OMG!!!! My battery justn now EXPLODED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosenec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I mean that sucker sounded like someone fired a gun in my house! Scared the hell out of me. Have no ides why this happened. I'll try to get some pictures. It was on fire and everything. Just a simple kgo battery on the charger. Thank goodness it was in my bedroom. I had thought about charging from my computer while checking out the ecf. Sure am glad I didn't. I don't think I'd have a face left if I had. Please be careful everyone! Dang it now I only have two batteries. Did I mention this scared the hell out of me?

Look at the up side, the odds of you having another exploding battery incident are about 0. So you got that going for you.
I would get rid of that charger, sounds like that could be the problem. Theses chargers should be interchangeable between different brands of ego type batteries. If this happened with on batt is May do it again on another.

USB Charger cord
I just read that the charger was from a cig a like kit. I know some of the older ones were reversed. Can't think of the right term, but basically dangerous to uses with other batts

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Uh, there aint much I could do to test it. It's very melted and burnt. once I get the pics posted you'll see what I mean. It's one of those without the wire. It's like just one piece where one end is usb and the other end with the threading. It was originally for a cigalike kit I have. I hate to even admit that, because something in my gut wasn't comfortable. But this is also why I'm almost 100% SURE IT WAS MY FAULT.

Yeah, I hate to agree but sadly I have to. :(
Don't beat yourself up, just take it as a lesson. Don't keep thinking about what might have's. Just think thank god you weren't sleeping through this. Ok? You nor your loved ones are hurt. You know the why so now you know what not to do again. Right? :)

Fisheeboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Colorado, USA
Look at the up side, the odds of you having another exploding battery incident are about 0. So you got that going for you.
I would get rid of that charger, sounds like that could be the problem. Theses chargers should be interchangeable between different brands of ego type batteries. If this happened with on batt is May do it again on another.

USB Charger cord

I'll never have to worry about using that charger again. It's just as ruined as the battery. See, I thought same threads so why not? This is the second time I had a problem with the cordless chargers. The first one melted down. I thought maybe manufacturers defect but now I'm never gonna use a cordless one again. I just hate being scared of my other battery now.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Uh, there aint much I could do to test it. It's very melted and burnt. once I get the pics posted you'll see what I mean. It's one of those without the wire. It's like just one piece where one end is usb and the other end with the threading. It was originally for a cigalike kit I have. I hate to even admit that, because something in my gut wasn't comfortable. But this is also why I'm almost 100% SURE IT WAS MY FAULT.

Too bad it burned. I suppose you could find output specs on charger to see if within specs of your batt. I'm not sure it was your fault.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
I bought a starter kit with a "peculiar" charger: It had no circuitry in it. Just wires directly from the USB to the 510. I only found out after I opened it. And I opened it only because it had ruined one of my batteries, making it swell and malfunction. I guess I'm lucky the battery didn't explode.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I'll never have to worry about using that charger again. It's just as ruined as the battery. See, I thought same threads so why not? This is the second time I had a problem with the cordless chargers. The first one melted down. I thought maybe manufacturers defect but now I'm never gonna use a cordless one again. I just hate being scared of my other battery now.

Do you have the charger that does go with your other battery?
There are a ton of people that know about batteries and chargers that can help. What kind of battery are you using and what charger do you have for it?
I know they are going to need the numbers on the charger. If you can supply those it will help a lot.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
I bought a starter kit with a "peculiar" charger: It had no circuitry in it. Just wires directly from the USB to the 510. I only found out after I opened it. And I opened it only because it had ruined one of my batteries, making it swell and malfunction. I guess I'm lucky the battery didn't explode.
Yeah, you are. Swelling batteries are NO bueno.

Fisheeboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Colorado, USA
Yeah, I hate to agree but sadly I have to. :(
Don't beat yourself up, just take it as a lesson. Don't keep thinking about what might have's. Just think thank god you weren't sleeping through this. Ok? You nor your loved ones are hurt. You know the why so now you know what not to do again. Right? :)

Thank you so much Robin. your kindness and understanding is greatly appreciated by me. It kinda ticks me off that some folks would assume that this is me trolling. I can't even imagine someone doing that but sadly it would appear that it has happened.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
Thank you so much Robin. your kindness and understanding is greatly appreciated by me. It kinda ticks me off that some folks would assume that this is me trolling. I can't even imagine someone doing that but sadly it would appear that it has happened.
There HAVE been people who troll like this in the past. Please just try to be patient with those who automatically jump to conclusions.

It's the nature of the internet, I'm afraid.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida

Don't be too awful hard on them. Believe me, trolls have done things like this. Yeah there are those kinds of people out there. I just happen to know you a little ;)

It'll be ok. :)

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
the kind of gun that goes BANG really loudly

I guess that could have been taken sarcastically but not meant that way.

The rat/mouse part was meant to say "please don't exaggerate".

A howitzer is an artillery piece. That would shake the place. My point with .357 and Howitzer was to get an idea of just how loud because there are so many guns in this world.

So maybe a better phrasing would be, could people outside of your place hear this or not quite that loud?

Fisheeboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Colorado, USA
Do you have the charger that does go with your other battery?
There are a ton of people that know about batteries and chargers that can help. What kind of battery are you using and what charger do you have for it?
I know they are going to need the numbers on the charger. If you can supply those it will help a lot.

A couple of days ago I went and got me one of those boxes from walmart that folks have been raving about and was putting all my stuff in it and couldn't find the original charger to those batteries so I decided to use the little one instead. It was nice and compact so it seemed like a win win. The other charger has to e in my room somewhere I'll go try to find it and see if I can get some numbers off the ruined one.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Cig-a-like Charger
180ma. to 250ma.

Your Battery charges off 420-500ma.

Likely the charger fried, overloaded and supercharged the battery overheating and expanding to the point it ruptured.

Crxess, he's afraid of charging his other battery/ies. If he supplies the specs of his charger and what kind of battery, would you be able to tell if they are compatible?

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
A couple of days ago I went and got me one of those boxes from walmart that folks have been raving about and was putting all my stuff in it and couldn't find the original charger to those batteries so I decided to use the little one instead. It was nice and compact so it seemed like a win win. The other charger has to e in my room somewhere I'll go try to find it and see if I can get some numbers off the ruined one.

Do you have a battery and a charger that actually do belong together?

Fisheeboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Colorado, USA
I guess that could have been taken sarcastically but not meant that way.

The rat/mouse part was meant to say "please don't exaggerate".

A howitzer is an artillery piece. That would shake the place. My point with .357 and Howitzer was to get an idea of just how loud because there are so many guns in this world.

So maybe a better phrasing would be, could people outside of your place hear this or not quite that loud?
I'm sorry, it can be hard to catch things like that when just reading them. If you were in my driveway you probably would not have heard it. If you were outside on the porch then you would have almost for sure heard it.

keonee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
USA
Well after reading this thread I went to Amazon and purchased the Lipo Battery Fireproof Bag Storage with free shipping for $6.80. For the cheap price it's worth having a little more security when charging batteries.

Thanks 5150Marley for posting the link about these bags....never heard of them till I read your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread