Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
I used to joke "not me! Doesn't bother me a bit!." Now that I am older (older, not old ) I know what folks were talking about.

Sent with no malice and not a whole lot of forethought from my new Galaxy Tab 4. Thanks Santa!

And, caffeine is a diuretic. I don't need any more reasons to awaken half a dozen times every night!

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
We watch these commercials about different drugs (FDA approved!) And the possible side effects and say "yea, I want to take that one. NOT!" I think some Drs push the meds to get kickbacks or something. If it is not essential I am not taking it.

Sure seems like docs must be getting kickbacks, but on the other hand, I've known people who go to the doctors and when no meds are prescribed they think the doc is useless. Years ago, when I worked for a GP, I remember him giving one patient Ecotrin which is nothing more than coated aspirin. The patient wanted meds to cure their problem which would have cleared up on it's own given some time, but that wasn't good enough. The patient was satisfied, the problem cleared up and everybody was happy. Go figure.

I have a huge gripe with the dangerous FDA approved drugs advertised and the lawyers right behind them advertising to sue for using those approved drugs especially in light of the FDA being so suspicious of vaping. But there can't be any financial influence with the FDA though. After all, they exist to protect us. Ever actually read the warnings that come with the meds?

Changing the time of day you take meds can make a difference. I take a thyroid medication that needs to be taken on an empty stomach so most people take it first thing in the morning. Always hated taking it then because I couldn't have my coffee since I take cream in it. One day I heard a doc on TV talking about taking that med at night because "they" found it to be more effective. So, we started eating dinner closer to 7 p.m. (so we'd be less inclined to snack before bed) and I take the medication before bed. Funny thing, my blood work showed I needed a much lower dosage ever since! Might not work that way for everybody though.

Hey, if you've got a problem sleeping at night, maybe you don't need meds, maybe you're just living in the wrong place. Maybe you need to go visit with Wolf!! Road Trip!!!

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
My
Sure seems like docs must be getting kickbacks, but on the other hand, I've known people who go to the doctors and when no meds are prescribed they think the doc is useless. Years ago, when I worked for a GP, I remember him giving one patient Ecotrin which is nothing more than coated aspirin. The patient wanted meds to cure their problem which would have cleared up on it's own given some time, but that wasn't good enough. The patient was satisfied, the problem cleared up and everybody was happy. Go figure.

I have a huge gripe with the dangerous FDA approved drugs advertised and the lawyers right behind them advertising to sue for using those approved drugs especially in light of the FDA being so suspicious of vaping. But there can't be any financial influence with the FDA though. After all, they exist to protect us. Ever actually read the warnings that come with the meds?

Changing the time of day you take meds can make a difference. I take a thyroid medication that needs to be taken on an empty stomach so most people take it first thing in the morning. Always hated taking it then because I couldn't have my coffee since I take cream in it. One day I heard a doc on TV talking about taking that med at night because "they" found it to be more effective. So, we started eating dinner closer to 7 p.m. (so we'd be less inclined to snack before bed) and I take the medication before bed. Funny thing, my blood work showed I needed a much lower dosage ever since! Might not work that way for everybody though.

Hey, if you've got a problem sleeping at night, maybe you don't need meds, maybe you're just living in the wrong place. Maybe you need to go visit with Wolf!! Road Trip!!!

I'm with you on the road trip. Always wanted to visit Australia. When I was very little the Australian government was offering paid expenses and a land grant for certain professions to come "down under" and set up business. My dad (an architect) was one of them and looked into it a bit. They wanted him but, when he got all the facts my mother put the kibosh on it. She wasn't going to rough it in any way, shape, or form. Oh well, I could have been an Aussie.
As far as the drug commercials, I always thought it was nuts. More side effects than benefits. The funniest thing was just the other night when I saw an ad for a drug followed immediately by an ad for an attorney suing on behalf of people for the exact same drug. You'd a thought that the network would have separated them a little anyway.

Sent with no malice and not a whole lot of forethought from my new Galaxy Tab 4. Thanks Santa!

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
The funniest thing was just the other night when I say an ad for a drug followed immediately by an add for an attorney suing on behalf of people for the exact same drug. You'd a thought that the network would have separated them a little anyway.
The law firm probably paid a premium for the timing. I have been reading Grisham lately, and he seems to believe that that specialty is notoriously corrupt.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

Always.

Some years back my doc wanted to change my BP med. Possible side effect of the new one? Congestive heart failure. Sorry, doc, not taking it! Especially since my BP was just marginally high!!

And so many of them list as side effects the symptom they're supposed to cure... what?? Take this anti-histamine for runny nose, may cause nasal congestion.....

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Ummm. Read the release for chemo :). Basically comes down to, "These drugs may save your life. Or they may kill you. Either way, you will get very sick while you are trying to process the poison." It's hard to know the right answer, sometimes. I think it is a good thing that all known side effects are now disclosed; as we all know, that hasn't been the case for all that long. And I know that some of the side effects of many drugs are frightening. But, there's a risk/reward equation. I might, for example, rather be alive and have side effects. What really irks me, tho, is when people read the disclosure, say they understand, experience side effects, and then believe they should be compensated for it. Really? Really? (Now off soapbox!)

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
The law firm probably paid a premium for the timing. I have been reading Grisham lately, and he seems to believe that that specialty is notoriously corrupt.

There's a book called "King of Torts" by Grisham that I think should be a "must read." Highly recommended if you want to know how mass torts work. For those that might not know, Mass torts are those huge class action lawsuits we seem to see all the time. Yeh, the ones that they run commercials for on TV.

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
There's a book called "King of Torts" by Grisham that I think should be a "must read." Highly recommended if you want to know how mass torts work. For those that might not know, Mass torts are those huge class action lawsuits we seem to see all the time. Yeh, the ones that they run commercials for on TV.

Yup. Read it. Worth reading. I'm intrigued by the British system, wherein (I think) the plaintiff has to pay all costs if s/he loses. Should reduce the number of frivolous lawsuits. I'd also like to see damages caps, though I'm a bit concerned that lobbyists might have undue influence in establishing them ...

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Good Morning everyone. Took a little reading to catch up as usual most of you guys are in different time zones. I have to Flash my Bios today on laptop #2 the one I am using right now. I will have to do that upstairs where my other one is and my printer. It almost sounds dirty doesn't it. But I keep getting a message internal battery is low. Boy how does the computer know my internal battery is low. Any way I googled it and I have to Flash my Bios. Hopefully noone will be watching.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Good Morning everyone. Took a little reading to catch up as usual most of you guys are in different time zones. I have to Flash my Bios today on laptop #2 the one I am using right now. I will have to do that upstairs where my other one is and my printer. It almost sounds dirty doesn't it. But I keep getting a message internal battery is low. Boy how does the computer know my internal battery is low. Any way I googled it and I have to Flash my Bios. Hopefully noone will be watching.

You know it does have an internal battery. It powers the ability for the bios to retain its settings. It may also be actually low. It normally is one of those "button" batteries, lithium ion and is under constant drain. Very small drain but, never the less, it does run down over time. I believe the motherboard does charge it when the laptop is powered on but, as you well know those lithium ion cells only have a certain number of charge/discharge cycles in em.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Yep thats what I figured that's what keeps the time right when you have your computer turned off. I upgraded this computer to Windows 7 about 2 years ago and it says that is the first thhing to do is make sure you have the latest Bios then maybe have to take it in and have the battery changed. I think the external battery is about TU too.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Yep thats what I figured that's what keeps the time right when you have your computer turned off. I upgraded this computer to Windows 7 about 2 years ago and it says that is the first thhing to do is make sure you have the latest Bios then maybe have to take it in and have the battery changed. I think the external battery is about TU too.

You can buy those external batteries on Amazon and other places a lot cheaper than from your neighborhood repair dude or the Geek Squad weenies.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL

Bring it over and I'll change the internal battery for you.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Ummm. Read the release for chemo :). Basically comes down to, "These drugs may save your life. Or they may kill you. Either way, you will get very sick while you are trying to process the poison." It's hard to know the right answer, sometimes. I think it is a good thing that all known side effects are now disclosed; as we all know, that hasn't been the case for all that long. And I know that some of the side effects of many drugs are frightening. But, there's a risk/reward equation. I might, for example, rather be alive and have side effects. What really irks me, tho, is when people read the disclosure, say they understand, experience side effects, and then believe they should be compensated for it. Really? Really? (Now off soapbox!)

Fortunately, da ol' days of 'shotgun cancer chemo cocktails' are waning. Cancer cell ID methods have come a long way, which in turn enables proper, minimal and, hopefully, effective treatments.

It took four lab tries before Patty had her c-cells ID'd (oligodendroglioma). She took a Temodar (brain cancer drug) pill five times a week for a year with no perceivable side effects. Her radiation sessions did cause a permanent bald spot. Small 'price' to pay in light of her original 6-12 month prognosis near eight years ago!

OK, I'm startin' to ramble... just wanted to 'inject' some positive vibes...

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Your right I should leave the darn tablet downstairs when I go to bed. It does provide a distraction to the actual task at hand. You know I have gotten to the point where I feel naked without either the phone or my tablet. Doree got me the tablet for Christmas because the phone was too small and ruining my eyesight. Most of the time I'm either here or putzing around the Web shopping or reading the news. I'm on ECF a lot though. Haven't been able to move much the last couple of weeks because my knees have been giving me terrible trouble and it does provide excellent companionship.

I'm exactly the same way, Matt! I can adjust the font on my phone, (G Note 2), so I don't have problems reading on it. I even have Kindle for Android installed on it so I can read books on it. I get books free from Bookbub & Freebooksy. The books all come from Amazon, you can search there from free books & voila! I have plenty of free reading material!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Well I seemed to of got a good solid 45 minutes and now, I'm drinking coffee and back where I left off. My hubs and son, go to sleep as soon as their head hits the pillow. What a great thing that is. Glad I was not disturbing you. Scared me for a minute. I would hate to do that to anyone here.

Got a hot cup of coffee and then I will try to go back to sleep I guess. Sometimes coffee helps me sleep. Go figure, I have got to be the strangest one on the porch. But that's okay. I'm use to it.
It's not just you, Rat. I can drink a whole pot, & then take a nap! I get a nap in every afternoon. Even if I don't actually sleep, but just doze. My joints need the relaxing effect. But I have to do it early afternoon or i'll be up all night. As it is, I'm usually awake, reading or watching tv till about midnight. But then I don't wake up till 8 or 9. I could just do everything earlier, I guess, but the onlt reason I sleep at night at all is because of the meds I take at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread