Older Folks and Vaping Back Porch - Part Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I've been having a seriously nice summer so far... it started two or three days ago, didn't it? I missed seeing the announcements on the TV, or on Google, that accompany each solstice and equinox. I'm sure there must have been such announcements for the beginning of Summer 2017 but I obviously wasn't paying attention.

A few days ago my central heat and air went out. "A few", in this case, means 160, because it was the middle of January when it stopped working. Do I know the ins and outs of my system?... no, but I know the fan that pushes the air was what stopped working. The thing I didn't know was whether there is more than one fan. An intensive 2-minute examination of the system, which is a heat pump system, took me less than 3 months to complete. I came to the possibly correct conclusion that the fan in the outdoor unit of the system is the one and only fan.

Whenever I attempt to turn on the heat, the a/c or "fan only" with the switches on the thermostat, there is a buzz like the fan wants to start, but it doesn't. Meanwhile, I got through the cold months with a couple of electric portable heaters. I got the first one from Lowes and the second one from major river in South America called Amazon.

It was definitely better to not use the central heat anyway, because there was a critter or critters wintering under my floor. Squirrels or a cat, I think. I thought it or they had actually chewed into the heating ducts, because I would hear them clawing, running, and scratching very loudly right next to the floor vents, and almost every night I was sure I'd catch sight of the intruder by peering down through the louvered vent grate openings in the bathroom, bedroom and living room. Now, though, since I've never spotted the varmint, I'm thinking it made entry holes in the plastic sheathing and is living in the nice, thick fluffy insulation.

End of Installment One... writing is hard! Installment Two will be here after I'm sufficiently rejuvenated. :thumb:

There are probably 2 fans, 1 for the outdoor condenser unit and one for the furnace/ air handler. Does the outdoor fan just hum?, if so take a stick and turn it in the direction that would blow air upwards out of the unit and see if it will start up (Thermostat needs to be on Cool and Fan on Auto for this). If it does start up then you may just need a $30 fan "run" capacitor.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I've been having a seriously nice summer so far... it started two or three days ago, didn't it? I missed seeing the announcements on the TV, or on Google, that accompany each solstice and equinox. I'm sure there must have been such announcements for the beginning of Summer 2017 but I obviously wasn't paying attention.

A few days ago my central heat and air went out. "A few", in this case, means 160, because it was the middle of January when it stopped working. Do I know the ins and outs of my system?... no, but I know the fan that pushes the air was what stopped working. The thing I didn't know was whether there is more than one fan. An intensive 2-minute examination of the system, which is a heat pump system, took me less than 3 months to complete. I came to the possibly correct conclusion that the fan in the outdoor unit of the system is the one and only fan.

Whenever I attempt to turn on the heat, the a/c or "fan only" with the switches on the thermostat, there is a buzz like the fan wants to start, but it doesn't. Meanwhile, I got through the cold months with a couple of electric portable heaters. I got the first one from Lowes and the second one from major river in South America called Amazon.

It was definitely better to not use the central heat anyway, because there was a critter or critters wintering under my floor. Squirrels or a cat, I think. I thought it or they had actually chewed into the heating ducts, because I would hear them clawing, running, and scratching very loudly right next to the floor vents, and almost every night I was sure I'd catch sight of the intruder by peering down through the louvered vent grate openings in the bathroom, bedroom and living room. Now, though, since I've never spotted the varmint, I'm thinking it made entry holes in the plastic sheathing and is living in the nice, thick fluffy insulation.

End of Installment One... writing is hard! Installment Two will be here after I'm sufficiently rejuvenated. :thumb:
That thing is going to bring it's friends & trash the entire insulation barrier under your home. Prepare for higher electric bills & lots of cold. Plus theyvll get in the wwlls & gain entry to the house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Ummm, have you considered calling someone to come and actually fix it?
Wait for Installment Two and don't interrupt.. there's a story in progress. :thumbs:I'm feeling halfway energetic today and want to expend that energy working on stuff. By the time I get back to telling the story, there may be additional installments beyond Installment Two.

There are probably 2 fans, 1 for the outdoor condenser unit and one for the furnace/ air handler. Does the outdoor fan just hum?, if so take a stick and turn it in the direction that would blow air upwards out of the unit and see if it will start up (Thermostat needs to be on Cool and Fan on Auto for this). If it does start up then you may just need a $30 fan "run" capacitor.
I sure can't find a second fan in the indoor parts, but then again, I haven't seen where the "auxiliary heat" electric heating strips are either, even though I know they're in the system somewhere.

That thing is going to bring it's friends & trash the entire insulation barrier under your home. Prepare for higher electric bills & lots of cold. Plus theyvll get in the wwlls & gain entry to the house.
I told the hardware store not to let them make duplicates of my house keys.

I stopped Installment One without getting even halfway through telling y'all about planned actions, steps already taken, and known challenges that I haven't even mentioned yet.

Have a great day everybunny!

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Teaser for Installment Two, showing the reason I'm able to have some energy:

5000BTU.jpg

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Wait for Installment Two and don't interrupt.. there's a story in progress. :thumbs:I'm feeling halfway energetic today and want to expend that energy working on stuff. By the time I get back to telling the story, there may be additional installments beyond Installment Two.

I sure can't find a second fan in the indoor parts, but then again, I haven't seen where the "auxiliary heat" electric heating strips are either, even though I know they're in the system somewhere.

I told the hardware store not to let them make duplicates of my house keys.

I stopped Installment One without getting even halfway through telling y'all about planned actions, steps already taken, and known challenges that I haven't even mentioned yet.

Have a great day everybunny!
So this is a cliffhanger?

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
Well I'm still kicking inspite of the VA. All I have this week is a Pulmonary Function test and a Social Worker to prepare me for the Urn I guess.

OMW Pat!!!! "Prepare me for the urn"...... Your sense of humor cannot be beat by ANYONE !!!

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Well I'm still kicking inspite of the VA. All I have this week is a Pulmonary Function test and a Social Worker to prepare me for the Urn I guess.
Social worker. Ugh. The insurance wanted to send a 'social worker' to my home after my 2nd & 3rd surgeries to make sure my home was safe for me, & that I wasn't depressed or being abused. Oh, & were my guns stored safely. I politely (for me) declined & told them I was not interested in government mandated Nosy Parkers inspecting my residence or family associations, that if I had a problem I could call the police, & get with my Drs without the opinion of the government directed insurance company. So su, pay the bills, & myob. TY.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
OMW Pat!!!! "Prepare me for the urn"...... Your sense of humor cannot be beat by ANYONE !!!
Yeah I'm trying to keep one, although this whole thing has me scared. They don't seem to realize I am a high risk for any surgery and even if they provided me with a Magic Carpet and a room at the 4 Seasons I'm still going to get a second opinion and see. They haven't even done the PET yet so I'm hoping to escape like Mike did. They are going on the word of a VA radiologist and my VA PCP which reminds me of that lady doc that came to replace Doc Martin on the series who didn't know you know what from a hole in the ground.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
So this is a cliffhanger?

Tune in here next time for Chapter II of Dave's saga, 'Fire, Ice and Vape'!

@MattB101 When they remove nodules from your lungs do they do it Laproscopically or do they have to crack your chest?

Not Matt, but a buddy of mine had his removed Laproscopically. Three small incisions and den no nodule, wid rapid healing!

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
They are going on the word of a VA radiologist and my VA PCP which reminds me of that lady doc that came to replace Doc Martin on the series who didn't know you know what from a hole in the ground.
Ya. The biggest problem is that you either get one of the very best, or one of the very worst doctors. If they are one of the best, their beside manner would make House look like an angle. I can overlook arrogance as long as they tell me in words I can understand. I have difficulties with people like Dr Diana too. :D

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    reminds me of that lady doc that came to replace Doc Martin on the series

Doc Martin fan here. Only got to watch a couple dozen shows on PBS. Never heard of the lady doc.

It's an old show. Are all the seasons available somewhere?

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    Three small incisions and den no nodule, wid rapid healing!
    Thats great! I will definately be looking into that if the 2nd opinion is the same as the VA. But that's putting the cart before the horse, Just have to wait to see what they say and that won't be till probably a few days after the scan on July 5th. Then I'll go from there. A lot of things to be considered for me, I'm not the regular sugery candidate. I'm just hoping and praying it comes back negative.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    Doc Martin fan here. Only got to watch a couple dozen shows on PBS. Never heard of the lady doc.

If anywhere I would guess Kodi but I think I watched them on Netflix or Amazon. Might not be there anymore tho.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Florida

you can get the whole series on KODI, Netflicks, and Amazon video

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread