Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
The problem IMO is that so many people are not seeing e-cigs as a smoking cessation device but instead as a loophole around all of the existing cigarette regulations and taxes. Too often the media portrays them that way. At least the KOTV story seems to have gotten it right.

A lot of vapers don't view e-cigarettes as smoking cessation either - IF you consider smoking cessation to be abstinent from all tobacco and tobacco-derived products (which include the tobacco-derived nicotine in most e-cigarette liquid.) ANTZ claim smoking cessation MUST include a goal of complete nicotine abstinence. However, a huge number of vapers do not use their e-cigarettes to become nicotine abstinent, just smoke abstinent. Many vapers weren't even trying to quit smoking when they bought their first device and would still be smoking if they hadn't purchased one. They tried e-cigarettes because they were cheaper than smoking, could be used where smoking was prohibited, don't have the same smell, weren't taxed like cigarettes (protest) and/or wanted to reduce health risks but still keep doing what they enjoyed about smoking. The CASAA 2010 E-cigarette User Survey showed that only 20.4% of the respondents tried e-cigarettes to quit nicotine completely.

The lie of "using them to circumvent smoking bans" is that it is NOT circumventing anything because it's NOT smoking. "Circumventing" would be to still be smoking where it is prohibited. Their argument should be shown to be as ridiculous as claiming that using nicotine gum where smoking is prohibited is "circumventing smoking bans." With their logic, not smoking using pure will power while in a prohibited area, but smoking when you leave, could be considered "circumventing the smoking ban." Smoking is burning tobacco and creating smoke. Not smoking is not smoking - whether it's using an e-cigarette, gum or nothing at all! ;)

Same with the claim that e-cigarettes are just keeping people smoking because it gives them something to "tide them over until they can smoke again." As if smokers don't already use the FDA-approved gums and lozenges to do the same thing. The big difference being that vaping is actually enjoyable and could possibly convert them to vaping full time, whereas gums and patches are not enjoyable and only a short-term solution for most smokers.

And the other claim that seeing these in use where smoking is prohibited promotes smoking or "normalizes" it. No, it promotes and normalizes VAPING. (As if no one can see the people standing outside smoking or vaping when they arrive at or leave an establishment, LOL!)

It's important to know what the ANTZ consider to be a "smoking cessation product" before making our arguments. They don't see smoking cessation the way many vapers do. Most of us consider ourselves to have quit smoking (because we have) but the ANTZ still consider us smokers because we are not nicotine abstinent. :(

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
A lot of vapers don't view e-cigarettes as smoking cessation either - IF you consider smoking cessation to be abstinent from all tobacco and tobacco-derived products (which include the tobacco-derived nicotine in most e-cigarette liquid.) ANTZ claim smoking cessation MUST include a goal of complete nicotine abstinence. However, a huge number of vapers do not use their e-cigarettes to become nicotine abstinent, just smoke abstinent. Many vapers weren't even trying to quit smoking when they bought their first device and would still be smoking if they hadn't purchased one. They tried e-cigarettes because they were cheaper than smoking, could be used where smoking was prohibited, don't have the same smell, weren't taxed like cigarettes (protest) and/or wanted to reduce health risks but still keep doing what they enjoyed about smoking. The CASAA 2010 E-cigarette User Survey showed that only 20.4% of the respondents tried e-cigarettes to quit nicotine completely.

The lie of "using them to circumvent smoking bans" is that it is NOT circumventing anything because it's NOT smoking. "Circumventing" would be to still be smoking where it is prohibited. Their argument should be shown to be as ridiculous as claiming that using nicotine gum where smoking is prohibited is "circumventing smoking bans." With their logic, not smoking using pure will power while in a prohibited area, but smoking when you leave, could be considered "circumventing the smoking ban." Smoking is burning tobacco and creating smoke. Not smoking is not smoking - whether it's using an e-cigarette, gum or nothing at all! ;)

Same with the claim that e-cigarettes are just keeping people smoking because it gives them something to "tide them over until they can smoke again." As if smokers don't already use the FDA-approved gums and lozenges to do the same thing. The big difference being that vaping is actually enjoyable and could possibly convert them to vaping full time, whereas gums and patches are not enjoyable and only a short-term solution for most smokers.

And the other claim that seeing these in use where smoking is prohibited promotes smoking or "normalizes" it. No, it promotes and normalizes VAPING. (As if no one can see the people standing outside smoking or vaping when they arrive at or leave an establishment, LOL!)

It's important to know what the ANTZ consider to be a "smoking cessation product" before making our arguments. They don't see smoking cessation the way many vapers do. Most of us consider ourselves to have quit smoking (because we have) but the ANTZ still consider us smokers because we are not nicotine abstinent. :(

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This 1000%.

KatyLoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tulsa

So the ANTZ don't see e-cigs to be a smoking cessation product purely due to the nicotine, and they won't be happy until all nicotine usage is banned? As far as vices go, what's the difference between nicotine and alcohol? Sounds like Prohibition revisited, even tho I think you could make the argument that nicotine is much less harmful than alcohol.

Actually, it's a little disheartening to hear that so many vapers don't intend to eventually quit. I for one have no intention of being chained to this silly looking battery for the rest of my life. What vaping has done for me is to open up my eyes to what is possible and I'll always be grateful.

Last edited:

Sikko

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2012
Salt Lake City, UT
Actually, it's a little disheartening to hear that so many vapers don't intend to eventually quit. I for one have no intention of being chained to this silly looking battery for the rest of may life. What vaping has done for me is to open up my eyes to what is possible and I'll always be grateful.

I don't intend to quit, never did. I enjoy my caffeine and nicotine. :)

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Actually, it's a little disheartening to hear that so many vapers don't intend to eventually quit.

But why? Why should you even care if others don't intend to eventually quit? In my view, that'd be like me being disheartened because you won't eventually quit eating meat or drinking caffeine.

It's a little disheartening for me to hear that you think e-cigarettes are "silly looking." ;)

As far as vices go, what's the difference between nicotine and alcohol? Sounds like Prohibition revisited, even tho I think you could make the argument that nicotine is much less harmful than alcohol.

Definitely. Unlike alcohol, a "nicotine addict" doesn't get intoxicated. Someone isn't going to drive dangerously, lose inhibition, become violent, miss work or act psychotically because they "under the influence" of nicotine. Nicotine also doesn't cause any diseases like liver disease and oral cancer.

There are HUGE differences between alcohol and nicotine.

And yes - Prohibition is a perfect example of what is happening. ;)

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
As far as vices go, what's the difference between nicotine and alcohol?
Nicotine IMPROVES memory, concentration, and attention, even in non-smokers.
And nicotine is being used to treat Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases, and it looks like it might help prevent them.

Alcohol, well, yeah... not so much.
:)

KatyLoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tulsa
But why? Why should you even care if others don't intend to eventually quit? In my view, that'd be like me being disheartened because you won't eventually quit eating meat or drinking caffeine.

It's a little disheartening for me to hear that you think e-cigarettes are "silly looking." ;)

Definitely. Unlike alcohol, a "nicotine addict" doesn't get intoxicated. Someone isn't going to drive dangerously, lose inhibition, become violent, miss work or act psychotically because they "under the influence" of nicotine. Nicotine also doesn't cause any diseases like liver disease and oral cancer.

There are HUGE differences between alcohol and nicotine.

And yes - Prohibition is a perfect example of what is happening. ;)

Well I guess I am disheartened because I thought this was a place to get support, as I plan to phase out my vaping over time and be completely finished with nicotine. I am well aware of the dark side of alcoholism, that remark was supposed to be sarcastic but obviously didn't play so well.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I look forward to the day when I can put the e-cig away and not have to worry about having a craving, becoming irritable without it, etc., not to mention the substantial $ savings. There is no doubt in my mind that vaping is substantially healthier than smoking, but it still feels to me like a ball and chain.

KatyLoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Tulsa
Nicotine IMPROVES memory, concentration, and attention, even in non-smokers.
And nicotine is being used to treat Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases, and it looks like it might help prevent them.

Alcohol, well, yeah... not so much.

So it sounds like you are saying that nicotine is actually good for us. I'm only at 12mg right now. What level do you recommend I increase to so I won't get Alzheimer's or Parkinson's?

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Well I guess I am disheartened because I thought this was a place to get support, as I plan to phase out my vaping over time and be completely finished with nicotine. I am well aware of the dark side of alcoholism, that remark was supposed to be sarcastic but obviously didn't play so well.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I look forward to the day when I can put the e-cig away and not have to worry about having a craving, becoming irritable without it, etc., not to mention the substantial $ savings. There is no doubt in my mind that vaping is substantially healthier than smoking, but it still feels to me like a ball and chain.

If you feel burdened by your nicotine use, then you SHOULD do whatever you can to quit and be happy! That is your choice and I support and respect that. But a LOT of people do not feel anymore burdened by their nicotine "dependence" than they feel burdened by needing to eat every day.

Our point is that it should be a choice and other people shouldn't project their own negative feelings about nicotine dependence on us and expect us to adhere to their ideology. I resent ANTZ calling me a "nicotine addict" like I should be ashamed. Even worse, calling me a "nicotine JUNKY" in a blatant attempt to MAKE me feel ashamed. If my nicotine use isn't really hurting me and doesn't make me unhappy, why must I quit just to make other people respect me? Why must I be punished by society for my choices any more than the coffee drinkers and meat eaters? That's all we're trying to say.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
So it sounds like you are saying that nicotine is actually good for us.
Yes, I believe it is in moderation, otherwise I wouldn't be using it.
Just like drinking a glass or two of wine every day is now considered good for you.

I'm only at 12mg right now. What level do you recommend I increase to so I won't get Alzheimer's or Parkinson's?
My spidey-sense tells me you were being sarcastic.

But I'll answer anyway, because it is a good and valid question...

So I would really like to know that myself, but alas, I do not.
All I can tell you is that I use about 1ml of 12mg juice every day, and have since I started vaping.

The only problem I can see is that I often have to remind myself to vape nowadays.
I often don't start until after I get off work.

Last edited:
NO WAY was that their intent. This just proves how rampant illiteracy and laziness are within our lawmaking system. They're all either too ignorant to recognize this foolish verbage as an error, or they all just vote for things willy-nilly without reading them.

I am reminded of people who attended the obamacare town hall meetings with 1000's of pages in there hands ready to ask pertanent questions about the bill of senators who themselves had no idea what was in the damn thing. Also how they were treated as a result, especially in the media.

Technically i don't think anyone on the planet who eats is totally nicotine abstinent as it is found in many other plants other than tabacco.

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com

You are in the minority as in it looks to me like about 30-40% of the folks on the forum have the same goals as you, and the rest of us support you (though of course actual useful advice would come from your fellow travelers)...but we do not believe that WE need to travel your road, nor feel guilty about following our own road.

Just like e-liquid flavors that work for you and devices that work for you are extremely individual, so is your end goal. We'll support you, but not at the price of having you tell us we have to follow your road, which is dictated by your own body and brain, which is your own and not mine.

That's why there are so MANY sub-forums and so MANY threads!

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
My happy place is 4mg level nic and I'm 73. I will vape until my heart quits beating. I am one of those who have cognitive problems and attention problems off nic. It doesn't take much to keep me in good working order.

I am happy to see the research being done on nic with respect to Alzheimers and Parkinsons and I wonder sometimes if my 55 yrs of smoking kept me from starting to have Alzheimer's symptoms. I didn't quit smoking until I was 71 and I am now two years smoke free and happy with my ecigs.

I am always willing to support anyone who quits killing themselves with cigarettes as long as they give me the same support for my own method of not smoking. If they want to be off nic, fine for them, I'll support them. I don't want to be off nic and I expect those same people to support me, not call my ecigs silly looking and get the feeling of being looked down on because I don't want to stop using nic.

I much prefer being militant in getting the right for everyone to choose, not militant in the form of trying to make anyone conform to what I like or do.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
On 3/24, Placebo Effect wrote:

CTA Updated

UPDATE (3/24/2013): Rep. David Derby, Chairman of the Oklahoma House Public Health Committee, has told CASAA that SB 802 is a bad bill and that, as written, it will not receive a hearing in the Public Health Committee. CASAA has encouraged Senate sponsor Rob Johnson and House sponsor Colby Schwartz to file a substitute bill that would ban sales to minors, but would not tax or otherwise impede the sale of vapor products.

Oklahoma residents can continue to respond to the Call to Action. Out-of-state response is no longer necessary.

You can thank Rep. Derby by e-mailing him at david.derby@okhouse.gov. He represents parts of Rogers and Tulsa.

Please note that Reynolds informed me two days ago that they are not backing off of their state legislative strategy (i.e. requiring "vapor products" to comply with many other existing state laws that were previously enacted to strictly regulate sales and purchases of cigarettes and other tobacco products via licensure). And they just introduced a bill in WV (SB 2778)

Here is Reynolds' action alert urging folks to support SB 802 in Oklahoma
Tranform Tobacco - State - Oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread