Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Well, there IS a sticky on the whole subject...

But I'm not sure I want the FDA involved in the testing. Aren't most of their labs funded by BT and BP?

And, as I understand it, any source of the chemicals in question are liable to be from the flavors, not the PG, VG or nic, and the juice makers have to rely on what the flavor makers tell them....

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Well, there IS a sticky on the whole subject...

But I'm not sure I want the FDA involved in the testing. Aren't most of their labs funded by BT and BP?

And, as I understand it, any source of the chemicals in question are liable to be from the flavors, not the PG, VG or nic, and the juice makers have to rely on what the flavor makers tell them....
Yeas but only the buttery and creamy flavorings have the bad stuff in them. Still plenty of options and some substitutes. Buyt those diektones are sure tasty.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Not to open a can of worms, or to assault those who prefer not to think about, but I have the need to share my opinion with y'all. I posted it on my FB page as follows:

During all my years of smoking I was not interested in knowing what it was about commercial cigarettes that was killing me, but now that my health has improved thanks to vaping, I sure want to avoid those flavorings which contain either diacetyl or acetylpropionyl. Acetylpropionyl is also known as acetyl propionyl, 2,3-pentanedione, or simply AP.

Diacetyl and AP are generally found in buttery-type flavorings, and there is no doubt that they have caused a fatal condition known as popcorn lung in an alarmingly high number of people who work in the flavoring industry, popcorn-making industry and coffee-roasting industry.

Kudos to a company called Vaporshark, which has paid to test and HAS PUBLISHED THE TEST RESULTS for every single one of the 200+ different e-liquids that they sell. This self-policing has aroused the ire of some flavor manufacturers, and has caused some others to outright lie about using ingredients that contain diacetly or AP.

A frightening number of the e-liquids contain frighteningly high amounts of these two undesirable chemicals.

It's my understanding that it cost about $100 for each of the e-liquids to be tested, meaning that Vaporshark invested approximately $20K to have the testing done. Thank you, Vaporshark!

Armed with the facts, I can avoid using any flavorings that contains diacetyl or AP.
http://www.scribd.com/…/2689749…/VaporShark-E-Liquid-Testing

Good for VaporShark and the other vendors testing an publishing the results.

There's a big feud going on between Cloud9 Vaping (a reseller of 5 Pawns juice) and 5 Pawns. Cloud9 released their test results showing high levels in 5 Pawns juice. 5 Pawns claims by their own testing that there is minimal amounts of the bad stuff. hmmm? Who's right?

Cloud9 took down the results the published when 5 Pawns lawyers threatened a law suit. Haven't followed the brouhaha since then. Don't know where it stands now.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Good for VaporShark and the other vendors testing an publishing the results.

There's a big feud going on between Cloud9 Vaping (a reseller of 5 Pawns juice) and 5 Pawns. Cloud9 released their test results showing high levels in 5 Pawns juice. 5 Pawns claims by their own testing that there is minimal amounts of the bad stuff. hmmm? Who's right?

Cloud9 took down the results the published when 5 Pawns lawyers threatened a law suit. Haven't followed the brouhaha since then. Don't know where it stands now.
According to some UK, EU and Canadian vapers postings many retailers in Canada and the EU are no longer selling 5P juice.
Several threads on the subject not wanting to bring it on here.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Wasted $10 on coil jig that is not well-designed and doesn't do a particularly good job. I figured I was saving a few bucks... not.

Found a guy on Ebay selling the Coil Master for the same price, $10, (including shipping) as the coil jig I wasted my money on. The Coil Master is very thoughtfully designed. Made this 12 wrap 26g Ni200 coil with 1.5mm diameter coils. Totally useless to me since it only has 0.05 ohms of resistance but it did come out purty.

13w26gNickelOnePointFive_mm_pointZeroFiveOhms.jpg

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
One of the guys that I work showed me how to build a coil tonight. Yeah okay, so I'm miles behind everybody else. What else is new? :p He GAVE to me a Kayfun V4!!! He showed me how to build the coil and wick it....AND gave me wire and cotton. I had NO idea this would be a totally new experience!! I'm in Vape Heaven right now.
Awesome, glad you're liking it. That was really nice of...
jcarson3.jpg

... chopdoc?

@FlamingoTutu I was thinking of you earlier today. I made a trip to my favorite B&M and on a whim picked up some discounted juice. I loaded it in one of my Kanger Subtank Minis and really am enjoying it. It is called Comfortable Numb. Here is how they describe it:
COMFORTABLY NUMB: This premium liquid blend will help you forget your troubles!
An all new organic watermelon front with several different creams to smooth it out then finished with a little shot of ice to cool it down. Not a menthol really, created to be enjoyed by both menthol and non-menthol vapors the same. Overall a very nice refreshing creamy cool fruit vape!
It isn't Watermelon Bubblegum, but is good none the less.
Glad you're enjoying it. :) Wish I was comfortably numb, lol. Never would have thought to add a cream flavor(s) to it. I had to give up my watermelon bubblegum. :cry: Just a guess that the sweetener was causing major issues. I take a couple puffs a day but no more than that. When I get a little braver again I'll look into the flavor ingredients and see if I can tweak it to something I can handle.

Not to open a can of worms, or to assault those who prefer not to think about, but I have the need to share my opinion with y'all. I posted it on my FB page as follows:

During all my years of smoking I was not interested in knowing what it was about commercial cigarettes that was killing me, but now that my health has improved thanks to vaping, I sure want to avoid those flavorings which contain either diacetyl or acetylpropionyl. Acetylpropionyl is also known as acetyl propionyl, 2,3-pentanedione, or simply AP.

Diacetyl and AP are generally found in buttery-type flavorings, and there is no doubt that they have caused a fatal condition known as popcorn lung in an alarmingly high number of people who work in the flavoring industry, popcorn-making industry and coffee-roasting industry.

Kudos to a company called Vaporshark, which has paid to test and HAS PUBLISHED THE TEST RESULTS for every single one of the 200+ different e-liquids that they sell. This self-policing has aroused the ire of some flavor manufacturers, and has caused some others to outright lie about using ingredients that contain diacetly or AP.

A frightening number of the e-liquids contain frighteningly high amounts of these two undesirable chemicals.

It's my understanding that it cost about $100 for each of the e-liquids to be tested, meaning that Vaporshark invested approximately $20K to have the testing done. Thank you, Vaporshark!

Armed with the facts, I can avoid using any flavorings that contains diacetyl or AP.
http://www.scribd.com/…/2689749…/VaporShark-E-Liquid-Testing
Most excellent post Bells! :thumbs:

Smokey Joe wrote a good article/blog about it here if you guys haven't seen it Confused about diacetyl? You should be | Vaping.com

Hope you all had a great 4th!

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Wasted $10 on coil jig that is not well-designed and doesn't do a particularly good job. I figured I was saving a few bucks... not.

Found a guy on Ebay selling the Coil Master for the same price, $10, (including shipping) as the coil jig I wasted my money on. The Coil Master is very thoughtfully designed. Made this 12 wrap 26g Ni200 coil with 1.5mm diameter coils. Totally useless to me since it only has 0.05 ohms of resistance but it did come out purty.

View attachment 469340

Well you made a dang nice looking coil. Maybe you could mount it in shadow box and hang it by your vape gear.

Seriously - move up to a 3mm coil and space the wraps. Most people have issues w/ compressed (touching) micro coils when using nickel.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Well you made a dang nice looking coil. Maybe you could mount it in shadow box and hang it by your vape gear.

Seriously - move up to a 3mm coil and space the wraps. Most people have issues w/ compressed (touching) micro coils when using nickel.
Maybe I'll get a duck head to hang the coil on. :)

Really I just wanted to see how well the Coil Master worked. No complaints at all!

The coil I made with 28 gauge Nickel and the crummy coil jig is still going strong and remains constant at 0.13 ohms. I think I've been using it for over a week and I've vaped about 15 ml of juice with it. I'm not figuring out why people say that nickel coils are unstable and that they have no longevity. Maybe I just got lucky.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
How did you know it was chopdoc????
He was talking about it, not by name, on another thread. Gave it to a coworker, at night, woman that wanted to learn how to wrap coils, so on and so forth. You guys are from the same state, happened on the same night, same topper involved, he goes by the name of “chopdoce.” Who else could it be? I didn’t say a word over there but tell chopdoc all us old farts think that was a fantastically awesome thing to do and he now has a honorary, lifetime, non-declinable membership on the geezer porches. :D

Really I just wanted to see how well the Coil Master worked. No complaints at all!

The coil I made with 28 gauge Nickel and the crummy coil jig is still going strong and remains constant at 0.13 ohms. I think I've been using it for over a week and I've vaped about 15 ml of juice with it. I'm not figuring out why people say that nickel coils are unstable and that they have no longevity. Maybe I just got lucky.

Isn't that what Legs said right before he gave up on nickel? Don't ask me which time it was before he quit. Anyway, glad it's working. :lol: @ the video.

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX

Are you saying that contact coils are working for you in TC? A friend loaned me a 50W Invader with a Derringer and some 30g tempered Ni200, and I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed, so far. I just can't keep coils in it. I don't think that 30g is up to the task of running 450 degrees and 45W. I ordered some tempered 28, so I'll give it a try. I'm just not getting more than a couple of days out of a coil right now. I have built with spaced coils, and once with contact coil. I couldn't tell if either was better than the other as they just didn't last that long.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Are you saying that contact coils are working for you in TC? A friend loaned me a 50W Invader with a Derringer and some 30g tempered Ni200, and I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed, so far. I just can't keep coils in it. I don't think that 30g is up to the task of running 450 degrees and 45W. I ordered some tempered 28, so I'll give it a try. I'm just not getting more than a couple of days out of a coil right now. I have built with spaced coils, and once with contact coil. I couldn't tell if either was better than the other as they just didn't last that long.

So what goes wrong with your coils?

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
Those 30 g coils just end up giving up after a couple of days. One leg will always break. I've gotten used to dual coils in my mechanicals, and my friend is introducing me to TC and I'm liking it, but maybe the temp and wattage that works for me might be more than that thin wire can do. I've ordered some 28g and I'll see if that doesn't hold up a little better.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Those 30 g coils just end up giving up after a couple of days. One leg will always break. I've gotten used to dual coils in my mechanicals, and my friend is introducing me to TC and I'm liking it, but maybe the temp and wattage that works for me might be more than that thin wire can do. I've ordered some 28g and I'll see if that doesn't hold up a little better.

Nickel is soft and it's somewhat easy to damage the legs when tightening the screws to hold it in place. On one of my drippers I was either breaking the leg when installing or it would break after being in use. I lightly sanded the end of the screw to get rid of sharp edges and had better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread