Not open for further replies.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Got some nickel wire and a coil jig today. Made a 7 wrap, 2.5mm diam coil with 28 gauge nickel wire and put it in my Kanger Subtank head with KGD cotton wick.

It started at 0.15 ohms and a couple of draws later it dropped to 0.13 ohms, where it's stayed for the next 40 (approximately) draws so far. It's vaping well, MUCH better than the prebuilt 0.15 ohm OCC nickel heads. I'm using 370 degrees and 15 watts on my Heatvape Invader Mini. Only after looking at the picture do I see that two coils are touching, but it's working well and I won't mess with it until it's not working right.

View attachment 467157

Looking good for your 1st nickel build. That stuff is soft and squishy. I wouldn't be concerned of it dropping Ωs a bit as long as it stays stable. As to the touching coils - I use a sewing needle inserted gently between the touching coils. 1st from one side, then the other if need be. You can control how much you open/separate the coil wrap depending how far you insert the needle. That works well for me w/ nickel and kanthal coils spaced wraps that are too close.

Good evening porchfam, it's me again once again, I have some new info on my dad and we've had some epiphanies and breakthroughs/realizations.

He's a lung-hitter. He's part of that tiny population that drags off a cigarette straight to the lungs. What's more, he's a "holder-inner" lol... he doesn't do a strong exhale. He sort of holds in the smoke. I realize he's in maybe the 1% of smokers, this shocked me too, but after working with him and a lot of trial and error we've now at least figured this much out.

This makes the evod type setups he's using pretty crappy, the airflow is almost non-existant. I need to get him a good lung hit type setup with airflow and vapor, but he's slow to learn with new things like this(trust me I try very patiently.) He needs a device with no external battery and simple controls, good vapor and not a hot vape. Maybe a Cool Fire IV plus a decent tank? Sorry I'm rambling but I just wanted to share that we figured out why his vaping was less than satisfactory. I greatly look forward to my porchfolk chiming in, thank you guys, have a great evening! :D

Another suggestion for the Kanger Sub-Tank mini - it can work well for lung hits as it's has adjustable air control.

Spent an hour or more hand coiling one of these clapton coils , which got me four inches.
Then I cut it in half and one half flew away and spent the next 45 mins or so trying to find it.

Wow - you've got some patience to do one of those coils. But honestly - after the work - does it really significantly improve your vape?

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Hey Porchers.... I'm trying to find some of the historical threads - I want to go back and see what was "popular" back in the day. I went down the cig-alike path back in 2010, but it just didn't stick. I came across the archive some time ago, but can't seem to find it :(

I'm waxing nostalgic this evening....

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Hey Porchers.... I'm trying to find some of the historical threads - I want to go back and see what was "popular" back in the day. I went down the cig-alike path back in 2010, but it just didn't stick. I came across the archive some time ago, but can't seem to find it :(

Try here. The 4075 subforum hasn't been posted in since June 2010.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
From a fruit company?
E-CIGS SAFE?
Guess we won't be buying Dole. Iffy's post didn't come up but if anyone looked at his likes, Dole says (according to some such study) that your DNA will will be changed within something like 30 minutes of taking a drag. Explains why I've never been abducted by aliens.
dance3.gif

My gallons are getting a little low so I pulled this up, that is crazy low price for good stuff. I picked up some of the 4oz tfa ry4 and cdc, I already have have enough nic for the zombie apocalypse so I guess I'm good for a while.

glyCUBE - 2 Gallons Propylene Glycol & 2 Gallons Vegetable Glycerin.: Essential Depot

So how you maniacs doing anyway?
I wish these places would step up to the plate and say what their VG is made from. I know I'm the rare bird that had problems with one brand but it'd be nice to know what it was in it that made me wheeze (badly). I'm guessing it was coconut but now I'm stuck with the one "brand" that I know is safe for me. These sales are killing me! :cry: Congrats to anyone who was able to snag some!

Nope , Found it under a sleeping bag rolled up on a chair.
LOL, at least it was creative about where it landed. Normally it seems like everything just rolls under the couch or your foot. Had to look up Clapton coil. Impressed Wolf!

This thread is pretty cool and has been going for almost two years. I remember back in the day... | E-Cigarette Forum

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Pepe-Le-Pew-And-Penelope-pepe-le-pew-23792333-500-239.jpg

Mike and Janet, HAPPY 45th ANNIVERSARY!!! Janet, very pleased to hear your kitchen is finally finished. You guys are having us all over for dinner, right?

The petition now stands at 15,504. :)

Where is everybody? Leaving Frenchfry snoring in his rocker and tiptoeing out.

mmsjs5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Illinois
I'm packing for a trip! :) We (my daughter, 4 y/o gdaughter, 3 sons and me...6 of us) are going to have a weekend of fun.

I haven't taken off a weekend since November 2009 for my daughter's Army graduation. My oldest (almost 30) decided that instead of staying closer to home (which is what I was thinking), that we should go to Chicago and then on to SixFlags, for my very rare weekend off.

Onto the vape related part....I have never had to think about what to travel with, since I was still a smoker in 2009. I learned of vaping shortly after my return from that trip. Anyway, I think I'm going to travel with my iStick 20's (4). Nice and compact, no battery cases to take up extra space, no bulky charger needed (even a 2 bay charger takes more room than the iStick) , and the charging cable works with my phone too. :) I don't even think about all this stuff when I'm using it at home. Provari's are very nice, but the enclosed batteries of the iSticks make them more packing space friendly.

Thanks for reading! :)

Oh, and I'm using full size Nautili ;) on the iSticks.

AND I also have to say, I miss you all when you are too busy IRL. When I started this post, the last one made was around 1:30 this morning.

Soooooo, GET TO IT! PLEASE :D

Last edited:

kariM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Lethbridge, AB, CA
Well hopefully someone will be along in the next few hours. I received my (runner up) prizes from the 15 millionth post contest today. I won an Astro Mod as well as a Coffebum case for an iStick. Coffebum not only sent the black carbon case that I selected but also a lovely bright pink case. Great job by SmokeyJoe, Flushdraw and all of ECF and the vendors.

Now onto what I need from all those with knowledge about mechanical mods - cause I have no knowledge other that that I am happy to now have one - since I have read for some time that having a mechanical is good for whatever may happen.......

So - it appears that this takes an 18650 battery - I have two gray Panasonic CGR18650CH IMR Hybrid 2250mAh - I am assuming this battery will work. Really dummy with stuff like this - which is why I have avoided getting a mechanical. So I need instruction - putting the battery in - positive up towards the end with the 510 connection?

As well I am also guessing that once the battery is in - I push on the bottom to vape - correct o_O

Last - I need to make sure to not run the battery down to low - also do I need to check battery voltage before putting it in if is fully charged?

I guess I probably need to get the multimeter that I have never used out and try to figure that out too :eek: since I just use my eVic or iTaste to check the ohms on the few coils that I do build.

Oh - and any other needed advice is also very welcome. Thanks

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I'm packing for a trip! :) We (my daughter, 4 y/o gdaughter, 3 sons and me...6 of us) are going to have a weekend of fun.

I haven't taken off a weekend since November 2009 for my daughter's Army graduation. My oldest (almost 30) decided that instead of staying closer to home (which is what I was thinking), that we should go to Chicago and then on to SixFlags, for my very rare weekend off.

Onto the vape related part....I have never had to think about what to travel with, since I was still a smoker in 2009. I learned of vaping shortly after my return from that trip. Anyway, I think I'm going to travel with my iStick 20's (4). Nice and compact, no battery cases to take up extra space, no bulky charger needed (even a 2 bay charger takes more room than the iStick) , and the charging cable works with my phone too. :) I don't even think about all this stuff when I'm using it at home. Provari's are very nice, but the enclosed batteries of the iSticks make them more packing space friendly.

Thanks for reading! :)

Oh, and I'm using full size Nautili ;) on the iSticks.

AND I also have to say, I miss you all when you are too busy IRL. When I started this post, the last one made was around 1:30 this morning.

Soooooo, GET TO IT! PLEASE :D

Nice! Sounds like a fun packet weekend for you and 'the gang'. Enjoy! :thumbs:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Well hopefully someone will be along in the next few hours. I received my (runner up) prizes from the 15 millionth post contest today. I won an Astro Mod as well as a Coffebum case for an iStick. Coffebum not only sent the black carbon case that I selected but also a lovely bright pink case. Great job by SmokeyJoe, Flushdraw and all of ECF and the vendors.

Now onto what I need from all those with knowledge about mechanical mods - cause I have no knowledge other that that I am happy to now have one - since I have read for some time that having a mechanical is good for whatever may happen.......

So - it appears that this takes an 18650 battery - I have two gray Panasonic CGR18650CH IMR Hybrid 2250mAh - I am assuming this battery will work. Really dummy with stuff like this - which is why I have avoided getting a mechanical. So I need instruction - putting the battery in - positive up towards the end with the 510 connection?

As well I am also guessing that once the battery is in - I push on the bottom to vape - correct o_O

Last - I need to make sure to not run the battery down to low - also do I need to check battery voltage before putting it in if is fully charged?

I guess I probably need to get the multimeter that I have never used out and try to figure that out too :eek: since I just use my eVic or iTaste to check the ohms on the few coils that I do build.

Yep - that Panny 18650 will be fine. You don't have to be real particular about the batt unless you're planning on using sub-ohm coils.

Yep - positive end of the batt 'up' toward the 510 connection of the tube.

Yep - push the button to vape. See how it works. Some of the bottom button mods like a little side pressure pushing the button into the inside of the tube as your firing it to get a solid connection.

Nope - if you know the batt is fully charged, insert and vape.

You do want to get to know when the vape quality drops off, which is an indicator that the batt is getting low. Pay attention to your juice level while vaping w/ respect to when the vape drops off indicating you should switch batts. You can use the 'that' - how much juice you've vaped as another indicator as to when its time to switch batts.

You can either get either an inexpensive DVM or one of those voltmeter gadgets that screw onto the mod to check voltage. The DVM is more versatile - but the 'gadget' is more convenient to use on a mech mod.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
... it appears that this takes an 18650 battery - I have two gray Panasonic CGR18650CH IMR Hybrid 2250mAh - I am assuming this battery will work...

... positive up towards the end with the 510 connection?

As well I am also guessing that once the battery is in - I push on the bottom to vape - correct?

Yes, yes and yes with your current toppers. Da last yes is assuming ya meant a PV (wid a magnetic switch)...
toothy.gif

Most batts nowadays will shut off at a min voltage fer self preservation purposes.

At your stage in vaping, don't sweat a multimeter. Actually, with most current PVs (with ohms, voltage & batt status capabilities) they are more accurate than da ol' el cheapo meters.

Congrats on your prizes!
thumbsup.gif

ETA: Never mind, Mike has ya covered...

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
awwwwww that's wonderful! Hope y'all have a ton of fun! You deserve it after all you've been through.

well I see Mike and Iffy have you covered. As long as you're not sub ohming those pannies will be fine. But.....I'd definitely get a multimeter to check your batts, and you can also use it to check ohms. With a mech, you're using the top portion of your battery charge only, in order to make your watts. I use a thing sort of like this Green DC 0 30V 2 Wire LED Display Digital Voltage Voltmeter Panel Car Motorcycle | eBay and when the vape drops off, I check to see if the battery has dropped below 3.9 if it hasn't, then I look for other reasons why the vape is weak. Such as, it might be arcing. I'd go check out some threads in the mech mods forums, cuz there are some things to learn about using mech mods that are much different than using regulated mods. Congrats on your prizes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread