Not open for further replies.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
awwwwww that's wonderful! Hope y'all have a ton of fun! You deserve it after all you've been through.

well I see Mike and Iffy have you covered. As long as you're not sub ohming those pannies will be fine. But.....I'd definitely get a multimeter to check your batts, and you can also use it to check ohms. With a mech, you're using the top portion of your battery charge only, in order to make your watts. I use a thing sort of like this Green DC 0 30V 2 Wire LED Display Digital Voltage Voltmeter Panel Car Motorcycle | eBay and when the vape drops off, I check to see if the battery has dropped below 3.9 if it hasn't, then I look for other reasons why the vape is weak. Such as, it might be arcing. I'd go check out some threads in the mech mods forums, cuz there are some things to learn about using mech mods that are much different than using regulated mods. Congrats on your prizes!

Curious I am ... what's the Ω's on your coil builds. I like mine around 1Ω to 1.2Ω on a mech. And I usually find myself swapping batts when they drop to 3.6-3.7volts. Sure - not as 'strong' a vape at that level but still decent. I'd constantly be swapping batts if I changed them at 3.9 volts.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Curious I am ... what's the Ω's on your coil builds. I like mine around 1Ω to 1.2Ω on a mech. And I usually find myself swapping batts when they drop to 3.6-3.7volts. Sure - not as 'strong' a vape at that level but still decent. I'd constantly be swapping batts if I changed them at 3.9 volts.
I do dual coils that net about 1.0 to 1.3 It just drops off around that point and isn't as good to me. No biggie to swap out that batts though.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I do dual coils that net about 1.0 to 1.3 It just drops off around that point and isn't as good to me. No biggie to swap out that batts though.

Well ain't no body gonna call you a tootle puffer. :vapor:

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I do long slow lung hits on a 2 ohm bored out Evod on a 650 ma ego. Tootles can lung hit too, we just just tootle along and do not get in a big rush about it.
I even let up on the button for an instant a couple of times to keep the ego from timing out on me.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Most batts nowadays will shut off at a min voltage fer self preservation purposes.

Is that so?

I always thought it was the electronics in mods that monitored the batt and shut down at low voltage not the batt monitoring itself for low voltage.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Is that so?

I always thought it was the electronics in mods that monitored the batt and shut down at low voltage not the batt monitoring itself for low voltage.
Hehehehe. I'm sure that was what iffy meant. :)

kariM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Lethbridge, AB, CA
Yep - that Panny 18650 will be fine. You don't have to be real particular about the batt unless you're planning on using sub-ohm coils.

Yep - positive end of the batt 'up' toward the 510 connection of the tube.

Yep - push the button to vape. See how it works. Some of the bottom button mods like a little side pressure pushing the button into the inside of the tube as your firing it to get a solid connection.

Nope - if you know the batt is fully charged, insert and vape.

You do want to get to know when the vape quality drops off, which is an indicator that the batt is getting low. Pay attention to your juice level while vaping w/ respect to when the vape drops off indicating you should switch batts. You can use the 'that' - how much juice you've vaped as another indicator as to when its time to switch batts.

You can either get either an inexpensive DVM or one of those voltmeter gadgets that screw onto the mod to check voltage. The DVM is more versatile - but the 'gadget' is more convenient to use on a mech mod.
Thank you very much. Sorry I am so slow getting back about this. Celebrating my daughter's 27th birthday - so had her and her husband and my son and his girlfriend over for dinner.

I have installed the battery and it is vaping fine. Not too sure about the bottom button pushing - it will take some getting used to compared to what I normally vape with.

I do have a digital multimeter and I watched a few videos to figure out how to use it. Checked the battery and it was 4.22 after a full charge - so I just need to get a feel for when it will need to be charged again.

Yes, yes and yes with your current toppers. Da last yes is assuming ya meant a PV (wid a magnetic switch)...
toothy.gif

Most batts nowadays will shut off at a min voltage fer self preservation purposes.

At your stage in vaping, don't sweat a multimeter. Actually, with most current PVs (with ohms, voltage & batt status capabilities) they are more accurate than da ol' el cheapo meters.

Congrats on your prizes!
thumbsup.gif

ETA: Never mind, Mike has ya covered...
Thank you too. Yes I did mean pressing the button on the bottom of the Astro Mod.

I am just a tad confused :confused:(but that is quite normal) I thought the difficult part of using a mechanical is that it doesn't have the electronics to tell you when the battery is low and needs to be charged.

Since my iSticks, MVP, VTR and eVic all let me know when the battery is getting low - so even though I keep an eye on them - there have been times that I have vaped them until they shut down or lock. So it is my understanding that a mechanical mod won't do this and if I let the battery get to low - it will ruin the battery. If I have this wrong - please let me know.

I do have a digital multimeter - I had just never used it :lol: had to dig it out of the closet and watch a few Youtube videos on how to use it.

well I see Mike and Iffy have you covered. As long as you're not sub ohming those pannies will be fine. But.....I'd definitely get a multimeter to check your batts, and you can also use it to check ohms. With a mech, you're using the top portion of your battery charge only, in order to make your watts. I use a thing sort of like this Green DC 0 30V 2 Wire LED Display Digital Voltage Voltmeter Panel Car Motorcycle | eBay and when the vape drops off, I check to see if the battery has dropped below 3.9 if it hasn't, then I look for other reasons why the vape is weak. Such as, it might be arcing. I'd go check out some threads in the mech mods forums, cuz there are some things to learn about using mech mods that are much different than using regulated mods. Congrats on your prizes!

Thank you too Deb - no sub ohming here. I think the lowest coil I have is 1.8 ;) see above - on the multimeter I will be going to have a look at some forums on mech mods - however I am not 100% how much I will be using this one - just kind of glad to have it in case the vaping world as we know it changes.

Figured I would include a few pictures - so the Astro Mod is in the middle and the Coffeebum cases with my iStick 20 and iStick 30. I am pretty sure I will find a time when they will come in handy. :)

24ee35h.jpg

16k0x7s.jpg

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
As said, Kari, when the strength of the vape starts to decline, check or change the battery. And also as mentioned, if you start a fresh battery with a full topper, you'll start to get a feel for how much you can vape before needing to swap. (Assuming that all your 18650s are the same mAh rating and condition.... :facepalm:) You don't want to run them below about 3.2, but even in my regulated mods I usually swap them out around 3.6ish. Probably in a mech you'll see some degradation of performance around that voltage, since there's no electronics to maintain the desired power level

When using your multi-meter for resistance, use the lowest ohm scale. Short the leads - i.e. touch their ends together - and note the reading. That's the value of the meter leads themselves. Then read your coil and subtract the lead resistance. (Higher end meters have a "rel" button - you short the leads and press it, and the electronics in the meter will automatically do the subtraction for you until you turn the meter off. Don't know about your meter, but if it has a REL button, that's what it's for :) )

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
And do be aware that some mechs may fire if standing on their bottom switch. Depends on the total mass (mod, battery, topper) and the strength of the the spring or magnets... and the presence or absence of a switch lock.
I dropped Num-num (Nemesis) yesterday. I had three magnets in her, one of which was already broken. Another broke in the fall. Put the spring back in. With the magnets, I can stand her up without firing. With the spring, I can't. There were several other things damaged in the fall, but I got them all fixed.

I discovered, however, that the lock ring only needs to be turned a little bit for the difference between firing and not firing, so all is good.

kariM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Lethbridge, AB, CA
And do be aware that some mechs may fire if standing on their bottom switch. Depends on the total mass (mod, battery, topper) and the strength of the the spring or magnets... and the presence or absence of a switch lock.

Thanks for the help. I have been doing some research and did discover that the Astro does have a lock switch. It will also stand without firing. The good news is I figured out how to use the multimeter to test the battery - so now just have to see how long I can vape on it before needing to charge.

I do have two of the same kind of 18650 - so switching them is not an issue and I have enough other devices that I should have no issues while charging a battery.

Since you never know how long the devices with internal batteries will last and I really do like my iStick20 & iStick30 - it will be nice to know that I have another backup should these fail. I thought my eVic or VTR would be there if I needed them - however I have had a few issues with both of them in last few months. They are both still working - but you never know :)

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Yep, having reliable hardware is important!

That's how I justify my shinyitis :facepalm:

Me too - I'm happy w/ my collection of mech mods and RBAs. So now I don't mind the convenience of small 'disposal' mods like the iSticks, etc. Until I acquired some good mechs and V/VW mods I had no desire to purchase relatively inexpensive mods w/ built in batts.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Why buy something with internal electronics when all you need to do is drip in a kick (which is replaceable)?

No! No! you don't want to drip in a kick - you'll fry the board. Oh never mind, its replaceable. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread