Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
The tool I use to wind coils I affectionately named the "Cigamajig". Back when I designed it coil winders were in their infancy and well, they just didn't do that well for winding uniform coils.
I purposed to design a coil winder that used constant tension to impart stress into the wire. "Turn the tool, not the wire"
This tool can be made in just about anyone's garage for about $10. I stick of wood, two grub screws, a button head cap screw, a washer and drill bits or screw sizes of your choice to wind your coil on is all that's needed. Even cheaper if one decides to make a tool just for one coil size.
IMG_20170224_160035_124-1.jpg

IMG_20170224_160052_029-1.jpg

I'm not trying to sell these, it was designed for DIY'rs to build themselves but here are the Pros and Cons anyway.
PROS
1. Winds wire directly from the spool (no guessing how long to cut your wire for X number of wraps) (less wasteful).
2. Winds coils under tension whether contact or spaced coils (coils wound under tension are much more likely to retain their shape while mounting and dry burning.
3. No pinching of contact coils required if mounted without imparting external forces on coil.
4. Quick change mandrel held by two grub screws and one piece design (no hunting for winder pieces or changing screw locations).
5. Winds perfect coils in less than a minute.
6. The Version 2 in the pics below can wind contact or spaced coils from 1-3mm.
7. Button cap screw holds tag end of wire securely so you don't have to.

CONS

1. Older folks or those with tactile impairments may have trouble offering enough tension to gain full advantage of this tension winder when winding with wire gauges thicker than 26g.

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
I have both versions of Cig's Cigamajig and they do work great. Version 2 is more versatile with being able to change bits (mandrel size). I actually like my Cigamajigs better than my Coil Master. I still use Kanger bottom coil toppers, however, and I can wrap on a 16 gage blunt tipped needle in a flash.

Cigatron was my mentor learning to wrap my own coils.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
The tool I use to wind coils I affectionately named the "Cigamajig". Back when I designed it coil winders were in their infancy and well, they just didn't do that well for winding uniform coils.
I purposed to design a coil winder that used constant tension to impart stress into the wire. "Turn the tool, not the wire"
This tool can be made in just about anyone's garage for about $10. I stick of wood, two grub screws, a button head cap screw, a washer and drill bits or screw sizes of your choice to wind your coil on is all that's needed. Even cheaper if one decides to make a tool just for one coil size.
View attachment 637425
View attachment 637427
I'm not trying to sell these, it was designed for DIY'rs to build themselves but here are the Pros and Cons anyway.
PROS
1. Winds wire directly from the spool (no guessing how long to cut your wire for X number of wraps) (less wasteful).
2. Winds coils under tension whether contact or spaced coils (coils wound under tension are much more likely to retain their shape while mounting and dry burning.
3. No pinching of contact coils required if mounted without imparting external forces on coil.
4. Quick change mandrel held by two grub screws and one piece design (no hunting for winder pieces or changing screw locations).

CONS

1. Older folks or those with tactile impairments may have trouble offering enough tension to gain full advantage of this tension winder when winding with wire gauges thicker than 26g.
GReat tool and I use it to this day!

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
Hi Dinger
I think she got it today. P office said Friday. She is an accountant that lost her help and is on serious work overload right now. I will probably hear in a day or two how things are going. Actually going away for the weekend so maybe I will be able to tell folks by Monday.
Thanks for asking

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Hi Dinger
I think she got it today. P office said Friday. She is an accountant that lost her help and is on serious work overload right now. I will probably hear in a day or two how things are going. Actually going away for the weekend so maybe I will be able to tell folks by Monday.
Thanks for asking

Yeah, I gave up Accounting for Lent about 18 years ago :D :D :D I speak it - I just don't have to *DO* it :)

Keep us posted - hopefully she can find something that works.....

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I thought you wrre talking about the coiler screws! The only tank I use are Kayfuns. Drippers are Magma's because I can get them unscrewed. I can't pull an atty apart to coil & wick. I have several squonk drippers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Its the Kayfun way of trapping leads.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Yeah, I gave up Accounting for Lent about 18 years ago :D :D :D I speak it - I just don't have to *DO* it :)

Keep us posted - hopefully she can find something that works.....
I had minors in Religion abd accounting. I gave up accounting in the second year.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida

CONS

Thanks for sharing this. Hubby has a shop full of tools and can make this for me.

Can you please post the pic of version 2?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Last night I fixed my Coil Master woes by using someone's suggestion to move the screw to the inner hole for my 2.5mm coils. First one worked like a dream after that.

I've been coiling on step mandrels for a long time. That's still the easiest way to a good coil. Just wrap and count, trim the excess, and install and dry burn. The mandrel is a good tool to hold the coil in position while tightening the atty screws.

The Coil Master is a great tool and it may become my go to coil winding accessory. We'll see. It's at least a good method to sit and wind coils in bulk while watching TV.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Can you please post the pic of version 2?

The pic in my post is the V2 Cigamajig. You can see the two grub screws on the left for tightening the mandrel in place. The screw on the right is for holding the end of the wire in place. A washer can be expoxied to the wood handle under that screw to keep the wire from digging in to the wood handle.
Instructions for winding coils with it are in one of my blogs.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
View attachment 637425
View attachment 637427
PROS

CONS

Do you by any chance have directions on how to make this? If not perhaps next time I see you @clnire you could bring yours with you so I can look at it.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
At least with dial up tge signal didn't up and dissappear for 5-20 minutes. Dial up was just slow.

Yes, dial up was very slow and extremely reliable. What we have now disappears for 5 minutes to a couple of days. :facepalm: When it works it is far faster than dial up was. Not super fast but faster by far. :)

I envy people who get 30+ cable internet!

You and me both. :sneaky:

NJOY is apparently back in business but when you go the site they want your email addy to verify your age. How the heck does that work? :blink:

Scroll down a bit on that pop up. There's a No Thanks thingy @ the bottom.

Thanks, guess I didn't look far enough. I'll always be grateful to NJOY for saving vaping, at least for the time being back then. :thumbs:

I haven't used nothing other than kanthal for my builds. I don't want to have to pay all sorts of attention to what atty has what wire in it, make the mistake of firing the wrong wire with the wrong setting...turning vaping onto rocket science. IMO most important is now you rely on a mass produced cheap chip to regulate something that if it doesn't function properly could do harm. I can't and will not be bothered to hassle with wire types that require me to step out of my KISS bubble.

I agree and my KISS bubble is about as roomy as a straitjacket. I do admire those that experiment and tinker though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread