Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
I did some more playing today. This time with a Morton salt canister. What do you all think?

image.jpg

And without the equipment in it
image.jpg

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
That's good to hear, I was getting worried about that part, lol. The learning curve is costing me $$
If you DIY your own juice, you can't help but save money! I've never tried the fancier, more expensive juices. And, mine is better than most of the cheap ones.

I did some more playing today. This time with a Morton salt canister. What do you all think?

View attachment 301002

View attachment 301003
What did you use for the dividers?

MissMcVayp said:
. . . . (several of which are now stuck to the dog) . . . .
I love it!

Myrany, don't stay gone too long!!!

Hazewitch

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2014
Miami,FL

View attachment 301002

View attachment 301003

very nice!!!....makes me want to find some discarded but still useful containers and odd-ends to create something as nice as yours...thanx for the inspiration.

kariM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Lethbridge, AB, CA
Hi All, found you here on the new front porch. Really looks great Mike :) Since I am pretty much a night hawk I lurk most of the time - so by the time I catch up on any of the conversations most of you have gone to bed :ohmy:

So here is my story from 14 months ago ( and I really did read both of the older folk threads)

Hi to all the older people I have just spent the last two weeks reading all the info on the Older Folks Vaping and this wonderful thread and have learned so much from all of you. Yup - I haven't managed to get anything done around here in the last two weeks but I am so glad I found ECF and both of these great discussions.

I am 58 years young, started vaping on Oct 30th when I receive the ePuffer Colibri that I had ordered. Of course I wanted something that was just like a cigarette and it definitely met that criteria I started this pretty much as a experiment - just to see if something like an electronic cigarette could help me at least cut down on the 1 PAD + that I was smoking.

I retired two years ago - I worked in IT for Healthcare for 27 years and the stress from the last round of changes was the last straw and I packed it in. However, that and a back injury gave me way more time to smoke and I figured that I needed to do something to try and cut back.

I was amazed that it was actually pretty good and within a few days I realized that I might actually be able to quit smoking. I did make the mistake of getting to low of nicotine - so I was still smoking 3/4 cigarettes a day - but within a few days I found myself wondering why I was still smoking them Then I found ECF and started reading thru the Older Folks Vaping and learned that there was another entire world to this whole vaping thing. On Nov 19th I ordered a kit with 2 eGo Twists, it came with some Stardust clearomizers and the battery charger. I also order some 18mg nic juice, a Kanger T2, some Kanger horizontal coil cartomizers and a PCC.

By the time they arrived on Nov 22 I was down to 1 cigarette a day and once I opened the kit and started using the new Twist I didn't even have that one on Nov 22. I did find the TH to be a bit harsh and had to dial the Twist down to 3.4 and have since gotten use to it and now find 3.6 works pretty good.

I do have the challenge of being in Canada so I don't want to go thru the attempt of ordering juice from the states - but I did find a vendor that has pretty good prices on juice up here and got a bunch of 10 ml samples yesterday. So I still have lots to learn and all the fun of trying new flavors - I just hope that at some point my taste buds come back so I can actually taste them. I think that is my biggest challenge right now (other than wanting to order all the things you folks keep talking about ) I am finding that I am not really "getting" all these wonderful flavors that you all are talking about

I did also order another Twist with a 1000 battery and a Vivi Nova that came yesterday with all my new juices. I originally didn't want anything to big - but figured having the extra battery that was bigger to use at home would be ok. Not sure if it is just that the juice is from another Vendor - or if it is that the VG/PG is different (I also lowered the nic to 15mg) but I do find the juice I got yesterday to be a lot smoother with less of the harsh TH - but not much flavor. I did try the putting them in hot water and shaking - before I tried two of them, one is a Green Apple and the other a Black Honey Tobacco. So I am alternating with the RY4 that I have at 18mg from a different vendor - since I did find myself for the first time in the week since I had my last real cigarette - actually thinking about one last night

So at this point I am still really amazed that I am not smoking. I started sneaking tobacco and rolling paper from my Mom when I was ten and started smoking at 12 when I started babysitting and making some money to buy them. I only tried to quit once when I was 20 and that lasted less than a week. I love smoking and really did not have any intention of quitting - but I really do think I can do this

I hope I haven't bored you all too much. I just feel like I already know so many of you from reading thru this thread. I share so many of your memories, can laugh with you at some of the challenges we face as we get "older" at least in body. I love the music and reading all the wonderful support you all provide for each other. So I hope you are all ok if a Canuck from up north joins you.

Wow - I think I just wrote a book - so I better stop for now.

Still looks like a book to me :blush: but that's my story. Thanks to all the wonderful help from all the fine folks in this thread I am still not smoking. My two best friends that I got started vaping - have not been as successful. They continue to try vaping - but haven't been able to give up the cigarettes. So I just keep helping when they ask. My two sons that I got kits for - pretty much both still smoking.

So I am still amazed that it has worked so well for me and I keep praying some day it will work for them. I am still using my original 2 twists, the Spinner I got a year ago as well as the eVic, 2 iTaste VV (that I really love ) my little eRolls for out and about and I also have a few 350/400 mAh ego and spinners for when I just need something smaller. Still loving my Evods, T3 and Protank toppers. I did break down a order a Aspire BDC and it is getting better, but so far I am not loving it like some of the others. I guess time will tell.

I am now down to mostly 4mg nic and I do DYI most of the juice I vape - although I do occasionally buy some pre-mixed just so I can get some vape mail. With the cost of cigarettes up here (and I smoked cheap ones) I am almost at break even and that is pretty good since I have spent a lot trying out all that I read about on ECF. Still loving my Green Apple/Cranberry mix, Tiger's Blood and Raspberry/Cranberry that are my daily rotation. I only use tobacco flavors in my eRoll and try to mix something new to try every once in awhile.

Ok - so I have written another book - guess I should come out from lurking more often. So glad we still have a front porch to go to. I will be checking out the back porch too.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
What did you use for the dividers?

same container. the size of the whole thing is way too tall for Mods. So I cut it off just below the SID button and used the top part to create the divider, which is removable. I just cut a slot halfway through each piece and joined them together.
I did an offset so I could have 3 compartments for mods and a larger one to stuff a paper towel in for atomizers....
if I remove the paper towel, I think a box mod would fit in instead :)

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida

MissMcVayp

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2013
Florida
In a lot of those "testing the new tank" videos when the person tries it out they puff in, blow out the other side of mouth, puff in and blow out, etc., several times before they actually inhale. Granted that looks fine on guys, lol, but I tried doing that (took some practice) and on some of the tanks several consecutive strong and hard puffs-and-blows will clear the underwater crackling and gurgling. Many people here have referred to a "3 to 4 second inhale"... I tried to do that (and I do yoga and can easily slow down my breaths to two breaths a minute, so it isn't my lungs) but there is no way I can handle a 4 second inhale. I tried counting my "normal vape inhale/suck" and it's "one-elephant-" and that's it. So a one second suck (then the inhale after my mouth is full). Could that be clogging the tanks (and possible why I tend to chain vape, lol)?

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
OK - this one is hard to see as true with all the negative stuff going on.. so I looked it up:
HB 1461
Tennessee House Bill

Tobacco, Tobacco Products - As introduced, clarifies that policies and taxes applicable to tobacco products are not applicable to vapor products; defines "vapor product". - Amends TCA Section 4-4-121; Section 39-17-1802; Section 39-17-1603; Section 49-7-135; Section 62-38-203 and Section 67-4-1001.
:D
and now....
In a lot of those "testing the new tank" videos when the person tries it out they puff in, blow out the other side of mouth, puff in and blow out, etc., several times before they actually inhale. Granted that looks fine on guys, lol, but I tried doing that (took some practice) and on some of the tanks several consecutive strong and hard puffs-and-blows will clear the underwater crackling and gurgling. Many people here have referred to a "3 to 4 second inhale"... I tried to do that (and I do yoga and can easily slow down my breaths to two breaths a minute, so it isn't my lungs) but there is no way I can handle a 4 second inhale. I tried counting my "normal vape inhale/suck" and it's "one-elephant-" and that's it. So a one second suck (then the inhale after my mouth is full). Could that be clogging the tanks (and possible why I tend to chain vape, lol)?
They/we don't mean inhale into your LUNGS!!! ;)
take 4 seconds to draw into your MOUTH a slow, steady draw.
I personally don't do it that way, but my smoking days were with a pipe. I take a couple of short puffs, then fill my mouth and either breathe it in from there, or out through my nose. :D

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Many people here have referred to a "3 to 4 second inhale"......there is no way I can handle a 4 second inhale.... Could that be clogging the tanks (and possible why I tend to chain vape, lol)?
That certainly looks like part of the problem. And you should expect a harder draw than sucking Pepsi through a straw. I usually do at least a three second inhale. And I am experimenting with training myself to inhale one second before hitting the button, then inhale three more. I have tried a full ten second inhale, but am afraid of the burnt taste.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Maybe, MissM. That short a draw may not be getting the coil hot enough to properly vaporize, and cause faster carmelization. And lead to chain vaping, with its own issues.

Like Ken says, try a 3 - 4 second draw into the mouth before inhaling. The extra time that power is on the coil will produce a lot more vapor, and maybe also help clear the coil.

williegntx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
Central Texas
Nice job Mike! Here I am a couple days late to the party and it's nice to see all the new faces and the 'ol-timers' making the migration to the new porch. I do more lurking than posting, but certainly enjoy each visit to the porch.

Bringing my success with vaping forward...Feb 5th will mark 2 years for me. Like most here I've tried many different ways to quit the stinkies and nothing has even come close to the success I have had with Vaping...Hey, what can I say it's a 2 year long vapor trail. :lol:

Like Iffy said...I have tried too many toppers to list (another long Vapor trail ;) ) Carto's, sorry...can't go back to those, but it's true...different strokes for different folks. :D

For MissM...try firing the power before putting the tip to your lips. That one second firing method that David mentioned could be the root of the flooding issue you are experiencing. Try that and remove the extra flavor wicks in the PT's. It also sounds like you are vaping outside quite a bit...if so depending on the outside temperature the juice may be a bit thin, especially at 50/50. Most everything I'm vaping is max VG and even at that when the temp is hot here in Tx (yep, it gets a bit warm around here...sometimes) my VG floods the wick. Try some thicker juice, that may help. :vapor:

Last edited:

Hazewitch

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2014
Miami,FL
And so its Friday Night(or Saturday morning to some) where the vape is tasting great at this very moment. I wanted to post some events and odd-ends that I have experienced and/or found useful and wanted to share with the rest of you.

First I wanted to say a found farewell to my once trusty Ego-T who suddenly burst into flames last night while someone only known as “idiot” decided to play a game of Russian Roulette with single coil builds.

It was tragic and horrific watching this battery suddenly melt, yes...melt, due to a bad coil. The smell lingered for over an hour. It reminded me of the terminator movies...something to that effect.

R.I.P ole' Buddy......

The Wild Wild West Robert Conrad Method of Re-building the Single Coil Part I

And so I began last night just diving in and letting the fear release its grip in order to see what all this rebuilding atty's is all about.

First off, here's my trusty assistant, Black Feather. Just three months old and a true outlaw(found her red handed stealing some Kibbles on Halloween night). Anyway, when it comes to atty re-builds shes all thumbs so....

2480edaf-487c-4df7-bf20-d5b31a60e002.jpg

PC_20140131_140840.jpg

So here was my setup. Some wick 22mm and Kanthal wire 26g. Now, previously for the last two weeks I have watched and read every single article/youtube video about rebuilding these single coils, to the point where I was doing them in my sleep.

Here's a setup pic...

IMAGE00015_1.jpg

very simple and minimal. The process is actually quite easy , I assume, once you get the grasp of it.

I basically used my mini philips and began to play with the wrapping to get a feel. I wanted to try out a four or five coil just to see what reading I would attain.

First attempt pic......

IMAGE00017_1.jpg

this gave me a 0.1ohm output...well...obviously not good for the vamo.

Another try this time I believe I did a six wrap...0.2ohms...ummmmm

Finally, a ten wrap really tight...0.0Ohms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and thats where the tragedy began..................dont want to go into details....

In any case I still view it as a success. I am still alive thats one....my Vamo survived that’s two...plus, I actually think the issue was the gauge of wire where using a higher gauge like 34 may be the answer(as I believe I did find on another forum thread somewhere on Ecig forums). One veteran stated that you need to do a min of 10-15 wraps!!!..using that gauge....

Im not discourage but proud. Knowing that,I attempted it and can now freely move on to bigger and better things. It's that type of freedom that makes vaping so much fun.

VapeMail..................................

Waiting on the new Vamo V5 that I will use as my backup. Picked it up for a cool 52.00 including Efest batteries.

Kanthal 34 gauge 100ft for 7.00 bucks(although I found that ordering from Temco directly you get a better deal for the same amount at 5.00!!!

and lastly, an Ohm reader (don’t say a word..............)

Opinions Page....

Mech Mods!!...bottom button mechanical mods....cloned versions...real versions...where does it stop? As I vape my trusty Vamo 3 I have of late been lurking around the forum and other sites online about what the whole deal is with these so called mechanical mods.

On one thread I read about fifty posts in response to an individual who found a retailer near him selling what appeared to be an expensive named brand mod. Immediately everyone responded with “ its a clone”...”its fake man”....etc...but I will continue to testify and state unequivocally that there is no consistency in the vaping world...none....there are no true experts, there is no elusive holy grail of ejuice out there. It all comes down to just the vape and that’s its period.

If that clone works for you than great..its doing its job right?..so what if one of the cloned Russian 91% pins is slightly different than the real deal?. Its all about what your own experience and preference dictate and not the so called “veterans”.

Having said that, reviewing these “clones” for mechanical mods is quite revealing. For one, some but not all of these mechs come with a handy upper airflow adapter which is really nice. My question is..why are other mods without it?...controlling airflow is a great way to customize your vaping experience, instead of relying on the same design flaws...should be adapted for all mods.AVP's or otherwise.

But what really took my eye were the nice pricing on these mods. I found one on Fastech.com for only 13.00 and yet its a clone. Still, it looks like it would do the job it was designed for. Perhaps clones may or may not come with flaws, from the ever gazing eye of the enthusiast, but for me, clones provide a way for use budget minded vape folks to explore, and not taking heed of your bank account.

As to design they do come in a variety of styles to chose. I am looking forward to purchasing my “cloned” mech mod and enjoying the experience,why have others dictate your own desires?.

Links and more links.............

Thought I would share with our porch folks some good links to what I found to be not only useful but interesting as well.

Forum member pjmarkert has generously provided what I believe to be such a god send for those interested in learning how to re-biuld their atty's. This Kanthal calculator will provide all the necessary information in excel spreadsheet format you will need to calculate the number of wraps and gauge needed for that perfect coil....excellent job

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/506159-kanthal-coil-calculator.html

Found an interesting little Android app for us vape folks named “Vapers Tools” to determine the proper gauge and wick/coil needed to rebuild your atty. This is obviously similar to the spreadsheet but now available for your smart phone. Just installed it and works great.

Simply provide the details you have on each page.

Wire cutter – coil builder – power tools – and converter

very handy app indeed and its completely free. No malware or anything, no advertising in the background...great app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.valsoft.vaperstoolbox&hl=en

The Odds and Ends section....................

So after this evening while cleaning out the walk in closet, I found my old medieval sword which was hidden from view for over two years. It's a cheap replica which has seen better day. What struck me was the pommel. It's shaped like a mech mod!..The serpents entwining around the tube,the heavy metal(about quarter of a pound), and the tip which could be modded for a drip tip right?...ummm.....maybe.

Anyway here are some pics. Just thought you might want to see this. I just might convert it and make it a mod. Call it “ The Barbarian”...or whatever...

PC_20140201_015903.jpg

PC_20140201_015947.jpg

PC_20140201_015928.jpg

ok so time for me to go to bed and turn out the TV, Black Feather is playing with the remote...

see ya all manana......

Xavier

Last edited:

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
So sorry to here about the ego-t. BitesDust.jpg But so glad there were no injuries. i can relate though, activation button on my Sigelei 19 came untightened and popped off and i came come to soiling myself and my black cat was not impressed either. If you don't mind me asking.....what is the advantage of sub-ohms? i just started doing my own coils but I am pleased with 1.8. Just wondering what my next endeavour could be. I'm still pretty new to all this but i have learned so much from everyone here.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Glad you escaped with fingers unsinged! Liable to have better results with a thinner gauge.

Yes, an ohm reader, DVM, or mod that will check resistance without firing is a must for rebuilding. While I don't use an RBA, I do rebuild Kanger and similar heads, and check the coil before assembly and after, since things can happen when you put it back together.

Clones... well, in a sense, a Ferrari is a clone of a Ford Escort, and I wouldn't complain if they gave me one instead! But build quality may be an issue with some, not with others. Hard to see how a mech could be really messed up, but with VV/VW mods, it could be a question of the level of the electronics inside. Although even that is pretty much standardized these days.

But I disagree - there IS a holy grail of juice. It just happens to be what I like at the moment :)

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
First I wanted to say a found farewell to my once trusty Ego-T who suddenly burst into flames last night while someone only known as “idiot” decided to play a game of Russian Roulette with single coil builds.

It was tragic and horrific watching this battery suddenly melt, yes...melt, due to a bad coil. The smell lingered for over an hour. It reminded me of the terminator movies...something to that effect.

Finally, a ten wrap really tight...0.0Ohms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and thats where the tragedy began..................dont want to go into details....

Geez - Xavier, be careful out there. When messing with sub-ohms and and heavy guage kanthal like 26g, you need to make sure both your mod and batteries can handle the amp load you put on it. It might not have been a 'bad' coil, you just might have overloaded the Ego-T - they're not really meant for low ohm vaping yet alone sub-ohms. I'm assuming 0.0Ohms, was a typo, what did you finally wind up with.

So sorry to here about the ego-t. View attachment 301316 But so glad there were no injuries. i can relate though, activation button on my Sigelei 19 came untightened and popped off and i came come to soiling myself and my black cat was not impressed either. If you don't mind me asking.....what is the advantage of sub-ohms? i just started doing my own coils but I am pleased with 1.8. Just wondering what my next endeavour could be. I'm still pretty new to all this but i have learned so much from everyone here.

R2C2, the only advantage is for the cloud chasers using mech mods. It allows them to push the limits of the batt to higher and higher watts. For example, a 1.5Ω coil at 3.7volts puts out 9watts (drawing 2.5amps) and a .5Ω coil would be 27watts (drawing 7.4amps). It's that nasty 'amps' thingie' you have to be careful about to not overload the batt. Decent electronic mods - have built in protection - to not fire beyond a certain amp limit to protect 'you'. Typically that level is around 3 to 5 amps depending on the mod. Mech mods let folks push the limits as there's no 'electronics' to act as a safety valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread