Not open for further replies.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
ACSH Invited to White House to Advise on Tobacco Harm Reduction - American Council on Science and Health

Here's their recommendation to Mr. Obama:
"The regulatory assessment on small businesses, and the cost-benefit analysis, are separate issues that OMB is considering. We instead care about keeping a harm reduction and smoking cessation tool available to smokers who want to quit. So our specific recommendation was that the “substantial equivalence” date — the date at which products could be allowed to continue to exist without going through new regulatory review — be changed from early 2007 to the date that OIRA puts its stamp on the new regulations."
The difference in years does make a tremendous difference. However, what makes the biggest difference to me is that the American Council on Science and Health says publicly that they care about "keeping a harm reduction and smoking cessation tool available to smokers who want to quit."

vaping is not the problem. It's the solution. It's not a tobacco product. It's the solution to tobacco products.
Lucky you! I keep a small PV, extra battery and at least 10mls of juice in my purse at all times. It isn't the nic, for me; I vape 3mg. It's the hand-to-mouth action.
Me too! At least!

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Hi all..I havn't been very active lately..REOs tend to make me a lazy vapor so I've been pursuing other hobbies (photography and streaming media)
Anyway, I've been thinking about getting into temp control. I've been researching obsessively lol. IDK...I'm happy with my REOs but I'm interested. I'm wondering maybe i should sit back and watch a while longer..I don't want to invest a bunch of money in a DNA 200 only to have it be obsolete in a couple months.

I've been eyeing the lavabox but I had such a bad experience with the lavatube when it first came out. Cost wise I figure it wouldn't be too bad. I've got several kayfun lites I can use. The device comes with batteries inside so all I would need is the device and some wire. I've got a few years of coil building under my belt. I mastered genesis atomizers so I figure I can master this. In some ways I'm ready to master something else but then I think..I'm happy with the gear I have, do I really want to go through the expense and learning curve again...sigh

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
We instead care about keeping a harm reduction and smoking cessation tool available to smokers who want to quit. So our specific recommendation was that the “substantial equivalence” date — the date at which products could be allowed to continue to exist without going through new regulatory review — be changed from early 2007 to the date that OIRA puts its stamp on the new regulations."
that's wonderful if they'll pay attn to it!

Anyway, I've been thinking about getting into temp control. I've been researching obsessively lol. IDK...I'm happy with my REOs but I'm interested. I'm wondering maybe i should sit back and watch a while longer..I don't want to invest a bunch of money in a DNA 200 only to have it be obsolete in a couple months.
2legsshrt and bigbells are your TC people.....and legs has been investigating the DNA 200 but I think decided against it, I'm not sure

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
The difference in years does make a tremendous difference. However, what makes the biggest difference to me is that the American Council on Science and Health says publicly that they care about "keeping a harm reduction and smoking cessation tool available to smokers who want to quit."

Vaping is not the problem. It's the solution. It's not a tobacco product. It's the solution to tobacco products.

I agree, Dancing. I believe, with every fiber of my being, that vaping saves lives. Smoking causes many kinds of cancer, although the focus is on respiratory problems. Some of these cancers are virtually undetectable until it's too late. My cancer was discovered only by lucky coincidence. All of the stuff about choice aside, that any group of purported scientists would decry vaping is both disingenuous and unconscionable. I think that only the scientific and medical community can exert influence over the administration, and I am happy to see that ACSH was invited to do so. I see this as a positive, major step forward.

Off soapbox.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I gave up searching for something better about a year ago. Still content.
I'm not searching for something better... just .. different. My whole vape life has included mastering something new...direct dripping on attys, carto tanks, VV, (I did manage to skip VW) building coils, building for a genesis, getting the (insert cuss work) kayfun to wick consistently, squonking. I'm bored I guess. Maybe I'm ready to take on a new challenge. I'm trying to stay away and be content but just as soon as I decide to stay where I'm at, I find myself watching youtube videos on TC and looking at TC devices and posting all this about it
sorry-20.GIF

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm a kinda if it ain't broke don't fix it kinda guy. :) But I do understand if someone wants to play with new toys. As they say, if it feels good, do it. :D I'm sure you will find all kinds of help here.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
I vaped 3 puffs at 8 am... It's 2 PM. Didn't even realize that I had not had any puffs since before I walked out the door.

Now that, my friend, is 'freedom' <unlike below>!

This isn't great news, but it may be good news: ACSH Invited to White House to Advise on Tobacco Harm Reduction - American Council on Science and Health

Perhaps this will make folks feel at least a little bit better ...

Noper, no shooting da messenger here. BUT, I'm truly tired of some folk taking a big sigh of relief when we might lose only part of our vaping! It's like a mugger only taking half of your money and you're grateful. Phrack dat!!!

Said it before and I'll continue to say it, I'll go 'underground'/'under table' (aka, at my age, da gray market) if or when it becomes necessary.
soapbox.gif

Last edited:

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
This isn't great news, but it may be good news: ACSH Invited to White House to Advise on Tobacco Harm Reduction - American Council on Science and Health

Here's their recommendation to Mr. Obama:
"The regulatory assessment on small businesses, and the cost-benefit analysis, are separate issues that OMB is considering. We instead care about keeping a harm reduction and smoking cessation tool available to smokers who want to quit. So our specific recommendation was that the “substantial equivalence” date — the date at which products could be allowed to continue to exist without going through new regulatory review — be changed from early 2007 to the date that OIRA puts its stamp on the new regulations."

Perhaps this will make folks feel at least a little bit better ...

ETA: if it doesn't make you feel a little bit better, please don't shoot the messenger! :)
Let's not forget, Obama was (maybe still is) a smoker. So he probably has a bit of interest in it himself.
Who, knows, maybe they will convert him. High-stress job, pleasing Michelle, and all that.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Only done that a couple of times but it is weird to realize you haven't vaped in an hour or two and didn't even notice. I can live with that.
that was 6 hours... and I didn't even NOTICE until I took the time to sit down.

Now that, my friend, is 'freedom' <unlike below>!
yepper definitely freedom.

Noper, no shooting da messenger here. BUT, I'm truly tired of some folk taking a big sigh of relief when we might lose only part of our vaping! It's like a mugger only taking half of your money and you're grateful. Phrack dat!!!

Said it before and I'll continue to say it, I'll go 'underground'/'under table' (aka, at my age, da gray market) if or when it becomes necessary.
soapbox.gif
also not shooting the messenger...
but. they should not even be ALLOWED to regulate an activity that is safer than taking a bath..
in 2014 73 people died in a bathtub.
let's see now... how many people died from vaping in 2014... oh, yes. NONE.

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA

soapbox.gif
I appreciate your perspective, Iffy. I am doing all that I can to preserve our rights, as I know you are. But the truth is, I AM grateful. I'm grateful that a group of scientists -- real scientists, as opposed to those who have a read a handful of bogus studies and formed an opinion worthy of the proverbial man in the diner -- stood up and expressed a contrary point of view. I'm hopeful that more will follow.

(I like your soap box :))

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
that was 6 hours... and I didn't even NOTICE until I took the time to sit down.

yepper definitely freedom.

but. they should not even be ALLOWED to regulate an activity that is safer than taking a bath..
It not only shouldn't be sin-taxed or over-regulated, it should be made as freely available as possible! Insurance should pay for it. And, the government should have B&Ms where people could come and try out different things to see what works for them, for free.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Hi all..I havn't been very active lately..REOs tend to make me a lazy vapor so I've been pursuing other hobbies (photography and streaming media)

I've been eyeing the lavabox but I had such a bad experience with the lavatube when it first came out. Cost wise I figure it wouldn't be too bad. I've got several kayfun lites I can use. The device comes with batteries inside so all I would need is the device and some wire. I've got a few years of coil building under my belt. I mastered genesis atomizers so I figure I can master this. In some ways I'm ready to master something else but then I think..I'm happy with the gear I have, do I really want to go through the expense and learning curve again...sigh

Welcome to the porch Donna ... please make yourself at home and join the join. Bunch of Reo folks here and a few using TC mods.

I first got to know Jewels too back when she was running the tank co-ops. She was pretty active on the porches and was loved my all.

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
Lucky you! I keep a small PV, extra battery and at least 10mls of juice in my purse at all times. It isn't the nic, for me; I vape 3mg. It's the hand-to-mouth action.
That's me. It's more the hand to mouth than the Nic.

Got an email that A Billion Lives is meeting with one of the powers that be Dec 10. The word is spreading there. If Big Whatever puts the kabash on this movie it will be interesting.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I believe the sale starts at midnight Central Time tonight. It's 'while supplies last'. So, be ready at midnight with your cc ready to go!

Unless, of course, it's a typo and everyone is getting all excited for nothing.

ETA: this is what the site says:
[On Cyber Monday]
  • “Scratch and Dent” ProVari V2.5 and ProVari Mini V2.5 for only $25! No coupon necessary, while supplies last.
And, here's the links to the 2.5 that are being referred to:
Provari 2.5
Provari 2.5 Mini
LOL! I forgot to click the over 18 box & it sent me to a Disney website! That is just too funny!

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
I'm not searching for something better... just .. different. My whole vape life has included mastering something new...direct dripping on attys, carto tanks, VV, (I did manage to skip VW) building coils, building for a genesis, getting the (insert cuss work) kayfun to wick consistently, squonking. I'm bored I guess. Maybe I'm ready to take on a new challenge. I'm trying to stay away and be content but just as soon as I decide to stay where I'm at, I find myself watching youtube videos on TC and looking at TC devices and posting all this about it
sorry-20.GIF
I've become a TC user because from the get-go, I liked the IDEA of the technology behind it. I tried and rejected nickel coils but am happy with titanium and stainless steel 304 coils. The Cloupor GT PV I use the most was designed for nickel coils but I've been able to make it work well with both titanium and stainless steel 304 by using untrue temperature settings and adjusting the power via the variable joules setting.

I build on a Kanger Subtank RBA deck, and am currently using a 0.28 ohm stainless steel 304 coil with a rayon wick. I've got the Cloupor set at the minimum 200 degrees F, with joules set at 11.3.

I've got a Wismec Reuleaux with the DNA 200 chip on the way (hopefully), but I'm doing fine with the Cloupor GT and the SS coil for the time being.

Unlike most people, I neither dry burn nor pulse any coil, ever. I make the coil, install it in the joose-filled tank, and start vaping.

I also took the short walk to full-out crazy and ordered a small arsenal of the sale Provari 2.5 blemishes and floor models from Vixen Vapors. I have no plan to use any of them myself but was tempted beyond my ability to resist by the price. I couldn't use one even if I wanted to unless I bought the required batteries or the extension caps.

I should have bought the Provari 2.5 Mini PVs, but didn't. The Mini models are all out of stock now. The minis use 18350 button tops and I do have 4 of those batteries, but I don't have any 18490 or 18500 batteries for the "regular" Provari 2.5 models, and I purchased friggin' 8 of them.

Last edited:

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
I agree, Dancing. I believe, with every fiber of my being, that vaping saves lives. Smoking causes many kinds of cancer, although the focus is on respiratory problems. Some of these cancers are virtually undetectable until it's too late. My cancer was discovered only by lucky coincidence. All of the stuff about choice aside, that any group of purported scientists would decry vaping is both disingenuous and unconscionable. I think that only the scientific and medical community can exert influence over the administration, and I am happy to see that ACSH was invited to do so. I see this as a positive, major step forward.

Off soapbox.
Lung cancer is like that. By the time symptoms show it's pretty far along. I was extremely lucky to have such an early detection. If I hadn't had other breathing issues I really believe I would be close to death now instead of almost 4 years cancer free. Another 18 months of Semi annual (every 6 months) screening then it's annually. Can't wait.

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Lung cancer is like that. By the time symptoms show it's pretty far along. I was extremely lucky to have such an early detection. If I hadn't had other breathing issues I really believe I would be close to death now instead of almost 4 years cancer free. Another 18 months of Semi annual (every 6 months) screening then it's annually. Can't wait.
:wub: ^^^

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
I am absolutely certain that if it didn't effect the tobacco settlement money and big pharma/tobacco profits they wouldn't have even taken notice of vaping. You know somebody had to tell em about it and I'm sure it wasn't some do gooder but rather some tobacco exec over a catered lunch...
"Hey John, don't want to spoil your salmon but, we gotta do something about this vaping stuff. We're starting to see it on the bottom line and you know we can't have that. "
"Don't worry one bit about it Ralph, I'll screw em over good. Make the average American think it's as bad as nerve gas!"
Ha, ha, ha, chortle, chortle, guffaw! :lol::lol::lol:
Or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread