Not open for further replies.

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
But are you going through more juice?

No more than I did at 12mg, but more than I did at 36mg. I go through between 10 and 15mL a day of 5mg. Mostly through RDAs on squonkers and a sub-ohm tank running in TC mode.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
This stuck a chord with me. My introduction to vaping happened when I needed neck surgery about 8 years ago. It was a big deal. The vertebrae in my neck were falling apart and it was starting to effect my spinal chord. The prognosis down the road was pretty ghastly. The surgery would provide a complete cure if I had it right away, which is what actually happened. I had to quit for at least 2 months before the surgery and 3 months afterwards, the doc said he wouldn't do the surgery unless I promised to abide by that.

The only vaping options back then were cigalikes from a mall kiosk. They were pretty feeble as a quitting aid. They did take the edge off a little. I showed the doc my cigalike when I went in for the pre surgery checkup and he was fine with that. He actually pulled a cigalike out of his pocket and smiled. I managed to meet the 5 month requirement but then I went back to smoking.

The particular problem with spinal surgery is that smoking reduces the blood supply to the spine, more so than to other parts of the body. And the culprit isn't the nicotine. According to my surgeon it is the CO. So vaping isn't a problem and the nic level wasn't relevant. That may not be the case with your friend. Another thing to bear in mind is that the level of knowledge on this subject is limited, even among doctors. The spinal surgery effect is simple, they can see that smokers have a much lower success rate from the surgery than non-smokers. And quitting for a short period before and after makes this effect mostly go away. But I'm not convinced that they know exactly what the mechanism is, like CO versus nicotine for example.

If your friend's surgery is something different then I have no idea. I'm just saying don't accept what the doctor says as necessarily accurate. And don't assume that getting the nic level down is critical. I have to guess, unless you have very good information to the contrary, that getting off the cigs is taking you at least most of the way to where you want to be, and if keeping the nic level up is necessary to quitting you are still way ahead. Assuming that a low nic level is an absolute requirement might be setting him up for failure on what really matters.

One thing that kept me going for 5 months, apart from fear, was knowing it didn't have to be permanent. I consoled myself with the thought that I would be able to start smoking again later. Depending on your friend's specific situation that might be good psychological support, like it was for me. If it's a lung or heart problem then this might not be good thinking though.
You know my neighbor had what sounds like the same surgery. He had one disc in his back fused and no problem was back to work within 2-3 weeks. Then he had the neck surgery and they had to basically rebuild his whole neck. He figured it was going to be like the previous surgery but it wasn't. He was in the hospital for nearly a month then a rehab place for another month it has been probably 4-5 months now and he still doesn't have complete use of his left arm his right arm he can no raise up to his shoulder level but it has been a slow process. Not what he was expecting at all. He has a scar on the back of his neck from the top of it to just below the shoulders. Does that sound the same as yours?

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
You know my neighbor had what sounds like the same surgery. He had one disc in his back fused and no problem was back to work within 2-3 weeks. Then he had the neck surgery and they had to basically rebuild his whole neck. He figured it was going to be like the previous surgery but it wasn't. He was in the hospital for nearly a month then a rehab place for another month it has been probably 4-5 months now and he still doesn't have complete use of his left arm his right arm he can no raise up to his shoulder level but it has been a slow process. Not what he was expecting at all. He has a scar on the back of his neck from the top of it to just below the shoulders. Does that sound the same as yours?
wow, that stinks. Hope with some more therapy and exercises he can get more use back.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
wow, that stinks. Hope with some more therapy and exercises he can get more use back.
Yeah he is back to work he owns the auto parts store in town, He can't really lift anything so he has to have help with that. He has the place up for sale and it in the process of building a shop next door to us to work on cars. That will be handy for me. Everyone up here has to have at least 1 acre so it's not like it is right on top of us.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
@Debadoo any luck with getting the batteries to make connection
newp. It's trash unless I can use my son's long cord with it and plug it in. Haven't tried that, so that's assuming it does pass through

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Seems like it should since the screen lit up when you upgraded it. But who knows a lot of them aren't true pass throughs they just allow you to vape while charging. I think you should try origin vape again and see if he wouldn't exchange it if that's who you won it through. That's why I never got one, I never did like the design of that battery door. The VTCminis don't have that problem but they will only go up to 75w.

Sir Kadly

Tootle Wompin' Squonkaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2015
    Michiana
    newp. It's trash unless I can use my son's long cord with it and plug it in. Haven't tried that, so that's assuming it does pass through
    Debs, don't trash it or anything, mayhap I know a guy that'll take a look at it and see if it's fixable.

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    Well, yeah. The taste and watching smoke curl wuz neet.
    But I mean, wake up get coffee... cig. bathroom... cig... phone rings... cig. make a call... cig. Get in car... cig.
    Nothing worked without that skinny thing between the fingers.
    That was me.

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    Well got a surprise when I went to start the mower it wouldn't start and after a quick check I found that spark plug had a crack in the insulator so a quick run to LIFFCO to pick up parts. Was drizzling when I started but lucked out with no rain and had time to do another seeding. Now hopefully we get the rain the predict. Time for some lunch!
    Victory!

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    That was me.
    Smoking in my truck was my thing. I used to drive from Toronto to Ottawa on business often and loved cranking the tunes and littering the highway with a good 1/2 pack of butts each way. :eek:

When I started vaping, I found I could rent a car and vape in it, and vaping in a hotel room in the winter is sssooooo much better than getting dressed, taking an elevator, walking thru the lobby and standing outside in the snow having a smoke like a dumdum. THAT I don't miss at all! :)

I could go on and on, but I really don't miss any of my 30 years of smoking. And after almost a year off them, I am confident I am home free.:thumb:

SteveS45

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    @Kenna because you have the smoke free signature you just made me do the math and roughly the same amount of analogs I have avoided! Cutting the lawn and fixing the mower was child's play for me avoiding over 15,000 cigarettes now that was a VICTORY!

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    @Kenna because you have the smoke free signature you just made me do the math and roughly the same amount of analogs I have avoided! Cutting the lawn and fixing the mower was child's play for me avoiding over 15,000 cigarettes now that was a VICTORY!
    You can get the same banner from ECF. Itvs in the profile settings for a signature.

SteveS45

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 27, 2016
    Long Island, New York
    You can get the same banner from ECF. Itvs in the profile settings for a signature.

Thank you very much for the offer but honestly I do not want a constant reminder of how stupid I was to have smoked for all those years. Just now doing the math the number was shocking and I had to redo it to make sure it was correct. 2 years this month for being a former smoker. For insurance purposes I answer "NO I do not smoke" because as far as I know they do not ask if you ever smoked.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 18, 2012
    Texas, near Fort Hood
    Seems like it should since the screen lit up when you upgraded it. But who knows a lot of them aren't true pass throughs they just allow you to vape while charging. I think you should try origin vape again and see if he wouldn't exchange it if that's who you won it through. That's why I never got one, I never did like the design of that battery door. The VTCminis don't have that problem but they will only go up to 75w.
    I did email him again........didn't ask him to, but hoped he would offer, and told him I'd found several online that had the exact same issue. He said that he was likely going to stop dealing with joyetech because of how difficult they make it for vendors to get things replaced by them, and I think said he wouldn't be carryin cuboids anymore.

Debs, don't trash it or anything, mayhap I know a guy that'll take a look at it and see if it's fixable.
    oh kewl will pm ya inna minute

I had a problem with a MOD I won in a contest from Movkin. It was only a cosmetic issue with the display and they were more than happy to correct the issue. I received a nice thank you because they care about quality control.
    I honestly don't know if he had any left or not, I didn't look. And I told him I didn't expect him to replace it because I'd had it 4 months. It took me that long to be able to afford a pr of married batts for it :facepalm: Not on disability yet and I get very little money. So after having it for 4 months before I realized it didn't work, I really didn't expect a replacement.....just hoped he would. But Eric is a really good guy, so he mighta been out of em. He worked with though a lotta emails back and forth to see if there was anything we could do to get it going.

I could go on and on, but I really don't miss any of my 30 years of smoking. And after almost a year off them, I am confident I am home free.:thumb:
    I don't miss it either!!! And that is great for you that you've nearly hit your year mark!!

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    Yep I think it is probably a wire has come unsoldered because it took the upgrade just fine and after she restarted her computer the computer recognized it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread