One last battery question - hope this WILL be the last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I use ac/dc converters;
bought 5 a few months ago; 40watt, magnetics usa; 3 volts to 12 volts in 1.5 volt steps.
I use them mostly at 7.5 volts as input to my vamo's;
rigged up the adapter by using bolts nuts and rubber washers
There you go. The top cap from a cheap clone mod would work fine as an adapter, too. I'm too lazy so far, but I have been meaning to get around to building a wall-powered vape wand for a while.

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
I use ac/dc converters;
bought 5 a few months ago; 40watt, magnetics usa; 3 volts to 12 volts in 1.5 volt steps.
I use them mostly at 7.5 volts as input to my vamo's;
rigged up the adapter by using bolts nuts and rubber washers

There you go. The top cap from a cheap clone mod would work fine as an adapter, too. I'm too lazy so far, but I have been meaning to get around to building a wall-powered vape wand for a while.

Wow!!! It was only a thought to begin with but you've both set me up with a game changer. I think I'm going to start a new thread on the subject because this could solve my battery worries when the ban comes into force :)

You are fantastic people. Thankyou.

Reactions: mauricem00

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Wow!!! It was only a thought to begin with but you've both set me up with a game changer. I think I'm going to start a new thread on the subject because this could solve my battery worries when the ban comes into force :)

You are fantastic people. Thankyou.
Lol, any time. It's not hard, really. The standard wall wart you use to charge your laptop is basically the same thing. All you need is one a bit more powerful and variable voltage/wattage would be nice :) I could make one, if I had easily available parts suitable for the 220v,50hz wall current common in Europe. Anybody savvy with electronics could. Come to that, a variable wattage vape mod board doesn't have to be powered by batteries. It wants X volts at Y current, but an appropriately sized transformer/inverter can do that job. No reason you couldn't part out an iStick and hook it up to the wall.

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
Lol, any time. It's not hard, really. The standard wall wart you use to charge your laptop is basically the same thing. All you need is one a bit more powerful and variable voltage/wattage would be nice :) I could make one, if I had easily available parts suitable for the 220v,50hz wall current common in Europe. Anybody savvy with electronics could. Come to that, a variable wattage vape mod board doesn't have to be powered by batteries. It wants X volts at Y current, but an appropriately sized transformer/inverter can do that job. No reason you couldn't part out an iStick and hook it up to the wall.

Thats what I was thinking is if I supply 4.2 volts and 30 amps that would be the same as a VTC but the only convertors I could find were 1.5amps which I figured was too low.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Thats what I was thinking is if I supply 4.2 volts and 30 amps that would be the same as a VTC but the only convertors I could find were 1.5amps which I figured was too low.
It is too low, you'll fry the power supply. But they make bigger power supplies. Have a look at the websites where they're touting DIY CNC machines, for example. The spindle motors on CNC routers/mills are usually DC-- most of them are not 30 amp, 5 or 10 is the best, usually-- and they are variable voltage from 0-30 or 12-48, to control the spindle speed. If all else fails, you could pay somebody good with electronics to make one. Camping supply stores, or RV shops also sell big AC/DC inverters.

opticruby

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
UK
It is too low, you'll fry the power supply. But they make bigger power supplies. Have a look at the websites where they're touting DIY CNC machines, for example. The spindle motors on CNC routers/mills are usually DC-- most of them are not 30 amp, 5 or 10 is the best, usually-- and they are variable voltage from 0-30 or 12-48, to control the spindle speed. If all else fails, you could pay somebody good with electronics to make one. Camping supply stores, or RV shops also sell big AC/DC inverters.

I think I was looking at the wrong ones before. I'm starting to find them on the DIY CNC web sites you mentioned. 13 amps and 36 volts, that could run something like a vamo I'm thinking.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Not so much a ban but a huge drop in demand. From what I can gather things like VTC's are brought in large quanties from sony and broken down into single cells to be sold on to us vapers. I doubt sony would sell me a couple of single batterys.

I don't think batteries will be a concern. The only "problem" would be flashlight and RC vendors getting a whole lot of new business.

Just wanted to mention that another source of decent battery info/discussion would be RC forums. Like HeliFreak. They focus more on LiPos, but some info is general, and most battery types are used in one form or another.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I think I was looking at the wrong ones before. I'm starting to find them on the DIY CNC web sites you mentioned. 13 amps and 36 volts, that could run something like a vamo I'm thinking.
You're headed in the right direction. All you really need is a transformer and a Wheatstone bridge to clip down to DC. But it would be nice to get an actual power supply fit for the work.

Reactions: opticruby

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I don't think batteries will be a concern. The only "problem" would be flashlight and RC vendors getting a whole lot of new business.

Just wanted to mention that another source of decent battery info/discussion would be RC forums. Like HeliFreak. They focus more on LiPos, but some info is general, and most battery types are used in one form or another.
I tend to agree. I want to build one just for convenience, not because I'm worried about batteries. They make 5000+mAh 3.7 LiPo cells for tablet computers, albeit I don't think they'll have the C rating a vaper needs. Still, you're right about the RC types having good ones. I was cyphering around on eBay the other day and saw an 11.1v 3S cell at 5000mAh and *75C* for a mere 500+ amperes! The new 200W DNA board, supposedly available Real Soon Now, is set up to use 3S LiPos.

Reactions: WattWick

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

No.
The vamo can accept
- 3.2 volts to 4.2 volts
or
- 6.4 volts to 8.4 volts

That is the reason that I use an adapter which happens to have 7.5 volts as one of the options; 3 volts is too low; 4.5 is too high; 6 is too low; 7.5 falls in the working range; 9 is too high

If you can't find an adapter that would work, you can just use whatever is available and build a coil to suit;
I would use a 12 volt source, because 12 volts is car voltage, so there are alot of devices designed for 12 volts; plus you can plug your device directly into the ciglighter of your car if you've designed it for 12 volts.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I highly recommend using a standard DC-DC converter to bring down the voltage from a standard AC-DC power supply (sized for whatever wattage you'll be using). The OKR-T10 is a very popular converter being used for DIY projects and, IIRC, can get you up to 50W. You can use a 12V power supply, easily available everywhere, and adjust the voltage via a potentiometer (basically, a resistor with a knob to adjust its value) to create a VV mod. There are even box mod kits using the OKR-T10. You can go a lot higher than 10A though, easily to 30A, and a lot higher for a lot more money.

You could bring the voltage down via a voltage divider but the voltage you drop gets wasted as heat...a lot of heat. :)
    Better to use a converter to adjust the voltage. Makes it easier to change voltages too as a VV mod might need tweaking for each coil you build unless they're very close in resistance.

You could also just use a DNA40 board with a 5V AC-DC power with its "trim" voltage adjust set to 4.2V or lower. Or, for those who need more power, a DNA200 board and a 12V power supply. You only need three tiny resistors to fool the board into thinking it's connected to three batteries. This way you get VV and VW control.

Last edited:
    Reactions: suprtrkr

Papillon61

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 22, 2015
    Sunshine Isle
    LoL I'm sitting here laughing. It's like you are speaking a totally foreign language but throwing in a couple of words in English here and there like most languages do these days... so bla bla bla power supply bla bla bla adapter bla bla bla potentiometer (see how clever I am I knew that one :)) bla bla bla DNA 40 board bla bla bla. It's really funny. To me it's like something out for Star Trek :D

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Oops, sorry...

I was thinking that instead of a wall wart or laptop power supply that you could use one of the available vaping boards ("chips") instead. This would give you a display, variable voltage and variable wattage, etc. All the comforts. :)

Or, if you wanted to do some wiring, you can get simple boards that would convert the voltage from anything that puts out 12V or less into something you can drive a coil with.

WattWick

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2013
    Cold Norway
    I tend to agree. I want to build one just for convenience, not because I'm worried about batteries. They make 5000+mAh 3.7 LiPo cells for tablet computers, albeit I don't think they'll have the C rating a vaper needs. Still, you're right about the RC types having good ones. I was cyphering around on eBay the other day and saw an 11.1v 3S cell at 5000mAh and *75C* for a mere 500+ amperes! The new 200W DNA board, supposedly available Real Soon Now, is set up to use 3S LiPos.

Ye them lipos are completely different beasts. However awestruck some are by our high powered mods, it pales to the kilowatts of power the RC crowd pulls to power their stuff. Where our highest powered mods run at about 200-300 watts, that wattage would merely get you a micro in the RC heli world.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 18, 2015
    carson city nevada
    I have been using Li-PO batteries in my model airplanes for many years and never had any problems. they are safe if handled properly.flew my first electric powered model airplane in 1978 so I have a little experience using batteries at high discharge rates.the chargers sold for them work great on vape batteries as well.some Ni-cads and nimh can also handle high discharge current and only vent when they get hot. I have been considering building a box mod using a 2 cell Li-PO to experiment with high voltage coils. I do have a background in electronics but believe there is a way around any ban they may pass.I do have a collection of mechanical mods. RTAs and a 3 year supply of nicotine sitting in my refrigerator. many of us found a way around the punitive tobacco taxes some states enacted and I am sure we will find a way around any roadblock to vaping as well.going back to smoking is just not an option.

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    LoL I'm sitting here laughing. It's like you are speaking a totally foreign language but throwing in a couple of words in English here and there like most languages do these days... so bla bla bla power supply bla bla bla adapter bla bla bla potentiometer (see how clever I am I knew that one :)) bla bla bla DNA 40 board bla bla bla. It's really funny. To me it's like something out for Star Trek :D
    No prob, Papillon. Those who do speak this foreign tongue will be happy to help. I'm a mere tyro, but the board has a good number of electron pushers who do thoroughly understand all this, and who are exceeding generous of their time and talent.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread