya what we like, based on our own framework of experience. So I'll do that…

Sooner or later we all rebuild. The sooner the better. We waste a heck of a lot of $$$ on consumables before we realize it. Take a peek at getting the basics right. A good start…

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/463771-protank-cotton-rebuild-way-i-do.html

Try to imagine if it's for you. Girls have excellent fine motion motor control in their hands. You stand a better chance of nailing it immediately than most guys. We have to fiddle.

Then get ready for incredible flavor improvements when you design the arrangement that works for you. Not the happy median the manufacturer found cost effective.

Recently, I revisited the Kanger Protank 2 Mini. I have a love hate relationship with these devices. But I was amazed just how well the new version performs with a coil properly made for it. Even better than its big brother. And it looks as fabulous on an eGo as well as a compact affordable mechanical like the Magneto.

Just a few thoughts.

I wish you luck!

:)

TafkanX

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Lubbock, Texas, United States
Now see even though I trust my charger and do leave batts in overnight (I just said I wouldn't admit this!) I'd never place it by my head, even while I'm awake! :D It lives on the bathroom counter (en suite, so nearby enough to smell smoke or the like), but not so near that it would catch my bed on fire or singe my eyebrows if the chance-in-a-million set of failures occurred that would end up in a meltdown. :D In fact there is nothing to burn in the bathroom.

Couldn't agree more.... which is why I might re-think the nightstand? At least put it across the room on the dresser, no? Not that it's going to explode.... IMRs can't as we know, but if it did have a meltdown and start a fire, you want the warning smell that wakes you to be across the room... not creeping up your bed! :)

Just sayin'...

I appreciate the concern. It is not as close to me as you might think. My "nightstand" is a trunk that functions as a horizontal surface in arm's reach of my bed. I could have just as easily called it my workbench as it often serves that purpose as well. My charger has to live in my bedroom as it's the only pet-free room in the house and to be honest it wouldn't matter where it was in here, I would never be sleeping very far from it. I do have a charging bag to help contain a failure in the event something does go wrong, but that's just another one of those safety layers discussed previously.

It isn't ideal, but sometimes we have to work with what is practical. In truth I shouldn't charge overnight at all, but I like having fresh batteries for work in the morning. I certainly don't recommend the practice.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal

You're welcome, and here's where it went "sideways" :D (Post #12)

MonicaRae said:
Okay so seeing that I'm already over $100 deep in 808 gear and its time for something new what would you recommend?
Going the 510 route I mean? My 808's are about a year old anyway and I never went really really deep into it...the biggest battery I have is a 650mah volt spinner (yes I know ooooh)
Knowing that about me and also with the knowledge I am not like the ppl who spend big bucks on their vaping gear (a $100 battery NEVER) where should I start? A starter kit? hmmm IDK?????????? An Ego?? A Vamo?? There are SO many possibilities.. a few choices to narrow it down would be lovely

Sorry if you asked for an inch and got a mile, but as with everything these days, there is no quick answer if you're looking to make an informed decision. Mods save much more money in the long run, allow you to grow with your hobby and save even more by rebuilding heads if you should ever desire, and it's easy to upgrade to another mod for cheap b/c you will already have a charger and batts.

Be that as it may, if you have had second thoughts and are back to simply looking for a clearo, my recommendation of the pyrex Aro tank stands, with an 808-to-eGo adapter, which are just a couple bucks. It's about the most problem-free pyrex clearo out there, imho.

http://www.discountvapers.com/smoktech-aro-pyrex-glass-bcc-red/ (also comes in other colors)

As for the adapter I'd get it from the place you bought your 808 gear.... just look for 808-to-eGo cone thread adapter.

Good luck in whatever you choose. :)

EDIT: Just noticed an earlier member familiar with your current 808 gear said adapters don't work well because the threads are proprietary. That is why your choices are so limited and why people advised to get a mod. The Vamo and SVD, for example, have two sets of threads: a 510 threaded connection and an eGo [cone] threaded connection. So these mods will take ALL devices made for 510 or eGos. Proprietary products want to tie you to the few things they make for their batts... hence your frustration and initial post. Again, hope you work something out.

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
exactly! couldn't have said it better myself.

only time i'm adamantly attentive is when i'm charging LiPo packs near 30 amps or so. other than that, as long as i'm home in case of catastrophic failure, i feel safe.

though, my nitecore lives in my room as the kiddos rooms are just adjacent. if there's ever a problem, i want it to be with me, not them.

I hear that. I work from home, am a hermit by choice, and love and trust my XTRA-VP1 so it's almost always plugged in and charging one or both batts. I don't worry about it if I take the dog for a walk (which I do twice a day) or run to the grocery store. It also stays plugged in overnight. That said, because I keep it in the bathroom where I also keep my vape gear and the dog's leash (outside door is adjacent), I am always walking in and out of the bathroom for one thing or another and it's my habit to glance at my lovely charger every time to eye the volt reading and see everything is copacetic. I also occasionally briefly touch the batts to confirm they're cool.

So while I wouldn't think twice about leaving it going even if I stepped out for a few hours (and probably have), it's a safer and better habit to unplug it if you're going to be away. The chances are slim anything would happen [referring to my XTAR-VP1] -- especially "trickle" charging at the optional 250ma vs the 1amp other chargers use as a non-optional default -- but it's better to err on the side of caution.

Speaking of that feature though, I do love it. Normally I leave it at 250ma as it charges in plenty of time while I vape on the fully charged batt... but if for some reason I want a batt charged faster, it's nice to have the option to press the little button and switch it to 500ma or 1amp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread