Older People - 55 years and up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnip

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
Australia
Thank you Turnip. Wonderful testimonial to the success of vaping. It truly is a life changing and life saving decision to start and stay on this journey. I am so happy to hear that you were able to get your hands on the equipment and supplies you needed.

Thank you Mattiem,
Took a bit of sluething only because I didnt really know where to start looking.. There are vendors here who sell hardware and juice,but we get the Nic from overseas.
Thus far the Zealots have left us alone pretty much. we had an incidence several months ago with cartos and nic confiscated
but no problems since.( Touch wood)

Bluesman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
PA USA
I was 13 years old when I started smoking. As has been said, that's just the way it was back then. (Do you remember Dean Martin on television with a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other?) My dad smoked Raleigh cigarettes (they had redeemable coupons), but I never really liked them. So, I just used my lunch money to buy cigarettes until I got a job.

It was in my late teens that I suffered life-threatening injuries. The transport personnel had me as a goner and doctors were preparing for my demise. But, I refused to die and made the doctors go to work. I spent three months in the hospital where I was put back together minus one arm. I was not disfigured, I still had my handsome face (ha-ha-he-he), but I was changed for life.

After those three months, I got out of the hospital and, guess what? I started to smoke cigarettes.

I fumbled around a little but then met the challenge head-on. Married a beautiful woman who has never smoked a cigarette in her life, became a successful and prosperous software engineer, and lived a happy life. My wife, who has always been my best friend, never nagged me about smoking. However, she did take the opportunities to tell me she wished I would quit. She has always meant the world to me and I am a strong-willed person - but I could not quit smoking.

Heart Attack. And, I swear, I'm just too dumb to die. While my wife called 911, I got dressed and walked outside to meet the ambulance.

I recovered from the heart attack, I lost 50 pounds (and still easily keep my slim and trim 150), and basically got back to a normal life. And, of course, that included smoking cigarettes.

I met a man at a baseball game last year who not only vaped, but was in the vaping business as well. He took me under his wing and made me his project. He taught me, guided me, and gave me support. For the first time in my life, someone was urging me to quit smoking and providing an acceptable alternative.

As with most of you, it took a little while, but I was able to stop smoking cigarettes. And today, I don't even want a cigarette. Vaping is different. But once you get the hang of it, it is far superior to cigarettes. At least for me it is.

I want to thank all of you for contributing to this thread - you are all wonderful people! Applause to everyone. Keep posting and keep on vaping.

txtumbleweed, you are the eldest. And for that you get one large bottle of Prune E-Juice from GeritolJuice.

Love all of you!

Last edited:

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
Great story Bluesman! All of these stories make me feel so ... I dunno ... at home. The world was a very different place when we were young and it built us as we are. I wouldn't want to go back, but it's nice to remember.

I just remembered something about when I was sneaking smokes as a young teen. By the time I came along my Mom and Dad had already had four kids, so they didn't freak out over my smoking. I would never have even known that I'd been caught if Mom hadn't dumped and cleaned the ashtray every week that I kept hidden in my underwear drawer. She just cleaned it and put it back.

AG51

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Dat Way →
If I promise to behave and not start a food fight, can I hang out with youz guyz? I really really don't want to sit at the kids' table.
I promise too Please :) I'm 51 and don't wanna sit at the kids table either :unsure: I SO WISH there were vaping back years ago !!! I've smoked too many years to remember but if there were ecigs back then 'Maybe' my husband wouldn't have COPD now. He stopped smoking when he was diagnosed but I took longer after that. He said many times he'd wished he knew of vaping a long time ago. He wouldn't be so sick and he would have enjoyed it :)

Oh and by the way, he's 64 so he sits at the Big peoples Table already :D

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
HEY, if it wasn't for some of the young bucks and buckettes here, I wouldn't be enjoying vaping as much as I do!
old.gif

toothy.gif

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Someone mentioned they wanted some "older person" humor. I just got this one the other day in an email from an old college friend. If it has been repeated many times before, then it will fit right in since our short term memory isn't what it use to be. If it offends anyone, I will apologize upfront but it really made me laugh. Oh, and I meet the requirement to attend this gathering:

PRICELESS

I took my dad to the mall the other day to buy some new shoes (he is 76).

We decided to grab a bite at the food court.

I noticed he was watching a teenager sitting next to him.

The teenager had spiked hair in all different colors - green, red,
orange, and blue.

My dad kept staring at her.

The teenager kept looking and would find my dad staring every time.

When the teenager had had enough, she sarcastically asked:
"What's the matter old man, never done anything wild in your life?"

Knowing my Dad, I quickly swallowed my food so that I would not
choke on his response; I knew he would have a good one!

In classic style he responded without batting an eyelid . ...

"Got stoned once and had sex with a parrot. I was just wondering if
you might be my kid?"

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
I am 58, smoked for 40+ years and have been smoke-free for 2 years now. I had tried to quit countless times and once I discovered vaping, it was so easy. I know its not that way for everyone, but for me--my last day of smoking was my last, literally. I prefer every aspect of vaping and have never been tempted since day 1 to have another analog. I ride to work with a smoker and we have an arrangement--he cracks his window when he smokes and I crack mine when I vape.
I don't think my vaping actually bothers him but he's tried to quit smoking about every other week since I've known him. He's too hard-headed to consider trying vaping. I've offered him some of my older mods just to get the feel of it, but he won't consider it. Goes in to the convenience store every morning, shells out 8 bucks for a hard-pack of Marlboros and good for the day. Hopefully one day..........

VapRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2011
FL
A friend of mine was the same hard headed way. Then I did a little trick. I stoped completely taking about vaping or him smoking. First I noticed he was a little irritated. The he went along and also stopped taking about my vaping. And what do you know one day he came and said ok let me try one of your vape things.Now he quit smoking and is vaping along with me.
I guess I pushed him too much at the beginbecause I wanted him to quit and stop killing himself.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
We actually don't talk about it--ever. I made the offer over a year ago to give him some of my vaping stuff, mentioned it a time or two shortly after and then shut my mouth. Since then, I know when he is in the "quitting mode" because he'll show up all twitchy, reaching for gum and his coffee cup every 30 seconds. I try to be a courteous person and I'll refrain from vaping in the pick-up when he's like this. I noticed that he really becomes animated if I vape at this time.:)
It doesn't bother me to not vape in the rig anyway--I never smoked in the crewcabs when I was a smoker.

Bluesman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
PA USA
Hmmm - who'd a thought that older folks could be hard-headed and set in their ways. :laugh:

I guess that's why I haven't met an old person on this thread yet. Everyone one here continues to move forward making changes to improve their life. Old people don't do that. I should have called this thread "Smart People - 55 years and up!"

AJMoore

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Here and back
Nothing special here, product of the 1950's. My dad smoked, all four siblings smoked, it just is. I continued for 41 years, found e-cigs, done. Not a puff since 12/23/2009 when my new toy (we're talking e-cigs) was charged.

Earlier pregnancy was mentioned. Back in my day we didn't quit for pregnancy, just kept on smoking. No ill effects for my offspring although all those years around my smoking and other family members she now has asthma and she has never smoked cigs in her life. Shameful for me.

I can't say enough good about e-cigs or this forum. I'm almost certain without ECF I would be puffin'. Now there is NO turning back. I'll never smoke again unless the FDA does something really stupid, which they are prone to do.

This would be a great thread to send to "the powers that be" (FDA, AMA, etc).

bbb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2010
Florida
I'll be 59 in a few weeks, a 3 yr vaper and and a 40 yr ex-smoker, proud to say ... 5 yrs ago had heart surgery, had both knees totally replaced, I'm diabetic with plenty of neuropathy, have pre-cancerous Barretts esophagus, had prostate surgery last year, plus a couple other minor maladies requiring meds ... I've been pretty used up over the years

when I quit tobacco and started vaping, the improvement in my over-all health was dramatic, and I must emphasize dramatic ... my health has been improving each of the last 3 years, glad to be a living part of the community and I sign, petition, call, join and promote a healthier vaping whenever I can ... thanks to those that taught us and good for them that we can teach

Bluesman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
PA USA
Not a puff since 12/23/2009 when my new toy (we're talking e-cigs) was charged.

AJ, you ruined my thoughts with your clarification of "toy". Hey, I'll take a thrill; even if it is a cheap thrill.

I guess most of us had that saving money idea when we started with e-cigs. But when we discovered all the toys and tastes available to us, saving money was no longer a reason. However, the best reason is because "we are not smoking cigarettes". And that is a really good reason.

Hey, Richie G, where are you?. Put down your cola and get away from that kids table. Your knees don't even fit under the table. Pick up your PV and vape with the smart people. You are welcome here (as is everyone) and it's good to have you join in.

Where have you gone, Karen171?

I have tried many, but I'm always looking for a new non-sweet tobacco juice. Anyone?

By the way, to clear up a question that has been asked of me a few times, my listening music of choice is the blues. That guy over there in my avatar is BB King, the original Blues Man. I'm just a skinny white guy with no musical talent whatsoever. However, I do sing in the shower.

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
I'd loooooove to find a good non sweet tobacco vape! I got into diy pretty quick because vendors juices were just too strong tasting and/or sweet to me. I love the bakery juices, do a mean coffee extract (coffee juices...yuck!!), but really miss the taste of a cig once in awhile. I don't want it all the time, but once in awhile when that craving hits....oh ya. No ry4, etc for this gal...that does NOT taste like any bakky I've ever tasted!

I keep reading these descriptions of 'tobacco' juices, have caved in and tried a few...LORDY how long has it been since these folks actually tasted tobacco?! Have they ever?! lol! I'm left thinking this elusive juice is a myth...but I'd love to be proven wrong :D

Bluesman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
PA USA
Bostonsnboxers, nice to see you. I have many talents, but DIY is not one of them. I wish it were. I have to rely on other people to make and sell juice. There are a few I like, but I keep looking for that flavor or flavors that someone is going to tell me about. I obviously do not have the same tastes as others. That's not a bad thing, it's just the way it is.

Oh, and coffee. Somehow I think a juice that would incorporate tobacco and coffee in the right mix, would be my vape. If it's out there, I haven't found it. I've looked.

So, I'm counting on you. If you find that tobacco juice, please remember to tell Bluesman. I'll be forever grateful to you.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have found the sweet spot for hubby (62 so he is one of us). He is vaping unflavored 36mg 50/50 nic juice. Is dripping it on a 2.8 atomizer on his 3.7 box mod. He says it is as close to "smoking" as can be. He is no longer a smoker.
He started at the tender age of 11. At times up to 3 sometimes 4 pad (he was a long distance truck driver) and leveled off at about 2 pad when he got off the road. This all goes to show that contrary to popular opinion an old dog can learn new tricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread