On Vaping, PG, and the welfare of your cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

llamainmypocket

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
United States
It has been observed that propylene glycol is toxic to cats and for two days I vaped outside because of this. It then occurred to me, looking at my Eroll, that I am worried over less than one half of the volume of my tank which is then dispersed into the air. Then my cats would have to breath that extremely diluted PG vapor before it settled... That is what I'm worried about? 1/1000 of a milliliter?

I think for propylene glycol to be an issue of toxicity for my cats it would have to be totally impossible for my cats to expel the substance from their body and therefore build it up over years like tuna fish does with mercury.

Can anyone say this is the case for cats and propylene glycol?

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I don't think your vaping will hurt your cats. It has been established only that studies found large doses of propylene glycol when fed to cats can produce an abnormality known as Heinz body in the cats’ red blood cells. This only shortens the life span of the blood cells themselves. I doubt your vaping exposes them to the quantities required to cause this. What ratio of PG/VG are you vaping?

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Don't let them drink your nic juice and they should be fine. I have 3 cats in my house. However, as a fellow cat owner, I do want to point out that there are quite a few common house plants that are really dangerous to have with cats....most of which people never even think about being harmful to pets.

ASPCA | Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants

Targetlock

Apr 10, 2013
Hawaii
... I am worried over less than one half of the volume of my tank which is then dispersed into the air. Then my cats would have to breath that extremely diluted PG vapor before it settled... That is what I'm worried about? 1/1000 of a milliliter?

The measurement for particles/stuff in the air is PPM (parts per million). You'd have to be in a very small room (like a camping tent) with little to no air flow to raise the toxicity of the air content to any significant level. Inhaling atomized particles mixed with ambient air is different from actual liquid drops being ingested orally. Unless your animal has a confirmed allergy (an overreaction to PG, worse than what is considered normal by veterinarians), there should be little risk to your cat(s).

Just make sure you have good air flow throughout the house with the air being exchanged with the outdoors sufficiently.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Propylene glycol is in so many everyday items, including some pet foods, air fresheners, your body lotions and hair products etc. I think that if kitty ate it that it could harm him/her. If like another person stated, you vaped so heavily in a really small non-ventilated area that it might do some harm.

There were cases in the past that cats when exposed to Febreeze started losing their hair and got sick to their stomachs. This was due to deodorizing chemicals and heavy propylene glycol content. Air fresheners like those leave a heavy film on objects like carpet and furniture that cats walk on and then when they "bathe" themselves they ingest. Perfume also has propylene glycol as well as body sprays like BODS, and those other mens body sprays.

We surround ourselves with so many toxins as well as propylene glycol in our everyday lives and now it seems everyone is so paranoid about PG. Yes there is no way to know how it will affect us in decades to come, but compared to the cigarette smoke we inhaled and all the car and airplane exhaust its definitely so minor.

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Propylene glycol is in so many everyday items, including some pet foods, air fresheners, your body lotions and hair products etc. I think that if kitty ate it that it could harm him/her. If like another person stated, you vaped so heavily in a really small non-ventilated area that it might do some harm.

There were cases in the past that cats when exposed to Febreeze started losing their hair and got sick to their stomachs. This was due to deodorizing chemicals and heavy propylene glycol content. Air fresheners like those leave a heavy film on objects like carpet and furniture that cats walk on and then when they "bathe" themselves they ingest. Perfume also has propylene glycol as well as body sprays like BODS, and those other mens body sprays.

We surround ourselves with so many toxins as well as propylene glycol in our everyday lives and now it seems everyone is so paranoid about PG. Yes there is no way to know how it will affect us in decades to come, but compared to the cigarette smoke we inhaled and all the car and airplane exhaust its definitely so minor.

But this PG is an an e-Cig that makes it evil.

No but seriously. I've vaped for years around my cats and they all are still healthy according to my vet. Just love your pets don't vape in their faces and your cats should be okay.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I had the same concerns when I started...my cats (2) are my kids. Manufacturers of cat food took PG out of the mix after what was learned. The effect is the same when they eat things like garlic and onions--it CAN kill them (RBC can't regenerate and irreversible anemia ensues).

I think those items are probably more hazardous than the PG in our juice (from dropping on the floor during prep, etc).

After considering how little of the PG is getting into the air, and how little is actually in my juice, I'm not real concerned. If I start to see adverse effects, I'll move back outside like I did when I smoked.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Don't let your cats vape. :p

More important, I think, is to not let them have access to your juice bottles. It would NOT be good if they got a taste for Catnip Juice (hey, it's probably out there, somewhere....), because, as mentioned, eating / drinking it would not be healthy for them, and you would be out a bottle of juice.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I dont think anyone can say for sure as far as I know theirs been no tests to say ether way. So you should do as you feel is best. Smoking can poison your cats also the smoke gets on their fur they lick it off and the toxings get in their body this way. You could always have a Vape room so you can vape with the cats in a different room. I personally dont think vaping would harm them but then again they are not my pets so I do not have a emotional attachment to them like you do.

Last edited:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Really? are we really going to keep going there?
Just about anything that can be ingested can be dangerous for an animal.

The smart thing is not to allow access to anything you don't want your pet to ingest, period. People miss the simple things. Grapes, chocolate, onion, etc.

Really? you don't get this is a discussion forum and this person wanted to discuss this? Dude come on man. I mean....... like you know..... get with the program;-)

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
PG is fed to livestock all the time. It's actually the key component in "animal friendly antifreeze" for your car because the standard ethylene glycol *will* kill animals (and people) if it's drank.

As already stated, cats are especially at risk to a disorder caused by exposure to large quantities of PG but even then it's not necessarily every cat and it's certainly not at the levels found in "second hand" vapor. PG is frequently used in many medications, especially with those that are not water soluble... for humans and pets a like.

Four cats in our family here.

BigBaby

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
West GA
My cat bites like a piranha, eats a diet of 90% people food, and his parents and 5 siblings who rejected him are still living outside of my apartment....I'm not sharing my vapor with him too so we have nothing to worry about.

IMG_20130409_144610_zpse122f46a.jpg

Last edited:

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Detroit MI
llamainmypocket:9445013 said:
It has been observed that propylene glycol is toxic to cats and for two days I vaped outside because of this. It then occurred to me, looking at my Eroll, that I am worried over less than one half of the volume of my tank which is then dispersed into the air. Then my cats would have to breath that extremely diluted PG vapor before it settled... That is what I'm worried about? 1/1000 of a milliliter?

I think for propylene glycol to be an issue of toxicity for my cats it would have to be totally impossible for my cats to expel the substance from their body and therefore build it up over years like tuna fish does with mercury.

Can anyone say this is the case for cats and propylene glycol?
Lol don't expect anybody here to admit there's anything negative about vaping bro

YogaMist

Apr 24, 2013
Okc
my cat is just glad he quit smoking :D he not worried about 2nd hand vapor

Right! I used to smoke in the garage and sometimes I would find that one or both of my cats would sneak out there and I not realize it. I started noticing that after I would come inside from smoking (either in the garage or outside) one of them would always come sit close to me on the couch. I started thinking that she was addicted from the second hand smoke. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread