Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
:blink: Okay, that's weird, your quote came up with nothing in it. No doubt when I hit post, there will be a wall of text. Sorry. [emoji38]

Edit - Kenna, your post didn't even show us at all! :(

I've heard the lichen grow like weeds there. I'd really like to witness it someday, but it rains there more than OR. Plus vaping restrictions, for the moment. :(

I know I was going to reply to a couple of comments but can't figure out which ones now. Not really your fault, been a rough day for the neighbors (and me taking care of their dogs), plus a fire exploding nearby (ain't gonna get here but still). Humble apologies. :oops:

@mattiem would love that rocker! She's quite the crochet whiz (no poo), just ask her. She's a genius! :thumbs:

From what I've heard, don't drink the stuff myself, you're a weenie. :D

So is a ProVari with a Tatroe base. Well, actually, I chased off a coyote in my nightshirt a while back screaming obscenities and throwing COPYRIGHTDMCA. The other day I chased one out waving an aluminum watering wand and screaming obscenities. At least the last time I was wearing pants. I do walk with a ProVari with Tatroe base every night and seriously consider it a weapon.

Could be both, plus the sincere desire to quit smoking. I lucked out the second time around with the right flavor, coffee, just didn't have enough nic to get over the "hump." I had to literally OD on the nic to quit. To each their own but a strong desire to quit will go a long ways, like all the way when they hit the right combo. It ain't easy for some of us but the quitter has to do the vast majority analyzing and effort. It is what scares me the most about my above post. I do know he has a strong desire to live, I just don't know if he can think clearly enough to overcome.

Ask her how much she wants to live or live without a debilitating disease. It's one thing to go it alone vs. trying as hard as you can with the support of another, or many if she chooses to join ECF.

Some people here accidentally quit, others of us struggle through a long hard battle. Personally, I don't have much sympathy for those looking for a miracle cure. I fought a war, many wars over decades trying to quit smoking. I eventually won it with minimal help from anyone, but I won it and I did find the answer (up my nic) from somewhere on the net.

Whatever you do, it's not going to taste like her cig, it's not going to hit her like a cig, she's going to have to make sacrifices to quit smoking. You can help make it happen, she has to make it happen, just like my old friend that I'm terified will die because of BT.
She'll have lots of support. She has a son, daughter, & sister who all vape. I'm the one more into the technicalities of it. The son does rebuild, but the daughter is strictly plug & play, which is where my sister will be. She has a high stress job, commutes about an hour one way in Houston traffic. When she gets home, she does the usual wifey things to unwind, & the computer gets used for netflix, pintrest. Anything to help her not think. She's a lot like I was. She's 13 years younger. She'll come to a place where it will cross her mind again, but pressuring her to quit will just turn her awau from it. She'll have to get there on her own. I want to get a couple of spiinners to stick back for her, so I can whip them out for her when that time comes! Voila!

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I think she just walked into a random b&m & asked for a tobacco juice. No telling what it tasted like. She smokes VS Ultra Lights. I grabbed a hit off of one of hers several months ago & it was just nasty. Plus there was virtually no smoke to exhale! I was like "Where's my flavor? Where's my vapor?". Having a hard time trying to make something that tastes like that! I kinda wonder if the juice she was getting didn't have too strong a flavor & not enough nic. I'll just keep thinking on it.
I couldn't get my wife to enjoy vaping until I took her to a vape expo and she tasted dozens of different juices. She ended up loving grape candy which I never expected as she generally isn't a grape fan in any way. She thought she would like tobacco flavours, but ended up hating them.

Once she found a flavour she loved, she quit smoking on the spot and has been smoke free for over 4 months. Turned it she hates creamy vanilla and I put it in almost all of my DIYs.

Not sure this is an option near you, but letting her try a bunch of different flavours might do the trick.

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Help needed for friend – Important – may save his life

This was the friend I wanted to help a while back who nearly died due to a medical condition/surgery but was assured he’d quit smoking afterwards. He didn’t. Nearly 25 years ago he came close to rubbing my nose in the fact he’d quit smoking. He didn’t. No doubt he tried with all his heart and soul; he just couldn’t escape BT just like the rest of us until trying vaping came to our attention.

He will have another surgery in, they estimate, six weeks. He admits to smoking 2-3 cigarettes a day so let’s double that. The surgeon told him he will not operate unless he quits smoking. The plain truth is he can’t. I get that, I desperately wanted to quit for over 40 years.

The problem is simple, I need to make some juice for him but don’t know at what nic level to make it. We have six weeks to wean him down to 3mg, the amount @Baditude has said is negligible for surgery. Please correct me if I am wrong Baditude. We can deal with MOIAs or WTAs or whatever if he survives the surgery.

All I have to make juice right now is TFA blackberry. I know he likes blackberry since 20 of my quail have abandoned my patch lately and moved into his across the street, no joke.

What I really need to know is what % of nic and flavoring to start him off on. I used to use 20% flavoring, now use 1-3 drops per 30ml. The nic will have to be reduced dramatically in a short period of time. I want him to live for his wife, children and granddaughter, if nothing else. What’s the best way to help him?

I apologize for this coming off as so melodramatic, it's not by any stretch of the imagination. :cry:

{{{{{{{{{{Tutu}}}}}}}}}}
For starters, what device is he going to be using? That would make a difference in the starting nic level. If it is possible to start him out with a device that allows for lower resistance (between 0.5-1.0Ω), that would allow your starting nic level to be lower than if you were using a Nauty or something similar. Personally, I'd start him out with one of the newer devices that uses 0.5Ω plug and play coils. That should allow you to start the nic level somewhere around 6-10 mg/mL. As for flavoring, unflavored may not be bad for him, but if you want to go with the blackberry, try it at around 15% with a little sweetener added (1-2%).

I truly hope that you can come up with something that will help him, and we're here if you need anything at all. I'm sure that, if need be, one of us can find a mod kit or something to PIF, and we can send flavorings or anything else you might need, also. Just let us know. :):wub:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I've heard the lichen grow like weeds there. I'd really like to witness it someday, but it rains there more than OR. Plus vaping restrictions, for the moment.

Actually, Portland OR gets more rain than Seattle... so unless you actually go out on the peninsula to the rain forest :)

All the above are good suggestions for your friend in need. Although I'd suggest starting at around 18.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

This was the friend I wanted to help a while back who nearly died due to a medical condition/surgery but was assured he’d quit smoking afterwards. He didn’t. Nearly 25 years ago he came close to rubbing my nose in the fact he’d quit smoking. He didn’t. No doubt he tried with all his heart and soul; he just couldn’t escape BT just like the rest of us until trying vaping came to our attention.

He will have another surgery in, they estimate, six weeks. He admits to smoking 2-3 cigarettes a day so let’s double that. The surgeon told him he will not operate unless he quits smoking. The plain truth is he can’t. I get that, I desperately wanted to quit for over 40 years.

The problem is simple, I need to make some juice for him but don’t know at what nic level to make it. We have six weeks to wean him down to 3mg, the amount @Baditude has said is negligible for surgery. Please correct me if I am wrong Baditude. We can deal with MOIAs or WTAs or whatever if he survives the surgery.

All I have to make juice right now is TFA blackberry. I know he likes blackberry since 20 of my quail have abandoned my patch lately and moved into his across the street, no joke.

What I really need to know is what % of nic and flavoring to start him off on. I used to use 20% flavoring, now use 1-3 drops per 30ml. The nic will have to be reduced dramatically in a short period of time. I want him to live for his wife, children and granddaughter, if nothing else. What’s the best way to help him?

I apologize for this coming off as so melodramatic, it's not by any stretch of the imagination. :cry:

This stuck a chord with me. My introduction to vaping happened when I needed neck surgery about 8 years ago. It was a big deal. The vertebrae in my neck were falling apart and it was starting to effect my spinal chord. The prognosis down the road was pretty ghastly. The surgery would provide a complete cure if I had it right away, which is what actually happened. I had to quit for at least 2 months before the surgery and 3 months afterwards, the doc said he wouldn't do the surgery unless I promised to abide by that.

The only vaping options back then were cigalikes from a mall kiosk. They were pretty feeble as a quitting aid. They did take the edge off a little. I showed the doc my cigalike when I went in for the pre surgery checkup and he was fine with that. He actually pulled a cigalike out of his pocket and smiled. I managed to meet the 5 month requirement but then I went back to smoking.

The particular problem with spinal surgery is that smoking reduces the blood supply to the spine, more so than to other parts of the body. And the culprit isn't the nicotine. According to my surgeon it is the CO. So vaping isn't a problem and the nic level wasn't relevant. That may not be the case with your friend. Another thing to bear in mind is that the level of knowledge on this subject is limited, even among doctors. The spinal surgery effect is simple, they can see that smokers have a much lower success rate from the surgery than non-smokers. And quitting for a short period before and after makes this effect mostly go away. But I'm not convinced that they know exactly what the mechanism is, like CO versus nicotine for example.

If your friend's surgery is something different then I have no idea. I'm just saying don't accept what the doctor says as necessarily accurate. And don't assume that getting the nic level down is critical. I have to guess, unless you have very good information to the contrary, that getting off the cigs is taking you at least most of the way to where you want to be, and if keeping the nic level up is necessary to quitting you are still way ahead. Assuming that a low nic level is an absolute requirement might be setting him up for failure on what really matters.

One thing that kept me going for 5 months, apart from fear, was knowing it didn't have to be permanent. I consoled myself with the thought that I would be able to start smoking again later. Depending on your friend's specific situation that might be good psychological support, like it was for me. If it's a lung or heart problem then this might not be good thinking though.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

One more thought. If your friend is only smoking a few cigs a day maybe patches and gum would do the job.

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
One more thought. If your friend is only smoking a few cigs a day maybe patches and gum would do the job.
Well... I think most people miss the real problem. While nic is supposedly highly addictive... I think more so is the wut the hell do yoo dew wit yer handz!!!!

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
I was smoking less then 1/2 pack a say when I started vaping. 18 mg made me nic sick so I almost didn't continue. Going to 12, whamo, magic! Within weeks I was down to 6, so maybe not start too high.
Yep that's what Ginny started with and was just right for her. Makes me dizzier then I already am.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast

Just my suggestions:
- start 'round 12mg if tootlepuffing setup, can adjust up/down from there; six weeks is a relatively generous period if he takes to vaping*
- higher PG% for 'throat hit' and 'lung fill' sensations
- maybe try unflavored first, remember that most of us were disappointed when joose didn't 'taste' like 'bakky, no need for PSS, and especially no dry hits
- at first, don't let him take fully inhaled vaping hits; coughing fits do not promote vaping

... we're here if you need anything at all. I'm sure that, if need be, one of us can find a mod kit or something to PIF, and we can send flavorings or anything else you might need, also. Just let us know. :):wub:

Absolutely!

*Took a buddy from 1.5 PAD down to 0 nic in 'bout two weeks; ergo my 'relatively generous period' comment. Granted, he was duly/truly motivated due to a shoulder replacement. Alas, post surgery, he vaped at 9mg for a couple of weeks before resuming da 'bakky.

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
Well... I think most people miss the real problem. While nic is supposedly highly addictive... I think more so is the wut the hell do yoo dew wit yer handz!!!!

I agree!!! I think for me it is more the "hand to mouth" action that I am addicted to than the nicotine itself. Thus the gum, patches, etc did not work for very long. What do I do with my hands? careful there!

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Although when I first bought a regulated MOD I went from 18-24MG to 6 right away I still had some higher percentage e-Liquid I used to spike my tanks. In less than a month I went to the 3MG I am at now but I do chain vape a lot. Although at 3MG when I can't vape it is not a problem and no withdrawals. But that is just my experience.

Vape On Safely

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
I started on 36mg and was still smoking besides but got down to under 1 pack a day doing that. It wasn't till I got sick that I really started to get serious. I was still working at the time and started out since I was on a desk job then cause I was legless and couldn't smoke in there so started vaping with a USB passthru that I could hook to my computer. Then I didn't have to go outside as often. I had a window so I blew it out there but not even the Suprintendant said anything to me for it. That was clear back in 09.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread