Status
Not open for further replies.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
We moved out into the edge of the next county about 20 years ago and built a nice home away from the hustle and bustle. Down side was no decent internet besides ATT DSL at 6mbps. We went for a long time with ATT internet that would stall and reload just playing YouTube videos.

Finally, the local mom and pop cable system added internet and sold us a slow, but stable 6mbps connection. About 3 years ago they partnered with Cox (who couldn't legally cross the county line) to deliver 16mbps internet through their system and life has been good. We have a 350gb cap and that's enough to watch Netflix for hours a day if we want.

I envy people who get 30+ cable internet!
Most of tge time the internet is S0 ______ and _______ i have to use my phone as a hot spot. After my data plan us 2 GB at 4G LTE is used up i am back at edge Speed and that is a vast inprovement over The parks WiFi. It chucks at 12 mbps but yoy have to be 20-15 feet away from the router to have a stable connection. Which means i have to go to the laundry room which is an air conditioned deep freeze in the winter (NO heat) or a Sauna in tge summer.

My stupid little phone throws up a larger hot spot than any of tge four routers in tge Park.

I can't wait to get the ______ OUTA HERE!

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I've tried TC with SS316 several times in several mods and it's been finicky with spits and pops and crackling. I'm sure it's a TCR issue, but with various recommended values it's still either a quick temp shutdown or a hot, crackly vape.

I gave up and stayed in power mode, not seeing the benefit of TC. I like the cool trouble-free vape I get from VW. Is it likely that I can vape at a 10W style temp level with TC and enjoy it? I'm not a fan of warm vaping. When I smoked I didn't like a hot-boxed cig, either.
I dobt like TC either

But i do like stainless Steel in power mode.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
NJOY is apparently back in business but when you go the site they want your email addy to verify your age. How the heck does that work? :blink:

Scroll down a bit on that pop up. There's a No Thanks thingy @ the bottom.
They may contact your ISP and if tge names match. That is one possible way.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I also have several hundred Nicrome ready made coils from FT to use up. The problem with 1.8 & 2.2 ohm nicrome is that you cant dry burn the stuff without it popping. It just isn't as strong a wire as Kanthal.

I tried Nichrome for a while when I first tried TC. I discovered that you can't dry burn it or it turns to ash. So, I went to SS316. It works, but the Koopor 200W I was using at the time didn't work well on the suggested TCR levels. I finally gave up and went back to power mode.

I just don't see the benefit when I can just set my wattage to 10W and vape happily forever.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My Coilmaster 4 came in yesterday. I tried a few coils and overlapped them like crazy. I finally realized that you can't put any side pressure on the wrap. Still, it was hard to get a coil without at least one overlap.

After watching the Coilmaster video back in the earlier part of this thread I think my problem was that I didn't move the wrap screw to the closer hole. It came in set on the outer hole. I did back it out to get more screw in front of the wire, but still I had overlaps last night and the 28ga Kanthal wire would pop out from under the screw.

Once I move the screw to the inner hole I expect it all to come into the sweet spot tonight.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
My Coilmaster 4 came in yesterday. I tried a few coils and overlapped them like crazy. I finally realized that you can't put any side pressure on the wrap. Still, it was hard to get a coil without at least one overlap.

After watching the Coilmaster video back in the earlier part of this thread I think my problem was that I didn't move the wrap screw to the closer hole. It came in set on the outer hole. I did back it out to get more screw in front of the wire, but still I had overlaps last night and the 28ga Kanthal wire would pop out from under the screw.

Once I move the screw to the inner hole I expect it all to come into the sweet spot tonight.
I use a coiler because of my hands. It took me maybe 2 coils to figure out the pressure to use. My coiler has 2 screws, different distances from the post. I use 28g SS or Kanthal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I haven't used nothing other than kanthal for my builds. I don't want to have to pay all sorts of attention to what atty has what wire in it, make the mistake of firing the wrong wire with the wrong setting...turning vaping onto rocket science. IMO most important is now you rely on a mass produced cheap chip to regulate something that if it doesn't function properly could do harm. I can't and will not be bothered to hassle with wire types that require me to step out of my KISS bubble.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I haven't used nothing other than kanthal for my builds. I don't want to have to pay all sorts of attention to what atty has what wire in it, make the mistake of firing the wrong wire with the wrong setting...turning vaping onto rocket science. IMO most important is now you rely on a mass produced cheap chip to regulate something that if it doesn't function properly could do harm. I can't and will not be bothered to hassle with wire types that require me to step out of my KISS bubble.
I like both SS & Kanthal in power mode. I really likr SS over Kanyhal by a bit. I get a 'cleaner' taste from SS. Use it just like Kanthal. No TC for me.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I have one of those coiler jigs and it just sits on the shelf. I'm not partial to contact coils, tried them with different gauge wire but in the end its a spaced coil I prefer. I just bought a pile of small different diameter and thread width bolts and wrap using those.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I've always managed to get far better coils if I just wrap them, and forget about all the fancy tools.
Ditto. Started wrapping coils on Shaft if little blue screwdriver. Then got a little coil jig. Still wrap 2 mm coils for my Compact Kayfun.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I have one of those coiler jigs and it just sits on the shelf. I'm not partial to contact coils, tried them with different gauge wire but in the end its a spaced coil I prefer. I just bought a pile of small different diameter and thread width bolts and wrap using those.
I do spaced coils with my coiler. I just can't hold the wire tight enough to wrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread