Okay, help me break it down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CronesCauldron

Mar 4, 2017
I'm new to vaping, been puffing for about a month or so. Fairly analytical in my thinking and considered the potential benefits versus possible negatives before ever starting. I'm very happy with my decision to begin vaping for all of the positives of the experience.

Here's the thing, like is expected, my friends who don't vape begin expressing concern over
'things they've read' {we all know Big Brother Tobacco is wasting no time in spreading propaganda}. I offer thanks for their concern and promise to look into it more carefully. So, as a result, I'm sort of revisiting the whole basic 'In what way does vaping affect my body?' question.

I'm working on two questions that have arisen:
1) I started with comparing a commonly accepted form of treating colds or creating a more pleasant living environment by the use of humidifiers or vaporizers. If the moisture derived from breathing in the moisture from a room vaporizer all night and hours during the day is beneficial to our bodies, how is it any different with vaping?... Still working on gathering information on this.

2) At a vape shop yesterday, I was told by the mixer that my ejuice should never contain anything other than PG, VG, flavoring, and nicotine... In other words, no water!

That got me thinking. In a room vaporizer, you fill it with water. There's a bowl at the top {or some other delivery form} for the Vicks or aroma, or you just pour the oily menthol, camphor, whatever, right into the water. The water heats up and you breath in the mist... Supposed to be good for you and is a given, right?

So what's different in vaping?

And, I still am in the process of finding legitimate, research, studies or coming to a reasonable conclusion from discussion with others, that could put my mind at rest against stories of people getting pneumonia/dying from accumulated moisture in the lungs, which I'm sure is propaganda but nonetheless somewhat worrisome if you don't have a more acceptable understanding/belief in place.

What do you think? Anyone else traveling this line of thought?

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
1) I'm not sure, but don't vaporizers and humidifiers just use water? Vaping is more akin to a fog machine like what you'd see at stage plays and rock concerts. Those use the same basic ingredients ([vegetable] glycerin and propylene glycol) as our vape liquid.

2) I wouldn't recommend tap water (that can have stuff in it like chlorine or fluoride or other nasty things you might not want to be vaping), but lots of people add a little DW (distilled water), especially those who have an allergy or are sensitive to PG and find 100% VG liquids to be too thick and viscous. Distilled water should be as pure as pure, and a little goes a long way to thin out a too-viscous liquid. Most people who use it (I don't) I think use between 1-5%. I have heard of people using up to 10 or 20% but it's rare, and it's always easier to add more later than to take out the excess if you've used too much. I've also heard of people using PEG-400 (polyethylene glycol) but I haven't heard much on that lately, and I'm not sure what the reasons might be for making that particular choice, like if it's also used as a replacement for PG or if there's something else. And finally, many people here find that simple freebase nicotine is not sufficient to curb their cravings, and so use liquids containing WTE or WTA's (whole-tobacco extracts, or whole-tobacco alkaloids). These are, as the name implies, "whole" extracts of tobacco and contain more than just the freebase nicotine found in most e-liquids. But yes, if there's no particular reason to use something else, then by all means don't.

CronesCauldron

Mar 4, 2017
I don't know too much but directly from my doctor he said vaping was as healthy for the lungs as a nebulizer treatment and this is a man with a degree. He said it'd easily add twenty years to my life versus smoking. That's all I know. Straight outta the doctors mouth
Thanks... This kind of feedback is what helps me put it in perspective. The fact that he compared vaping to nebulizer treatment is what I'm looking for. It addresses the questions about 'accepted treatments' for the lungs being compared to the process that occurs when moisture/flavored moisture is introduced from a nearly identical source, a vape pipe.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Lungs absorb water, they don't accumulate it. Ever inhaled water, or had some "go down the wrong way?" If you have, you'll notice that you don't cough most of it up - nor do you get pneumonia from just water (pneumonia's a risk if you inhale food, but that's a separate issue). Your lungs absorb it, just as they do the water vapour you inhale with every breath you take.

It is possible to inhale enough water to overwhelm your lungs when they absorb it. If you want to look it up, it's called "secondary drowning" or "delayed drowning" (it's often confused with "dry drowning", but that's something quite different.) Secondary drowning is very rare. You have to inhale a substantial amount of water. Your lungs then absorb it, but as there's too much of it they swell up and start choking you. Even then, you usually get over it - deaths are extremely rare.

The amount of water vapour - not pure water - you'd inhale while vaping is infinitesimal compared to what it takes for secondary drowning. Your lungs can deal with it quite happily.

CronesCauldron

Mar 4, 2017
1) I'm not sure, but don't vaporizers and humidifiers just use water? Vaping is more akin to a fog machine like what you'd see at stage plays and rock concerts. Those use the same basic ingredients ([vegetable] glycerin and propylene glycol) as our vape liquid.

2) I wouldn't recommend tap water (that can have stuff in it like chlorine or fluoride or other nasty things you might not want to be vaping), but lots of people add a little DW (distilled water), especially those who have an allergy or are sensitive to PG and find 100% VG liquids to be too thick and viscous. Distilled water should be as pure as pure, and a little goes a long way to thin out a too-viscous liquid. Most people who use it (I don't) I think use between 1-5%. I have heard of people using up to 10 or 20% but it's rare, and it's always easier to add more later than to take out the excess if you've used too much. I've also heard of people using PEG-400 (polyethylene glycol) but I haven't heard much on that lately, and I'm not sure what the reasons might be for making that particular choice, like if it's also used as a replacement for PG or if there's something else. And finally, many people here find that simple freebase nicotine is not sufficient to curb their cravings, and so use liquids containing WTE or WTA's (whole-tobacco extracts, or whole-tobacco alkaloids). These are, as the name implies, "whole" extracts of tobacco and contain more than just the freebase nicotine found in most e-liquids. But yes, if there's no particular reason to use something else, then by all means don't.
I think you're right about humidifiers using just distilled water, but vaporizers, such as you use beside your bed to aid breathing due to colds, allergies, nasal and respiratory congestion usually do use some form of additive like Vicks, Mentholatum, camphor, eucalyptus, menthol, etc. My pediatrician suggested the use of one with my baby when he was congested with a cold and I still use one for myself for the same problem.

Reactions: bwh79

CronesCauldron

Mar 4, 2017
On reading around information about this issue I found several articles on the subject. Most of them say about the same as the one I'll quote here from a board certified physician addressing the use of Nebulizers and its use as a preferable delivery system (mist) into the lung as a preferable treatment. So, my question to those concerned about moisture introduced to the lung as 'not the problem', but rather 'not cleaning the nebulizer or vape pipe/pen properly' as the problem, which has the concern of introducing bacteria resulting in pneumonia' as the problem:

By Pat Bass, MD - Reviewed by a board-certified physician.
Updated June 23, 2016
Nebulizers, or "breathing machines," as they are often referred to by patients, are devices that allow you to aerosolize liquid asthma medication and inhale it directly into your lungs as a mist. Along with metered dose inhalers (MDIs) and dry powdered inhalers (DPIs), nebulizers are just one of the devices used to deliver your inhaled asthma medication.

Types of nebulizers used for asthma medicine include:

• Jet Nebulizers
  • Ultrasonic Nebulizers
  • Mesh Nebulizers
Many different factors -- including cost, your preferences, and your doctor's preferences -- will determine which nebulizer is best. The kind of asthma medication prescribed also determines which nebulizer can be used. The nebulizers are free-standing but also come in portable models.

Advantages Of Nebulizers
The need for minimal patient cooperation is one of the biggest benefits of using a nebulizer. As a result, nebulizers are often used for infants and young children in the hospital or emergency department. Not only are nebulizers significantly easier to use than MDIs, they're also advantageous if your coordination is not sufficient to appropriately use an MDI. MDIs require a level of skill to correctly deliver medicine to your lungs that can be difficult for patients. When used incorrectly, MDIs may deposit most of the medication into the back of your mouth instead of into your lungs, and can lead to side effects like hoarseness and thrush.

Nebulizers are easy to use. Through your normal breathing, they allow for the correct dose of medication to get where it is needed most: deep into your lungs.

How Do Different Nebulizers Work?
While different nebulizers will have certain properties that may make one nebulizer more appropriate or desirable, no specific nebulizer is better than another for your asthma.

• Jet nebulizers deliver a fine liquid mist of medication through a mouthpiece using compressed air. Jet nebulizers have a small plastic cup with an attached mouthpiece where the liquid medicine is placed. The mouthpiece is connected by plastic tubing to the compressed air source and a motor. As air passes through the small plastic cup containing the liquid medication, the liquid medication is converted to a fine mist which can then be breathed into the lungs. Jet nebulizers are the most commonly prescribed because they are easy to use and inexpensive. Traditional jet nebulizers are often bulky and require an electrical source, which can be a problem when you are traveling. Your asthma treatments also take longer with jet nebulizers, because medication must be mixed with saline. Finally, jet nebulizers are a lot noisier than other types of nebulizers.
  • Ultrasonic nebulizers use a transducer to produce ultrasonic waves that aerosolize your asthma medication. Like jet nebulizers, ultrasonic nebulizers require little patient coordination, but can deliver breathing treatments significantly faster than jet nebulizers and do not require mixing saline with your asthma medication. Ultrasonic nebulizers do not require a compressor and are much more compact. Additionally, ultrasonic nebulizers are quieter and come in portable, battery operated units.

• Mesh nebulizers vibrate a small mesh membrane at very high speeds and as liquid medication is forced through tiny holes in the mesh, an aerosol is produced. Mesh nebulizers are the fastest and also most expensive of the nebulizers. Like ultrasonic nebulizers, battery operated portable models are available, making them very convenient. Because of the vibrating mesh, however, mesh nebulizers need to be cleaned frequently to avoid clogging of the small openings used to create the mist. Finally, a number of experts recommend a backup nebulizer in case the mesh nebulizer fails. This creates added expense.
You can check out a number of different models and prices of nebulizers from these companies:

While it's important for you to follow use and cleaning instructions that come with your nebulizer, it will generally include these steps:

1. Place the appropriate amount of medication in the plastic nebulizer cup.
  2. Assemble the nebulizer as per instructions.
  3. Insert the mouthpiece. If you have a small child your doctor may elect to use a face mask.
  4. Turn on the machine.
  5. Begin breathing normally and continue until all the medication is gone. If you have a small child you will probably want to remain present for the entire treatment.
  6. Turn off the machine.
  7. Clean the machine per instructions.
Are Nebulizers Effective?
Despite their ease of use, research has not demonstrated that asthma control is better when your asthma medication is delivered via this device. Some research has shown that less than half of the dose of common inhaled steroids makes it into your lungs when a nebulizer is used. This has obvious implications for your asthma control. You may need more medication to control your symptoms, an increased dose, or need to take more treatment.

There is also a significant time disadvantage. A nebulizer treatment is usually mixed with water and the treatment takes about 10 minutes. On the other hand, a MDI with a spacer can deliver the same amount of medicine to your lungs in less than a minute. Interestingly many patients still feel that the nebulized treatments are more powerful even though the medication dose is often exactly the same.

Nebulizers And Young Children
Nebulizers can be scary for young kids, especially when first diagnosed with asthma. Here are a couple of tips and tricks to make breathing treatments easier:

• Nebulizers can be fun. Make the nebulized treatments a fun time with your child. Play special games, watch a movie, or read your child a book. Medical supply companies also sell attachments that turn your nebulizer into a fire truck or a bear.
  • Create a routine. For your child's scheduled breathing treatments, the more successful you are in creating a routine, the less resistance you will likely receive from them.
Caring For Your Nebulizers
Cleaning your nebulizer is important: not doing so increases your risk of a respiratory infection like pneumonia. In general, all you need to do is wash your nebulizer pieces with warm, soapy water after each treatment and let them air dry on paper towels. Check your user manual to see if the pieces can be washed in the dishwater.

Sources:

American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. Accessed June 1, 2016. Tips to remember: Inhaled Asthma Medications.

NHLBI Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Asthma. Accessed June 1, 2016. Expert Panel Report 3: Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma.

Tashkin DP. Accessed June 1, 2016. The Role Of Nebulizers In Airways Disease Management

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Both the pg and the vg have antibacterial properties. From all have read, pg even more so than vg. I have been vaping for over 5 years now. I add distilled water to my vg to thin it. I have not had so much as a case of the sniffles since I switched from smoking to vaping. I had at least 3 cases of flu/colds each year with sometimes needing a round of antibiotics to knock them out. I know that my case is considered anecdotal but I am not the only one that has reported the same thing.

I have been making my own e-liquid for at least 4 1/2 years. I mix mine at 60 pg/40 vg. I mix 9% distilled water and 4% saline solution with my vg to get it to the perfect vaping consistency for me. The saline solution seems to keep my e-liquid from drying me out.

IMHO one would breath in more moisture while taking a nice long shower than one would get from vaping the minuscule amount of water in their e-liquid. IMHO the scare tactics tossed around about getting pneumonia from vaping was put out there by those that have no idea as to what they are talking about. JMHO

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
IMHO the scare tactics tossed around about getting pneumonia from vaping was put out there by those that have no idea as to what they are talking about. JMHO

I know what gives me pneumonia - allergies + smoking. I got a bad chest infection each spring of the last four years I smoked. That's two rounds of definitely pneumonia, one of possible pneumonia and one of probably-not-pneumonia-yet-but-I-expect-that's-where-it's-headed.

I'm currently enjoying my fourth illness-free spring. In what I'm sure is a complete coincidence, it also happens to be the fourth spring since I started vaping.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm currently enjoying my fourth illness-free spring. In what I'm sure is a complete coincidence, it also happens to be the fourth spring since I started vaping.
Fantastic!!!!! I hope one day the folks that are out there trying to scare folks would just stop and actually pay attention to what we that vape know to be true for us.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
I had some friends do the same thing, I just smiled, nodded and thanked them and went on vaping. While a lot of them go right on smoking. My bestie though, after saying it was worse at first, did a little research of her own and is now dipping her toes into the vape waters. (I just wish she would overcome her concern of appearing "hipster" if she vapes in public. So she still smokes in public. Can't win every battle.) I could not care less what anyone has to say about it, I did my research and made my choice based on what was acceptable risk imo.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
hmmm.. I smoked 2-3 PAD for 42+ yrs, went to vaping... my lungs cleared up to a point where my Dr. said my lungs sound as clear as someone who hasnt smoked ( 2 yrs of vaping)... I used to catch a severe cold 2 times a year when smoking... while vaping I never had a cold ( 3.5 yrs worth) my sense of smell and taste came back ( good and bad.... while I was smoking, I never knew dog .... burps were that nasty) also found out that my wife IS a Great cook ;)

vaping is cheaper, safer physically ( not 100%) than smoking.... transitioning from smoking to vaping is a better choice... not the best choice ( quitting altogether is but thats another story)... there are way too many success stories here on ECF from using a vape to quit ciggies to be ignored.... the uninformed will believe the propaganda fed to them from the media.... just because they have no idea or basis to begin with....

RedForeman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2010
Georgia
I don't know too much but directly from my doctor he said vaping was as healthy for the lungs as a nebulizer treatment and this is a man with a degree. He said it'd easily add twenty years to my life versus smoking. That's all I know. Straight outta the doctors mouth
My doctor wasn't quite that enthusiastic. She did agree that it ought to be way less harmful than smoking, and encouraged me.

My personal experience now that I have about 7 yrs under my belt is only one slightly annoying thing. Slightly increased phlegm production. By slightly, I mean orders of magnitude less than when I was smoking, so that's a positive thing. Not to mention it's easy to clear and not the thick nasty stuff from smoking. Other benefits include being about to breathe, normal blood pressure, an end to serious dental deterioration, me and surroundings don't smell like an ashtray, and so on.

One thing I've seen over the years is a few very sensitive people might have issues, but the majority experience a major improvement in health when taking up vaping as a replacement for smoking. You could spend weeks on here reading their stories.

I don't know about you, but when I picked up my first cigarette I sure didn't spend a lot of time researching it. But yeah, once the harm sets in with that, I get it that you want to be a little more careful with something new. In 2010 I saw enough regular people reporting benefits vs negatives, that I felt safe to try it out and see what happens. With the idea that if I felt the slightest idea it was affecting me negatively I'd stop. I haven't stopped yet.

CronesCauldron

Mar 4, 2017
Both the pg and the vg have antibacterial properties. From all have read, pg even more so than vg. I have been vaping for over 5 years now. I add distilled water to my vg to thin it. I have not had so much as a case of the sniffles since I switched from smoking to vaping. I had at least 3 cases of flu/colds each year with sometimes needing a round of antibiotics to knock them out. I know that my case is considered anecdotal but I am not the only one that has reported the same thing.

I have been making my own e-liquid for at least 4 1/2 years. I mix mine at 60 pg/40 vg. I mix 9% distilled water and 4% saline solution with my vg to get it to the perfect vaping consistency for me. The saline solution seems to keep my e-liquid from drying me out.

IMHO one would breath in more moisture while taking a nice long shower than one would get from vaping the minuscule amount of water in their e-liquid. IMHO the scare tactics tossed around about getting pneumonia from vaping was put out there by those that have no idea as to what they are talking about. JMHO

Mattiem, completely agree with you! After doing a couple of days of intense research on nebulizers, their base medium, what the lungs physiologically need and do, I have put together a formula close to the one you've listed. I've used 60/40 VG/(15%NS/15%water) as my base and love it! A little crackling on the firing, but who cares?! I'm allergic to PG and hate the feel of straight VG. The big, fluffy white plumes I blow are tepid if not cool. Couldn't be happier with my little experiment.

Still reading all of the 'warnings' from people about my batteries blowing up or shorting out if I use too much water, which makes no sense at all to me. So I'm going to trust common sense and ignore folks who seem to be making it up as they go along. I mean I've actually done it and it works. And I know the ones who say there'll be no vapor if you add more water haven't tried it, I'm surrounded by my proof Ha!

Thanks for the heads up on this great solution!

Reactions: mattiem

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mattiem, completely agree with you! After doing a couple of days of intense research on nebulizers, their base medium, what the lungs physiologically need and do, I have put together a formula close to the one you've listed. I've used 60/40 VG/(15%NS/15%water) as my base and love it! A little crackling on the firing, but who cares?! I'm allergic to PG and hate the feel of straight VG. The big, fluffy white plumes I blow are tepid if not cool. Couldn't be happier with my little experiment.

Still reading all of the 'warnings' from people about my batteries blowing up or shorting out if I use too much water, which makes no sense at all to me. So I'm going to trust common sense and ignore folks who seem to be making it up as they go along. I mean I've actually done it and it works. And I know the ones who say there'll be no vapor if you add more water haven't tried it, I'm surrounded by my proof Ha!

Thanks for the heads up on this great solution!
You are so very welcome. I am thrilled that you now are able to put the naysayers behind you and will be able to continue along on this lifesaving journey with a bit more peace of mind.

Reactions: cigarbabe

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
On reading around information about this issue I found several articles on the subject. Most of them say about the same as the one I'll quote here from a board certified physician addressing the use of Nebulizers and its use as a preferable delivery system (mist) into the lung as a preferable treatment. So, my question to those concerned about moisture introduced to the lung as 'not the problem', but rather 'not cleaning the nebulizer or vape pipe/pen properly' as the problem, which has the concern of introducing bacteria resulting in pneumonia' as the problem:

By Pat Bass, MD - Reviewed by a board-certified physician.
Updated June 23, 2016
Nebulizers, or "breathing machines," as they are often referred to by patients, are devices that allow you to aerosolize liquid asthma medication and inhale it directly into your lungs as a mist. Along with metered dose inhalers (MDIs) and dry powdered inhalers (DPIs), nebulizers are just one of the devices used to deliver your inhaled asthma medication.

Types of nebulizers used for asthma medicine include:

• Jet Nebulizers
  • Ultrasonic Nebulizers
  • Mesh Nebulizers
Many different factors -- including cost, your preferences, and your doctor's preferences -- will determine which nebulizer is best. The kind of asthma medication prescribed also determines which nebulizer can be used. The nebulizers are free-standing but also come in portable models.

Advantages Of Nebulizers
The need for minimal patient cooperation is one of the biggest benefits of using a nebulizer. As a result, nebulizers are often used for infants and young children in the hospital or emergency department. Not only are nebulizers significantly easier to use than MDIs, they're also advantageous if your coordination is not sufficient to appropriately use an MDI. MDIs require a level of skill to correctly deliver medicine to your lungs that can be difficult for patients. When used incorrectly, MDIs may deposit most of the medication into the back of your mouth instead of into your lungs, and can lead to side effects like hoarseness and thrush.

Nebulizers are easy to use. Through your normal breathing, they allow for the correct dose of medication to get where it is needed most: deep into your lungs.

How Do Different Nebulizers Work?
While different nebulizers will have certain properties that may make one nebulizer more appropriate or desirable, no specific nebulizer is better than another for your asthma.

• Jet nebulizers deliver a fine liquid mist of medication through a mouthpiece using compressed air. Jet nebulizers have a small plastic cup with an attached mouthpiece where the liquid medicine is placed. The mouthpiece is connected by plastic tubing to the compressed air source and a motor. As air passes through the small plastic cup containing the liquid medication, the liquid medication is converted to a fine mist which can then be breathed into the lungs. Jet nebulizers are the most commonly prescribed because they are easy to use and inexpensive. Traditional jet nebulizers are often bulky and require an electrical source, which can be a problem when you are traveling. Your asthma treatments also take longer with jet nebulizers, because medication must be mixed with saline. Finally, jet nebulizers are a lot noisier than other types of nebulizers.
  • Ultrasonic nebulizers use a transducer to produce ultrasonic waves that aerosolize your asthma medication. Like jet nebulizers, ultrasonic nebulizers require little patient coordination, but can deliver breathing treatments significantly faster than jet nebulizers and do not require mixing saline with your asthma medication. Ultrasonic nebulizers do not require a compressor and are much more compact. Additionally, ultrasonic nebulizers are quieter and come in portable, battery operated units.

• Mesh nebulizers vibrate a small mesh membrane at very high speeds and as liquid medication is forced through tiny holes in the mesh, an aerosol is produced. Mesh nebulizers are the fastest and also most expensive of the nebulizers. Like ultrasonic nebulizers, battery operated portable models are available, making them very convenient. Because of the vibrating mesh, however, mesh nebulizers need to be cleaned frequently to avoid clogging of the small openings used to create the mist. Finally, a number of experts recommend a backup nebulizer in case the mesh nebulizer fails. This creates added expense.
You can check out a number of different models and prices of nebulizers from these companies:

While it's important for you to follow use and cleaning instructions that come with your nebulizer, it will generally include these steps:

1. Place the appropriate amount of medication in the plastic nebulizer cup.
  2. Assemble the nebulizer as per instructions.
  3. Insert the mouthpiece. If you have a small child your doctor may elect to use a face mask.
  4. Turn on the machine.
  5. Begin breathing normally and continue until all the medication is gone. If you have a small child you will probably want to remain present for the entire treatment.
  6. Turn off the machine.
  7. Clean the machine per instructions.
Are Nebulizers Effective?
Despite their ease of use, research has not demonstrated that asthma control is better when your asthma medication is delivered via this device. Some research has shown that less than half of the dose of common inhaled steroids makes it into your lungs when a nebulizer is used. This has obvious implications for your asthma control. You may need more medication to control your symptoms, an increased dose, or need to take more treatment.

There is also a significant time disadvantage. A nebulizer treatment is usually mixed with water and the treatment takes about 10 minutes. On the other hand, a MDI with a spacer can deliver the same amount of medicine to your lungs in less than a minute. Interestingly many patients still feel that the nebulized treatments are more powerful even though the medication dose is often exactly the same.

Nebulizers And Young Children
Nebulizers can be scary for young kids, especially when first diagnosed with asthma. Here are a couple of tips and tricks to make breathing treatments easier:

• Nebulizers can be fun. Make the nebulized treatments a fun time with your child. Play special games, watch a movie, or read your child a book. Medical supply companies also sell attachments that turn your nebulizer into a fire truck or a bear.
  • Create a routine. For your child's scheduled breathing treatments, the more successful you are in creating a routine, the less resistance you will likely receive from them.
Caring For Your Nebulizers
Cleaning your nebulizer is important: not doing so increases your risk of a respiratory infection like pneumonia. In general, all you need to do is wash your nebulizer pieces with warm, soapy water after each treatment and let them air dry on paper towels. Check your user manual to see if the pieces can be washed in the dishwater.

Sources:

American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. Accessed June 1, 2016. Tips to remember: Inhaled Asthma Medications.

NHLBI Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Asthma. Accessed June 1, 2016. Expert Panel Report 3: Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma.

Tashkin DP. Accessed June 1, 2016. The Role Of Nebulizers In Airways Disease Management
Asthma medications contain a bronchial dilator, vape juice contains nicotine, a vasoconstrictor..

CronesCauldron

Mar 4, 2017

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wow, this one was well-done! Education is always a good thing... Makes me want to reconsider my choice to completely omit PG from my vape mixture. I do believe I could have been having a reaction... I did think so, but if I'm totally honest, I wonder if I was anxious to quickly eliminate something I was suspicious of because I didn't know what it was or it's properties. The more I vape, the more I learn from other vapers, I realize my 'reaction' could just as easily be explained from 'not drinking enough water.'

Hmm, something to think about. I make stick to my new solution... but then again.... Playing around until it's just right and learning new tricks and information along the way is alright, too -- Thanks for the share ;):thumb:

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
You'll find many vapers who say they're "allergic" to PG but most of those don't go to an allergist to actually find out. I use a 50/50 blend typically when I can get it or no more than 60-70% VG.
VG makes me extremely congested with all the attendent wheezing hacking and coughing up phlegm. Although I'm quite fond of a couple brands of jooz which use a majority of VG!
Making jooz that is mostly all VG is a few years old.
When I started in 2010 all commercial juices were 80% PG or more and it was hard to get mixers to add more VG for me....I was experimenting!
Cloud chasers prefer VG for the thick clouds but I like PG because it carries flavors better.
C.B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread