Status
Not open for further replies.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Hopefully, when I have my own room again, I'll have a place to keep an assembly line of things I'm working on. Right out in the open so I'm likely to actually DO it!
I feel your pain hun. that will make a huge difference I'm sure! Takes me forever to do stuff to sometimes, and most folks don't get how it can be enough of a pain to just sap your motivation.

The fact is that each of these 4 states negotiated a separate settlement with Big tobacco, and that is why they are not included in the multi-state agreement.
that's interesting. I didn't read the link, but was wondering if you knew if they'd also sold tobacco bonds, or gotten their money up front.

I was in such terrible shape for so long and I would still be a miserable smoker struggling to do the simplest things without vaping.
That's wonderful to hear that you're able to do things much easier now!! such a great thing!

My heart is with all our vets today, and all those who made the ultimate sacrifice.
military Salute Camo Hat.gif

Last edited:

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
that's interesting. I didn't read the link, but was wondering if you knew if they'd also sold tobacco bonds, or gotten their money up front.
Each of the 4 states crafted their own individual agreement with the 5 big tobacco companies. I don't believe that any of the states got their money up front.

I'm guessing you're interested in Texas-specific information. Here is some:

The settlement with Texas calls for $17.3 billion to be paid to the state over the course of 25 years, with the first payment having been made in 1999.

Texas has not sold settlement-based bonds. Most other states did.

Texas recently agreed to protect the cigarette monopoly of the 5 big tobacco companies by applying an additional state tax to tobacco products NOT sold by those 5 companies.

Texas spends less than 1% of the money it gets from tobacco on smoking prevention. The CDC recommendation for TX is that it spend 14% of its tobacco money on smoking prevention.

Tobacco companies spend 55 times as much on tobacco marketing in TX as TX spends on smoking prevention.

There are 11 other states that spend even smaller proportions of their tobacco income on smoking prevention.

Last edited:

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
That one is a classic. Have seen it before, and still gives me goosebumps.

I found the one I posted earlier while looking for one I'm familiar with and have posted in the past...

tumblr_lltz6kd4RY1qk6xkbo1_500.jpg

Until today, I had never seen the wheelchair version.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Each of the 4 states crafted their own individual agreement with the 5 big tobacco companies. I don't believe that any of the states got their money up front.

The settlement with Texas calls for $17.3 billion to be paid to the state over the course of 25 years, with the first payment having been made in 1999.

Texas recently agreed to protect the cigarette monopoly of the 5 big tobacco companies by applying an additional state tax to tobacco products NOT sold by those 5 companies.

Texas spends less than 1% of the money it gets from tobacco on smoking prevention. The CDC recommendation for TX is that it spend 14% of its tobacco money on smoking prevention.

Tobacco companies spend 55 times as much on tobacco marketing in TX as TX spends on smoking prevention.

There are 11 other states that spend even smaller proportions of their tobacco income on smoking prevention.

Good job bells ... :thumbs:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
memorial-day-dog.jpg

military-dog.jpg

Military+Dogs.jpg

article-2045816-0E3D560800000578-77_634x417.jpg

MemorialDay3.jpg

Iffy, that image at The Wall has always haunted me.

There is no way I could possibly express my gratitude to those who have died while serving our country. I try to honor them by making my corner of the world a little better, uphold the values they fought for and remember them often.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains

That is gorgeous Wolf! Please let us know how you like.

On occasion, someone living in one of the 4 US states that were not participants in the 1998 Master Settlement Agreement with Big Tobacco will say something like: "my state didn't get involved in that" or "my state wouldn't take any of the money".

The fact is that each of these 4 states negotiated a separate settlement with Big Tobacco, and that is why they are not included in the multi-state agreement.

The following is from Summary of the Attorneys General Master Tobacco Settlement Agreement

On November 23, 1998 the Attorneys General and other representatives of 46 states, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam and the District of Columbia signed an agreement with the five largest tobacco manufacturers (Brown & Williamson Tobacco corporation, Lorillard Tobacco Company, Philip Morris Incorporated, R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, Commonwealth Tobacco, and Liggett & Myers), ending a four-year legal battle between the states and the industry that began in 1994 when Mississippi became the first state to file suit. Four states (Florida, Minnesota, Mississippi and Texas) had previously settled with tobacco manufacturers for $40 billion.

That explains a lot Bells. Thank you for posting it.

Looks like Kanger has done a significant redesign of the RBA deck for the Subtank. It's got juice holes on the side like an OCC coil head. At least that's what it looks like at about 5:30 in the video. Nice looking mod, too.

Big thread about them going here, if you weren't aware. You probably are, but just in case. New Kanger Box Mod- The Subox | E-Cigarette Forum

"Texas recently agreed to protect the cigarette monopoly of the 5 big tobacco companies by applying an additional state tax to tobacco products NOT sold by those 5 companies." Is that even legal? What surprises me the most is that I don't find this surprising. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread