Status
Not open for further replies.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I use a coiler because of my hands. It took me maybe 2 coils to figure out the pressure to use. My coiler has 2 screws, different distances from the post. I use 28g SS or Kanthal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Middle, ring and little fingers on my left hand curled up and useless from Duprodens contracture.

Trapping leads under screw heads are a real PITA.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I like both SS & Kanthal in power mode. I really likr SS over Kanyhal by a bit. I get a 'cleaner' taste from SS. Use it just like Kanthal. No TC for me.

Agreed. SS hss a cleaner taste.

Tried TC 2-3 times vand decided it is not for me till TC stops acting like a roller coaster.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I haven't used nothing other than kanthal for my builds. I don't want to have to pay all sorts of attention to what atty has what wire in it, make the mistake of firing the wrong wire with the wrong setting...turning vaping onto rocket science. IMO most important is now you rely on a mass produced cheap chip to regulate something that if it doesn't function properly could do harm. I can't and will not be bothered to hassle with wire types that require me to step out of my KISS bubble.

:thumb: Me too ... it just befuddled my head trying to understand the different wire types and which could/could not be dry burned or overheated, etc. I did give it a go back in the old days :)unsure:) of DNA40's but eventually went back to Kanthal and 'power vaping'. And then when people started talking about custom TCR setups and I had a look at the eScribe s/w for DNAs ... nope too techie for me.

My setups work for me and that's what counts 'for me'.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Middle, ring and little fingers on my left hand curled up and useless from Duprodens contracture.

Mine curl like that, too, but I can straighten them enoughto grip somethings. The index finger has no strengh. The whole effort of grasping the wire is painful. I donct try to trap the wire under the screw.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Mine curl like that, too, but I can straighten them enoughto grip somethings. The index finger has no strengh. The whole effort of grasping the wire is painful. I donct try to trap the wire under the screw.

The three fingers curled up i cannot open at all. About every 2-3 weeks i have to take a fat shsrpie and force those fingers open enough to cut the nails with a pair of scisors. Using fingernail clippers is impossible.

I use a Compact Kayfun (see avatar) and you MUST trap leads under screw heads. Sometines it takes 10-12 tries to trap tge leads.

Post holes woukd make my life easier but hate RDAs snd dripping

I prefer single coil to dual.

With FDA deeming regulations need an Atty i can get spare parts

I'm a flavor chaser.

So i am stuck with Kayfun so far

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I do spaced coils with my coiler. I just can't hold the wire tight enough to wrap.

I watched a YouTube flick on putting a bent piece of wire between the wraps and wrapping with the jig to make it spaced. I just couldn't grasp that method, maybe cause I'm far too old skool for that kind of technology...Owell.

:thumb: Me too ... it just befuddled my head trying to understand the different wire types and which could/could not be dry burned or overheated, etc. I did give it a go back in the old days :)unsure:) of DNA40's but eventually went back to Kanthal and 'power vaping'. And then when people started talking about custom TCR setups and I had a look at the eScribe s/w for DNAs ... nope too techie for me.

My setups work for me and that's what counts 'for me'.

I got plenty in my life that befuddles my head without adding my vape gear to it also. I read plenty of what temp should I use threads, I just wanna vape and not have to think if I'm doing it right or phart around with settings with every vape I take...thats not my style.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

I've seen some on ECF who have filed/ground slots on the deck, coming from the screw holes to help with that, so there's a groove the lead lays in to make it easier to trap the wire under the screw head. And, of course, can't find the thread or pics.....

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've always managed to get far better coils if I just wrap them, and forget about all the fancy tools.

I have a couple of coil wrap wands that work really well. One is in half sizes and the other whole sizes. I bought the CoilMaster 4 after seeing Busardo's demonstration. It looks like a great tool for wrapping coils in quantity and throwing them in a box for a quick recoil later.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I watched a YouTube flick on putting a bent piece of wire between the wraps and wrapping with the jig to make it spaced. I just couldn't grasp that method, maybe cause I'm far too old skool for that kind of technology...Owell.

It's easy to spread it while it's still on the coil winder. You can spread with your fingernail or pliers and then push it in to compress it with the coil winder part to get it exactly right, then slide it off.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
I haven't used nothing other than kanthal for my builds. I don't want to have to pay all sorts of attention to what atty has what wire in it, make the mistake of firing the wrong wire with the wrong setting...turning vaping onto rocket science. IMO most important is now you rely on a mass produced cheap chip to regulate something that if it doesn't function properly could do harm. I can't and will not be bothered to hassle with wire types that require me to step out of my KISS bubble.
Me too! All I use is 28 and 30 gauge Kanthal for 1.5 coils. Works for me.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah

My problem is that my rt thumb joint has been removed, so I have no "pinch" strength.
    That coupled with some index finger paralyses, makes grasping things (even a PV) a PITA with my right hand. My hand/wrist was so messed up that they even shortened my arm ... It use to go all the way up to my wrist. ;) :lol:
    I have to hold a pen like a little kid would hold a crayon .... So much for penmanship!

cigatron

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 14, 2014
    clinton ar
    I have one of those coiler jigs and it just sits on the shelf. I'm not partial to contact coils, tried them with different gauge wire but in the end its a spaced coil I prefer. I just bought a pile of small different diameter and thread width bolts and wrap using those.

Me too. Spaced coils are great and super easy to wind on machine screws.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    I've seen some on ECF who have filed/ground slots on the deck, coming from the screw holes to help with that, so there's a groove the lead lays in to make it easier to trap the wire under the screw head. And, of course, can't find the thread or pics.....
    I saw that tip. Havent used it because 98% of my stuff is boxed to move and cant find anything. My concern is getting the screw out and even harder getting the screw back in.

May try that wben settled in.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    It's easy to spread it while it's still on the coil winder. You can spread with your fingernail or pliers and then push it in to compress it with the coil winder part to get it exactly right, then slide it off.
    How about wrapping a parell coil, then cut the wire where it was folded in half. Voila two perfectly spaced coils.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    Me too. Spaced coils are great and super easy to wind on machine screws.
    Using threads of s screw is a good way for spaced coils.

But folding wire in half; cut wire where it was folded and you have two identical spaced coils.

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    The three fingers curled up i cannot open at all. About every 2-3 weeks i have to take a fat shsrpie and force those fingers open enough to cut the nails with a pair of scisors. Using fingernail clippers is impossible.

I use a Compact Kayfun (see avatar) and you MUST trap leads under screw heads. Sometines it takes 10-12 tries to trap tge leads.

Post holes woukd make my life easier but hate RDAs snd dripping

I prefer single coil to dual.

With FDA deeming regulations need an Atty i can get spare parts

I'm a flavor chaser.

So i am stuck with Kayfun so far
    I thought you wrre talking about the coiler screws! The only tank I use are Kayfuns. Drippers are Magma's because I can get them unscrewed. I can't pull an atty apart to coil & wick. I have several squonk drippers.

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA

I got plenty in my life that befuddles my head without adding my vape gear to it also. I read plenty of what temp should I use threads, I just wanna vape and not have to think if I'm doing it right or phart around with settings with every vape I take...thats not my style.
    Yes!

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    SS on a coiler pretty much spaces itself because it's so springy.

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    My problem is that my rt thumb joint has been removed, so I have no "pinch" strength.
    That coupled with some index finger paralyses, makes grasping things (even a PV) a PITA with my right hand. My hand/wrist was so messed up that they even shortened my arm ... It use to go all the way up to my wrist. ;) [emoji38]
    I have to hold a pen like a little kid would hold a crayon .... So much for penmanship!
    How aggravating!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread