Ok to keep charging eGo T?

Status
Not open for further replies.

horkus1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2013
Atlanta, GA
One of my batteries is an eGo T pass through and ever since I have had it, I have treated it kind of like I do cell phones; when it is fully charged, I remove it from the connection immediately. My question is it is ok to keep it connected and vape even after the charge is full or will this shorten the life span of the battery?

I only ask because the vapor and TH are just a wee bit better while it is connected.

Thanks for any input!

SRusackas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
San Diego, CA
Although it is recommended to remove all batteries from chargers when the charge is complete, I have never had a problem with ego batteries being left on charge. My egos appear to shut off the charging process when the charge is complete, (i.e. the light goes out)
Barring a complete hardware failure, I would think it should be fine.

trepalium

I'm a Panda
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
hoosiervapers.com
Just an FYI batteries of any kind shouldn't be consistently charged. If you are always charging it it can reduce the lifespan of the battery. It's like if you leave your laptop plugged in all the time, your laptop battery will die. Same thing with a cell phone. Same thing with an eGo. Your battery isn't going to explode or anything, but you will see a little less life from your battery. With the cost of eGos though, it's not really a huge deal.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Actually lithium based batteries do better when you charge them more - it extends the whole life of the battery - nature of the material used. See batteryuniversity.com for more info on charging lithium batts.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

That said, a passthrough that is kept hooked up takes best advantage of the charging attributes of lithium batts. The only suggestion I'd make, is that when the eGo-t PT goes, replace it with an eGo-c 'upgrade' passthrough. For one, the short and charge protection is superior and in the 'variable mode' (not really variable) you'll get a constant voltage of around 4.0V's. If you don't need that much voltage then go to the regulated mode.

Schnarph

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Dripping Springs, TX
Actually lithium based batteries do better when you charge them more - it extends the whole life of the battery - nature of the material used. See batteryuniversity.com for more info on charging lithium batts.

That said, a passthrough that is kept hooked up takes best advantage of the charging attributes of lithium batts. The only suggestion I'd make, is that when the eGo-t PT goes, replace it with an eGo-c 'upgrade' passthrough. For one, the short and charge protection is superior and in the 'variable mode' (not really variable) you'll get a constant voltage of around 4.0V's. If you don't need that much voltage then go to the regulated mode.

How about the eGo-T 2 'upgrade' passthrough? Is that relatively the same in regards to short and charge protection? It seems to have the same unregulated/regulated voltage modes as the one you describe.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
How about the eGo-T 2 'upgrade' passthrough? Is that relatively the same in regards to short and charge protection? It seems to have the same unregulated/regulated voltage modes as the one you describe.

As I understand it from Wayne at heaven gifts through the joyetech techs he communicates with... the eGo-c is the only series that has the highest short and charge protection... The T is better protected than the earlier eGo's. But the eGo-c has an added component from what I understand and they are a tad longer than the T. Here's the blurb on the 'c' at HG:

lithium battery protection: It has strengthened short circuit protection and over discharge protection based on eGo-T batteries and there is a device inside to prevent overcharging.

... and under the eGo-t upgrade, the blurb:

The difference between Joye eGo-T 2 upgrade battery and Joye eGo-C 2 upgrade battery: eGo-C 2 battery has more intensified short circuit protection.

... although they did , as you mention, add the 2 mode function to the T which is nice....

And, btw, the eGo-c Twist has the same upgraded protection.

Last edited:

trepalium

I'm a Panda
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
hoosiervapers.com

Huh never knew that. I was always told the opposite back in my desktop support days. Thanks for the updated info!

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal

This is where I get a tad bit confused, as they have what I interpret as conflicting information.

Battery University said:
Some portable devices sit in a charge cradle in the on position. The current drawn through the device is called the parasitic load and can distort the charge cycle. Battery manufacturers advise against parasitic load because it induces mini-cycles. The battery is continuously being discharged to 4.20V/cell and then charged by the device. The stress level on the battery is especially high because the cycles occur at the 4.20V/cell threshold.

A portable device must be turned off during charge. This allows the battery to reach the set threshold voltage unhindered, and enables terminating charge on low current. A parasitic load confuses the charger by depressing the battery voltage and preventing the current in the saturation stage to drop low. A battery may be fully charged, but the prevailing conditions prompt a continued charge. This causes undue battery stress and compromises safety.

ctrl+f parasitic

for convenience

I would love to assume that laptops at the very least know this, and would switch over to just A/C but that may cause issues when it would be quickly unplugged, so I'm dubious. Not sure about cell phones, my Casio Commando definitely does not like running without the battery in (IE shuts off).

I can only assume that an eGo USB Battery is taking its power from the battery (therefore, not really a pass-through imo) as plain old USB is not capable of the amperage (not at 500ma USB2.0 standard, or even 3.0's 1amp).

What I have noticed, is once they are full, they will turn off the USB charging light until its been used a bit. One or two puffs won't get it to turn back on, at least it wouldn't with my -T. So maybe it drops it to 95% or something, and then will refill it. If its doing that I can only assume its to avoid a parasitic load.

You'll notice they don't call them passthroughs on JoyeTech's website. They are a standard batt with a built in charging circuit and USB Mini-A port. They just happen to function as a pass-through. That is all just semantics I guess. But I don't think I'd call a DNA20 board with their charging circuit and a built in battery a pass-through.

This all might be incorrect as I'm assuming & running mostly with B.U. information. By no means that knowledgeable with batteries, circuitry, etc.

Last edited:

trepalium

I'm a Panda
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
hoosiervapers.com
I think the Main point is that an eGo pass through always plugged in is a very little risk. Even if it was to stop working, they are cheap to replace. I have only had one eGo style battery stop working and it was a knockoff. I have two pass-throughs, one of which is always plugged in to my computer as a backup, and I have never once had an issue.

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
Nor have I, I'm not bagging them, they work exactly as they are supposed to. Still have my -T pass-through and it works great, but its finicky with my well used & built A7 so it doesn't get touched much (another story entirely though).

I think I let my interest in all this battery nonsense get the better of that post haha. But I'm truly curious, as there are 3 things right now in reach that use Li-Ion cells. Seems like I should know a bit about 'em.

:p

If learning a bit about 'em through e-cigs may have possible beneficial implications for my other li-ion based items, all the better :)

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
This is where I get a tad bit confused, as they have what I interpret as conflicting information.

ctrl+f parasitic

for convenience

I would love to assume that laptops at the very least know this, and would switch over to just A/C but that may cause issues when it would be quickly unplugged, so I'm dubious. Not sure about cell phones, my Casio Commando definitely does not like running without the battery in (IE shuts off).

I can only assume that an eGo USB Battery is taking its power from the battery (therefore, not really a pass-through imo) as plain old USB is not capable of the amperage (not at 500ma USB2.0 standard, or even 3.0's 1amp).

What I have noticed, is once they are full, they will turn off the USB charging light until its been used a bit. One or two puffs won't get it to turn back on, at least it wouldn't with my -T. So maybe it drops it to 95% or something, and then will refill it. If its doing that I can only assume its to avoid a parasitic load.

You'll notice they don't call them passthroughs on JoyeTech's website. They are a standard batt with a built in charging circuit and USB Mini-A port. They just happen to function as a pass-through. That is all just semantics I guess. But I don't think I'd call a DNA20 board with their charging circuit and a built in battery a pass-through.

This all might be incorrect as I'm assuming & running mostly with B.U. information. By no means that knowledgeable with batteries, circuitry, etc.

HT :) You're right on the naming - not a true 'passthrough'. And I don't know if this addresses your point well.... I understand what you're saying with other devices, esp. a laptop that is 'on' being 'parasitic' while charging. With the "PT", the fact that the charger comes 'on' is not the same as if you - for instance - would hold the button down so the battery was 'on' - I think that would be parasitic, whereas the charger coming on would not be. I'm guessing that's so obvious that it isn't what you meant. :)

My main point here was to indicate that it is rather well known around here that more frequent charges tend to extend the whole life of a lithium based battery - unlike those that came before. I have two batts for each PV I have and when the light goes green, I switch them out, even though the eGo-c I'm using may only be in the light blue charging range. That is, when I'm paying attention. lol.

And that tends to be the confusing part for people more familiar with NiCad's et. al. with 'memory' and frequent charging, etc. Even some manufacturers - joyetech included, still print out the 'charge for eight hours for the first charge' (to 'set memory') which really is a throw back to the earlier NiCad batts and not pertinent to the lithium set, which then tends to perpetuate the myth :facepalm: :laugh:

Schnarph

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Dripping Springs, TX
The word passthrough does imply that when in use, you are not even using the batteries stored power. I have an old laptop that has such a weak battery that it can only keep it running for 5 minutes when unplugged, very close to being a passthrough. Like Thompson said about a cellphone with no battery at all, it's still not enough juice to run everything as well with a fully charged battery. I saw a youtube video of a guy using a ac/dc converter that put out 5v and something like 1000+mah, wired to a toggle switch, after which the stripped off 510 connection I assume was from a dead vaping battery, unknown brand. That's beyond passthrough, it's just a straight connection to a charger. When I think of the term 'passthrough', I imagine the power bypassing the battery completely. That would require a much bigger ac/dv converter than any battery could handle using to charge. I'm guessing that the term 'passthrough' was a poorly translated term from Mandarin, like Thompson said it's just semantics. I could be wrong...

yotasavg

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Chico, CA

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I agree with what's said here about the passthroughs, but what has occurred to me about the OP is that a 'true' passthrough may be a better option. Like the AMiGo: GotVapes AMiGo VV Mini eGo Pass Through 3.0-4.8 - Stainless [gv-AMIGO-minipassthrough-STNLS] - $17.95 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

yota,

I have one of these given to me by a friend and I like it! It replaced my eG0-c upgrade PT.... goes up to 4.8v and I have it as a drip PV with a cannon drip tip on a cisco 306 atty :- ) The whole thing is about the size of a 650 eGo batt only.lol. Great vape.

yotasavg

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Chico, CA
yota,

I have one of these given to me by a friend and I like it! It replaced my eG0-c upgrade PT.... goes up to 4.8v and I have it as a drip PV with a cannon drip tip on a cisco 306 atty :- ) The whole thing is about the size of a 650 eGo batt only.lol. Great vape.

That's awesome man! I rarely vape sitting in one place so I haven't picked on up yet, but I figured it would be awesome on a roadtrip!

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
That's awesome man! I rarely vape sitting in one place so I haven't picked on up yet, but I figured it would be awesome on a roadtrip!

Mine's by the 'tv chair'. On a roadtrip I'd probably put a T3 on it. I have the eGo-c upgrade PT in the SUV.... with a T3 ;) Can't beat the price on the mini pt though.

If people wanted a VV for sampling flavors - that and a 2.2Ω 510 atty and drip tip would do the job at a good price.

GregoTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lewisville, TX
As I understand it from Wayne at heaven gifts through the joyetech techs he communicates with... the eGo-c is the only series that has the highest short and charge protection... The T is better protected than the earlier eGo's. But the eGo-c has an added component from what I understand and they are a tad longer than the T. Here's the blurb on the 'c' at HG:

lithium battery protection: It has strengthened short circuit protection and over discharge protection based on eGo-T batteries and there is a device inside to prevent overcharging.

... and under the eGo-t upgrade, the blurb:

The difference between Joye eGo-T 2 upgrade battery and Joye eGo-C 2 upgrade battery: eGo-C 2 battery has more intensified short circuit protection.

... although they did , as you mention, add the 2 mode function to the T which is nice....

And, btw, the eGo-c Twist has the same upgraded protection.

I always wondered what the difference was between the T and C batteries. Thought they were the same thing.

yotasavg

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Chico, CA
Mine's by the 'tv chair'. On a roadtrip I'd probably put a T3 on it. I have the eGo-c upgrade PT in the SUV.... with a T3 ;) Can't beat the price on the mini pt though.

If people wanted a VV for sampling flavors - that and a 2.2Ω 510 atty and drip tip would do the job at a good price.

That right there is a great idea, I haven't considered a testing piece. I like!

I always wondered what the difference was between the T and C batteries. Thought they were the same thing.

I did as well, so just to clarify, the T has the dual mode capability, but a C has better circuitry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread