Older People - 55 years and up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokemiester

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2011
Lawng Island, NooYawk
Took my first "inhale" at 9yrs. old (fell flat on my back, gaspin' for air)...now any numbnuts might get a clue,
but I kept at it 'till I "got it right". Well, 45yrs PAD / 4mos. vapin' and I'll never look back.
Funny thing is, anyone remember those idiotic fake cigs that did absolutely nothing but where supposed to
help you stop LOL. I always thought it would be great if they actually produced something but didn't KILL you.
Got my wish....62yrs. 'an maybe I'll see more than I ever would have.

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
mattiem, Yes that is the way it was for me too. the Doctors and nurses smoke also teachers. They smoked every where, stores hospitals, elevators it did not matter. Both parents smoked in the car all the time. I smoked for years and years and was up to 3 packs a day. Quit and after 5 years took up cigars and smoked 5 to 6 a day, and that was the big ones. Have not smoked anything in over a year since. Now all of you know how bad cigars smell so I never smoked them in the house and would smoke on the deck in summer and in the garage in winter with a heater and my coat on. How nice now that I feel so much better and no smoke smell on me or house or car. My wife is thankful too as she put up with it in the car with the windows cracked in the winter and that did not help much for the smell or the smoke. I am 67 years old, wish I was younger and so it goes. LOL

Della Cirque

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2011
Deep East Texas

Sorry, I just can't resist reading the stories, and it feels good to be called a young 'un at 39.
Plus I've been trying to get my 2 PAD Mom to give vaping a real try, and think some of your success stories will be very encouraging to her. (she coughs uncontrollably with every draw.:()

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
I'm still NOT READY to be one of the "older" ones. C'mon everybody. I feel too young. I just got back from watching my son's blue grass band perform, had 3 Long Island ice teas, and danced my little heart out( thanks to vaping). I am not ready for geriatric jokes, nor am I ready to discuss medicare or pension plans. LOL :)

n9emz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2012
Florida Space Coast
home.bluemarble.net
I'm just a few days shy of 66 and telling this story floods my soul with warm nostalgia. Way back when I was five, my moms and pops smoked non-filter Camels out of separate cartons they kept on top of the refrigerator. Pops was a real sport; always dressed to the nines with a Camel hanging from his lips....nothing in the world I wanted to be more than just like my pops. So, I began dragging a kitchen chair over to the fridge and swiping a pack from one of their cartons, alternating from one to the other to keep from getting caught. I had hollowed out a fort in a bulldozed pile of palmetto stumps and hid my cigs and matches there.

For nearly a year I witnessed some hellacious argument between my folks accusing each other of filching packs from their respective cartons. The second time the volunteer fire department had to come out and put out fires in the woods by the house, they discovered my stash and it wasn't hard for pops to figure out what was going on. First, he made me eat a whole pack of Camels at the dinner table....the results weren't pretty. Plan B was his buying me my own carton and ignoring my smoking, thinking my actions were an attention issue and I'd soon tire of it. He just didn't realize the "hero" issue.

Next year I started school and always had a pack and matches with me. I got caught numerous times and had to take notes home, but that only resulted in return notes that really teed off my teachers. Making things worse was Pop's Casbah; a teen soda fountain hang-out spot right on the edge of grammar school grounds. If you had a nickel, you could buy two Chesterfield Kings and a mini-book of matches and you were allowed to puff tough on the premises.

I carried cigarettes with me to school right through graduation. Eau Gallie Junior High School was pretty tough on us when caught, but by then I was a good and creative forger and they didn't investigate beyond the point where I handed their notes back the next day signed by "one of my folks." Those were the beginning of the really cool years for smoking. We'd dash out to a cleared patch of brush behind the school and light up. We didn't deceive ourselves we were unobserved. With the thick cloud of smoke that hung over that spot off and on all day it couldn't possibly be a secret. School authorities ignored us because we were away from the school grounds proper.

Melbourne High was a different story. Baseball was my thing and anyone caught smoking would be ruled ineligible for all extracurricular activities. I had smokes in my locker and my coaches knew I smoked, but I played by the rules on school grounds and during away games. I transferred to Leesburg High in my sophomore year and they couldn't have cared less. I rode a loud motorcycle, illegally parked my bike and car in the teachers' parking lot (you weren't allowed to drive to school until junior year), I wore levis, tee-shirts and engineer boots and it would only have been viewed as odd if I didn't smoke. I didn't know very many guys and gals in high school who didn't smoke....just about everyone in my crowd did.

Since back then I only once gave serious consideration to quitting cigs. In 2006, I and a co-worker friend (whom I recently talked into switching to vaping) spent several hundred on an unsuccessful hypnosis gig. What a joke and I mean no disrespect to those who've undergone hypnosis successfully and quit. It's like my doctor(s) said all those years, "You'll quit when you really want to quit." Good luck on that because I've always thoroughly enjoyed smoking. That didn't change when my pops was diagnosed with terminal cancer in late November, 2010.

On December 12, 2010 I unplugged early from my career in Indiana and by the 21st I was in a house back home within an hour of him. From then until he passed on at age 90 on April 10, 2011, me and pops had the time of our lives; the most enjoyable 4-1/2 months over the whole course of my lifetime. During that entire period we shared non-filter Camels right up until a couple of hours before his death....he was tired and I hugged him and kissed him on the forehead before he went off to bed. He just went peacefully off to sleep and never reawakened. I miss pops very badly, but no sadness and grief here. He never did anything in his entire life that could tarnish the hero shine I still have for him and he went the way he wanted to on his own terms.

I continued smoking without much thought about it other than occasionally gazing at my lit cigarette wondering why I enjoyed them so damned much. In late November of last year I approached a lady I saw vaping and questioned her about it. She told me she'd been vaping for over a year, was now on flavor (wild cherry only), and had no trouble making the switch from analogs to PV. She told me she purchased her get-up online but there was an e-cig store at the local flea market that would allow me to try out different gear. The seed was planted in the back of my mind, and one weekend when I was about to drive by the flea market I stopped.

Nice people at the store; very knowledgeable and well-stocked with a variety of PVs, accessories, juices, etc. That was on January 6th last, when I tried the 24mg cartridge 510, loved it, and bought a 2-unit starter kit. Got home and naturally the wife had to weasel me out of one of them....both our batteries died simultaneously and I smoked a Camel while they were charging. The next day I bought the wife her own starter kit....she smoked her last analog after the first pull on the 510; I smoked another Camel four days later just out of curiosity and I haven't looked back.

My friends, I have found the PVs (we're on VECs and 510 tanks) to be far more satisfying than analogs and the only time I think about them is when someone asks how we're doing with the vaping. We regularly sit in a room surrounded by smokers and it never enters my mind....in fact, I like the smell of second hand smoke. People see us blowing huge vapor and are always asking us about the PVs. They seldom believe me when I tell them it's much more pleasurable and satisfying than cigarettes ever were. One qualification....I have an open pack of straight Camels and a Camel Zippo my pops gave me in my tool chest. On the 22nd, pops' birthday, I will fire one up and think about the times we shared, but no amount of cigarettes could ever replace my PV.

Thanks for sharing your stories and for your patience with this one.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
My brother and I always took one pack out of every new carton. We would remove one out of the bottom and then space the packs so it would appear to be a full carton. My dad never caught on to our little trick. It looks like I'm the elder of the crowd. I haven't seen anyone older than 71 yet.
:2cool::vapor:

Reactions: 3mg Meniere

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
Actually the first half of his story probably sounds like half of us. Sure brought back memories..., but still wish my mother had whooped my *&%$...

It wouldn't have made any difference at least it didn't with me! It was just the hand our generation was dealt. We got to experience a lot more good things than bad and the curse of the cigarette was probably one of the worse things. It really comes home to roost when I see all my friends and loved ones packing around oxygen bottles. I'm just thankful we were able to discover vaping even if it was a little late for some of us.
It certainly makes my life a lot better!:2cool::vapor:

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I used to buy my big sister cigarettes out of the gas station vending machine. Nobody said a word to me. I must have been 10 years old. I think they cost less than a quarter, because I remember the pack would come out with three pennies taped to it.

When I was 12 I started smoking. By high school I smoked a pack a day. I smoked for 36 years. Then, in 2001 I quit for 10 YEARS!!! Then I started bumming a cigarette occasionally. Next thing you know, I bought a pack, and next thing you know, I was addicted again. I only smoked again for about 6 months. But I really wanted to quit.

I looked online and was looking up Chantix, and somehow I found this forum. I stalked here for about a week. I started reading everything here I could, and boy let me tell you, it was confusing as all get out. I never realized it was so hard to figure out what to use to vape! After about two weeks, I bought a Kgo, and kept my pack of cigarettes in my car. After two months of vaping, I tossed the rest of the pack out. It just didn't taste good anymore, after how yummy the flavors are when you vape.

Thanks for starting this thread, Bluesman. It's nice to know there are so many of us oldsters here!
Sandy

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
My brother and I always took one pack out of every new carton. We would remove one out of the bottom and then space the packs so it would appear to be a full carton. My dad never caught on to our little trick.
:2cool::vapor:

Oh, I think you guys might be surprised!

When I was little, my stepdad (a raging alcoholic, but back then I just knew him as the man I adored...my daddy) used to have me get him beer out of the fridge, then send me back to the kitchen with the empty bottle to put in the case (back then you returned bottles and got money for them). Thing is, he always left just a tiny bit in the bottom of the bottle....kind of like I do with coffee...and I always drank it! lol! Boy, all those years I really thought I was getting by with something, then one day as a young adult, I told my dad the story of how he used to leave a little in each bottle and I always drank it...
He looked at me with a little twinkle in his eye and said
'why do you think I always left a little bit in the bottom of the bottle?' ;)

Gadd

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2010
ARKANSAS
Seems that I started smoking a little later than most of you. I had an occasional cigar and maybe a few drags off a .... when I was young, but I was into sports in high school, and didn't start smoking for real until I went in the Navy. It was kind of a rite of passage in those days, and it seemed that everyone that I knew in the service smoked. I was a hospital corpsman, and even the doctors and nurses smoked. By the time that I got back from that nasty little mess in southeast Asia, I was a true nicotine addict. Shoot, the government even gave us free cigarettes in the C-ration meals. Aboard ship we paid 10 cents a pack, so it was easy to get hooked. After my time in the service, I became a police officer. I would say that 90% of the cops smoked then. By the time that I retired, anyone that smoked was a pariah. Things did a lot of changing in the intervening years from high school to retirement. I am grateful that I have lived in a time period of extreme techno-growth. Computers, open heart surgery, smart phones, e-cigs etc, etc,etc.

Last edited:

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
This is one of those really beautiful threads that goes straight to the Heart..I have to confess I laughed and cried through all those wonderful posts, written by so many wonderful people.
Nothing I could add, my story is all of your stories.70 years Smoker for 52 years, but back when I started everyone smoked, even our GP. He had a cigarette burning in every consulting room, as he went from patient to patient. And the back of the Bus was for the smokers, you could smoke all you wanted if you sat in the back!-the trains had a smokers carriage for the smokers, (that carriage was always full- ) looking back there, everyone smoked and anyone complaining about smoking was labelled a crank-(how things have gone to the other ridiculous extreme !)
I started in my teens, and by the time I was 45 the smoking was beginning to make its effects felt, and by ten years later a bout of flu, or even a cold, would be really debilitating. I would wriggle and squirm when Drs suggested chest x rays, anything but that! But the flus became bronchitis, the bronchitis increasingly turned into pneumonia, puffers were routinely prescribed by now and it was obvious that I had one foot in the grave and the other one on a Banana skin, unless I stopped smoking,but I just couldnt! So I went through the routine we all did with the patches and everything else.. but eventually resigned myself
to being one who could never give up.
One evening I saw a Girl in the Mall waving a 510 around and that saved me! I knew what it was, but it was so difficult here in OZ to track them down, unless you know where to look. They arent illegal here but the Nic is illegal to sell-
Anyhow I did, so its one year this month for me as a non smoker..in that time I have not even had a cold, let alone flu or worse. I cling to my Egos and 510's though, although in that year my need for Nicotine has dropped dramatically withyout my even trying to cut it down,
My New Years wish is for the Man who invented the Ecig to be showered with honours and gratitude for what he has given to us all.

(Sorry this turned out to be so long..)

Last edited:

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
I'm 58, started smoking when I was 18. I remember when you could smoke anywhere, even the grocery. when I was young, even if nobody in your house smoked, if a smoker came to visit you offered an ashtray (ah the good old days) my father smoked, car windows rolled up etc. every one of his kids is in good health

I love(d) smoking. the only reason I quit was because of the money. DH (of 36 yrs) would not pay for cigs. and he complained all the time after we married...never bothered him while dating (very annoying that was). which is why he pays for all my vaping supplies <g>. I was never ashamed to be a smoker and I was and am in excellent health. when I ran across e-cigs on the net I ordered a disposable (I read here first) when I took the first hit I knew it was going to work for me. I still use a joye 510 like when I started a year ago this month.

VapRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2011
FL
Ah memories.
I used to take one from my moms mentol pack. Always only one. She was getting mad since my brother (1year older) of course had to take more then one at a time and that added up. Well lucky me she caught him and I was home free. So I thought.
First I got a beating from mom and as dad came home well you can guess hihi. But by that time I was already hooked.
Dad was more mad that we let us get caught and sometimes gave us a pack with 2 left and said throw this empty pack away boys will ya and smiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread