Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
I am new, but old (70), so it is nice to see this part of the forum where there are other folks like me. I have smoked since I was about 17, with pauses here and there, but always went back to the"dark side." When I started smoking (Kents!), cigarettes were 25 cents a pack. Of course I was living on an allowance from my parents (and sneak smoking) so I guess that was expensive then, too. I remember when everyone smoked, just like in Mad Men. I worked at Westinghouse for a few years and every cubicle came with an ashtray and the ashtrays on each floor were coordinated with the walls/carpeting of that floor. There was always a haze in the air. I have been REALLY lucky in that I have no health issues, although I will say that every time I go to the doctor for anything they say it would go away if only I stopped smoking. I really decided to quit "for real" and try vaping because since I retired (a) I find myself smoking 2 packs a day and (b) that fixed income thing doesn't work so well with cigarettes being $6.73/pack at the local Walmart. So for the last 15 days I have vaped and I have no desire whatsoever for a cigarette. Hoping it stays that way because I have a houseful of dogs who need vet care and grooming and not smoking should pay for most of that. Glad to have found this group and for sure will read the previous iteration of posts. Thanks for being here.

Well hey-hey-hey, welcome and congratulations!!!!!!!

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
I'm getting a wee bit frustrated here (and as any of you men know, when a woman starts a conversation that way, it's more than a "wee bit" lol lol lol).... Every tank/clearo/whatever I own becomes clogged after about a half day to 3/4 of a day of use. Since I have different styles, it has to be something I'm doing otherwise it's just too much of a coincidence. They start getting harder and harder to vape, and then the "crackle" sounds like it's coming from underwater. Do I have the bottoms on too tight/ too lose? my dog is chewing them when I'm sleeping? the Fae have moved in and are playing tricks on me? I can't bloody figure this out - it's like I'm vaping from the bottom of a swimming pool

:glug:

Bolivar

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Surrounded by cows and wheat
I am new, but old (70), so it is nice to see this part of the forum where there are other folks like me. I have smoked since I was about 17, with pauses here and there, but always went back to the"dark side." When I started smoking (Kents!), cigarettes were 25 cents a pack. Of course I was living on an allowance from my parents (and sneak smoking) so I guess that was expensive then, too. I remember when everyone smoked, just like in Mad Men. I worked at Westinghouse for a few years and every cubicle came with an ashtray and the ashtrays on each floor were coordinated with the walls/carpeting of that floor. There was always a haze in the air. I have been REALLY lucky in that I have no health issues, although I will say that every time I go to the doctor for anything they say it would go away if only I stopped smoking. I really decided to quit "for real" and try vaping because since I retired (a) I find myself smoking 2 packs a day and (b) that fixed income thing doesn't work so well with cigarettes being $6.73/pack at the local Walmart. So for the last 15 days I have vaped and I have no desire whatsoever for a cigarette. Hoping it stays that way because I have a houseful of dogs who need vet care and grooming and not smoking should pay for most of that. Glad to have found this group and for sure will read the previous iteration of posts. Thanks for being here.

Welcome cbrite. Nice to have you on board.

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
Same juice in all of them ?

No, different flavours in each one.... I think that somehow I must be flooding the coils, but not sure how as they're all different styles - ce4, Protank II Mini, Protank II, Protank Unitank, Ts3, and even a nano.... Maybe they're not getting air and I'm suffocating them. Maybe I've annoyed the gods and this is their revenge, lol....

Last edited:

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
Here is a Twilight Zone moment Something strange about him though ... had to take a better look. I nearly came apart in my mind.
It was my own reflection in the window across the aisle Anyone have anything like that happen to them?

Yesss, and it is a "mind blower"
We all have a mental image of ourselves, and how we see things in general
When we look into the mirror we see what we want and expect to see .. not what's really there.

I've done it just walking down the street.
All of a sudden I round a corner, and see myself in a store window (big clue here) when I didn't expect it
Needless to say .. Caught off guard, I didn't like what I saw.
So much for the mental image. It says a lot about how we "fool" ourselfs about things in life.
I just stood there looking at myself like I had never seen myself before.
I now knew how other people saw me.
Quite an enlightening experience

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
I am new, but old (70), so it is nice to see this part of the forum where there are other folks like me.

That pretty well discribes most of us.
New of mind, old of body, but most important, still bettering ourselves, and "hanging in there"
Welcome to the porch, and we hope you stay.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
I'm getting a wee bit frustrated here (and as any of you men know, when a woman starts a conversation that way, it's more than a "wee bit" lol lol lol).... Every tank/clearo/whatever I own becomes clogged after about a half day to 3/4 of a day of use. Since I have different styles, it has to be something I'm doing otherwise it's just too much of a coincidence. They start getting harder and harder to vape, and then the "crackle" sounds like it's coming from underwater. Do I have the bottoms on too tight/ too lose? my dog is chewing them when I'm sleeping? the Fae have moved in and are playing tricks on me? I can't bloody figure this out - it's like I'm vaping from the bottom of a swimming pool

:glug:

No, different flavours in each one.... I think that somehow I must be flooding the coils, but not sure how as they're all different styles - ce4, Protank II Mini, Protank II, Protank Unitank, Ts3, and even a nano.... Maybe they're not getting air and I'm suffocating them. Maybe I've annoyed the gods and this is their revenge, lol....
Few questions... Can you tell I'm a techie?

1. Do you use darker juices?
2. Add sweetener?
3. What is your PG/VG ratio?
4. Bottom coil or top?
5. Flavors?

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
I am new, but old (70), so it is nice to see this part of the forum where there are other folks like me.

Thanks for being here.

First off, dere is nuttin' more significant for our vaping community than an ol' n00bie... or is dat a new oldie? What ever... nonetheless, thank you fer bein' here!

Yep, know what you mean.

Gotta luv da sharing of our common 'war stories'. Hopefully our individual battles are all won/one! BUT, da war ain't over...

A huge warm welcome to ALL our ol' n00bs... or is dat new oldies?
bad-idea.gif

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Maybe I've annoyed the gods and this is their revenge, lol....

Thus far, I'm not holdin' anything 'gainst ya...

Seriously, I do agree wid ya dat all dose devices can't be 'bad'. Da more info ya provide, better da chances we can resolve you issues.

BTW, where ya located in da Sunshine State? If you're nearby (Tampa Bay area), I might could give an assist. It can be tuff to troubleshoot via da web.

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
Few questions... Can you tell I'm a techie?

1. Do you use darker juices?
2. Add sweetener?
3. What is your PG/VG ratio?
4. Bottom coil or top?
5. Flavors?

Iffy & Ken A. ... Hey - thank you, lol. Some of the juices are darker, but others are light. I don't add anything. 50/50 PV VG, bottom coil except for the ce4, flavours - Deep Thought (pipe tobacco and vanilla), Hawaiian Delight, Homewrecker (bad name but it tastes good, lol), Frosty Strawberry, Blue Honey, French Vanilla Butternut, I think that's all I have going right now. The only one I haven't had to empty and clean and re-load and re-coil so far is the Homewrecker in the Ts3 (but the Hawaiian Delight in another Ts3 I had to reload and recoil).... I am being very careful to keep them all upright and not lay them on their sides. Stick Q-tips in their nether regions every time I re-fill. Nothing lasts more than one day (granted I do chain-vape)... Iffy , I'm in Broward County...

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA

Hi and welcome to the porch. Always room for another person to join the group. How nice you are getting off to a fine start and putting the smokes behind you. It only gets better from here. If you feel comfortable with DIYing your own juice, it can really reduce the cost of vaping. Thankfully my wife took to DIY for our juice and not only is it much cheaper, it eliminates having to order and re-order juice from the vendors and no worrying about running out.

I wish I had done that.

I've been vaping for about 6 months. I "jumped into" this thread around post #18,000 and just read from there on.

Now...thanx to the initial posts C/P'd by MikeE3...I see that at the beginning there were many recommendations to try cartotanks.

Had I read them I could have saved 5 months of time and $'s searching for the "next, best" clearo only to, one month ago, finally try my first cartotank. (And I've never looked back!!!)

he, he ... way back then carto tanks were the new 'next best thing' and even a basic tank was pricey. We were making our own from cut down syringe tubes and rubber grommets bought at Home Depot. Where's Jewel's, I think she even ran a co-op or two for 'tank parts'.

Iffy & Ken A. ... Hey - thank you, lol. Some of the juices are darker, but others are light. I don't add anything. 50/50 PV VG, bottom coil except for the ce4, flavours - Deep Thought (pipe tobacco and vanilla), Hawaiian Delight, Homewrecker (bad name but it tastes good, lol), Frosty Strawberry, Blue Honey, French Vanilla Butternut, I think that's all I have going right now. The only one I haven't had to empty and clean and re-load and re-coil so far is the Homewrecker in the Ts3 (but the Hawaiian Delight in another Ts3 I had to reload and recoil).... I am being very careful to keep them all upright and not lay them on their sides. Stick Q-tips in their nether regions every time I re-fill. Nothing lasts more than one day (granted I do chain-vape)... Iffy , I'm in Broward County...

Dark juices and sweet juices can clog carto's pretty fast, I guess that could be true for clearo's too. But even if you're vaping dark sweet juices you should get more than 1/2 day before running into issues.

Are the coil/wicks you're using DIY of factory. I was thinking if they're DIY, you might not have the wick correct - either too much or not enough.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Great job Mike! Love the new name!

Thank you Caridwen and EveryOne else that complimented me on the new porch. It was really Iffy's suggestion naming the new threads, I just hung the sign out. Glad everyone came over to the new porch and even happier to see so many new folks pulling up a rocker and enjoying the porch.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
given your answers... I would guess you use a variable device?

They tend to caramelize juices quickly at too high a setting.
You may also need to only use ONE flavor wick in the devices given the 50/50 ratio (I use the same)
Or you COULD be coiling too tight/loose, which restricts juice flow to the center of the coil which causes it to leave residue. Or, if too loose, does not give proper contact.

Last edited:

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
I use store-bought coils from ebay... I think I'm just doing something weird and haven't realized it yet. Will have to wait for that epiphany moment, then I will be like "oh duh" lol.... in the interim I'll go lie down and listen to the rain.... waiting for vape-mail that's on a truck stuck in the ice between Florida and someplace where it's had unusually heavy snow, lol... stay safe and out of the cold everyone...

P.S. - Totally screwed up the Unitank. Forgot it was top-fill (it looked like the pro II and I didn't realize it was the Uni) and I tried to fill it from the bottom. Got juice all over the counter, all over the Q-tips (several of which are now stuck to the dog), totally gargled up the coil.... had a piece of blueberry pie and is definitely time to call it a night before I break anything else, lol...

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I use store-bought coils from ebay... I think I'm just doing something weird and haven't realized it yet. Will have to wait for that epiphany moment, then I will be like "oh duh" lol.... in the interim I'll go lie down and listen to the rain.... waiting for vape-mail that's on a truck stuck in the ice between Florida and someplace where it's had unusually heavy snow, lol... stay safe and out of the cold everyone...

P.S. - Totally screwed up the Unitank. Forgot it was top-fill (it looked like the pro II and I didn't realize it was the Uni) and I tried to fill it from the bottom. Got juice all over the counter, all over the Q-tips (several of which are now stuck to the dog), totally gargled up the coil.... had a piece of blueberry pie and is definitely time to call it a night before I break anything else, lol...

I expect the dog is bouncing off the walls now from being over-nicced :)

Maybe you're just drawing too hard, now that you're holding them the right way :)

Too forceful a draw will often pull juice into the chimney, giving you a burst of flavor, and then leaking down to the battery.

Since you say it's factory coils, various juices, and both top and bottom coil toppers, that seems like it might be the only remaining "constant" in your problem.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
MMV,

I'm with Mike as to da half day issue! And dark and/or sweet joose should be good for at least a couple of days and probably quite a bit longer.

Any chance of talking us thru your procedure and what equipment your using (just select one combo)?

BTW, there should no reason to 'crank' down hard on any connections; snug should do with operative gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread