Ola X Hero 20 Watt or 30 Watt VVMod by MJ Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky4it

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Minnesota
A REVIEW: The Review will follow after the photos.

qIISzNN.jpg

From left to right Black hero, Stainless Steel Hero, Copper Hero, Pearl White Hero
EYQBxSL.jpg

LCD Screen, really good resolution, when you hit the fire button, the volts are displayed right beneath the ohms.

sMVbnS0.jpg

Thats the firing button, notice the blue color flashes when firing.

9puKBQp.jpg

Notice the beautiful finish on all the Hero's.
NJ4rQII.jpg

That ones called Copper

nWEFMQ4.jpg

I think thats the stainless steel version, I kind of get that one and the Pearl White one mixed up. I think the other ones are a little more flashy, although I don't think they sell as well. The photo really doesn't do the mod justice in this case.

And now on to the review:

Ola X Hero 20 Watt or 30 Watt VVMod by MJ Tech

The first thing that impressed me right out of the box is the hand fit. The mod fits seamlessly in your hand, with three notches for your fingers and this places your index finger squarely on the firing pin. Which is a really nice feature as opposed to most tube mods or box style mods. It also places your thumb right on the +/- button for increasing or decreasing power. Its also small and compact, making it easy to tow along in a bag. Unlike tube mods, it has a large enough base to stand on without tipping easily.

The Hero Mod by MJ Tech, does not have any ON/OFF switching method. When you put the battery in the Mod, the Mod is automatically ON. There are two circuit boards inside the handle that regulate the Hero, and when your not using the Mod, it automatically is not running. I see this as a plus. One of the most impressive features of the Hero, was that I noticed the battery consumption rate between charges was greatly increased, about 40 percent greater than my Lavatubes. That is to say, that the Hero does not use up the battery charge as fast. Why I am not sure, but I presume that some other VV mods that I have used, when ON slowly drain the battery. Whatever the case, the Hero used battery life at an optimum rate, which is great if your working and don't have time to continually be re-charging batteries. Obviously, the consumption rate is directly correlated to how high the wattage is your using, but I did notice a substantial difference between this unit and other mods I have used.

The Hero has a spring loaded screw in bottom piece, which means it probably accepts almost all (nipple and flat top) batterys readily. This is just one of the features that really sets this unit apart from at least regular mechanical Mods, and some VV Mods also. I have an old Sony battery and the top piece is dented in. The unit accepted the battery and ran it. There will be no battery rattle, where you have to adjust the derlins to get a solid fit. The Hero does this for you. The 30 Watt addition, needs I believe a high rate 15 Amp or higher continuous drain battery, so check the specifications. But button top batteries or flat top, it doesn't matter, the Hero should work with both. But if you buy the 30 Watt make sure you get the right battery. The Hero has two tiny holes on the bottom cap, for battery venting.

The Hero has a really nice LCD indicator which features a battery life indicator, displays the ohms of your tank in the display, and you adjust the Watts from 7-20, or 7-30 Watts (depending on the edition you buy) with a plus and minus button. If you want to know how many Volts your Mod is running at, no problem, just push the firing button down and right below the Ohm meter the Volts are displayed, the circuit boards must be calculating and displaying the output voltage for you. You can subohm down to .6 ohm on the 20 Watt addition, and down to .3 ohm on the 30 Watt addition according to the users manual. The firing button is rectangular, and flashes blue when firing. The display is a really light blue or pastel darker white, and it is attractive. Also, the machining, fit of parts, and overall appearance is excellent.

The performance was outstanding. When pushing the firing button the power is instantaneous, precisely like I like. Its no slow poke, you hit the firing button and the power is there as quick as any mod that Ive tried. Firing power or quick flash point is important, and I did notice I was getting a little extra life out of my cotton wicks, with gunk build up happening at a slightly lower rate. I seemed to get an extra day out of my cotton wicks. The Hero also comes with two extra derlin pins, which screw into the the top of the Hero. You can screw the derlin pin up or down to adjust it to your atomizer. The display is top notch also. When I looked inside the handle, the display is covered by clear probably poly carbonate?, and outside display window is really thick clear poly carbonate?, so it looks like its going to last. (None of that really thin poly material that wears bad like on some units.) You can also increase or decrease your power with your thumb because +/- buttons are right there when you use the handle grip. When you push the Watt increase button, the Watts just move up real fast, like you MPH indicator on your car when you hit the accelerator. Its real quick which is nice. The Hero also comes with a USB port charging plug and a 510 Ego adapter. It comes with an instruction manual, and one of those little tiny phillips screw drivers were all accustomed too.

If you run coils that have ohms of 1.0 ohm or more, all you really need is the 20 Watt edition. For instance, a 1.3 ohm coil running at 20 Watts gives you 5.0 Volts, more then enough power. A 1.0 ohm coil running at 20 Watts is still 4.4 Volts, all the power you need. But if your planning on subohming way beneath that, you might want to spring for the 30 Watt edition. They are only a few bucks more, the difference in price is negligible.

About the only thing I didn't like about the unit were two things. One, its a really heavy unit. It weighs a lot. Its weight feels about like a copper mod. I dropped the unit one time and it landed on concrete. There were a couple of scratches on the back afterward but it works fine, which is good news; because it seems real durable. The second is there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust your tank perfectly level to the top of the mod with no space left over, if your atomizer has a too long of a screw threads which go into the Hero. I have some Kayfuns which could get close to a perfect fit, but when I screw the derlin in all the way tight, there still was a little space between the atomizer and the mod, about the size of a finger nail. No big deal but still not perfect. There did seem to be a little difference from Hero to Hero in this respect, but it might of been a different tank with a shorter shaft. Some of the tanks I tried fit just perfect on different Hero's. It might just be I have a few tanks with really too long of shafts. But like I said, its really not much of a big deal, hardly noticeable unless your looking for it. I suppose it's only important if you want to enter your mod and tank into a beauty contest. I tried removing the top cap to make an adjustment, but I couldn't get it off. There are two screws on the top cap, but I think they are factory installed and real tight, and they will strip real easily.

I keep wondering when some company is going to make a vv mod where you can replace the firing springs on the firing button. Of course, when the springs wear out the mod is shot. The Hero has no such capacity either.

All in all,- I think its a great vv mod, especially for those who don't need all the power. I personally don't need enough Watts to run a light bulb. It's hand fit is probably the best you can find. After vaping for over 3 years, I can honestly say its easier on battery consumption of power then any mod (VV or regular mods) that I have found. The power is also perfect in terms of getting power to your coil instantaneously. The other thing is that it is a really inexpensive VV mod, in comparison to other VV mods. Its on the lower end as far as price point, and I thought an outstanding value for the bucks. The Hero is also a real attractive mod too, it doesn't have that boxy look, and the parts fit together seamlessly.

Again, the unit comes in four different colors. Pearl White (which is not really white but brushed steel), black, stainless steel and golden copper.

All in all, I would give it two thumbs up, or 9.5 out of 10. The performance, looks, hand fit, price, fit with RBA and durability (although I havent owned it for a long time.) seem to make it an oustanding VV mod.

Performance 10/10
Looks 10/10
Price 10/10
hand fit 10/10
durability Unknown
fit w/RTA 7.5/10
Intangibles 9.5/10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread