OMG VV tech info/review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
It arrived today, have already gone through 2 battery changes, so have enough gathered to give an early review and some observations. Unit is technically 2 pieces, the battery tube and the controller head. When it arrives comes in one piece. Included is a blue protected 1600mah 18500 batt, and a universal charger that in the manual states can switch to us/world automatically without issue. Tested this pv with a nipple top efest imr 18500 batt as well on the second go round.

Will first go into the charger, it's much like the one shipped with the OMGad only it's rated for 450ma. Took it 217 minutes to charge from when the device cut off (3.2v), and final off charger voltage was 4.22v. Haven't tested this with an imr battery for charging, but have a feeling it shouldn't be used with them either just like the OMGad charger.

Next item we'll touch up on is the screen itself and some of the options on it. As Dirtay J has pointed out, when you click it 3-5 times quickly (say 3-5 because sometimes mine will shut off with only 3 clicks, others 5, same for the on function) it says "Goodbye, My Master". Every time you hold the button down for more than .4-5 seconds it registers as a puff. Nice feature, except have noticed two quirks. At puff 166 on my first charge reset to zero out of nowhere (voltage didn't change), and did it again on puff 211 after that. With the second batt reset at puff 146, again on puff 163, and again on puff 213. The other quirk was when testing the cut off afterwards the screen would be garbled with every click, and it didn't fix itself until left sitting for about 4 minutes. Date and time can be set with enough clicks of the minus button to bring up the screen, but if you take more than 8 seconds to change the battery it loses it's memory, or if you have to do a hard reset (will get into that later). Some will reset it every time, personally don't see a point. The minutes used feature is another feature it has, but simply doesn't work on mine. The battery indicator comes up every time with the puff count in cell phone style measurement, so no way to know the actual voltage of the batt, but it does automatically cut itself off when the batt reaches 3.2v (3.22 on the protected batt, 3.21 on the imr were their respected cut off voltages). Adjusting the voltage is easy, hit the plus or minus button under the screen. Power button is on the other side and has been very responsive thus far.

With vv devices there are 3 major factors you're looking for- durability, accuracy, and amp limit. Will touch on two of those three today because durability is something that 9 hours of use just doesn't answer. Will be abusing it over the next few weeks and report back how it holds up.

Before I touch on anything else, these tests were done with a self powered multi-meter and a special adapter I've made for such testing. I do not use in-line voltage testers some vendors sell for a very specific reason, on a vv device yes they will tell you the voltage on it to an extent, but remember where the inline tester gets it's power from, the pv's battery. This can lead to false results. If you have one use it as a guide, not as an end all be all testing device.

Accuracy though is simple, does it provide the voltage it says it does. There is only one vv on the market that is spot on everytime, no matter what the charge on the batt, not expecting that at all from this device. The best lavatube on the market is still +.2-3v at full charge, .1 +/- after 4.01v on the batt, and once the battery hits 3.45v it's -.2-.4v (numbers taken from on and off load voltage). With the OMG vv with a full charge on it's shipped battery was .1v higher than the voltage selected all accross the board. With the imr batt I used on the second charge, again .1v over off load accross the board. This continued over the entire charge of both batts. On load was a different story (used a 3.3 ohm cool cart for this test so all voltages would be available, will go into that in the final part). With the supplied batt at full charge the voltage was +.1-.2v, after the batt hit 3.99v was -.1-.2v, and at 3.45v was -.3-.4v. With the imr voltage was +.2v at full charge, +/- .1v after the batt hit 3.99v, and -.2-.4v after the batt hit 3.45v. There was more accuracy with using the imr batt than the supplied, but remember the imr also has less mah (1100 vs 1600) so won't last as long.

Lastly comes the amperage limit. This controls how much voltage the OMG vv will actually put out. Higher the amperage, higher amount of voltage can be used on lower resistance cartos. Some vv pv's have an error code to telling you when you've gone past it's limit (provari and vmax being the first two to come to mind), you have to lower the voltage before you can vape. With the OMG vv it doesn't tell you you've hit your limit, just won't supply any more voltage than what the limit is (just like the lavatube). According to Wader sir it's a 3.0a limit on these pv's. Mine topped out at 2.8a. With that 3.3ohm cool cart could use every voltage without issue, even at 6v it's only pulling 1.81a. With a 2.3ohm wow carto didn't experience any voltage limiting. With a 2.0ohm dc tank though, a completely different story. No matter what I had it set to past 4.3v, 4.32v was all it would provide (was pulling 2.77a at that voltage). With a 1.5ohm dc anything over 3.9v didn't matter, 3.87v (pulling 2.76a) being it's voltage limit. Didn't matter what battery I used, the imr or the protected, same exact results.

Will finish with the other known quirks, twice did the pv just completely cut off on me for no reason. After removing the head unit for 10 seconds (or battery) came back on without issue (save all the settings went bye bye). If you hit the plus minus buttons while vaping, it can sometimes cause the screen not to function for a few puffs. Mine only came with the one adapter (two holes), not with it and the three hole adapter (like newb sir).

Will update this as the torture testing begins....

Dirtay J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
yeah, I was anxiously awaiting this. And I am very surprised at the numbers. also eventhough I have no way to check the voltage on mine, but with a 1.5dc cart I think I am getting to a higher voltage. at least to what the screen says. I notice a difference in flavor and vapor up to 4.8 and on a 2.0dc up to 5.8.

and yeah I also am interested in your torture testing. I am still mainly using mine. Still so far so good with IMR battery. But using the included battery (and the battery that comes with the OMGad) it will turn off on its own and reset the puff counter.

Thank you Sir

Dirtay J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
yeah Mr. Morandir sir, it could be part mental. plus like i said i am only going off taste and taste is so different from time to time in general so it is really hard to say without the proper equipment. with all the devices i have been getting(I have the L-Rider Lambo 4.0 showing up tomorrow and i think i am ordering a Vmax right now and when the Zmax comes out I will be getting one of those. lol) i should get the proper equipment to check this stuff. I am only getting all this stuff because I want to try everything, not to do reviews or anything so maybe since I am getting stuff i might as well do some reviews and such. lol. Only reason I did my review for the OMG VV was because I love V4L and this device had a bad rep before V4L picked it up. Also you hadn't gotten yours yet.

Dirtay J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
yeah, well the lambo is "supposed" to have a 4.0 amp switch. yes i know it generally comes in at 3ampsish. Plus it is the newist version that just came out. I just have a problem ordering everything I see that interests me. Good or not...lol(happy i can afford it or i would be going broke this way, cause even if i didnt have the money i think i would be ordering everything i see. or going crazy into debt! lol)

I actually Like my VV Gripper more than the young june. even though they are basically the same. it has a better screen and i like how it fits in my hand. I'm still on the fence on the Vmax. I just dont trust stacked batteries. eventhough in my RC cars i use beat up lipos that could go up at any moment and run them in series and parallel with packs that don't stay matched together. just something about a device i put up to my face that keeps me on edge. But i keep hearing all this hype that I might try it. Thats what I like about the Z. not only is is VW and VV it takes 2 18350s(with extended cap) or 1 18650!

Jinx10000

Aug 29, 2012
US
One more question. If you set the battery at 6 volts on the 1.5 dual coil tank does it maintain 3.9 volts throughout the batteries charge or does the voltage actually drop. I'm curious if it's just inaccurate or not able to maintain the desired voltage if it's increased throughout the day. Hope that makes sense.

I haven't even tried one but I assume you would change the voltage to match your taste if it were to change.

Last edited:

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
It will maintain it until the very end sir. There's no voltage boost with the dual coils and a fullycharged batt, but there is the fade once you get to 1 bar of batt power. For example on the 1.4ohm dc was using on it yesterday, it topped out at 3.8v actual output. Once there was one bar of power left was only putting out 3.74v.

Exactly sir. That's the point of vv. If you check out my most recent blog here on ecf have a starters guide for mods...

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Wanted to give an update, it's been almost a month. The omg vv is still working, survived a week at work even. Still occasionally cuts out around 3.6v on the battery, and the screen does get garbled from time to time when it hits two bars of power left, but that's been it. No problems with using either the high drain batteries or the 18500 protected it shipped with. At the higher/limit voltages though get better life from the high drains despite the lower mah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread